Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,951 members, 7,814,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Teach Me Database And More. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Teach Me Database And More. (1084 Views)

Help! How To Pull Data From Database And Display On A Webpage / I Need A Webhosting With Mssql Database And Glassfish Server / Database And National Planning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teach Me Database And More. by jmoore(m): 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2010
Hello, i am a beginner
I am learning on my own so I will be glad if anyone can help me out on certain issues

I am learning database now by myself with some info I get online

below are the chapters

* Part 1 - Introduction
* Part 2 - Setting Up The Database
* Part 3 - Inserting Information
* Part 4 - Displaying Data
* Part 5 - More Outputs
* Part 6 - Single Records & Error Trapping
* Part 7 - Updating & Deleting
* Part 8 - Finishing The Script

With myphpadmin I was able to set up my database
I want to insert information but I need to learn how
to connect to mySQL database

below are the instructions I have seen but I do not know where to type
them

$username="your_username";
$password="your_password";
$database="your_database";

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);

mysql_close();

SO MY PROBLEM NOW IS WHERE I SHOULD TYPE THESE COMMAND
Re: Teach Me Database And More. by jeshurun07: 3:45pm On Jul 08, 2010
hi,
these are my obsns
1) it seems u are mixing things up, first u mentioned u are using phpmyadmin, next u are listing pure php strings. methinks you have to be more detailed.
2) if u are using any php editor (dreamweaver, phpedit) create a page call it anything then do the following
$host = 'localhost'; ---- This is were your dbase host is. generally it is on ur localhost
$username ='root' ---- this is the name of the person accessing the dbase, since you say u are new to this and u are using phpmyadmin, then the name would likely be 'root'.
$password ='' ----- this is the password to the dbase, for the above reasons it shld be empty.
$database = "yourdatabasename" ----- this is the name of the database you created with phpmyadmin

then you can connect like this
mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);
although i prefer this
$conn = mysqli_connect($host,$username,$password,$database)

reason for this format is so that you can open the connection only when you need it. that protects your apps
lastly, it is only when you want to end a connection that you call the command below

mysql_close();
if you are using my format, call it this way:

mysqli_close($conn);

Hope that was helpful, if not mail me at lekanodukoya@yahoo.com
Re: Teach Me Database And More. by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 09, 2010
@Poster, What you need to learn is PHP or any other Programming language, like JSP along side a database, like SQL, Oracle, whatever!

In your case, you have already written two technologies MySql and PHP,

Thanks!
Re: Teach Me Database And More. by jjjkkkooo: 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2010
Jmoore, i understand ur situation. U need to get a php editor, u can use notepad. But its better to get Macromedia Dreamweaver. The codes u typed are php codes which u need to type in an editor. If u are based in Abuja, i can help u on one-on-one. If not, just install a version of dreamweaver and mail me on niyioke2000@yahoo.com. I ll teach u step by step.
Re: Teach Me Database And More. by tonyc2: 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2010
working with databse is like suger
you would enjoy it
contact me on

tiheanachor@nicodep.com

(1) (Reply)

Всегда в наличии - Фильмы / Website Designers Wanted! / Get A Domain Without Paying A Kobo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.