Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,256 members, 7,811,716 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? (3534 Views)

Konami’s E-football 2022 Is On Its Way To Being One Of D Worst Games In History / Needed Download Link For The Old Winning Eleven 2012 Konami / Konami Just Revealed How Good Usain Bolt Will Be In PES 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 9:19am On Oct 12, 2018
(shrug) Is the licence some sort of glory hole or some sh!t, one pen!s at a time?

Why can't the policy be established by the respective leagues and not the gaming industries? If anything, it means more money for the leagues. Why would they allow themselves be bought?

We all know FIFA is about to get worse, right? With almost all licences there would be near-zero improvement on their already crappy gameplay that they improve very slightly every 5 years. If this forces Konami out of market it's gonna be the end of football gaming.

I've googled but can't find why the licences have to be used by one gaming company at a time. Anybody knows why?
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by kodded(m): 9:22am On Oct 12, 2018
LucemFerre:
(shrug) Is the licence some sort of glory hole or some sh!t, one pen!s at a time?

Why can't the policy be established by the respective leagues and not the gaming industries? If anything, it means more money for the leagues. Why would they allow themselves be bought?

We all know FIFA is about to get worse, right? With almost all licences there would be near-zero improvement on their already crappy gameplay that they improve very slightly every 5 years. If this forces Konami out of market it's gonna be the end of football gaming.

I've googled but can't find why the licences have to be used by one gaming company at a time. Anybody knows why?
same way dstv can only show EPL while startimes can only show bundesliga
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by khalhokage(m): 9:45am On Oct 12, 2018
That's how exclusive licences work, it's the same reason the new Spiderman game is a PS4 exclusive while Rise of the Tomb Raider is Xbox one exclusive.

EA pays for exclusive licences and exclusive licences mean that no other publishers are allowed to use them, to cut a long story short, it's all about the money.
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 11:12am On Oct 12, 2018
You guys don't understand what I said.

I know how exclusivity works. I'm asking why
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Lana1(m): 12:25pm On Oct 12, 2018
LucemFerre:
You guys don't understand what I said.

I know how exclusivity works. I'm asking why

khalhokage:
it's all about the money.

Having exclusive rights to the leagues will mean more sales for EA coz people will fall in to buy Fifa coz no one will want to play PES with Man Blue, Tyneside and the clubs fake jerseys etc...
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 12:40pm On Oct 12, 2018
Lana1:

Having exclusive rights to the leagues will mean more sales for EA coz people will fall in to buy Fifa coz no one will want to play PES with Man Blue, Tyneside and the clubs fake jerseys etc...

EA doesn't own FIFA, correct?
Right, why doesn't FIFA as a body abolish the rule that only one company can own the licence at a time?

Or does FIFA own the FIFA football game too?
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by khalhokage(m): 1:32pm On Oct 12, 2018
LucemFerre:

Right, why doesn't FIFA as a body abolish the rule that only one company can own the licence at a time?

There's no rule that only one company can use the licence, but a company can pay to be the only ones to use that licence as long as the contract is in effect.

So basically EA is paying a lot of money to be the only publisher that can use said licences.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Lana1(m): 1:48pm On Oct 12, 2018
LucemFerre:

After some research, just found out that EA added an option to maintain exclusive rights to the License in their deal with Fifa. So even if Fifa wanted to sell those rights to Konami, they cant or else they would be facing a lawsuit from EA for breaching their contract.

So u see, it's not really a rule made by Fifa that can be easily abolished but more like a contract that has been signed and sealed.

The only thing Fifa can do is run out the current contract, not renew with EA when it expires and sell it to Konami. But think of it sef....if u were the head of Marketing at Fifa would u turn down a million(maybe even billion) dollar deal with a big publisher like EA for a smaller one like Konami??
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Thegamingorca(m): 2:43pm On Oct 12, 2018
LucemFerre:

Dude! Lol the Fifa brand is owned by ea sports oh forget the fact that it's the federation's name too. I'll bet EA doesn't settle fifa from the proceeds.
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by khalhokage(m): 3:27pm On Oct 12, 2018
Thegamingorca:

Dude! Lol the Fifa brand is owned by ea sports oh forget the fact that it's the federation's name too. I'll bet EA doesn't settle fifa from the proceeds.

