Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,374 members, 7,954,515 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:50 PM

Beware Of False Teachers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Beware Of False Teachers (777 Views)

A List Of False Teachings In The Roman Catholic Church / Names Of False Prophets In Africa / Beware Of False Teachers Parading Themselves Here On This Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of False Teachers by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22pm On Jul 06, 2010
Beware Of False Teachers

"Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness" (II Peter 3:17).

Peter’s final epistle, especially chapters 2 and 3, is the classic New Testament passage on the false teachers that would plague the church in the "last days" (3:3).  In addition to the characteristics listed in the introductory verse, 2:1 (e.g., slipping in surreptitiously heretical teachings, denying the redemptive work and Lordship of Christ), a number of their attributes are predicted for our guidance, as follows:

They will "wrest the Scriptures" (3:16), distorting their literal meaning to conform to their own philosophical preferences.  This will involve using "feigned words" (2:3)—that is, plastic words, words with devious meanings to make them say what their users wish to convey.  They may well be very eloquent and seductive in their speech, "when they speak great swelling words of vanity" (2:18).

They will deny the doctrine of special creation and the judgment of the worldwide Flood (3:5,6), teaching instead that "all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation" (3:4), and will scoff at the Second Coming.  They "despise government" and are "presumptuous" and "selfwilled . . . not afraid to speak evil of dignities" (2:10).

They both practice and defend immoral acts, "having eyes full of adultery" (2:14).  Yet they maintain their religious ties because they have hearts "exercised with covetous practices" (2:14), seeing nothing evil in taking money for personal gain from those whose faith they seek to undermine.

This is, indeed, a fitting description of many modern liberal theologians, religious bureaucrats in the big denominations, "New Age" preachers, college teachers of religion, etc.  Although this is not a pleasant subject, Christians urgently need to awaken to what is happening, and "beware!" HMM
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 06, 2010
A very good example of such teachers is Oladeegbu who go about preaching that Christians must confirm to the abolished mosaic law of tithing thereby subjecting them to the curse of the law which Jesus came to set us free from.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Jenwitemi(m): 4:26pm On Jul 06, 2010
Lol! grin Everybody is a false teacher. So therefore, everybody should beware of the teachings of everybody else. In other words, keep ya personal worldviews to yaself. wink
chukwudi44:

A very good example of such teachers is Oladeegbu who go about preaching that Christians must confirm to the abolished mosaic law of tithing thereby subjecting them to the curse of the law which Jesus came to set us free from.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by KunleOshob(m): 4:49pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is a suprise coming from Olaadegbu who subscribe to so many false doctrines such as tithing and trinity which lack sound scriptural basis and were NEVER taught by the apostles mandated by christ to spread his gospel.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Mudley313: 8:26pm On Jul 06, 2010
Beware Of False Teachers

. . .like YOU who constantly promote the racism inspired conspiracy theories of southern/confederate white redneck bigots of bible belt america
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Jenwitemi(m): 10:38pm On Jul 06, 2010
Beware of olaadegbu and all his dubious teachings. He is the classic believe-me-or-i-will-send-you-to-my-hell preacher.
Mudley313:

Beware Of False Teachers

. . .like YOU who constantly promote the racism inspired conspiracy theories of southern/confederate white redneck bigots of bible belt america
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by noetic16(m): 10:50pm On Jul 06, 2010
KunleOshob:

This is a suprise coming from Olaadegbu who subscribe to so many false doctrines such as tithing [size=18pt]and trinity which lack sound scriptural basis[/size] and were NEVER taught by the apostles mandated by christ to spread his gospel.

really? how does Trinity lack scriptural basis?
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jul 06, 2010
chukwudi44:

there is a difference between FALSE TEACHERS and those who sincerely teach the scriptures in error. Folks like olaadegbu cannot be classed as false teachers . . . the truth is we cant all see the doctrines of the bible the exact same way . . . we just need the holy Spirit for direction. Now do i subscribe to tithing? Absolutely not.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:34am On Jul 07, 2010
Judging Others

"Judge not, that ye be not judged." (Matthew 7:1)

This is a very familiar maxim, often cited by unbelievers and carnal Christians as a rebuke to Christians whom they regard as intolerant.  These words of the Lord Jesus Christ do, indeed, warn us against a self-righteous attitude, condemning others who disagree with us on the basis of superficial criteria.

On the other hand, this caution by no means relieves us of the responsibility of evaluating the beliefs and practices of others in the light of Scripture.  In the very same sermon, in fact, Jesus said just a few moments later: "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine"; and, "beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing" (Matthew 7:6-15).  Obedience to such commandments obviously requires one to make a judgment as to whether certain unbelievers should be regarded as "dogs" or "swine," to whom it would be counterproductive to try to speak of spiritual matters; or whether certain professing Christian leaders are actually false prophets who should be repudiated.  Jesus also said: "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24).

