Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,421 members, 7,850,496 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:12 PM

Relocating To The Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating To The Uk (2493 Views)

Relocating To Abuja From Lagos / Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocating To The Uk by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 08, 2010
My fellow nairalanders, I need ur urgent advice, my husband is british by birth,he has his british passport but he's based here in lagos, we also have a two year old son that's born here in naija. Now we are thinking about I and my son going over to the UK to get over british citizenship after d 5year period. Pls can smeone advice me on the procedure, what type of visa am I applying for? I knw it wld hve bin a lot easier if my hubby is based in the UK, so I really need insight on this. Thanks.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by segzeybaba(m): 6:28pm On Jul 08, 2010
Your son is british automatically, just apply for his british passport at the British High commission, which leaves only you needing a UK visa.
If you intend to settle, best bet would be for your husband to go beforehand, get a job or have a genuine job offer or if you have substantial saving, sort out the accommodation requirement, and then you can apply for a spousal visa.
You can also apply for a visit visa but that would be hard for you to crack coz of your intention to settle. So get your husband to go to the UK, find a job, an accommodation, keep all communication evidence between you and your husband during this period, then apply for your spouse visa. After 2years, you get your ILR, a year later you get your british citizenship but this is subject to the new set of immigration rules coming inforce next summer.
Goodluck
Re: Relocating To The Uk by ikeyman00(m): 11:15pm On Jul 08, 2010
@@@@

guess they could apply for indefinite leave to stay or enter from naija if they could proof they have spent over four years or something outisde uk?
Re: Relocating To The Uk by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 09, 2010
Oh thanks so much guys!
Re: Relocating To The Uk by demi2008(f): 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2010
@ikeymanoo u r right if they have been married for two yrs and they can show that they've got enough funds to support themselves in d uk pending d time they get jobs or that there is some1 willing 2 sponsor them in d uk then the u would be given indefinate leave to remain from naija
Re: Relocating To The Uk by OmoAlata(f): 3:43pm On Jul 09, 2010
koibilo:

My fellow nairalanders, I need your urgent advice, my husband is british by birth,he has his british passport but he's based here in lagos, we also have a two year old son that's born here in naija.

segzeybaba:

Your son is british automatically

I thought automatic citizenship on a child is derived from the mother - NOT the father - but I could be totally wrong. Find out from the British High Commission in Nigeria. Good luck.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by johnkent(m): 4:45pm On Jul 09, 2010
Omo Alata:

I thought automatic citizenship on a child is derived from the mother - NOT the father - but I could be totally wrong. Find out from the British High Commission in Nigeria. Good luck.

Its from either of the parent.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 09, 2010
We have enough funds to support ourselves in the uk,family and friends that are ready to help out with accomodation, so does is it advice sable to apply for the marriage visa. I don't want to make a mistake on dis.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by segzeybaba(m): 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2010
koibilo:

We have enough funds to support ourselves in the uk,family and friends that are ready to help out with accomodation, so does is it advice sable to apply for the marriage visa. I don't want to make a mistake on dis.

If you have enough funds and adequate accommodation, you are good to go, as ikeyman00 said, you will be granted ILE KOL REQ, meaning indefinite leave to enter subject to you passing the Knowledge of language and life in the UK test.
But no third party support will be accepted apart from the accommodation support, since you have a kid, you will need two rooms with floor area larger than 50 square feet , one for you and your husband, and a separate one for your son
In respect of the maintenance requirement, There is no explicit minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance but the less likely figure will level with the income support figure a British family of that size would live on as strongly suggested by the Tribunal which is;
Couple both 18 or over £102.75 + Dependent Child £57.57 = £160.32 per week.
You can do your own calculation and try make sure u have sufficient funds to cover at least the first 3/6months in which you and your husband would be seeking employment.
Goodluck

Omo Alata:

That was prior to 2006, but things has changed now for the better. Children can derived citizenship from either parents.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by OmoAlata(f): 6:45pm On Jul 09, 2010
johnkent:

Its from either of the parent.

segzeybaba:

That was prior to 2006, but things has changed now for the better. Children can derived citizenship from either parents.

I stand corrected grin
Re: Relocating To The Uk by ikeyman00(m): 7:36pm On Jul 09, 2010
£102.75 per wk

in their term i guess this could be implied weekly wage

therefore rent is also inclusive right

segzeybaba

what do u think? plz
Re: Relocating To The Uk by OmoAlata(f): 8:03pm On Jul 09, 2010
I think the figure quoted is for those on benefits which means they'll be getting housing/council tax benefit anyway wink
Re: Relocating To The Uk by segzeybaba(m): 10:10pm On Jul 09, 2010
ikeyman00:

in their term i guess this could be implied weekly wage

therefore rent is also inclusive right

segzeybaba

what do u think? plz

Not including rent, just couple over 18yrs living expenses, as omo alata said, the tribunal take into account the income support figures, which means those getting it will also be eligible for housing benefit.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 11, 2010
Okay so I checked 2visa applications, the marriage visa, but that mainly for pple planning on gettn married in d UK, on the other hand the settlement visa app was more suitable, has it had questions that are suited for my purpose the only loophole was when they asked for sponsors accomodation. Pls I want to knw if I can put in my relatives add, cos we don't hve a house ther since we're based in lagos, but we plan on gettn one.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by erico2k2(m): 3:08pm On Jul 11, 2010
koibilo:

