Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,260 members, 7,839,319 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Disinterested In Exploring Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians So Disinterested In Exploring Nigeria? (474 Views)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Disinterested In Exploring Nigeria? by tourismlove: 11:46am On Sep 20, 2018
Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine once asked me, why are Nigerians so disinterested in exploring Nigeria?

The answer wasn’t far-fetched; it’s Our Nigerian Orientation. He was surprised at my response but I was going somewhere. You might have expected a reply like low disposable income, bad roads, safety issues but all these are minor. We have all been sold the Western Dream while also receiving information that Nigeria is not safe, that what tourist attractions do we have in Nigeria, etc. All these are not true.

Let me start by saying that Nigeria is a very very beautiful country and there is so much to see but the mental value we put on her is very poor. Irrespective of all those reasons given above, exploring our fatherland should be the dream of each and every Nigerian. Travelling around Nigeria is not a luxury. It’s affordable for the low income earners to the high income earners. It’s an avenue to learn something new. If we Nigerians cannot explore and appreciate what we have, how do we expect foreigners to appreciate our lands?

We would rather explore other countries where we pay expensive flights, face visa issues and border issues. While our own country o where we would barely spend one tenth of our budget is a no no for us, we would rather visit other countries for vacation or honeymoon, you would even hear some people say it’s either Dubai or no where even if they can’t afford it. Yet we would be saying Nigeria is not developing, when the money we are to spend here; we have been spending abroad.

On the safety issues; using safety as a reason would mean we all wouldn’t go anywhere. No place has a guarantee of safety. Remember, people live in all those places. It is our responsibility to debunk all these myths out there because of how the media tends to portray Nigeria. We need to stop de-marketing destination Nigeria.

September 27th (one week from today) is WORLD TOURISM DAY, let’s go out and explore Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Disinterested In Exploring Nigeria? by tourismlove: 11:48am On Sep 20, 2018
Credits; TourguideRotimi

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Disinterested In Exploring Nigeria? by drasob: 11:53am On Sep 20, 2018
Really love tourism

Tell all our slay queens not to wreck us by always asking for Dubai angry

lalasticlala come and see shumtin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Disinterested In Exploring Nigeria? by imbefool(m): 12:06pm On Sep 20, 2018
We Nigerians are just too busy, we keep chasing money to the extent that by the time we would have the money we would be old and no longer have interest in such. If you don't have plans to japa from this country, you don't have any reason to travel out for vacation outside the country. You should inform me of your next tours.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Disinterested In Exploring Nigeria? by Akeem1759(m): 3:30pm On Sep 20, 2018
Kindly give info of your next tour, I really love to join you guys Biko. Also extend your tourist stuff towards North, Gumti national Park, Mambila Plateau in Sardauna (the coldest city in Nigeria), Yankari Game reserve and lots more, Oh beautiful places. Nigeria is blessed walai, we are not just utilising our resources and environment.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

These Are Best Uses For Recycled Car Parts / Female Lawyer Gets Drunk During Flight, Goes On Rampage After Refused More Wine / Trailer Full Of Scraps Collapses In Ikorodu, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.