Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

"My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? (38936 Views)

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? / My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct / My Names Are Or My Name Is;which Is Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by AlPacino3(m): 10:37pm On Apr 05, 2007
I think very many people make the mistake of saying "my names are" but i simply think a name can be compound but that doesn't make it plural. It could be a turn down for the interviewer or what do you think?
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by paulomivi: 10:54pm On Apr 05, 2007
my guy,it is ungrammatical to say "My name is Micheal okpara Stephen",it is either my name is Micheal or My names are Micheal Okpara Stephen. This is based on British standard expression. stay blessed o.k.

1 Like

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by AlPacino3(m): 11:14pm On Apr 05, 2007
paulomivi, can you actually substantiate that claim? if you were asked " What IS the name of Nigeria's President?" what would you reply? Obasanjo or Olusegun Obasanjo?

1 Like

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 06, 2007
paulomivi:

my guy,it is ungrammatical to say "My name is Micheal okpara Stephen",it is either my name is Micheal or My names are Micheal Okpara Stephen. This is based on British standard expression. stay blessed o.k.

That is a clear case of a defective vocabulary. The correct expression is 'my name is' and not 'my names are'. You are Michael Okpara Stephen. That is your name. Be properly guided to avoid these simple grammatical blunders.

2 Likes

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 06, 2007
I wish to disagree with those that claim that " my names are" is correct and that it is what is obtainable in the British standards.
" My name is" is definately right.You can only say "my names are" in a situation where you have other names apart from your real name,like aliases.pet names,stage names or otherwise.
so,it is absolutely wrong for anyone to introduce themsleve in "my names are" manner. Take it from me,

2 Likes

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by bruce(m): 7:02pm On Apr 06, 2007
Both could be correct depending on the names supplied:
If you include other names apart from your first name and surname only then "my names are" is correst. E.g My names are Stephen(Firstname) John Bulus Orga(surname). On the other hand, "my name is" is correct.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 06, 2007
Be on the safe side just say " I am so so and so" if you're not sure of this english. i've thought over it over and over again too as a grammarian but i just saying, I AM,
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Duwizzle(m): 1:24am On Apr 07, 2007
Some issues are not worth much stress.
Look at it this way, Can u bear more than one name?? No. Your name is e.g. Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo.
That means, YOu cant be Atiku Aminu Abubakar unless you av an alter ego or suffer from multiple-personality disorder.
Please do ur research wisely and know that the correct statement is "My name is, "
People have lost jobs cos of such mistakes.
All the best
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by shade(f): 9:41am On Apr 07, 2007
The correct expression is 'my name is' regardless of the number of names you bear. Its all about the person, not persons. eg, My name is Mary okpara, our names are Musa, Bode, Michael etc. Any standard dictionary will put any doubting Thomas straight.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by budx(m): 9:45am On Apr 07, 2007
no need to draw daggers. both expressions are correct!!!! well, in simple and uncomplicated grammatical sense, it is 'my name is". thats why nobody really asks "what are your names?" grin they simply ask "what is your name?". however "my names are" isnt incorrect at all. its merely being grammatically finicky about the fact that more than one name will follow the clause. this derives from the simple grammatical structure that "are" usually attaches to an expression in a plural sense. as a lawyer, i know that when u depose to affidavits and other overly formal documents, it is common to say "My names are abiodun alao adams, ". so indeed both expressions are correct grammatically speaking but the common and more traditional usage is "my name is"

1 Like

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by kofiannan(m): 1:09pm On Apr 07, 2007
Dear Nairalanders,
I think I should come in here. It is very very wrong to say My Names are. for those who dont know, I advice you, as a Professional in that area. I have watched with great shock as people say my names are. Even the so-called white people are not free from this blame. I think a word is enof for the wise.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by yuddie25(f): 1:27pm On Apr 07, 2007
i aggree with you Lovelyn690. what is your name? my name is, why all the grammar of my names are.you can use my names are when you have more than two names for example my names are steph-nora uju etc.uju is your local name, stephnora is your english name.
i think that "my name is" is better said.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Duwizzle(m): 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2007
This is really sad. "My names are" is only correct if you are known by more than one name. For example, Obanikoro in one place and Onikoro in another place. Your name is an identity and unless you have more than one identity it will be "my name is". So please do ur reasearch, if it sounds right, it does mean it is.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by nikky007(f): 2:55pm On Apr 07, 2007
I am very good in english, I read a lot of novels and articles.
"MY NAMES ARE" is simply disgusting!!yuk! shocked. I have not come across such grammer except when it is used to mock some one who cannot speak english.
Please let's not get ourselves confused, the correct word is "MY NAME IS"
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by budx(m): 4:10pm On Apr 07, 2007
listen to yourself "the correct WORD IS "MY NAME IS" and u are very good in english. yet u refer to a clause as a word shocked again both expressions are correct. its interesting to see a lot of self professed "grammarians" here. some cant tell the difference between a word ,clause or phrase. LOLOLOLOLOL. the fact you pluralise "names" means the word "are" must follow. so when u choose to say "my names" (as u may very well do to indicate u wish to state more than one name) then "are" follows. also because the usage of "name" allows for multiple names to be referred to as one (as in a full name) it is also correct to say "my name is". For godsake has anyone filled a form that say "SURNAME" and in anothe space provides "OTHER NAMES" . there isABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BOTH EXPRESSIONS. if u dont understand why an expression is used simply keep quiet and not simply say "i am good in english " without a meaningful grammatical analysis. angry

