Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,666 members, 7,820,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago (3234 Views)

Which Of These Dog Breeds Do You Own Or Wish To Own? (Photos) / These Are The Cutest Dog Breeds According To Science (Photos) / Checkout The Most Dangerous DOG Breeds. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 9:52am On Sep 20, 2018
The below pictures would show the current appearance of some dog breeds and how they looked before they were fully and consistently bred grin
It's quite obvious that a whole lot of changes occurred in almost all the dog breeds right from 100years ago till this very moment though some breeders have started mixing and mixing the breeds in such an annoying way that makes dogs now look somehow I can't even imagine. If I may ask what are you mixing??
Take a good look at the pictures I'm gonna be posting and I'm sure you'd see that there are improvements on each breed most especially my favourite breed (German Shepherd) tongue
I won't write much ooo my people cos network is really holding me down that I've even been unable to update my threads

1 German Shepherd
As you can see there's an improvement in the shape and size of German Shepherd breed. I guess there used to be no Slant back but how did this happen? Someone should be able to tell us this.
I'm not expert enough to point out a whole lot of difference but as a bigggy biggy and heavy heavy dog lover I'd try point out the little I can see

Note:
sure! I'm getting the pictures from the Internet, please do compare them smiley
Edited:
Source: Pintrest, Wikimedia and Google.
YOU CAN AS WELL POST A PICTURE OF YOUR DOG AS AT NOW grin let's See your own version of the breed

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 9:59am On Sep 20, 2018
Guys I don't think I'd be able to update this very fast, the network is very bad angry

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 10:48am On Sep 20, 2018
Bull Terrier
The difference I can figure out here is quite funny.
Who else noticed that the front part of the terrier's face changed by having a nice curve which makes the dog look more serious and strong.
Again in the last 100years I guess bull terrier's ears were usually floppy but now in recent times we can see that the ear is a kind of erect

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 10:55am On Sep 20, 2018
3 English BullDog
Lol I fear this breed gan ooo...they live on an average of 6.25years cos they actually suffer from any health problem you can think of as a direct result of us making them into caricatures.
They can bark ehn lolz grin and their bark sometimes shake the gate tongue

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 10:59am On Sep 20, 2018
4 Basset Hound
Basset Hound is a French dog and is among the oldest breeds in the world.
Hmm I can't see much difference except that this dog has now been bred to have a face looking like that of a sheep... Am I the only one that noticed this

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 11:06am On Sep 20, 2018
5 Saint Bernard
Sincerely, I salute the works of God and Breeders on this particular breed of dog. It has really turned out to become a big/massive breed in terms of height and weight, it then have a very good look making it look like a toy dog... Abi

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by welzyj2(m): 11:23am On Sep 20, 2018
AfricaNigerian:
Bull Terrier
Then

Now

The difference I can figure out here is quite funny.
Who else noticed that the front part of the terrier's face changed by having a nice curve which makes the dog look more serious and strong.
Again in the last 100years I guess bull terrier's ears were usually floppy but now in recent times we can see that the ear is a kind of erect

still floppy but cropped in the pic you posted
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 11:28am On Sep 20, 2018
6 Boxer
What I could notice here is that in the last 100 years, Boxer's ears were always erect but now floppy... Dog lover ni mi ooo nnkan ti mo ba notice ni mo ma so, so nobody should insult me lols I'm just a dog lover that knows nothing much.
Among dogs, the Boxer breed of today has one of the highest cancer rates. Today’s Boxers also have a lot of trouble controlling body temperature and are sensitive to fatal overheating.

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 11:30am On Sep 20, 2018
welzyj2:

still floppy but cropped in the pic you posted
wow! Me am kuku not a dog expert, thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by welzyj2(m): 11:33am On Sep 20, 2018
AfricaNigerian:
6 Boxer
Then

Now

What I could notice here is that in the last 100 years, Boxer's ears were always erect but now floppy... Dog lover ni mi ooo nnkan ti mo ba notice ni mo ma so, so nobody should insult me lols I'm just a dog lover that knows nothing much.
Among dogs, the Boxer breed of today has one of the highest cancer rates. Today’s Boxers also have a lot of trouble controlling body temperature and are sensitive to fatal overheating.

nice posts.....i guess you finding it difficult to recognize a cropped ear kindly look closely at the ear i'm sure you will notice it
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 11:53am On Sep 20, 2018
welzyj2:

nice posts.....i guess you finding it difficult to recognize a cropped ear kindly look closely at the ear i'm sure you will notice it
lol! Yea I guess I can't distinguish btw them... Thanks! I'd try figure it out

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 11:58am On Sep 20, 2018
7 Pug
This breed though still have matured looks now seems to have a little bit of young facial appearance irrespective of its age tongue... I love their black mask sha lolz shocked... There's a difference in the tail ooo, do check it.
Another thing is that, in the last 100years there wasn't any black mask on pugs face, their face was a kind of same colour with their body... So I guess you can spot the clear difference though there are still other differences our experts in the house would be able to figure out

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 12:02pm On Sep 20, 2018
Seems I'm typing like I'm drunk right Don't mind me I'm not drunk I only drank BIGI orange drink joined with 2 RITE GALA and it sometimes makes me feel high whenever I consume it in excess.... Let's proceed to the promise land abeg, keep scrolling down!!!
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by IdeeEsperanza(m): 12:04pm On Sep 20, 2018
I just need a breed of dog that I can kill and make a full pot of peppersoup meat after some years. grin grin
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 12:08pm On Sep 20, 2018
8 Bearded Collie
Omo make I no lie this breed has really been toyed with... As In breeders have made a different thing out of this breed which is very nice. grin
In those days (last 100+ years) bearded Collie used to have a strong appearance though was with long coats but presently our breeders has turned the dog into a toy breed.... Bobbysaxy and co, Berra don't lemme catch you lolz

Wait ooo!!! Collies used to look ugly and a kind of serious, who else noticed this But now (Buhari's Tenure) collies looks like a toy dog and so cute.

