Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,236 members, 7,836,132 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

SURVIVORS (a Novel) - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / SURVIVORS (a Novel) (19702 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / The Thorny Path To Italy- A Novel By Akíntayo Akinjide / Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by francium001: 5:23pm On Dec 22, 2018
Amanda you can do this
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by queenitee(f): 9:03pm On Dec 22, 2018
Poor Jemeh, Amanda time to fight back
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 7:13am On Dec 23, 2018
EPISODE 40

Chivera called at Anderson’s place in an impromptu, disregarding their well defined terms of meeting.

“Papa, where’s Mother?”

“Away!”

Chivera sat more relaxed.

“My source had just informed me that the target will be taken off the support machine tomorrow.”

“Why, and by whose decision?”

“He didn’t tell.”

“I think someone bigger than us is behind this.”

“Don’t you think it might be family’s decision?” Chivera asked.

“Family would want to give him more time and they couldn’t have run out of cash, the government is paying and not them. Any way, it’s good for us – we don’t have to interfere anymore ."

"She'd been spotted around his ward several times,” Chivera said.

"Really! We execute plan B right away then – take her if she shows up tomorrow. So the two had been seeing each other, what a snitch!... we're trading Amanda for the document.

“Yeah!”

“Do not blow up tomorrow.” Anderson moved closer to Chivera and parted the hair from her face. “And be careful, ma fille.” 

“Okay, papa, I will.”

Jemeh felt a lot more better having his memories back. Amanda was much more delighted about the new 
development, unknowing to her, Jemeh would be gone by this time the next day . She kept thinking and fantasizing on how to break into the ER, and presenting Jemeh to her father as a hero then prosecute Anderson for his sins.

“My Dad's gonna be delighted to meet you.”

“What  if I was caught in the cameras?”

“You weren’t caught, he would have killed you himself.”

"I wish I can turn back time.”

“And what’re you gonna do?”

“I would never have met you, Manda,” Jemeh said in a shaking voice, “It’d have spared me the painful moment of losing you.”

Amanda looked down but in all, she still saw hope.

“My Mum didn’t die on da accident spot, she was taken to da hospital and placed in  Emergency Room.”

“Did she ever appeared to you?”

“No.”

“I was there with her for the  three agonizing days she spent fighting for life.”

Jemeh drew closer to her.

“Did you know that  my Dad never showed up, not even once?”

“Such a shrewd man.”

“Yeah, he’s an ass,” Amanda said, “So sad I couldn’t save ma mother.

“It wasn’t your fault, Manda.”

“You may say that again, but I’m not gonna let it happen again to someone I care about…I’m breaking in by midnight.”

“I won’t let you, Manda.”

“Tryna stop me then!”

Very early in the morning of the next day, Chivera kitted up in black hood  body-fitting camo, black sneakers and a digital wrist watch. She stood in front of the bath-mirror, drawing some lines on her face with camo paste. Done with that, she began to load her waist–bag with some sniper equipments: a sniper scope, a knife, ear piece and others. She checked her wrist watch, it was almost 2am; a perfect timing she’d trained with. She took a deep breath and checked to see her pistol fully loaded. She put it on safety and shoved it into her pants, 
then she started moving out to fetch her car.

Amanda suddenly got up and stiffen a yawn.

“Damn! half past two already!” she groaned as she took a glance at the wall clock.  She’d wanted to be at the hospital before that time, but for her late night chat with Jemeh. She’d slept off on the sofa they shared last night. 

She rushed to her room to get dressed and in few minutes, she was out in a 
dark blue knee-length gown upon black leggis. She put her handgun in her handbag and went on the deck. There she found Jemeh standing and staring at the gloomy streets. 

“Jemeh,” Amanda called, "I’m set for the hospital.” 

Jemeh shifted his gaze to Amanda, “I’m sorry you can’t go.”

“No! please, lemme go! I promise I’ll be fine!”

“You got company.”

“Who?”

“Chievera."

“I can handle her."

“No, you can’t! she may not be alone and your abduction is their target.”

“How did you know all these?”

"I paid them a visit last night,” Jemeh continued, "Someone has also signed for my oxygen to be removed today.”

“What?”

“This is a lost battle, Manda, the end seems to be closer than the clothes I'm putting on. Gabriel is also here for me.”

“But why is all these happening same time?” Amanda cried and lowered to the concrete floor.