EA can't use the FIFA name without a licence from FIFA themselves, so unless FIFA decided to let them use it for free then they have to pay to use the name.
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 4:12pm On Oct 12, 2018
Lana1:
After some research, just found out that EA added an option to maintain exclusive rights to the License in their deal with Fifa. So even if Fifa wanted to sell those rights to Konami, they cant or else they would be facing a lawsuit from EA for breaching their contract.

So u see, it's not really a rule made by Fifa that can be easily abolished but more like a contract that has been signed and sealed.

The only thing Fifa can do is run out the current contract, not renew with EA when it expires and sell it to Konami. But think of it sef....if u were the head of Marketing at Fifa would u turn down a million(maybe even billion) dollar deal with a big publisher like EA for a smaller one like Konami??

Oh, ok... I get it now. Now I understand what khalhokage meant when he said it's about the money.

Smfh... That's unfortunate
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Lana1(m): 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2018
Thegamingorca:

This is from a thread on Quora...
I worked at EA two different periods - in the late 90s/early 2000s and again a few years ago. The second time around, I had access to information which could have answered this question but I can unequivocally tell you that revealing it would have gotten me fired. That said, I never looked it up so I cannot provide a definitive answer.

What I *can* tell you from experience in a different company which relied on obtaining rights from a sporting organization is that the amount is likely to be extremely high and, unless FIFA is different from similar organizations around the world, could well be so high that EA makes very little margin on the FIFA game. A great parallel is the broadcast rights to NFL games: per Wikipedia through 2013 the broadcast networks paid $$20.4b for the rights to those games and from 2014 to 2022 they will pay $39.6b for the same rights. The NFL does not necessarily care whether the broadcasters make money on those rights or not. They have a monopoly on a very appealing product and every time those rights come up for renewal, you can bet the price will increase. I suppose there is some theoretical number where every broadcaster will say they can't afford it and beg out of bidding, but the value is so great that is unlikely - if Fox decides they can't make money on it, CBS will think they can and so on.

In the same way, FIFA likely ups the fee every time the contract is negotiated with EA and they probably don't care whether or not EA makes money off it - that's EA's problem. And for EA, the overall strength of the EA Sports brand matters so much and has such a halo affect on other products that they could even lose money on FIFA or Madden and still be willing to pay (not to say that they do lose money now but just that they might be willing to). That said, depending on who is the CEO and where the stock price is, there may come a day where EA will decide that it just isn't worth it and will let Take 2 or someone else grab the license.

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 9:13pm On Oct 12, 2018
Fvck me, these people spend a whole lot of money on licences

I don't blame Konami for sacrificing it to make other places better.
That said, in the real world, if they keep losing licences like this, they'd get hurt.
3rd party option files can only go so far. One can't use them online and these days online is where the game at. People love to simulate real football with OG kits and names it will become tiring with time of it keeps showing Man Blue etc
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 13, 2018
Lana could you drop a link to the qoura answer ...thanks .

FIFA is EA's Cash cow ...they will do anything to keep that license .

I'm suspecting that Sony is making moves to a digital only model to avoid piracy or reduce cost .

The major franchises will be the first to adopt this model for an annual subscription fee .
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 13, 2018
LucemFerre:
Fvck me, these people spend a whole lot of money on licences

I don't blame Konami for sacrificing it to make other places better.
That said, in the real world, if they keep losing licences like this, they'd get hurt.
3rd party option files can only go so far. One can't use them online and these days online is where the game at. People love to simulate real football with OG kits and names it will become tiring with time of it keeps showing Man Blue etc

To be honest Konami kind of deserve it for messing up MGS ...I mean they are literally sitting on millions of dollars ( don't take this seriously ...it's far fetched reasoning on my part ).

But then again I wasn't there could be that Kojima has a side to him that we don't know.
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 13, 2018
But what do you guys think about FIFA 19 so far ?

I would get pro Evo but the lack of licenses are just not working for me .
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Lana1(m): 12:14pm On Oct 13, 2018
tobianthony:
Lana could you drop a link to the qoura answer ...thanks .

FIFA is EA's Cash cow ...they will do anything to keep that license .

I'm suspecting that Sony is making moves to a digital only model to avoid piracy or reduce cost .

The major franchises will be the first to adopt this model for an annual subscription fee .