2 Likes

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by budx(m): 4:13pm On Apr 07, 2007
typo: a form that SAYS, ANOTHER. cheers
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by nikky007(f): 4:32pm On Apr 07, 2007
I love critics, and that's what makes me better!
I have never seen a brief write-up with so much quotes(""wink
do you have to go to such lengths.
I still maintain "MY NAME IS" grin
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by sweetilomo(f): 4:46pm On Apr 07, 2007
am a linguist.am not trying to pose here.but it sounds absurd saying my names are?? have used it before and i saw the expression on my interviewer. "my name is" sounds a lot better than my names are.has anyone ever asked you "what are your names".
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by missparker: 7:09pm On Apr 07, 2007
Goodday house i am miss parker i really must confess that i love this topic and God bless the initiator of this topic well my own contribution is this from what i was taught while attending jamb class then my english teacher will tell you this we speak the british english atimes you make a statement and you will be wondering if it is correct but in the british vocabulary it is correct check out statements like 'jokes apart' there is nothing like that you can only say 'joking apart' though it sounds absurd but it is correct dont let us beat about the bush this is a topic for graduates og english let them tell us if they are sure of themselves which among the 2 statement is correct.my names are i believe strongly that is the correct statement i dont no about you maybe the american aspect of it is my name is .even the interviewer do you think most of them are fluent with their english it is only God that can help jobseekers like us who will read to pass their interview.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Theodora(f): 12:03am On Apr 08, 2007
Miss parker, i feel that the fact that you are at least able to use the computer you must be a bit learned; how can you possibly say that the American aspect of "my names are" is "my name is" have you ever heard a Properly educated British, who by the way are the "originators of the language ever say my names are ? I'll tell you why, because a name though has more than one word making it up is regarded and always treated as a unit, the moment you pluralize it you have broken up the unit and have simply stated that you have more than one personality, and if that is the case then the person has got a psychological problem.All i am telling you is that the correct statement is "my name is" i don't want you to not get a job simply because you used "my names are " instead of "my name is" i am sure you English teacher must be really disappointed in you. Have a good d

2 Likes

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by mrmatto: 12:39am On Apr 08, 2007
"my name is" is right. Born and educated in the states I never hear "my names are" and if I did I would find it funny.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by kuwena(m): 3:26pm On Apr 08, 2007
What you are called is usually a function of three parts: 1. a generic substantive, or simply a surname that indicates what family you are of; 2. a particular substantive, or a first name that shows who you are as distinct from others in your nuclear family, and 3. a peripheral substantive, or a second name that further identifies you as an individual. But all these three parts are connected by you that bear them. So, it may be misleading to view them as diverse, and hence to have to say 'my names are.' I think 'my name is' will do just fine for any interview. My name is, for example, Olusegun Obasanjo. QED!
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by hisking: 11:52am On Apr 09, 2007
I have been following this thread and you will appreciate it if you have found yourself during an interview confused on which is most appropriate. I commend the courage of those that aired their views which is healthy for learning but in sensitive cases like this were not opinions but the fact is only tenable, i hope we would all b restrained in our assertions when we are not very sure not to b misleading. keep-up the good work
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Goodleader(m): 3:26pm On Apr 09, 2007
Let everyone in this house hear and believe this: the correct expression is
'MY NAME IS'.Your name is one, every other one included in the norminal expression is a qualifier and should not affect the verb pattern(is/are) with which such name is associated.No matter the number,once they belong to an individual,names are treated as a unit.End of discussion.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Leomichael: 8:24pm On Apr 09, 2007
i enjoyed this chat session.it is quite interesting and educational.
nevertheless, i would like to advise at this stage that the argument be discontinued as it is not important in your interview unless u are being interviewed to teach english lang.
i have been to so many interviews and i was successful in most.