TBC...
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 4:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
Haaaa, why na
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 5:40am On Dec 24, 2018
I don't want Jemeh to leave Manda oooo

Thanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 10:50am On Dec 24, 2018
EPISODE 41

“I think it’s the spiritual manifesting in the physical," Jemeh said.

There was a dark silence between Amanda and Jemeh as Jemeh returned his eyes to the streets and Amanda down sobbing. Few minutes later, Amanda got up all of a sudden with a 
renewed determination.

“Jem! I’m breaking in! I may not be able to control the spiritual but da physical is all mine. I’m not gonna lose you,” Amanda said with brooding eyes.

Jemeh, seeing Amanda’s strong determination like never before decided to take the risk of letting her go. 

“I’m sorry, you I’ll have to go alone,” Jemeh said, “I’m answerable to Gabriel by whim, can’t even take my eyes off him.”

“Listen, Jem,” Amanda now spoke in whispers.“I don’t believe yah chance of survival is lost, don’t listen to that angel of death, fight back!”

“Alright, now, go to the hospital and do what you have to do. I’ll try and buy us some time.”

Jemeh’s sudden faith brought a devastating smile to Amanda's face, her 
strength began to grow.

“Aye!” Amanda said.

Jemeh moved closer to her, trying hard to ignore Gabriel’s presence. He held her by both hands in his abstract hands, looking deeply into her eyes.

“And if we never meet again?” Amanda asked.

Jemeh propelled his lips forward for a kiss and Amanda  took it. And what 
supposed to be a kissing – the- air for both, ended up unbelieving; they felt each others lips, though it only  lasted a second, but they felt it.

“Wow!" They chorused in mumbles. Amanda couldn’t stop blushing, “You owe me more of this, Jem.”she said.

“Absolutely!” Jemeh responded, smiling. “Now, hurry along, let me handle my old friend.”

“Aye!” Amanda said and started for the staircase.

“Remember, I’m not losing you!” Jemeh spoke loud enough for her to hear from the distance. His eyes narrowed with darkness as he returned his gaze to Gabriel and started walking to him.

Gabriel wasn’t cool with Jemeh’s attitude which had taken him a little unaware. As one of the Keeper’s oldest Guardian in charge of those in transition from mortality to immortality, he was powerful but couldn’t tell of Jemeh’s newly developed resistance, he couldn’t tell for sure, the extent at which the woman whom he had sacrificed his only hope of survival had enchanted him.

“Jemeh!” Gabriel thundered, “I showed ye the path to life, but ye have chosen the path to perdition 
instead?” he yelled in a voice that echoed anger. He wasn’t clothed in his usual fine linen, white and clean, and hadn’t come in his ocean blue eyes.“Remember and forget not, Jemeh, how thou provokest thy Keeper to wrath in thy wilderness, from the day thou didst depart from that woman until now. Thou have been rebellious even against me,” Gabriel’s eyes was a fury flame as he spoke.

“What would you have me do, she was dying, Gabriel,”Jemeh said.

“What would I have thou doest?” Gabriel thundered.“Thy freedom is ended, Jemeh!”

The clouds opened up and a very bright light beamed down from heavens.
Jemeh knew the end had come for him; the light Amanda had always talked about was right in front of him, but he could at least buy Amanda more time by engaging Gabriel in conversations.

“Alright, alright, but don’t I deserve a second chance? I mean, I was unjustly murdered in cold blood.”

“Thou hadst it.”

“No, that was my first… I mean a second one.”

Gabriel shook his head nonchalantly, chuckled and ordered Jemeh to walk to the light.

Jemeh wanted to hesitate, but quickly cautioned himself, knowing Gabriel would throw him into the light with a simple touch. So, he started walking to the light, but slowly. A little closer to the light, he turned back to Gabriel and resumed his whining.

“You said you gave up your life saving your wife, right?” Jemeh asked.

“Yes, and how didest she pay me back?”

“You never told me.” Jemeh shrugged his shoulders.

Gabriel lingered for a while before speaking in a remorseful voice.“She abideth with another man three months after i was gone. I was just too weak.”

“You weren’t weak, Gabriel, you were in love and it’s a beautiful thing.”

“Believeth it or doubt, thou is about to be consumed by the same weakness. Now, will thou keepest moving or doeth we the hard way?” Gabriel said and started moving towards Jemeh. 

“Gabriel, you know what? The first time I met you, I thought you were the most gentle man I had ever seen, but what you’re about to do now…” Jemeh said looking down.

