Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup (5313 Views)

Flops Of The World Cup / Flops Of The Tournament / The Five Biggest Flops Of The Worldcup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2010
10. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)

Yes, I know it's not all his fault, that is indeed common knowledge. However, the truth is Portugal depend on him to deliver and he failed to live up to the hype on the international stage, again. Blame Carlos Queiroz too, but when the Real Madrid superstar starts to look disinterested you have to admit it makes your blood boil and gets on your nerves as we are well aware of his capabilities.

9. Jonas Gutierrez (Argentina)

Oh Maradona, your selection policy should be one of the wonders of the world to behold. How the Newcastle man was Argentina's starting right-back no one could fathom and eventually not even coach Diego could stand his puzziling performances anymore. To quote a pundit: "he was so bad that even Maradona dropped him."

8. Nicolas Anelka (France)

After such a good club season with Chelsea, some figured Anelka would finally come good on the international stage. However, he was the personification of France's nightmare. Absolutely invisible and non-threatening, he went over - this isn't a joke - 400 minutes without taking a shot for Les Bleus before being sent home after criticising his coach Raymond Domenech when taken off at half-time in a loss to Mexico. Speaking of Raymond, the one everyone hates, he too was a contender for this list, but it's not all his doing, since everyone knew he was a few baguettes short of a bread basket and should have been sacked after Euro2008.

7. Otto Rehhagel (Greece)

I never thought I'd see the day a king became the village idiot, but here we are. He must have thought this was still 2004, but teams were not deluded versus them as they were in that European Championships. His team had no ambition and no hope. Unwatchable, partly due to what appeared to be a six-man backline at times. They won one match versus Nigeria, but only because the Africans imploded.

6. Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)

The 'Berlin Wall' of 2006 was a shadow of his fomer self. Clearly past it physically, the 36-year-old made some atrocious mistakes versus Paraguay, New Zealand and Slovakia. The captain and symbol of his side only epitomised how slow, lacklustre and insipid the Azzurri were. Yes, I could have chosen almost any of his team-mates (Alberto Gilardino, Daniele De Rossi and Vincenzo Iaquinta among them) as well, but after such a drop-off in a brilliant career, how could I resist. His best highlight was handing over the trophy at the final - over two weeks after the now ex-champions bowed out at the first hurdle.

5. Felipe Melo (Brazil)

The Juventus curse continues with the Brazilian, who was one of the main culprits of the Samba Boys exit at the hands of finalists Netherlands. An own goal (later credited to Wesley Sneijder) and a needless and petulent red card against the Oranje were a major reason the South Americans were sent home earlier than expected.

4. Nigeria

Before a ball was kicked they were counting on making it into the knockout stages and were one of the hopes for Africa, However, earning just one point and flopping in the group stages, it quickly became apparent they were in dissarray. They were so terrible that Head of State Goodluck Jonathan imposed a two-year ban for the team before he later rescinded it under pressure from FIFA.

3. Fernando Torres (Spain)

The oft-injured Liverpool talisman clearly wasn't at his best for the triumphant Roja, even if he did play a [small] part in their World Cup winning goal. He was rusty, lacked sharpness, his finishing was beyond poor and no one more than himself will find it embarrassing to waste chance after chance and eventually be relegated to the bench for the start of the semi-final and final.

2. Marcello Lippi (Italy)

The same tactician who made inspired substitutions and created a compact yet free-flowing world champion outfit in 2006 was unable to bring anything positive to 2010. For two years telling the Italian public to trust that he would create a side capable of challenging and defending their title, the ex-Napoli boss arguably put together the worst Italy side in history, collecting only two points. Baffling personnel decisions, tactics, and an overall lack of creativity and urgency ensured only a horrific, but spectacular, group stage exit.

1. Wayne Rooney (England)

'Wazza' was expected to deliver for England, but was indeed the biggest disappointment in South Africa. No goals and visibly frustrated for long stretches, the Manchester United goal-scoring machine did not replicate his club form with the Three Lions. Worse still, he told his own fans off, when he should have acknowledged deficiencies. Of all players, the undeniable flop of the tournament. Was the burden of expectation just too much?

Dishonourable Mentions

As previously mentioned, France and Raymond Domenech created a circus, but we could see it coming. Serbia once again flattered to deceive on the biggest stage. John Terry and Martin Demichelis were exposed and had fingers pointed at them on a few occasions, which fingers I'll leave up to your imagination.

