Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana (10803 Views)

Dangote Fertilizer To Begin Export To US, Brazil This Month / Nigeria: Report - Nigeria Loses 72 Percent Internet Revenue To Us / Nigeria Loses $90m Investment To Kenya As Coca-cola Expands Operation In E’afric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by ZUBY77(m): 8:06am On Oct 04, 2018
I don't know what our government officials travel to do in other countries if not to facilitate business
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by TEYA: 8:06am On Oct 04, 2018
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:10am On Oct 04, 2018
He said there is no shipping link along the sub-region, noting that cargo movement amongst the countries in the region had to first go to Europe before finding their way back resulting in very expensive transportation cost.

The bolded has got to be a crude joke!
Ghana and Nigeria are countries bounded by the same Atlantic coast for goodness sake!
BUA group ships items directly to Accra by ship, same with some Oil & Gas companies so what is this one they are saying?
Who would even read that and determine the sanity of that statement!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by portacabin: 8:19am On Oct 04, 2018
giles14:
hmmm

and the coal in Enugu is just domiciled courtesy the FG.
when will marginalization of SE stop?
go and get your minning license and mine your coal
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by pokipoki: 8:23am On Oct 04, 2018
Blue3k:

This is a weird situation if its true. Nigeria could ship the 2 tons of coal there if the Ajaokuta Warri rail line was ready. The numbers are incorrect since Nigeria's total coal production isnt even 500 tons. Kogi produces 322,959.69 tons and Gombe produces 74,254.67 as of 2017.

Ps: Does Ghana use coal power?
You forgot to add Enugu and Benue state.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by BedLam: 8:29am On Oct 04, 2018
mfm04622:

Ships that send things and ship that send fuel (crude, PMS, diesel) are different.
Is coal not fuel ? The concern here is the Op saying there's no shipping link. Link is not the same thing as ships.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by BedLam: 8:30am On Oct 04, 2018
vivaciousvivi:
He said there is no shipping link along the sub-region, noting that cargo movement amongst the countries in the region had to first go to Europe before finding their way back resulting in very expensive transportation cost.

The bolded has got to be a crude joke!
Ghana and Nigeria are countries bounded by the same Atlantic coast for goodness sake!
BUA group ships items directly to Accra by ship, same with some Oil & Gas companies so what is this one they are saying?
Who would even read that and determine the sanity of that statement!
These are the kind of people running things, not even the faintest idea if where they are because they live in Ivory towers

1 Like

Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by mfm04622: 8:41am On Oct 04, 2018
BedLam:
Is coal not fuel ? The concern here is the Op saying there's no shipping link. Link is not the same thing as ships.

I should have said liquid and solid that can be containerized
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by obailala(m): 8:47am On Oct 04, 2018
giles14:

you guys are been economical with the truth .

tommorow you will also say who is stopping Onitsha river port from taking off. or is it the alaoji power plant .
or is it the the Enugu international airport or is it the the whole south east road
I spoke based on little facts I know on ground. Since you are so confidently sure there are some principalities and powers or rules made by some ogas at the top which is stopping Enugu state government and Enugu state investors from getting a license and mining coal in Enugu, why don't you make it known? Give the details. Or could it be another theory of the Hausas and Yorubas trying to prevent Igboland from progressing?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by obailala(m): 8:49am On Oct 04, 2018
BestDude:
don't mind them... They hardly talk about the coal city but I would prefer we use it to generate electricity than selling it.
If we cant use it to generate electricity (yet), wouldn't it be better to have it sold for money instead of just being buried and useless in the ground?
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by tomdon(m): 9:18am On Oct 04, 2018
Whiich kind of calculation is in this write up
2000 tons a month is only 24,000 tons a year

1.4 million tons a year is 100,000 tons a month
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by Horus(m): 9:26am On Oct 04, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNg-HYl9Q0

