Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Flashback To The Funk Soul Of The 70s & 80s - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Flashback To The Funk Soul Of The 70s & 80s (3170 Views)

Nigerian Artist Of Yester Yrs(70s And 80s) / Gyptian Ft Nicki Hold Yuh Remix -(naija Version<Bornstar> -funk Yuh Edition) / Whats Your Favourite Song In The 70s, 80s & 90s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Flashback To The Funk Soul Of The 70s & 80s by mistaGROOV: 3:56pm On Jul 07, 2010
The funk soul music of the 70s & 80s era had a lot of substance.  It was safe for young adults to play their music in the presence of their parents because of the absence of profanity and the fact that the melodies were smooth. 

As a kid growing up in Ibadan I listened to Alex Conde on WNBS.  His show was just so funky.  From the moment Alex Conde's signature tune announced the beginning of his show we knew we were in for a treat.  I still remember some of the vibes of that great show:  I Feel Sanctified - Commodores; Skin Tight - Ohio Players; Changin' - Brass Construction; For The Love Of Money - The O'Jays; Super Soul Sister - Heatwave; Runnin' Away - Roy Ayers; Dance With Me - Peter Brown.               

Another big radio DJ to mention is Tunji Marcus.  Just like Alex Conde this man delivered some real soul funk on the airwaves.  My inspiration to become a DJ came from these great men.

I can vividly recall some of  the school parties and private parties of the late 70s and early 80s.  They were not to be missed.  We just could not wait to get to school on Monday to discuss the fun we had and also to find out what was next on the menu.

Various people talk about their favourite songs and sometimes come up with lists of their all-time favourites.  It's impossible for me to come up with a Top 100 list of my all-time favourite jams but the the following tracks will appear somewhere on the list:

1.    F-Encounter - Bootsy Collins

2.    Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody - Brick

3.    You And I - Rick James & The Stone City Band

4.    Bustin' Loose - Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers

5.    For The Love Of Money - The O'Jays

6.    Ain't We Funkin' Now - The Brothers Johnson

7.    Going Back To My Roots - Lamont Dozier

8.    I Will Love You Tomorrow - KC & The Sunshine Band

9.    Get Out On The Dance Floor - Fatback

10.  High Steppin' Hip Dressin' Fella (You Got It Together) - Love Unlimited

11.  For Those Who Like To Groove - Ray Parker Jr & Raydio

12.  You're The One I Need - Barry White

13.  Changin' - Brass Construction

14.  We Got The Funk - Positive Force

15.  Intimate Connection - Kleeer

16.  He's The Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge

17.  Saturday Night  -  T-Connection

18.  Get Down - Gene Chandler

19.  And The Beat Goes On - The Whispers

20.  Sure Shot - Crown Heights Affair

Do you have fond memories of the 70s or 80s soul funk scene?  Let's share them and revive the good old days.

If you feel like reminiscing visit my youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/mistaGROOVE1

God Bless
Re: Flashback To The Funk Soul Of The 70s & 80s by Solaru22: 8:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
Hi everyone, is there someone out there who can tell me the name of the artist or group responsible for the instrumental djs used to mix with.

The made up lyrics to the music was "sagba di were"
Re: Flashback To The Funk Soul Of The 70s & 80s by EgunMogaji2: 2:59pm On Jun 04, 2020
DJ Alex Conde is responsible for lots of listener pregnancies �

(1) (Reply)

Brand New Muzik From One Of Naija's Illest M.cs 'look Back' By Double Six.free Download / DOWNLOAD : May D – Use Me (prod By Sossick) / Psquare – No One Like You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.