North Korea's Jong Tae Se will be included just for being so overly confident ahead of the tournament. Meanwhile, Cameroon boss Paul Le Guen had his tactics completely wrong en route to being bounced from Group E. Striker Prince Tagoe was one of the few underachievers for the Black Stars.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2010/07/12/2021270/top-10-flops-of-the-world-cup
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 3:54pm On Jul 12, 2010
Actually, I don't think C. Ronaldo should be there because he had a goal and only a goal they conceded kept them out of the tournament.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by candylips(m): 5:07pm On Jul 12, 2010
Nigeria is on the list smiley
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 5:28pm On Jul 12, 2010
candylips:

Nigeria is on the list smiley

Yakubu should have represented us instead of the whole team.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by DrKitaun(m): 6:09pm On Jul 12, 2010
Stewpid list. . .

How did NIGERIA flop ? Whoever gave them a chance in d 1st place ?

Why would Rooney be on d list and Messi is not ?

Who is Guetirrez ?

Where is Osaze and Obafemi ? No need adding Kaita and Yakubu, b4 d WC not much was expected 4rm them.

Another flop was Di Maria . . .whats d hype about ?

RVP nko ?

FIFA and its refs for dubious officiating.

JABULANI !
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 12, 2010
why the hell is Messi NOT on the poster's list?!
i was expecting him to dribble 10 players and score the best goal in the history of football. . . . . . . ROTFLMAO!!!!
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by obinna5000(m): 8:00pm On Jul 12, 2010
Yakubu Aiyegbeni & Lionel Messi should have been on the list.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ice234: 8:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
ronaldo, van persie, torres, kaka, drogba, all italian, engish and french squad member exp rooney lampard iaquinta
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by mamagee3(f): 8:47pm On Jul 12, 2010
Why isn't Messi and Kaka on the list?

I die laughing about Nigeria being on the list. lol
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ice234: 9:53pm On Jul 12, 2010
nigeria no good before. so no suprise
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by mensdept: 1:00am On Jul 13, 2010
Just glad this WC is over sad
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 12:46pm On Jul 13, 2010
Messi is the best Argentina player in the tournament, so he can't be there
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 12:48pm On Jul 13, 2010
The reason why Messi cannot be on the list is because he played a playmaker role and was directly involved in 6 of the Argies 10 goals and had the highest shots on goal in the tournament considering the numbers of defenders that marked him.

Look at the picture below for instance and the rating.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/06/17/1981380/world-cup-player-ratings-argentina-4-1-south-korea

He was able to attract 5 players to himself alone leaving Aguero unmarked before chipping the ball over the defenders to him.

Higuan scored 3 goals all with the help of Messi and check out the comments people made about him.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2010
Since Rooney is number 1 on your list, I bow for you. God have mercy on that poor guy, he was just running up and
down the whole field poor thing embarassed embarassed embarassed

take my sweetheart Fabio Cannavaro off that list abi have mercy on him.

PurestBoy:

4. Nigeria

Before a ball was kicked they were counting on making it into the knockout stages and were one of the hopes for Africa, However, earning just one point and flopping in the group stages, it quickly became apparent they were in dissarray. They were so terrible that Head of State Goodluck Jonathan imposed a two-year ban for the team before he later rescinded it under pressure from FIFA.

Chie!! the whole team grin grin
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 1:50pm On Jul 13, 2010
rokiatu:

Since Rooney is number 1 on your list, I bow for you. God have mercy on that poor guy, he was just running up and
down the whole field poor thing embarassed embarassed embarassed

take my sweetheart Fabio Cannavaro off that list abi have mercy on him.
Chie!! the whole team grin grin