i can assure u it doesnt matter to your prospective employer whether u say ,'my name is' or 'my names are'.
i normally use 'my name is'.

your humble brother from exxonmobil
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by tipsydude(m): 8:34pm On Apr 09, 2007
[b]Wow!!! I have been following the heated argument about "My Name Is" and "My Names Are" and I must confess it has been quite entertaining. I never new Nigeria had quite a number of English purists trying to outdo themselves here over this topic. I would suggest that all the grammarians in the house start conducting private English lessons for those about to take T.O.E.F.L. grin .

So back to the topic on board. I believe that lots of us create problems for ourselves. If one is not sure of what to say in such situations, I believe that the question put to you would point out the way you should follow. If you are asked "what IS your name?" For pete's sake responding with "my names ARE" will be 100% wrong and vice versa. But where you are required to make an introduction of yourself without being asked any of the above mentioned questions, I think it would be wise you stick to the simple option of "My Name Is" instead of trying to impress upon people your self-professed English skill. You just might be making matters worse for yourself by forcing the interviewer to introduce words, phrases and cliches (some of which might actually be wrong) that you have never encountered in all your days on earth.

I believe an Interview is not an avenue to show of one's prowess in English, but an avenue to prove your ability to communicate. Whenever one introduces the use of hi-tech grammar like "My Names Are", communication is breached. Rather you would be speaking in tongues.[/b]

1 Like

Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by kofiannan(m): 11:42am On Apr 10, 2007
Budx,
In matters like this, i dont think we should be sarcastic. A lot of people will learn from this. so its not just for argument sake that we are here. The correct thing to say is MY Name is, There is no situation that "My names are " is allowed. Pls do well to ask from an authority in this subject matter and stop clowning urself
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by ayoyi: 12:33pm On Apr 10, 2007
well,i am quite impressed with the level of intelligence we have in NIGERIA judging from the various views expressed over this 'my names are or my name is' issue.i wonder why we are presently unemployed!i absolutely concur with the fellow who said one should just answer the question instead of complicating things by trying to show one's prowess in English language.if asked 'what IS your name?',it would be wise to answer my name IS so and so and vise-versa for 'what ARE your names?.This way,even if you are challenged over your answer,you would also be able to challenge the interviewer over his/her question.Have a nice day everyone.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by ekpah: 2:39pm On Apr 10, 2007
I think it is high time people realize the effect of grammatical blonder.In a line statement,I think the phrase 'my name is' is conventionally accepted.But my niger broda go want speak we obodo grammer.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2007
Why overstress the obvious? The correct expression is my name is.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by Rhea(f): 3:13pm On Apr 10, 2007
My name is Bond, James Bond.
Re: "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? by budx(m): 3:28pm On Apr 10, 2007
mr kofiannan, i am surprised u find my posts sarcastic. if u read them correctly u will realise they are far from that. u said that i should ask an authority on this matter. well i do not need any more authority than good ole syntax and concord (anyone who passed through high school would know what these mean). syntax deals with the arrangement of words in a sentence and concord deals with tense agreement in a sentence. i said GRAMMATICALLY there is nothing wrong with both expressions as there is simply no grammatical blunder in saying "my names are" . that , mr annan, is my contention!!!!!!!!!! u also emphatically stated that there is NO situation where "my names are" is allowed and i must say that is laughable. for instance , many nigerians have several middle names given to them at birth. they may not necessarily form part of the usual full name that we use. so, if u were asked in a casual conversation "how many middle names do u have?'" and u respond "three". then asked "what are they?" would u then say "my name IS biodun, sola and oluwadamilare". certainly not!!! as that would be grammatically incorrect!!!!!  you would say , "my middle names ARE, " or "my other names ARE, " again my point is the GRAMMATICAL structure of both expressions which i believe is the issue. many come here and say "my names are" is incorrect and they have offered absolutely no grammatical analysis as to why it is incorrect. just because an expression sounds funny to the ear or some poorly educated interviewer sneered at you doesnt mean u have said something grammatically incorrect!!!!!!! Popular usage is "my name is" but there is nothing grammatically incorrect in "my names are david ajayi adams" (a forename middle name and surname). READ SOME MORE MR KOFI ANNAN tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Joy Adesina Graduates From OAU Medical School With 9 Awards / Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? / Can A HND Holder Go For Masters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.