Surely, Breeders are even capable of turning an Ekuku into A very Cute breed of Toy dog grin I fear breeders ooo, now I call them "DESTINY CHANGER" Hey! Bobbysaxy abi Bobysaxy na joke I dey joke ooo am just your boy wink

Note Am Not Drunk, Am just a lil bit high

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 12:21pm On Sep 20, 2018
9 white Terrier
Guys no much difference except that "this breed of dog used to be a very functional athletic dog but today it has been hampered by improper breeding... Such is life

Oya my guy keep scrolling as more post awaits you. grin

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 1:06pm On Sep 20, 2018
10 Saluki
I'm sure that only few Nigerians knows this breed.
Salukis are quite tall.
Anyway, The Salukis of today have had their skeletal appearance enhanced, and it introduced a higher rate of heart problems.
such a pirry, nice dog sha.

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 1:11pm On Sep 20, 2018
11 Dachshund
I really do not like this breed cos of it's appearance (short body and an Ekuke's face). Actually the face is good but the short body is what I do not like so don't get me wrong wrong wrong....
Looking at this photo provides a perfect perspective as to the cruelty of aestheticism. It might seem comical at first to see the jangling walk of these dogs, but they are suffering. They have a huge risk of back problems because of how we have shrunk and stretched them

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 1:56pm On Sep 20, 2018
12 Doberman Pinscher
Dobermans today versus 100-years-ago are less stocky and seem to come in different color patterns (before, it was only acceptable to have a black and brown coat with a small white patch ‘allowed’ on the chest). Their ears used to be cropped and very short, and today, some owners still choose to pin their dog's ears, which is becoming less tolerated.

Guys! The difference is clear

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 2:01pm On Sep 20, 2018
13 Airedale Terrier
The difference is very much striking!!!
the Airedale Terrier has been bred to have longer, softer fur but in ancient times their fur was referred to as being ‘hard and wiry.’
The picture below would justify

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 2:03pm On Sep 20, 2018
IdeeEsperanza:
I just need a breed of dog that I can kill and make a full pot of peppersoup meat after some years. grin grin
smh... Which one do you need lemme dash you

Something that I'm dying to have, you wanna eat it as food... Smh
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 3:02pm On Sep 20, 2018
14 Shetland Sheepdog
you can't believe that "Dogs of All Nations" reported that the Shetland Sheepdog had a weight range of just 7-10 pounds back in 1915, with much shorter fur. Today, these sheepdogs weigh at least 20 pounds, and have long, flowing fur, as well as a longer, sloped snout....Amazing, Isn't it?? Lols

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 20, 2018
I prefer the way the had looked 100yrs ago, they should have left it like that, I like it, it resembles more like a wolf.
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by Seun(m): 5:16pm On Sep 20, 2018
Source of photos?
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by SirLakes: 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2018
Following smiley
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 8:25pm On Sep 20, 2018
Seun:
Source of photos?
wikimedia, pintrest and Google. Posting the remaining sites would get me banned cos they've been flagged on Nairaland.
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 8:26pm On Sep 20, 2018
mhd5757:
I prefer the way the had looked 100yrs ago, they should have left it like that, I like it, it resembles more like a wolf.
same here sir. Especially the Gsd and saint Bernard
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2018
SirLakes:

Following smiley
nice! I'm going to post more tomorrow or midnight, network is bad over here.
Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 8:48pm On Sep 20, 2018
15 Basenji
Besenji are popular known to be a barkless dog in Africa and surely they can live for up to 15years if well cared for.
They often come out in a brown and white colour and sometimes blackwhite mixture.
The changes since the last 100years in Basenjis can be easily noticed and one major one is "size" and "fit". Basenjis are now bred to be more fit and big than it used to be in ancient times, their natural hunting skill is also said to have increased.
Talking about size, Basenjis now look very Strong. The below pictures should be able to justify.

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 12:24am On Sep 21, 2018
16 Siberian Husky
They've been a change in size in this breed yet depends on how well the dog is being fed and trained.
It is also noticed that over the years, Huskies have had the size of their coats increased making them more beautiful and a little bit bigger with a very strong looking body formation. sad

A picture of a Siberia Husky before the last 100years years and 2018 can be seen below. undecided

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by AfricaNigerian: 12:52am On Sep 21, 2018
17 Rottweiler
I find it very hard to hard an old Rottweiler pics (between 1910 - 1918) but tried to feed you with the below ones.
The first picture shows a Rott back in 1916 why the second pics shows the look of a Purebred RottWeiler in 2018
There should be differences but sincerely I can't find any sad angry

NOTE: rotts are more beautiful when their tail is intact cry stop tail docking abeg!!! undecided

1 Like

Re: See What different dog Breeds Looked Like 100years ago by Floryangel8: 7:53pm On Sep 21, 2018
No wonder rot is still very active and alert. It was not tampered with so much

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pure Female Adult German Shepherd Dog (GSD) For Sale!!! / New Slant Back Gsd Pups (parents Pix Included) / My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.