Link
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 13, 2018
Hmmmmmm....
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 3:05pm On Oct 13, 2018
From the FIFA gameplay I saw online, nothing has changed. It's hArdly a surprise though. You need to wait for at least 3 years to see any significant improvement in FIFA's gameplay.
It looks like FIFA 18 with the UCL licence.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2018
tobianthony:

To be honest Konami kind of deserve it for messing up MGS ...I mean they are literally sitting on millions of dollars ( don't take this seriously ...it's far fetched reasoning on my part ).

But then again I wasn't there could be that Kojima has a side to him that we don't know.

Following the same logic. EA should have been burned a long time ago.

Personally, I never liked that MGS game
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by cao(f): 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2018
khalhokage:
That's how exclusive licences work, it's the same reason the new Spiderman game is a PS4 exclusive while Rise of the Tomb Raider is Xbox one exclusive.

EA pays for exclusive licences and exclusive licences mean that no other publishers are allowed to use them, to cut a long story short, it's all about the money.
RoTR was a timed exclusive. Spider-Man is a different kettle of fish, Marvel actually approached Sony to make a Marvel game. Then Sony approached Insomniac, whom they have a rather close relationship with, even though they're not an exclusive first party dev for PlayStation. They agreed on Spidey.
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 5:26pm On Oct 13, 2018
Right, I didn't even see that... Rise of Tomb Raider was just released first on XBone
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2018
I'm still kinda undecided about FIFA 19 ...want to buy it because of higuain and Milan Sha...but the gameplay still sucks

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 6:00pm On Oct 13, 2018
I'm definitely getting PES 19. I wasn't very impressed with the gameplay of FIFA 18. The passes were too accurate and has like 50:50 luck/skill ratio.
I was playing with someone far below my skill level and it looked like I was the one learning. I lost 0:3. He was just acing shots from anywhere outside the 18 yard box with Suarez.

PES feels more rewarding. I played FIFA 18 because Konami were d!cks enough not to optimize the fvcking game for low-end PCs like mine. But if they consider us next year. I'm definitely getting it

BTW... Patches would definitely take care of Higuain and Milan

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by Thegamingorca(m): 6:10pm On Oct 13, 2018
You guys are trying.

Footie sucks
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 6:24pm On Oct 13, 2018
Thegamingorca:
You guys are trying.

Footie sucks

It does suck. But, Sport games are the only unserious game genre that exist. As gamers we play unserious games to take a break from serious games. Sport genre serves that purpose. I can eat while playing it. I can't eat while playing NFS or shooting games etc.

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by khalhokage(m): 7:00pm On Oct 13, 2018
cao:

RoTR was a timed exclusive. Spider-Man is a different kettle of fish, Marvel actually approached Sony to make a Marvel game. Then Sony approached Insomniac, whom they have a rather close relationship with, even though they're not an exclusive first party dev for PlayStation. They agreed on Spidey.

Yea I knew of that but I was looking for exclusives that were not from first party studios to use as examples and those were the two that came to mind.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LZAA: 10:49am On Oct 14, 2018
LucemFerre:

Konami chose to stay cheap despite having the better game for years
EA on the other hand knew their game was and still is crap so they invested on licenses and top graphics and increased their online presence
Plus their licenses are exclusive

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by LucemFerre: 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2018
Yea, I agree Konami fvcked up bad.
What do you expect from Japanese. If it's creating a game based on ridiculously big monsters they'd buy licences from God if they have to.

For we who are cursed with prioritizing gameplay over everything we are condemned to keep playing PES until FIFA or any other company forces their greedy asses to extinction.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by dtruseeker(m): 4:50pm On Oct 18, 2018
Now that there's no crack for FIFA 19. who does offline activation?
Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by GameGod(m): 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2018
tobianthony Thegamingorca khalhokage Lana1 khalhokage kodded LucemFerre what are you guys talking about huh

For us master race, sorry i mean PC gamers, all we have to do is to download the patch online for free and we good to go grin

Re: Why Can't Konami And EA Have Football Licences At The Same Time? by GameGod(m): 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2018
wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Highest Score In The Game "TEMPLE RUN"? / 10 Biggest Open-worlds In Video Game History / Confirmed News: Blue Gateway 3DS Card Can Work On 3DS V6.1.0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.