The port of Lagos, Nigeria's hidden nightmare
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by lastempero: 9:36am On Oct 04, 2018
So the coal in Enugu is for tourism?
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by vioment: 9:57am On Oct 04, 2018
Problem can be traced back to knowledge. We do not have an actual educated populace. Not because naijans are daft or don't l;ike education but the quality has deteriorated so bad, we don't build any part of ship making but we are one of the highest importers and exporters in the world. All of these are caused by FG continuously owing teachers/lecturers; school environment not being conducive to inspire students; cult activities creating insecurity; and incompetent lecturers.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by Babacele: 9:58am On Oct 04, 2018
hmmm coal again. we should stop deceiving ourselves for without a better rail you can't move plenty coals without heavy logistics costs and risks. The largest cargo we have sef can only take around 35,000 Tons . The transport cost per ton is even more than the cost of the coal if you travel beyond 150km away from the mine.

2 Likes

Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by BedLam: 10:01am On Oct 04, 2018
mfm04622:

I should have said liquid and solid that can be containerized
You still dont get. The OP said is no link meaning There is no access which is a lie. We aren't talking of containers here.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by Blaksheep: 10:28am On Oct 04, 2018
Please anyone who has good information on mining natural resources should please share with me, I want to venture into it.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by samuelchimmy(m): 10:28am On Oct 04, 2018
obailala:
Lol... Nothing is currently being produced but your worry is that 'if' something is produced, the proceeds will be shared with dormant unproductive states up north?... What about the dormant unproductive states down south who also take share of proceeds for producing nothing?... Even this comment you quoted mentions that Kogi and Gombe (north) are mining coal but Enugu (south) which sits on the largest coal deposits is just sitting and waiting for proceeds to be shared. Na wa for reasoning!
the problem my dear friend is not in the mining but in the facility of transport... Of which federal government is responsible for.... All this railroads reforms that is going on all over some part of the countries, can you mention one that is going on the se/ss?
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by ordbrandco: 10:39am On Oct 04, 2018
Blue3k:

This is a weird situation if its true. Nigeria could ship the 2 tons of coal there if the Ajaokuta Warri rail line was ready. The numbers are incorrect since Nigeria's total coal production isnt even 500 tons. Kogi produces 322,959.69 tons and Gombe produces 74,254.67 as of 2017.

Ps: Does Ghana use coal power?
yes ghana has different sources of energy, and seeks to up them to full capacity as demand is ever increasing. its shameful to say the least that we have not covered the ECOWAS region for selfish reasons best known to our leaders. we are not ready
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by samuelchimmy(m): 10:42am On Oct 04, 2018
obailala:
I spoke based on little facts I know on ground. Since you are so confidently sure there are some principalities and powers or rules made by some ogas at the top which is stopping Enugu state government and Enugu state investors from getting a license and mining coal in Enugu, why don't you make it known? Give the details. Or could it be another theory of the Hausas and Yorubas trying to prevent Igboland from progressing?
Please mention one viable way of transport that is currently in place to move coal.... Don't tell me the state are responsible for the rail reforms that's going on in other parts of the country... Not to mention all the ports that have been rendered useless by the same fg, for a reason I don't know why...... Pls tell me if it's not the work of the fg to provide all these things..... Tell me what's stopping the fg from repairing qll most of the federal roads linking to se..... I'm not sure you've been to the onitsha/enugu road...
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by samuelchimmy(m): 10:43am On Oct 04, 2018
obailala:
Please mention one viable way of transport that is currently in place to move coal.... Don't tell me the state are responsible for the rail reforms that's going on in other parts of the country... Not to mention all the ports that have been rendered useless by the same fg, for a reason I don't know why...... Pls tell me if it's not the work of the fg to provide all these things..... Tell me what's stopping the fg from repairing qll most of the federal roads linking to se..... I'm not sure you've been to the onitsha/enugu road... A road that is struggling to transport people is what you want to use to transport tonnes of coal...... Which sensible investor will invest in such kinda environment
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by ordbrandco: 10:46am On Oct 04, 2018
the country that builds the trade routes in wet Africa will lead
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by zoedew: 10:47am On Oct 04, 2018
Corruption lies at the root of our problems in Nigeria- even those who claim to be rooting for regionalism and resource control are afflicted by it!