Since the Scriptures themselves are to be used in the final judgment (John 12:48; Revelation 20:12; etc.), it is obvious that we should use them right now to discern truth and error, right and wrong.  "For the word of God . . . is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).

There is another basis of judgment that the Lord Jesus has authorized us to use. "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. . . . Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them" (Matthew 7:18-20).  Thus, the test of Scripture plus fruit produced, can serve as the basis of a valid judgment.  Until adequate data for making such a test are available, judge not! HMM
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Jenwitemi(m): 8:38am On Jul 07, 2010
LOOOL! cheesy Now he pulls out the judge-not-less-you-be-judged card when his own judgement of others is under attack! The hypocrisy of christians can be a great source of comedy sometimes. You guys are a real riot! Lol!
OLAADEGBU:

Judging Others

"Judge not, that ye be not judged." (Matthew 7:1)

This is a very familiar maxim, often cited by unbelievers and carnal Christians as a rebuke to Christians whom they regard as intolerant.  These words of the Lord Jesus Christ do, indeed, warn us against a self-righteous attitude, condemning others who disagree with us on the basis of superficial criteria.

On the other hand, this caution by no means relieves us of the responsibility of evaluating the beliefs and practices of others in the light of Scripture.  In the very same sermon, in fact, Jesus said just a few moments later: "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine"; and, "beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing" (Matthew 7:6-15).  Obedience to such commandments obviously requires one to make a judgment as to whether certain unbelievers should be regarded as "dogs" or "swine," to whom it would be counterproductive to try to speak of spiritual matters; or whether certain professing Christian leaders are actually false prophets who should be repudiated.  Jesus also said: "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24).

Since the Scriptures themselves are to be used in the final judgment (John 12:48; Revelation 20:12; etc.), it is obvious that we should use them right now to discern truth and error, right and wrong.  "For the word of God . . . is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).

There is another basis of judgment that the Lord Jesus has authorized us to use. "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. . . . Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them" (Matthew 7:18-20).  Thus, the test of Scripture plus fruit produced, can serve as the basis of a valid judgment.  Until adequate data for making such a test are available, judge not! HMM

Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Nuriel22: 8:44am On Jul 07, 2010
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Jul 07, 2010
Jenwitemi:

LOOOL! cheesy Now he pulls out the judge-not-less-you-be-judged card when his own judgement of others is under attack! The hypocrisy of christians can be a great source of comedy sometimes. You guys are a real riot! Lol!

I hope you read the quote of Jesus saying unless you only do selective reading:

OLAADEGBU:

[i]"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine";

If you had taken the time to read the criteria of my judgment you will not quickly type as you usually do.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:23am On Jul 07, 2010
"Judge not, and you shall not be judged" (Luke 6:37 The Evidence Bible).

Skeptics and those with censorious religious spirits have often taken the phrase "Judge not lest you be judged" out of context and then use it to accuse Christians of being judgmental when they speak of evil practises committed by those who say they are christians, but what they don't realise is that Jesus Christ said that we should judge righteously, that is, "Judge not according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment."  Christians can make righteous judgments when they see someone who calls himself/herself a christian but steals, lies, commit adultery or murder, uses profane language, in error, etc. by saying that those actions or words are morally wrong and that such sins have eternal consequences.

This is what Chuck Colson said about tolerance:

"True tolerance is not a total lack of judgment, it's knowing what should be tolerated - and refusing to tolerate that which shouldn't"
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by Image123(m): 12:15pm On Jul 07, 2010
Kai Olaadegbu, you gave me a scare when you hinted that you'll be leaving nl. Abeg, for Christ's sake, don't leave o, thank you and welldone.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:18pm On Jul 07, 2010
Image123:

Kai Olaadegbu, you gave me a scare when you hinted that you'll be leaving nl. Abeg, for Christ's sake, don't leave o, thank you and welldone.

God bless you my brother.  Yes, I intended to leave when I thought that I had been banned but I then found out this morning that it was a techincal hitch that made me realise that I wasn't banned afterall.  Thanks for your concern and may God give you more grace to carry on lifting the banner.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by noetic16(m): 2:31pm On Jul 07, 2010
^^^ bro please dont stop being a light in this darkened world. carry the flag and keep the light on. . .God bless u.
Re: Beware Of False Teachers by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:15pm On Jul 07, 2010
noetic16:

^^^ bro please dont stop being a light in this darkened world. carry the flag and keep the light on. . .God bless u.

Thanks my fellow soldier in Christ, may the Lord continue to bless you and all that love His appearing until we wear our crowns with many stars.

(1) (Reply)

Celebrating 30 Years Of Grace And Glory / An Exercise For The Unbelievers / Lot Of Youths Leave The Catholic Church, Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.