Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,909 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

"The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn (3260 Views)

Baddest Beef In Nigerian Hip-hop / Latest Nigerian Hip Hop / The Nigerian Hip Hop Star Hailed As The Next Big Thing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by PapaBrowne(m): 12:12am On Jul 15, 2010
Editor's note: Every week CNN's African Voices highlights Africa's most engaging personalities, exploring the lives and passions of people who rarely open themselves up to the camera. This week we profile Nigerian singer-songwriter Nneka Egbuna who has been heralded as music's next global star.

[size=13pt]The Nigerian Hip Hop Star Hailed As The Next Big Thing[/size]

(CNN) -- She may be small in stature, but the soulful voice of singer Nneka Egbuna is anything but.
It is no surprise that the petite Nigerian-born singer-songwriter lists Bob Marley and Nina Simone among her influences. Just as it was for them, Nneka's music "isn't just about the music" -- it's a call for change.
"It's to show the world that people come together for one reason -- in this case music. We are representing that love," Nneka told CNN.
Her music is a celebration of diversity. "We are all different in color, everybody has their own baggage, their own experience, but we have a way to communicate and this is the essence of this tour," she told CNN midway through her Concrete Jungle tour of the United States.

Nneka's musical profile has steadily risen since her 2005 debut album titled "Victim of Truth," -- which was listed as one of the records of the year by Timesonline.co.uk in 2006. In 2009, she won the Best African Act award at the UK's Music of Black Origin (MOBO) Awards.
Now on her fourth album, Nneka is garnering rave reviews from the likes of Rolling Stone and Billboard magazines, while Spin magazine described her as one of the artists to watch for 2010.
Earlier this year, she performed on the David Letterman show introducing her to a massive U.S. audience.
At times it is easy to mistake her cool and laidback attitude for shyness but get her talking about issues close to her heart and she emerges as a firecracker with a big heart and many passions.
Born to a Nigerian father and German mother, Nneka grew up in her hometown of Warri, Nigeria, before leaving at the age of 19 to study in Germany.

Those years away from home made her examine what it meant to be Nigerian. And in the process, she found herself.
"The period of time that I spent in Germany educated me a lot about being Nigerian. Before, I never really was that conscious of my surrounding, of our politics. I knew that there was something going on, but I never really felt responsible," said Nneka.
Today she is on a crusade to address issues affecting her people -- her haunting cry for peace and love for her motherland written all over her music.
Fans are familiar with the various themes of injustice and oppression that drive her music and performances.
"If you listen to my music, I do have a lot to do, issues that are very delicate to the Nigerian ear, talking about our politics at present, or the corruption, or the oil exploitation in the Niger Delta," said the singer who is from the troubled region.
Read more about the situation in the Niger Delta
Nneka equates her time away from Nigeria as a "personal pilgrimage," one which led her to an accidental musical career, something she admits she "slipped into."

"It used to be something I did as a kind of a therapy especially when I was living in Germany and never had anything to do with this part of my heritage," she said.
Getting to know a society with "a totally different mentality" forced her to discover her passion. "That is how music found me, or the other way round," she told CNN.
With her growing universal appeal, Nneka has now assumed the responsibility of a continent on her tiny shoulders.

"I see myself having a voice that would represent the people who do not have the courage to speak their minds or to allow the world outside to see and recognize what is happening within Nigeria, within Africa," she said.
However, she knows change isn't immediate but it is coming -- if we all play our part. "I see light," she says. "As long as we are part of the change that we want, then things will change."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/07/14/nneka.egbuna.music/index.html?hpt=C2&fbid=Z1QhhUY-_HD

Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by dominique(f): 7:18am On Jul 15, 2010
love her style but i doubt the average nigerian gets it. they prolly prefer club banging tunes that makes no sense than soulful music that carries a message.
she will run a comb through that hair one day. smiley
Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by canuck(m): 2:57pm On Jul 15, 2010
Didn't know of her until today's CNN headline screamed "Nneka is coming!" cheesy

Great music. Inspiring musician.
Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by audio: 3:28pm On Jul 15, 2010
I'm a big Nneka fan, but since when did she become HipHop for god's sake? It's like if you're black, then you're hip hop. She's more neo soul with a rock edge
Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by Genuflect(m): 12:53am On Jul 16, 2010
Yeah!! That's my binsh right there. Multi-talented l'Omo. You should see her drawings too
audio:

I'm a big Nneka fan, but since when did she become HipHop for god's sake? It's like if you're black, then you're hip hop. She's more neo soul with a rock edge
Dude, she also raps. Kinda like Lauryn Hill
Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by bouzymill(m): 7:54pm On Jul 17, 2010
audio:

it's not about being black, though prominent and entrenched in the Black culture. It's one way or the other, Neo-Soul is like a sister genre to Hip-Hop. Infact, Neo-Soul, according to some school of thought which i also believe, Neo-Soul is under the umbrella of the HipHop culture. Simple reason is they both took over from the Blues and Soul Music. While in rap, you take the written poetry and recite as they do, what they do in Neo-Soul is to make this poetry a sung verse. Also, they both take samples from the old soul and blues music as a technique for their music production; though not much in Neo-Soul as it is in Real HipHop. This is why you'ld see some HipHop producers producing Neo-Soul artists; producers like Madlib, Pete Rock, 9th Wonder, JDilla (R.I.P), Questlove and host of others. Notice their instrumentals sounding like HipHop beats.

You'ld see Lauryn Hill, Joss Stone, Angie Stone, Jill Scott, D'Angelo, Rapheal Sadiq, Leela James, Musiq Soulchild, etc. in the neo-soul category.
Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by SSaemoenl(m): 7:56pm On Jul 17, 2010
Very passionate SISI, Nneka Go! cheesy
Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by PapaBrowne(m): 7:25pm On Jul 18, 2010
Lovely Chic! Watched her on David Letterman and she represented 9ja wella!
Re: "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn by Mobinga: 9:46pm On Jul 18, 2010
lov her

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: Awilo Longomba Ft. Tiwa Savage – Esopi Yo [DOWNLOAD] / Is Ruggedman A Lyricist: What Is Lyricism / Download Patewo By Dayo Oyedun Music Sheet In PDF And Watch The Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.