1 Like

Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by mfm04622: 10:52am On Oct 04, 2018
BedLam:
You still dont get. The OP said is no link meaning There is no access which is a lie. We aren't talking of containers here.

The kind of access he need is not available! He need ships that can carry containers that plies the West African Coast. There are ships that ply the west African coast but they don't ship containers.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by computerglobal(m): 11:05am On Oct 04, 2018
grin
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by chinedu234(m): 11:22am On Oct 04, 2018
Business investment requires proper analysis of costs and profit. It does not involve the parasitic approach of government decisions in Nigeria. For the businessman,once the costs outweigh the average revenue,it's a goodbye. For mining to resume in Enugu,there has to be a good rail system to probably Port Harcourt,then the shipping to the neighboring countries. The fact on the ground remains the deliberate denial of key business infrastructure by the federal government for the south east. And this is responsible for the present higgi hagga in Lagos. But nature normally has a way of addressing imbalances and from my perspective,this is about to happen. The complaints and wailings as indicated by many of the current pests and parasites will soon be over.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by truthstands01: 11:29am On Oct 04, 2018
We don't have a leader in this country. Everything is tearing apart. We have excess coal in Enugu, yet we can't harness it. We have excessive mineral resources in the SW and Middle belt, yet we can't harness it. No political will and direction. What a failure! Everybody is focusing on oil. Its a shame. Let's change this country in 2019. Let's make Nigeria great!
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by otunbakolawole(m): 11:42am On Oct 04, 2018
this report is false. shipping coal to ghana can be done. get the trucks to truck from okobo to warri port, from warri you use barges to freight it to ghana. Talk to the professionals instead of giving excuses.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by obailala(m): 12:02pm On Oct 04, 2018
samuelchimmy:

Please mention one viable way of transport that is currently in place to move coal.... Don't tell me the state are responsible for the rail reforms that's going on in other parts of the country... Not to mention all the ports that have been rendered useless by the same fg, for a reason I don't know why...... Pls tell me if it's not the work of the fg to provide all these things..... Tell me what's stopping the fg from repairing qll most of the federal roads linking to se..... I'm not sure you've been to the onitsha/enugu road... A road that is struggling to transport people is what you want to use to transport tonnes of coal...... Which sensible investor will invest in such kinda environment
samuelchimmy:
the problem my dear friend is not in the mining but in the facility of transport... Of which federal government is responsible for.... All this railroads reforms that is going on all over some part of the countries, can you mention one that is going on the se/ss?
Good questions. First of all, I hope you remember the real reason behind my previous comments?... The Op mentioned something about coal mining activities going on in Gombe and Kogi; someone else then mentioned a theory that 'marginalisation of the SE' was the reason why coal mining could be active in Gombe and Kogi, but not in Enugu which has the largest deposits. My earlier comment was specifically to rubbish/deflate that watery theory.

You however claim the theory is true; that it's truly the FG's fault because the FG has failed to provide decent transport links to Enugu vis a vis, motorable roads and railway links. Now this is my own point - I totally agree that mining activities in Nigeria has suffered a great deal because successive Nigerian governments have failed to provide necessary transport infrastructure to power the mining ministry. But what I do not agree with is that it is restricted to the SE zone; this is one bizarre narrative that has been so widely peddled, people now just swallow it as gospel without bothering to rationalise it first. Please can you mention one viable way of transport that is currently in place to move coal from Gombe?

You claim the FG has deliberately killed mining activities in Enugu by ensuring there's no transport link to the city. Please what is the nature of the road/rail transport link to Gombe or Kogi?... Is Enugu the only place in Nigeria with bad access roads?.. Is there any single zone in the entire Nigeria that can boast of decent roads?... You sound as if every other zone in Nigeria is Dubai; why is it that when narrating the failures of successive governments, some persons always twist the narrative to make it seem the failure only happens in the SE?... You also claimed the FG deliberately killed the seaports in the southern and eastern zones, please can you mention any single thing owned and operated by the NIgerian government in any zone of the federation which works?... Why is it always narrated as if to say it's only in the SE that things don't work?