Even our dear President Jonathan has become a laughing stock in most football sites
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by MrAnus: 2:19pm On Jul 14, 2010
i cannot stand that half cast boy, owinwinde. he tryin to steal my chick. she crazy about him. the sad thing is that he dammm ugly
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by davidif: 2:21pm On Jul 14, 2010
WHAT?!?!?!? HOW COULD MARCELLO LIPPI BE SELECTED AHEAD OF DOMENECH?
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Moranike: 2:35pm On Jul 14, 2010
How come the poster forgot referee coulibally from mali who denied the U.S a clean goal they score against slovenia., How come YAKUBU AIEGBENI (IDIOT, FOOL, MUMU) was not included since he had the worst miss of the tournament. Pls let this post be reviewed.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Akuviv: 2:37pm On Jul 14, 2010
Saying Yakubu should be on the list is an undeserved compliment cos it means he was expected to deliver  but failed! I'm would have been shocked shocked shocked if he performed excellently. He is not a flop if you ask me, just been Yak!
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by canuck(m): 2:59pm On Jul 14, 2010
Notice how 9 INDIVIDUALS and 1 NATION were noted as flops? An entire country of flops?! angry
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Jencejyde(m): 3:02pm On Jul 14, 2010
canuck:

Notice how 9 INDIVIDUALS and 1 NATION were noted as flops? An entire country of flops?! angry
Noticed!!!

Mr Anus:

i cannot stand that half cast boy, owinwinde. he tryin to steal my chick. she crazy about him. the sad thing is that he dammm ugly
Keep your head up Bros!
PurestBoy:

Even our dear President Jonathan has become a laughing stock in most football sites
Over correct is worrying you jare.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by jeezfreak7: 3:48pm On Jul 14, 2010
under no condition should c ronaldo be among the list,did he have a bad performance,certainly not!,rooney is rightfully on the list,so is torres,what about messi?! he did his best,It was not enough,afterall he tried,he is messi and not the Argentine team.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Newest: 4:07pm On Jul 14, 2010
Nigeria??

Then where's Italy?, of cox ours is beta than theirs i fink they should have picked representatives like they did the other

I present YAKUBU,
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ethanson12: 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2010
This are the top 10 flop player in world cup:-
10. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
5. Felipe Melo (Brazil)
4. Nigeria
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by matiltomd(f): 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2010
@Canuck, i follow you bro! 9 individuals and 1 sovereign nation, i hiss in Greek!

@Akuviv; Still do not understand why or how some people expected Yakubu to have performed 'abrakadabra' at the World Cup. He was just being himself! But i hate the word 'Yak', sounds pretty annoying! Was reading a mag the other day and his wife was reeling with glee how she was going to watch the 'Yak' play at the WC;little did she know,

@Mr Anus, pele bro! Funny enough,today's Osaze's birthday;care to wish him a happy birthday! Lol
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 14, 2010
ice234:

ronaldo, van persie, torres, kaka, drogba, all italian, engish and french squad member exp rooney lampard iaquinta
Common its obvious u didnt watch world cup, why Van persie, kaka, Drogba and ronaldo, do u kno what flop is all about, For This I nominate 5 countries and one body to take resposibility for all the flops: 1 Nigeria , 2 France, 3 Italy, 4 England, 5 argentina, and 6 FIFA for appointing Howard Web( the blunder himself) in the final and for Jabulani ball, others can be pardon cos either their country try 4 them or they tried 4 their country
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by sulad82i(m): 5:57pm On Jul 14, 2010
Messi should be number 2
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by walley112: 6:02pm On Jul 14, 2010
NFF is the biggest flop; i dont know why its not mentioned
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Spyker: 6:19pm On Jul 14, 2010
ethanson12:

This are the top 10 flop player in world cup:-
10. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) -- Wrong Inclusion
5. Felipe Melo (Brazil)
4. Nigeria - Wrong inclusion (So Enyeama is a flop?, lie), Rather NFF, Yakubu, Kaita, Lars Lagerback and Goodluck should replace Nigeria.

If countries were included, then France, England and all those who packed those luggages after the first round should be there. Fifa rated Nigeria 27 out of 32. We got what we deserved.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by CarlosVent(m): 6:41pm On Jul 14, 2010
pls add david villa
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by mamagee3(f): 8:21pm On Jul 14, 2010
^^How did David Villa flop?

Didn't his team win the World Cup?
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by larimo(m): 9:46pm On Jul 14, 2010
Spyker:

If countries were included, then France, England and all those who packed those luggages after the first round should be there. Fifa rated Nigeria 27 out of 32. We got what we deserved.
Exactly. Bias list,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Give Me Benefit Of Doubt ....10 Odds Everyday / Henry Nwosu: Sacking Rohr May Jeopardise Eagles’ AFCON 2021 Chances / Aspiring To Be A Coach Or Referee (football)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.