Okay so I checked 2visa applications, the marriage visa, but that mainly for pple planning on gettn married in d UK, on the other hand the settlement visa app was more suitable, has it had questions that are suited for my purpose the only loophole was when they asked for sponsors accomodation. Pls I want to knw if I can put in my relatives add, cos we don't hve a house ther since we're based in lagos, but we plan on gettn one.
I replied to your earlier post on the other thread, guys come on les be realistic,do you realy think most relatives or friends in the Uk would havetwo spare bedromm and a living area in thier house to spare for the time thier money takes to run out? and dont forget, the hubby is meant to be her sponsor for the the spouse VISA aplication.what about al what he needs to proove.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by erico2k2(m): 3:36pm On Jul 11, 2010
check list 4 you.
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/vaf4a
check that list at the end of the page.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by 2CatWoman: 5:02pm On Jul 11, 2010
koibilo:

My fellow nairalanders, I need your urgent advice, my husband is british by birth,he has his british passport but he's based here in lagos, we also have a two year old son that's born here in naija. Now we are thinking about I and my son going over to the UK to get over british citizenship after d 5year period. Pls can smeone advice me on the procedure, what type of visa am I applying for? I knw it wld hve bin a lot easier if my hubby is based in the UK, so I really need insight on this. Thanks.

If you are both in Nigeria and are happy there for the time being, why not wait until you decide to relocate to UK?
You should have no problem obtaining citizenship under those circumstances (unless you are planning on leaving your husband wink)
Re: Relocating To The Uk by erico2k2(m): 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2010
2CatWoman:

If you are both in Nigeria and are happy there for the time being, why not wait until you decide to relocate to UK?
You should have no problem obtaining citizenship under those circumstances (unless you are planning on leaving your husband wink)

me think they are both ready,they are just faced with the challenge of fulfilling the sponsorship requirement of which the sponsor IE the man needs in other for her to aply for a spouce VISA.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by OmoAlata(f): 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2010
The husband should come over first, settle down, then invite his wife over wink
Re: Relocating To The Uk by erico2k2(m): 9:05pm On Jul 11, 2010
Omo Alata:

The husband should come over first, settle down, then invite his wife over wink
Exactly.
Re: Relocating To The Uk by concrete: 7:17pm On Jan 27, 2011
help please:

i'm a dual citizen (canada and uk) but live in canada. my hubby lives in nigeria. we got married last year and i'm in the process of sponsoring him to canada. on average, the canadian sponsorship takes about 12-18 months (though we're hoping for less). long story short, someone suggested that i sponsor him to uk in the meantime, until his canadian papers come through. this will make it easier for us to see each other more frequently (if I decide to return to canada). in essence, nigeria is no longer an option for us. we simply do not want to be there for many of reasons and are now exploring the best option for us to be together outside of the country

my questions and issues are as follows:

- don't work or live in the uk . no real strong ties to uk/proof of living there (such as bills, work or bank statements) but but can provide proof of accomodation (with relatives) and job offer letter in the uk

I was told to apply for my hubby anyway and just state my intent to live there. I was told NOT to mention my applciation for canadian sponsorhip (though they could still make enquiries)

my questions are as follows:
1) are my chances good? providing I cite a job offer and reasonable accomodation (though the accomodation would be shared with relatives)
2)what info can anyone provide about the language test requirement. is Nigeria not considered an English-speaking country? Is there a fee for the test? My hubby is a university graduate. does that count or do they absolutely need the test?
3)do you guys think the fact that i'm already applying for canadian PR status, will harm this uk application?

thanks
Re: Relocating To The Uk by concrete: 7:20pm On Jan 27, 2011
can someone also clarify the accomodation and financial requirements? i didn't see anything about this anywhere (except for here)

thanks
Re: Relocating To The Uk by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 28, 2011
koibilo:

My fellow nairalanders, I need your urgent advice, my husband is british by birth,he has his british passport but he's based here in lagos, we also have a two year old son that's born here in naija. Now we are thinking about I and my son going over to the UK to get over british citizenship after d 5year period. Pls can smeone advice me on the procedure, what type of visa am I applying for? I knw it wld hve bin a lot easier if my hubby is based in the UK, so I really need insight on this. Thanks.
I hope you are being serious and not just a time waster with all these baffling questions.
It should be clear to you that your husband should go over to the West and get something doing there before he is then able to convince the Home Office that you a non-citizen would not be a burden to the taxpayer.
In that wise talking about friends providing free accomodation is irrelevant.
Anyway you should be prepared to stay with your husband in Nigeria if he so desires except you have another hidden agenda.

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Here Living In Zurich, Switzerland? / Nigerians Can No Longer Be Deported From UK / Please: Does Anyone Know How I Can Process A Kenyan Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.