"I'm sorry my friend, I'm only a messenger of the Keeper."

Amanda parked her car some distance away from the hospital. In that odd hour, the only sign of life in the neighbourhood was the sounds of electrical generator sets, which were loud enough to muffle the sound of her footsteps as she walked into the hospital yard. She tip-toed past the slumbering security man at the main gate. At the reception room, she was lucky also to have the receptionist sleeping. She headed for the tenth floor, not knowing exactly what to do with the guard there. All along, she’d seen no sign of Chivera or any company until she got to the floor and found Chivera staring at Jemeh’s lifeless body through the transparent door.

“Bof! You must be Amanda, I’ve been expecting you,” Chivera said, without turning to face Amanda.

She’d seen Amanda before she got to the floor.

“And you must be Chivera – da coward.”

“Really? Hahahaha!”

“You hurt him once before, you bitch, buh not again because I’m here, you'll have to pass through me!" Amanda snarled.

“Nase! Baby, I don’t have to because the hospital is gonna put an end to your friend’s misery today.”

Tbc....

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 1:19pm On Dec 24, 2018
Interesting

Thanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 4:33pm On Dec 24, 2018
Pakiti lolejaa ijalolejaa, oya mona start ham ooo

Tanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 7:02am On Dec 25, 2018
Merry Christmas to y'all!!!
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 8:14am On Dec 25, 2018
authorsegun:
Merry Christmas to y'all!!!

S2u OP

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by queenitee(f): 8:24am On Dec 25, 2018
Merry Christmas

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 3:24pm On Dec 25, 2018
EPISODE 42

“Nase! Baby, I don’t have to because the hospital is gonna put an end to your friend’s misery today,”Chivera said, smiling, then she frowned up. “I came for you, you can follow me peacefully or make it hard on yourself.”

This bitch isn't different from how Jemeh had described her, Amanda thought to herself and quietly narrowed her hand into her bag, grabbed her gun and took out the safety. When Chivera took a step forward, she drew the gun and aimed at her head.“Shush! Bitch!”

Chivera reacted to the weapon in Amanda’s hand with Widened eyes. She jerked backward and raise her hands in the air. “Oops! Easy, Babe!”
she said.

“One more step and yah brain spills on da floor.” Amanda was now in control as she motioned Chivera with the gun out of the way and moved to the door to check on Jemeh’s body. The chart on the monitoring screen was just like the last time she visited. She took a deep breath and focused her eyes fully on Chivera. If she must gain access to Jemeh’s body, she must knock her out, since she’d no nerves to take her life, Amanda's eyes danced to the thought.

Chivera noticed Amanda’s bewilderment. Disarming her sprang up in her mind all at once. She’d been trained for this, she’d an inbuilt strength to do this. With martial art moves, she kicked Amanda’s gun swiftly into the air to an unknown direction. Amanda never saw the kick coming, she stood momentarily dazzled until another one smashed on her jaw, and was thrown
to the floor by the heavy impact. Her demeanor clearly expressed the extent at which the kick had infringed pain in her as she was now sprawling on the floor. She was sure of passing out if she allowed the girl hit her again. She began to gather some momentum as her vision cleared up a little. She started struggling up on her feet. As she struggled up, one thing kept poking her mind, which was: she’d no much time to spare because of Gabriel. If she must save Jemeh, she must find a way to defeat Chivera in time to access Jemeh's body. With an unusual agility, Amanda hauled her full weight against Chivera like a launched spear, and they fell like heavy logs of wood on the hard floor. Amanda rolled over Chivera and held tightly on her right hand, grunting with the effort, trying to restrict it from bringing out the gun from Chivera's pant, but Chivera soon out powered her and began to elbow her neck many times until her grip slackened and Chivera pulled away from her.

Chivera now standing and pointing the gun at Amanda, who was on the floor groaning with the pain of her
sprained neck and broken jaw.

“You could have saved yourself these bruises, Pretty face! Now get up and move… we’re going downstairs,” Chivera motioned Amanda with the gun. “I’ve had enough of your insolence, I said get up!”

Amanda was struggling up the floor in obedience when the support machine indicator started beeping warning signals – the familiar sound of her mother’s last minute on the machine before she passed away. Her heart started beating faster. She recalled her moments with Jemeh in a flash; how they’d shared their common joy and griefs. She gave prayer a second chance – with tears in her eyes. Suddenly, she whirled around to face Chivera, and began to move towards her. Chivera felt uncomfortable with Amanda’s guts. She might be forced to forfeit the ideal plan of taking Amanda alive, she thought, at least she’d an excuse to give.

