Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,397 members, 7,812,166 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? (13321 Views)

Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering / Study Petrochemical Engineering Or Computer Science?which And Why / Thread For Mechanical Engineers... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Gauss15(m): 3:03am On Oct 17, 2018
I'd need a candid advice on this nairalanders. I'm a 300L mechanical engineering student but after my 200L, I noticed I was no more drawn to mechanical engineering as I'd have to do some courses I've no interest in.

So far, the only courses I've come to really like in mechanical engineering is mechanics, strength of material and machine designs. Reason being that I want to major in robotics.

I've had thoughts of switching to electrical and electronics engineering because of my interest in embedded systems. But, it'd take me back to 200l and I'd have to spend extra 2yrs in school. But I thought of borrowing some courses from Elect and then switching over to computer science as I've been into programming that it makes me drop my mechanical engineering's textbooks too often.

Because I had lost some money last year and my detachment from mechanical engineering, I had dropped from 1st class to 2.1 which stands at impeding my chance of getting a scholarship to further my studies in Robotics. I will not be able to come up to a first class unless I borrow tons of courses. Being that scholarships are highly competitive, I'm considering switching to computer science because it harbours my love for programming and electronics. I'm 25, and considering that I'd drop down to 200L as opposed to the 400l I'm heading towards, I was supposed to graduate by '20 but I'd be graduating by '21 if I change to computer science which is just a year difference. By then, I'd be 28.

Am I making the right choice? I really don't have the passion for mechanical again. I need some pieces of advice and possible outcomes of my decision.

4 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by MightySparrow: 4:30am On Oct 17, 2018
Remain in mech except you have lost interest. whatever makes you a good engineer makes you a good programmer even better than a degree in computer science. My opinion though

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by dwilliams707: 5:15am On Oct 17, 2018
I will tell you the truth..follow your heart sooner or later you’ll be done and that same thought will keep hunting you..I made the same terrible mistake through out my years in school,I loosed interest in what I was studying and thought so many times of changing but I was scared of adding 1 or 2 years..that thing is bull shit.i had other courses to switch to..I personally love computer science..one of the best all over the world now..it’s not a wrong decision.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Gauss15(m): 9:27am On Oct 17, 2018
Thanks @dwilliams707 and @mightysparrow. Thanks guys for the input.
I've completely lost interest in MechE except for two courses, mechanics of machines and machine designs. Which are the integral part of robotics and mostly the only courses needed in robotics from mechE.

I need more inputs guys. As this is currently affecting my studies this semester.

Lalasticlala, mynd44, fynesboi

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Mulatta(m): 10:09am On Oct 17, 2018
Try mechatronics

3 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Gauss15(m): 10:11am On Oct 17, 2018
Mulatta:
Try mechatronics

My school doesn't offer it.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Mulatta(m): 10:14am On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:

My school doesn't offer it.

What school
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Mulatta(m): 10:15am On Oct 17, 2018
Mulatta:

What school
If I was to recommend, I will recommend software development or mechanical engineering
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Gauss15(m): 10:17am On Oct 17, 2018
Mulatta:

What school

Giving out the name of the school would mostly reveal my identity...

I want advice which is mutually exclusive from the school I attend. It's a federal university.

5 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by chloride6: 10:31am On Oct 17, 2018
Guy,

If you love computer science study it as a side interest.

Job prospect for Mech Engineering are higher than Co sci in Nigeria.

Especially with our oil and gas industrry. You may or may not get a job in the oil and gas/manufacturing industry but i suggest you cross that bride when you get there.

Hope your grades are still in 2.1 range?

Very very important abeg.

A dont need a degree in co. sci to get a co. sci job, but no one will hire a co.sci to do the job of a mech engr.

You are not in the US, Apply Sense abeg.