With regards to rails, there are currently 3 standard gauge rails in existence today;
- Warri to Ajaokuta (built by OBJ to connect the 2 steel industries)
- Abuja to Kaduna (built by GEJ) and
- Lagos to Ibadan (currently under construction)

Yes there's no standard rail yet to Enugu, but that will certainly come up in future; the rails are just a new development that will take time to spread across the nation. I see no reason why this must be another basis to shout marginalisation as if to say the SE is the only place without functional rails.

2 Likes

Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by melodyogonna(m): 12:48pm On Oct 04, 2018
BestDude:
don't mind them... They hardly talk about the coal city but I would prefer we use it to generate electricity than selling it.
Yeah, there is a thermal power station in Oji River, It used to be powered by coal...
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by Blue3k(m): 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2018
AK481:

Explain the bolded.

And why is Enugu not producing coal in your analysis?

I dont know why private sector isn't very interested. They might be looking for oil in gas in other neighboring states. It could be the lack of rail to move it to market. Finding investors in Nigeria is difficult in general due to perception.

Even Ondo with confirmed bitumen couldn't get investors to show interest for decades. They had to engage in PPP.

pokipoki:

You forgot to add Enugu and Benue state.

In 2017 NBS didn't mention their output. If they did it under the table that's annother story.
Re: No Shipping Link: Nigeria Loses 1.4 Mt Coal Export To Ghana by samuelchimmy(m): 2:25pm On Oct 04, 2018
obailala:

Good questions. First of all, I hope you remember the real reason behind my previous comments?... The Op mentioned something about coal mining activities going on in Gombe and Kogi; someone else then mentioned a theory that 'marginalisation of the SE' was the reason why coal mining could be active in Gombe and Kogi, but not in Enugu which has the largest deposits. My earlier comment was specifically to rubbish/deflate that watery theory.

You however claim the theory is true; that it's truly the FG's fault because the FG has failed to provide decent transport links to Enugu vis a vis, motorable roads and railway links. Now this is my own point - I totally agree that mining activities in Nigeria has suffered a great deal because successive Nigerian governments have failed to provide necessary transport infrastructure to power the mining ministry. But what I do not agree with is that it is restricted to the SE zone; this is one bizarre narrative that has been so widely peddled, people now just swallow it as gospel without bothering to rationalise it first. Please can you mention one viable way of transport that is currently in place to move coal from Gombe?

You claim the FG has deliberately killed mining activities in Enugu by ensuring there's no transport link to the city. Please what is the nature of the road/rail transport link to Gombe or Kogi?... Is Enugu the only place in Nigeria with bad access roads?.. Is there any single zone in the entire Nigeria that can boast of decent roads?... You sound as if every other zone in Nigeria is Dubai; why is it that when narrating the failures of successive governments, some persons always twist the narrative to make it seem the failure only happens in the SE?... You also claimed the FG deliberately killed the seaports in the southern and eastern zones, please can you mention any single thing owned and operated by the NIgerian government in any zone of the federation which works?... Why is it always narrated as if to say it's only in the SE that things don't work?

With regards to rails, there are currently 3 standard gauge rails in existence today;
- Warri to Ajaokuta (built by OBJ to connect the 2 steel industries)
- Abuja to Kaduna (built by GEJ) and
- Lagos to Ibadan (currently under construction)

Yes there's no standard rail yet to Enugu, but that will certainly come up in futurethe rails are just a new development that will take time to spread across the nation. I see no reason why this must be another basis to shout marginalisation as if to say the SE is the only place without functional rails.
and why is that. I thought projects are supposed to be executed tactically to serve the populace from all geo-political zones.... Don't tell me they are coming to it, you are not their spokes person.... I mean you should know how important enugu is geopolitically it should take alot of high level directives To ignore it...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? / How To Make A Decent Income Writing For Clients On Linkedin / How/where To Buy Things Cheap In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.