“Nase! I would have no choice other than shooting you if you take one more step,” Chivera threatened.

Amanda wasn’t listening to her, she was listening to her instinct, lost in the assurance it was giving her;
that she could defeat Chivera even with the gun in hand, she could dodge flying bullets. Darkness glared in her grey eyes as she kept advancing.

Chivera took an easy shot, aiming at Amanda's right arm. Amanda dodged the bullet skillfully, and with an unbelieving speed. Chivera frowned at the miss. She let out two bullet instantly and simultaneously, aiming at Amanda’s legs, but again Amanda dodged. Chivera developed a sudden moment of panic as Amanda kept pressing forward. She then let out a multiple of shots, not minding the part of Amanda's body the bullets would hit anymore. Amanda steadied her eyes on each of the five bullets fired at her as they approached her in slow motion; it was a picture in her head playing out for real. She did all sort of movement until the last bullet just flew past her.

Chivera didn’t believe her eyes, the next thing she felt was a slam on her head by Amanda and her lights went out. 

Amanda hurried to the door to Jemeh's ward and started hitting the glass in it with her shoe heel until it shattered. Then she opened the lock from inside and sprang the door opened. She rushed in trying very much to keep her cool as she nervously stared at the screen of the monitoring machine, and then back to Jemeh. She placed her right hand on one side of his cheek and kissed him gently.

“Yes!” Amanda hummed, feeling the usual static electric impulse Jemeh gave.“Welcome back, Jem!” she muttered in anticipation. About five second later, the frequency chart on the screen began to move up and the beeping sound started dying down. Amanda’s eyes beamed up at this. She waited Jemeh’s recovery with eagerness until Chivera called from behind with a gun in her hand. Amanda turned around with her hands raised to the roof.

Chivera’s recovery was too speedy for any normal human; Amanda’s eyes were asking so many questions as they moved around. Even the heel Amanda had used in knocking out her lights was still dripping fresh blood, but here she was standing and looking not hurt.

“I won’t fluff this time around,” Chivera said with her eyes flamed-up; she wanted nothing less than shooting, because Amanda was too risky to be toyed with.

Amanda saw the broodiness in Chivera’s eyes, she was certain she would shoot her, but how could she die at this point? At this point when she was hoping to meet Jemeh physically. If only that bravery a moment ago had not gone a million miles away. She made one more fruitless effort to bringing back the instinct, but failed. She would die a million times for Jemeh’s sake, her eyes were closed to the thought as she stood still, awaiting a bullet in her head, but the expectant sound of a gunshot turned out to be the sound of electric spark.

Tbc...
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 25, 2018
Well done OP

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by francium001: 4:13pm On Dec 25, 2018
Wow! Thanks for the Update

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by queenitee(f): 6:35am On Dec 26, 2018
Electric spark
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 7:04am On Dec 27, 2018
Tbc...

EPISODE 43

Amanda opened her eyes and saw Chivera convulsing to an electric shock. Amusement glimmered in her eyes. “Jem!” she hummed, smiled and turned back to see Jemeh seated on the side rail of the bed, unplugging the cords connected to his body from the life support machine. She wanted to scream, run and jump on him, but she waited to see if he wasn’t a stranger in his own flesh and blood. What will she do if Nora’s speculations turned right? She waited anxiously with her heart in her mouth.

Jemeh done detaching the cords, got on his feet and walked toward Amanda. Her anxiety intensified as 
Jemeh got to her and stopped. He gave her a quick stare, she smiled, hoping he would say something but instead, he walked away. Tears damped her eyes all at once. He couldn’t recognize her, she thought and turned around to see where he had headed. There he was checking Chivera’s pulse. Amanda stood 
stunned watching until he stood up and returned to her.

“Are you alright?” Jemeh asked Amanda.

“Yea, yeah, just ma neck,” Amanda spluttered, holding her neck. “Is she dead?”she asked.

“No," Jemeh continued, “Have we met before?”

“Maybe.”

"You owe me something, right?”

Amanda chuckled and answered, “Yes!... yes I owe you!”