11 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by sleekbae: 10:31am On Oct 17, 2018
Engineering
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Pilot4Airbus(m): 10:31am On Oct 17, 2018
Get 2 degrees cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by chrisifeanyi: 10:32am On Oct 17, 2018
Hmm
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Mistadora01(m): 10:34am On Oct 17, 2018
Farming Science
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by helphelp: 10:34am On Oct 17, 2018
Ask yourself, what age are we in now? Then, make a decision.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by tgmservice: 10:34am On Oct 17, 2018
g
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by femi4: 10:35am On Oct 17, 2018
Finish with mech and do professional courses in Computer/IT. That will give you more edge

15 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by dfrost: 10:35am On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:

Giving out the name of the school would mostly reveal my identity...

I want advice which is mutually exclusive from the school I attend. It's a federal university.

Federal University, Ekiti offers it.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Johnsown1(m): 10:35am On Oct 17, 2018
Forget about certificates bro, go for what gives you enjoy, certificates is a piece of written document while knowledge is power and who you are. Age is just a number is not a limitation, because i know of a 9 year old boy that writes ios and 30+ guy that studied computer science but he writes project and seminar as a profession.

8 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by madapcmod: 10:35am On Oct 17, 2018
Follow your heart. Drop year and get what you want. I stepped down from third yr to second year to enable me do Elect Engineering and I'm not regretting it

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by rozayx5(m): 10:36am On Oct 17, 2018
Computer science

Don't forget to learn a skill also

3 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by helphelp: 10:36am On Oct 17, 2018
Mulatta:
Try mechatronics

No be this course dem take scam person for one school for east. Mbanu
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by exclusivejayce(m): 10:36am On Oct 17, 2018
CS, but pray about it.
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by tetralogyfallot(m): 10:36am On Oct 17, 2018
Guy 2,1 in mechanical engineering is not a bad result at all. Hustle up n finish your mech eng bro.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 17, 2018
Just do what you have passion for. That's all I can say.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by maestroferdi: 10:37am On Oct 17, 2018
Funny...
Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by naijanative: 10:37am On Oct 17, 2018
Switch if it makes you happy ... make sure you don't lose interest again.

3 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by hope4nigeria(m): 10:37am On Oct 17, 2018
Gauss15:
I'd need a candid advice on this nairalanders. I'm a 300L mechanical engineering student but after my 200L, I noticed I was no more drawn to mechanical engineering as I'd have to do some courses I've no interest in.

So far, the only courses I've come to really like in mechanical engineering is mechanics, strength of material and machine designs. Reason being that I want to major in robotics.

I've had thoughts of switching to electrical and electronics engineering because of my interest in embedded systems. But, it'd take me back to 200l and I'd have to spend extra 2yrs in school. But I thought of borrowing some courses from Elect and then switching over to computer science as I've been into programming that it makes me drop my mechanical engineering's textbooks too often.

Because I had lost some money last year and my detachment from mechanical engineering, I had dropped from 1st class to 2.1 which stands at impeding my chance of getting a scholarship to further my studies in Robotics. I will not be able to come up to a first class unless I borrow tons of courses. Being that scholarships are highly competitive, I'm considering switching to computer science because it harbours my love for programming and electronics. I'm 25, and considering that I'd drop down to 200L as opposed to the 400l I'm heading towards, I was supposed to graduate by '20 but I'd be graduating by '21 if I change to computer science which is just a year difference. By then, I'd be 28.

Am I making the right choice? I really don't have the passion for mechanical again. I need some pieces of advice and possible outcomes of my decision.
Op tell us the truth, have you taken a mechanical engineering lecturer's girl? And you want to run? When ssce holder are becoming president without even the certificate, you're thinking of going 2yrs backward. Abeg shift make I think Big

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Gspotlicker(m): 10:38am On Oct 17, 2018
f
Gauss15:

never switch any shit to computer science besides programming is what you can learn in six months and apply for a certificate.. I am a programmer back then my tutor told me that learning computer science is a waste of time I remember him telling me when he graduated he knew nothing about programming (Nigerian universities are the worst to learn cs) search for a thread name my regretful bsc I won't want you to regret after wasting four years I won't say much so I stop here

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? by Jaytecq(m): 10:38am On Oct 17, 2018
My dear... CSE is bae

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Meet Your Heroes And Get Them To Partner With You In Career / What Will You Do If This Happens In Your Place Of Work? / ICAN Registrations Exemptions Exam Fees And Other Matters Arising

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.