Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

I Dont Like My Surname. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Dont Like My Surname. (1031 Views)

If U Dont Like Sexkilzz Enter And Like(lolzz) / Anybody That Doesnt Like My Posts Should Go And Drink Petrol / If You Dont Like A Post Do Not Comment In It: Create Urs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Dont Like My Surname. by pareto(m): 11:40pm On Jul 06, 2010
Being a man, i dont really like my surname and i want to change it.
The name is actually a yoruba name and it to me does not av any meaning.
Whenever i ask for the meaning from my Dad, he gives me cock and bull stories.
i have now made up my mind to change it. And my own children will have the new name.
pls i need ur advice on this.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by denzel2009: 11:44pm On Jul 06, 2010
If its pareto,I will advice you to change it tongue
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by pareto(m): 11:48pm On Jul 06, 2010
i said it is a yoruba name. it is not pareto bro. pareto is what my friends call me.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by Idowuogbo(f): 5:40am On Jul 07, 2010
awwh poster ,can u share d name wiv us
its makes it easier to render advice . cus i nid 2 analyse how d name no make sense
now if d names are anytin like ogunjobi, alaniyonu, amadiohawanchuckwu cheesy grin grin grin grin
den i give u my full consent to revamp cool cool
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by Idowuogbo(f): 6:00am On Jul 07, 2010
poster sorry i left dis out
i bear Idowu -Ma-Miliki ,due to a name change from Dad
u can do it 2jus like d nike logo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 07, 2010
You will have to manage the name the name till you die but your children can take after your own name.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by Vindy: 1:41pm On Jul 07, 2010
Bro dnt do it. Even if its whatever be proud of ur name
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by xreal: 10:22pm On Jul 07, 2010
@ poster
you may share the name wit us; may not be as ugly as you think and as portrayed.

Is it a name prefixed by 'ÈSÙ' and got words such as yemí, bíyìí, loba/lóba, gboògo, lérè, sèyí, bùnmi, níran, létí, fémi, fúnmi, gbàmí et.c as suffix?
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by oderemo(m): 9:46am On Jul 08, 2010
this the question i always ask this new born again christian that always turn name around i.e ogunjobi to olorunjobi etc.
now how will you feel if your son i.e olorunjobi now travel to foreign and change that to Clinton or lington?
the saga will continue , eh.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by cantell(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2010
ode remo:

this the question i always ask this new born again christian that always turn name around i.e ogunjobi to olorunjobi etc.
now how will you feel if your son i.e olorunjobi now travel to foreign and change that to Clinton or lington?
na so.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by bisiaet: 11:28am On Jul 08, 2010

Poster Ode Remi you are very right. I was advising somebody on this similar issue a few days ago about I'm going to change my surname because of this and that and I told him listen gentleman why cant you be proud of what your surname is either it's meaningful or not is your surname all you could do if you are not satisfy is to let your own kids bear your name instead of your fathers name but will that make any good to you? I told him think well about it as a son of a man?

I dont see reason why some people tends to change surname especially born again christain, honestly I dont understand what is the reason behind it and I see it as a let down to their family identity. But when you try to advise some in this kind of beleif of surname changing they will say Abraham name was change afterall, pls bro. be proud of your surmane ok. Shalom.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by favouredjb(f): 3:39pm On Jul 08, 2010
Just take the advice given to you by others,be proud of your name, the only yoruba surnames am not too comfortable with are,iseyemi,ise as in poverty not work(also ise)and ikuyajesin.but then that's me,others might like it
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by pareto(m): 7:14pm On Jul 08, 2010
Actually, the suffix is mostly from ijebu, while the other do not really make a meaning.
sometimes, pepole ask if it a japanese name.
I think i av the right to my own opinion. i am not comfortable with it and I dont
want my children to still bear the name. They have to use my first name.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by oderemo(m): 7:27pm On Jul 08, 2010
Being a man, i dont really like my surname and i want to change it.
The name is actually a yoruba name and it to me does not av any meaning.
Whenever i ask for the meaning from my Dad, he gives me cock and bull stories.
i have now made up my mind to change it. And my own children will have the new name.
pls i need your advice on this.
u said u need advice,u now have plenty ,
still not happy.
everyman to his own.
what exactly is this name u r not at ease with?
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by pareto(m): 7:59pm On Jul 08, 2010
@ODE REMO Bro, it is always on my mind to change the name.
I want to know if i can get enough advice that can make me go ahead to
change ib.But it seems the idea is not really emgraced.
i appreciate.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 08, 2010
what is the surname? I wouldnt chcange mine though, out of respect for my father.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by oderemo(m): 7:57pm On Jul 09, 2010
@pareto,
am frm ijebu as well with same known ijebu nameish as well,
i love my grand father to bits, he brought me up,
i love my father as well.
for the above reasons i shower my 4 kids with same love.
it will brake my heart if they turn around and change the family name.
like daviddillan said, out of respect for my lineage i wouldn't change my surname.
couldn't care if the white man couldn't pronounce my kids name for yrs.in school.
lol.
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by ice234: 4:27pm On Jul 10, 2010
u have the right to change ur surname if you dont like it but ur identity wil be lost. me myself my surname means revenge but am proud of it. i wouldnt change it
Re: I Dont Like My Surname. by afrobaby(f): 1:15pm On Jul 12, 2010
are u so ashamed of the name that u can't write it here, I wonder what u have on ur certificate, My surname as far as am concerned belong to the set of things I dont have a say on. There are certain things U can't decide, like the country u would have been born to, the parents that should av given birth to u, the kind of siblings u want, the name u will be given by ur parents and the surname of ur parent, just live with u. If the name has not stopped u from being a human being or from making friends, or from getting a job, I wonder why u r stressing urself

(1) (Reply)

I'll Be Going To Nigeria Soon. . . . / I Helped A Stranded Stranger Yesterday! / British Woman Faces Jail For Having Sex In Back Of Taxi In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.