Jemeh drew closer to her and gave her a kiss. Actually there was no time for a passionate kiss, but as quick as it was, it blew out the electric bulb on the ceiling directly above them. Right then the elevator started flashing light, someone was coming. Amanda quickly went for the gun on the floor awaiting the occupant of the elevator car.

Anderson got out of the elevator and was shocked to see Jemeh alive and her daughter lying lifeless on 
the floor. He threw an irrational blame on himself for pushing his daughter this far. What explanation would be enough to console her mother? His inner voice questioned him and left him with silent regrets. Losing her only daughter to the Walkers again was what broke his heart the most.  He craved for more blood shed as he kept pointing the silver hand gun 
against Jemeh and Amanda. A minute later, Chivera started grunting in pain and propped herself up on one elbow, her back against the wall. She massaged her neck and flicked her hair to the back, off her face. Anderson lowered himself to her, tilting his gun to a gradient that would still make a reasonable strike on his enemies. He took her hand and steered her up the floor. Chivera's eyes reflected silent apology as she looked into her father’s grey eyes.

“Are you alright?” Anderson asked with a divided attention shared between Chivera and his enemies. He became filled with shame, he wish he could explain and apologize to Jemeh, but the situation had gone out of control.

Is this bitch a robot? Amanda wondered, how did she manage another quick recovery? Amanda's eyes bulged surprises as Chivera was now standing without support. It was just then that Anderson and Amanda’s eyes had their first meeting. The visual collision instituted a flashback in the heads of both.

Amanda recalled how her mother had grunted something about her real 
father’s eyes just before she went into coma. The truncated statement had been a puzzle to Amanda until now that it looked unfolding.

Anderson on the other side remembered his last correspondence with Amanda’s mother many years ago over a phone call. She’d told him that he’d see his eyes in his daughter’s eyes, when he inquired about his newly born  baby's looks. She'd refused to say much for the fear of Walker; Amanda’s step-father, then cut all contact between them.

Amanda had grown to be the mirror image of Anderson as against the lacuna in the physical features that existed 
between her squat and chunky Stepfather and her.

“Mimi!” Anderson called out loud to satisfy his curiosity. He only knew her as Mimi, the name he’d sent to Mrs. Walker
upon the naming of Amanda.

Amanda grimaced at the sound of the name; only her mother used to call her 
by it.“What did you just call me?” Amanda asked Anderson.

“What is going on here, Papa?” Chivera butted-in.

“She’s your half sister, Chi," Anderson said to Chivera.

“What!” shouted Chivera.

“Yes!” said Anderson as he lowered his gun to the ground. A grim look was caught in his face as he raised his hands above his head.

“Mimi listen, I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I’m your biological father,” Anderson said in a low and appealing voice.“Nkem - NK, your mother was my lover… I’m Anderson… you got those eyes from me.”

Amanda also recognized her mother’s name, but it pained her that such a man was her real father that her
mother used her last breath to reveal to her.

“Shut da Bleep up!” Amanda shouted. Tears began to gather in her eyes. Anderson raised his hand higher. “You don’t know what yah talking about!”she groaned as her eyes darkened up with the sorrow of having her family background shrouded in misery. She was confused, her hand started shivering as she held firmly to the gun, swinging its direction between Chivera and Anderson. She turned to Jemeh without speaking, for his opinion.

“Well, he’s telling the truth… his blood runs in you,” said Jemeh.

“And how’re you sure about this, Jem?”

“I scanned the DNA of you both.”

Amanda’s eyes widened with silent questions.“New tricks from Gabriel?”she asked.

Jemeh nodded.

It gladdened Amanda to know that Jemeh still possessed his abilities after returning to life. She smiled and returned her attention to Anderson.

Frustration came upon Chivera, she started putting blames on Anderson for all that had happened. She apologized to Jemehand confessed that she wasn’t the one that crushed Jemeh. She explained further, that Jemeh had been knocked off before she got to him and she was the anonymous caller of the ambulance that took Jemeh to the hospital.

“Then who did?”Amanda queried.

There was a moment of silence before Jemeh spoke,“Walker did!”

“Bof! That son of a bitch is always ahead,” Anderson groaned and began to reveal his revenge plot against Walker in between shame and regret. He told them of how Walker had taken everything from him – the tobacco company, his father and the woman he loved with his child inside her. He narrated how he and Amanda’s mother had planned to settle down upon their graduation from the university, but Walker through blackmail lured Amanda’s grandfather to giving his daughter out for marriage under duress – a marriage aimed at getting the mandate of the black communities for his business brands at that time when racism was touring freely in the world.

In the course of revenge, Anderson took to work for Walker in order to get closer to his daughter and taking back the company. The document Jemeh had failed to deliver was meant to 
blackmail Walker to selling his shares of the company to Anderson. Anderson kept apologizing intermittently in his narratives and everyone began to judge and rationalize his deeds until Jemeh began to speak, standing in the centre of the three.

“I tell you, the real villain is not Walker, nor this man standing here," he said, pointing to Anderson. "The world is yet to experience the terror of the true villain,” he continued, “I hurt you, you hurt me, we hurt each other… we are all guilty in one way or two, but it’s time to burry the axe."

There was silence in the air as he spoke on.

Tbc...
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by francium001: 9:12am On Dec 27, 2018
Keep it up
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 9:34am On Dec 27, 2018
Interesting

Well done OP
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 4:01pm On Dec 27, 2018
Tanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Evold: 10:02am On Dec 28, 2018
Nice piece.Let me get a permanent seat in the corner as we wait for more.
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 12:14pm On Dec 28, 2018
EPISODE 34

“This woman here,” Jemeh pointed to Amanda, “…and I shared a perfect love  that broke eternal laws and brought me back to life; the kind of love that can sympathize with the 
world in the time of tribulation. Let us all deal with our grievances and losses today, for tomorrow we 
shall channel our destiny towards a new course – the path of heroes,” he continued, “I have been sent back to life to help my kinds discover their powers, understand and use them for the benefit of mankind. Everyone of us here shares a similar history; we have survived one tragedy or the other because the keeper needed us to survive for the sake of the world.”

“What’s he talking about, Papa?” Chivera asked Anderson.

“Still not clear, Anderson answered.“He’s sounding and acting so strange."

“Very much!”

The murmuring between Anderson and Chivera continued.

Amanda took a grim look at Jemeh and walked closer to him asking,“Are you for real, Jem?”

“Yeah!”

“Aiit, should we understood all yah saying, how do we save da world and with what powers are you talking bout? You speak in parables…”

Jemeh shifted his eyes from Amanda and continued, “Some of us are afraid of our powers, others are ashamed, and have been hiding. Many have been jinxed by their families, and the people around them think of them as evil and paranormal. But these people have been wrong about us – our special abilities are a genetic disorder that we never asked for, so their aftermath effects were never our fault; we were ignorant, but what we do with these powers henceforth is our responsibility.”

The silence persisted and Jemeh continued, "… soon, strange creatures that are smarter, faster, stronger and more intelligent than man will invade our planet. And it’ll start right here, I mean right here in Lagos. These monsters have outgrown the 
capacity of their natural habitat and the most suitable alternative for their survival is earth."

“Aliens! I think I know what you’re driving at, Dania, and it’s good to be a hero, but I don’t want to be 
part of this myth…I just wanna be at peace with my daughters. I’m only human!” Anderson whined.

“Earth is about to lose her peace. You’re only a human you say? If that’s true, then how come you could change your appearance?” Jemeh 
asked Anderson.

“Papa!” Chivera shouted and let go of Anderson’s arm. She could remember on two accounts, when she’d accidentally encountered Anderson with a different face, but had thought it was only an illusion.

“And you Chivera, is it just human that you’ve got the strength of many men, like you used to say? Look,
you've got heavy metal as bones in your body, Vera. None of us here is normal." Jemeh said and moved closer to her. He pocked her on the right cheek with his fore-finger.

Chivera jerked and grunted,“Aww! What did you do that for, Jemeh?”

“You got the heavy shock, and you know why? It’s because you are a good conductor of electricity.”

“Oh! What a family!” Amanda muffled and folded her arms.

“And you, Sweetheart,” Jemeh said, walking to Amanda. “You dodged those bullets with the power of your instinct. You saved me with the same power. And had you understood this power, you could have saved your Mum twenty years ago. Amanda, you have the ability to make your imagination come to life.”

Amanda became breathless with the revelation.

“I have been touching naked wires unharmed since I was a kid, and when our house got gulped by fire, everyone pointed an accusing finger to my uncle. Whereas I caused the electric spark, which was the fire source. The keeper has sent me back to life and I’m here to scout you guys and others of our kind cut across the world. We all have been made to survive for the survival of mankind..."

Chivera's attention got stolen by what she was seeing through the window. Her eyes were wild with terror. She opened her mouth and cried out in fright of the scene. It was a scream beyond the lips, a scream that originated from the lungs and nuzzled through the mouth.

"Oh my God!" Anderson's eyes poked out with a steady gaze as they traced Chivera's eyes to the window.

"What da heck is that?" Amanda drew closer to the window, her feet rooted on the spot.

Out there was raining flames of fire like fireflies falling from the sky in a rocket speed. The first flame had an impact with the earth and caused a devastating explosion. The tremor that followed was felt hundreds of metres away, as it cracked the widow pans of most buildings and vehicles. A terrifying whirring of metal followed, it was so penetrating that people had to cover their pinnas against the bombardment of the high-pitched sound wave on their eardrums; something was in the large bubbles of flame.

Jemeh chuckled, his eyes were discharging electric spark in flamboyant blue. "Looks like our visitors are here already, let's go and check them out."

Chivera's jitters became lost in Jemeh's sparkling eyes, her bones adjusted to give a faint sound of balancing.

Amanda found her legs eventually and walked back to Jemeh with a pensive look. A devastating faint smile flickered across her face as she held Jemeh's upper arm and asked, "Are we gonna die, Jem?"

"We mustn't die," Jemeh replied.

Before the spell of E R I C, security sirens started wailing to the direction of the scene. The whole city soon became kaotic as series of explosions followed the first. Many people panicked, the end of time had come. Just then, a security officer rushed out of the elevator. Anderson who had changed his appearance to a Medical Doctor in white overall hurried to meet him.

"Doc, Doc, are you alright?" the guard asked, looking here and there and over Anderson's shoulders with a sweaty face.

"Yes, yes! What's going on?"

"We are not sure yet. What about the man in the ER?"

"He's discharged."

"Okay, Doc....we are evacuating everyone from the building, Sir."

"Alright, go and alert others, we're right behind you."

"Okay, Sir."

Jemeh gave Anderson a Weldon sign as the guard turned to return to the elevator. 

"Are you ready, Pompkin?" Jemeh asked, looking deeply into Amanda's eyes with his strange eyes.

"Where you go, I follow, Jem."

"Good!" Jemeh said and took the lead to the elevator. Amanda and Chivera followed. It took Anderson a little longer before he could convince himself to join them, and owing to the thought that protecting his daughters would be a propitiatory offering to appease them.

This is just the beginning........

The story continues.

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 12:48pm On Dec 28, 2018
Thanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by benicta(f): 7:37pm On Dec 28, 2018
Wow!
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 7:27pm On Dec 29, 2018
Thanks for reading all along!
Happy New Year!!!
Read part one from the scratch again!
Next series will be more complicated.

Thanks for your comments so far, it keeps the tread on front page, thereby increasing the number of views which is the joy of every writer. Ghost readers repent and start commenting! Criticism is allowed but constructive!

SURVIVORS part two

All rights reserved.
Copyright© Author Segun 2018
07064376494 (text only)
authorsegun@gmail.com

Note: This is a pure work of fiction, any resemblance is coincidental.

PROLOGUE

"Jem...Jemeh! Are you okay, are you okay? Oh my God! He's down! Bring me da torch, Sergeant Dickson!" the voice of Amanda hooted in the dark.

"The spiritual controls the physical. Our greatest enemy is not only fear, but the shock created by what we've neither seen nor had a knowledge of, but in spite of all these, some will overcome because they've been chosen to survive...but who are the real survivors?" (the voice of an omniscient narrator)

First episode into this series will drop on new year's day @18hrs!

2 Likes

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 1:11pm On Dec 30, 2018
Nice wan OP
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Evold: 5:15pm On Dec 30, 2018
This one with the army will be tough. I can't wait to see the action.
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by queenitee(f): 7:35pm On Dec 30, 2018
Wow wow wow
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 6:23pm On Jan 10, 2019
So sorry, the story ends here.
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Evold: 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2019
authorsegun:
So sorry, the story ends here.
I don't understand
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 7:41pm On Jan 15, 2019
Evold:
I don't understand
maybe I'm not motivated enough and maybe I don't have a readership here.
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Fazemood(m): 12:04am On Jan 19, 2019
This is nice .
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 9:41pm On Jan 22, 2019
Pls how do I retrieve my nairaland password?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Book Of Death / Which Author's Books Have You Read The Most? / Êru ti Ife - Ashes Of Love.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.