Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. (2830 Views)

Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? / Good News! A Natural Way Out Of Emotional Impact Of Diabetes On Family / Akwa Ibom Girl Abandoned By Family And Left To Die, Rescued (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by JonnyConnection: 9:40am On Oct 17, 2018
Many of you are legitimately going to end up like your parents: waste the opportunity to built yourself a retirement safety net,and then preying on your children to "do well in life" not for their sake really, but because you want them to have enough to take care of you when you're old.

Many of your parents couldnt give you a better quality life AND cant take care of themselves without relying on your meager resources because they wasted the spoils of their youth taking care of siblings who today "face their front" and do not give a F about you and your problems.Take care of you family, take care of your parents. But remember, REMEMBER, mind the source FIRST. Be sure the water pump is primed with water always so it doesn't go dry.

Don't waste your youthful earning on "family" and be bitter at 70.

That's a sad way to live out your days.

For those of you who are dumb and will misconstrue this to mean, "don't do anything for people who did everything for you", go ahead and tear your panties.

You're welcome.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Agbaletu: 1:16pm On Oct 17, 2018
The message is loaded.
A lot of us are still making that mistake.
It is well.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Acidosis(m): 1:47pm On Oct 17, 2018
Strong points here
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by JonnyConnection: 7:56am On Oct 19, 2018
Agbaletu:
The message is loaded. A lot of us are still making that mistake. It is well.
Thanks
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by DaniDani(m): 8:59pm On Oct 19, 2018
Very straight to the point and apt.You are very correct.
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by CanadianNaija: 5:54am On Oct 20, 2018
Lol..watch them come for you.
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by JonnyConnection: 1:22pm On Oct 20, 2018
CanadianNaija:
Lol..watch them come for you.
Waiting
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Xcelinteriors(f): 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2018
Very very correct. Some won't even remember how you helped them in the future. My children first then I can think of any other person because they are the people i can confidently lean on at old age
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Acidosis(m): 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2018
Xcelinteriors:
Very very correct. Some won't even remember how you helped them in the future. My children first then I can think of any other person because they are the people i can confidently lean on at old age

Yourself first so that you can lean on yourself at old age.

16 Likes

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Xcelinteriors(f): 9:31pm On Oct 20, 2018
Acidosis:

Yourself first so that you can lean on yourself at old age.
They are my investment. Am investing heavily on them so that they can be my backbone tomorrow
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by twosquare(m): 9:59pm On Oct 20, 2018
In this century wey offspring no even send again...Don't rely even on your children. Truly the arm of flesh fails...
Xcelinteriors:

They are my investment. Am investing heavily on them so that they can be my backbone tomorrow

6 Likes

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by CanadianNaija: 10:05pm On Oct 20, 2018
Xcelinteriors:

You are the same problem that the Op is talking about.
Instead of investing in a retirement plan so that you are not a burden to them, you already have the mentality that they will be your retirement plan.

It’s your type that will always emotionally blackmail your children, reminding them of all your precious investments in them, forgetting that it's your duty as a parent to do so.

Make plans for your old age, let your children give you whatever they can because they want to, not because you depend on them for sustenance.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by biterkola: 11:42pm On Oct 20, 2018
Xcelinteriors:

angry grin grin cheesy
This is exactly what the OP is preaching against.Overdependence on children , becoming a burden to them in future because you 'invested' in them.

7 Likes

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Acidosis(m): 4:22am On Oct 21, 2018
Xcelinteriors:

I believe the above comments have already addressed this mentality, but let me add this;

Mother in law issues with DIL usually start with this mentality. Unfortunately women like you always repeat the same cycle they hate so much. You're investing in your son heavily so he can be your backbone tomorrow. That's already burdensome for the young man who has not only himself to cater for but his children and wife first (hope you don't have issues with your son placing his wife on a different or higher pedestal than you?)

That being said, the best gift you can give your children is to build your own dreams.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by izzou(m): 9:36am On Oct 21, 2018
Xcelinteriors:

Ladies and gentlemen

This is the person the Op was talking about

grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 21, 2018
Xcelinteriors:
chai. Already creating burden for the innocent boy smh
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Xcelinteriors(f): 1:02pm On Oct 21, 2018
yeyerolling:
chai. Already creating burden for the innocent boy smh
Which innocent boy are you creating burden for? You better read the message from the op before making a very stupid judgement. The op said you should not waste your earning on "family" and who are your family? He's talking about your siblings that will depend on you for everything just because you are nice and in the future they will abandon you and your children facing their own alone. If your prayer and the prayer of some fools quoting me is to have children that will abandon them at old age so shall it be for them. My prayer is my children will take care of me at old age as am taking care of them now. I have some investment on my own but that won't stop me from taking care of my kids and see they are very ok in future. I am proudly taking care of my parent now and I see it as my responsibility and not burden

1 Like

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by izzou(m): 1:14pm On Oct 21, 2018
Xcelinteriors:

Which innocent boy are you creating burden for? You better read the message from the op before making a very stupid judgement. The op said you should not waste your earning on "family" and who are your family? He's talking about your siblings that will depend on you for everything just because you are nice and in the future they will abandon you and your children facing their own alone. If your prayer and the prayer of some fools quoting me is to have children that will abandon them at old age so shall it be for them. My prayer is my children will take care of me at old age as am taking care of them now. I have some investment on my own but that won't stop me from taking care of my kids and see they are very ok in future. I am proudly taking care of my parent now and I see it as my responsibility and not burden

I don't see why you should call people fools because they do not agree with your opinion. Nobody is dragging that away from you. Stop being defensive

The op did not say you should not take care of your children. He only meant you should plan your life and your welfare outside of theirs. So that when you clock 70, you wouldnt have to depend on your children for your basic needs and welfare. Your investments, business and saving will carry you through. All he is saying is that we should plan our lives, so that whatever becomes of our children, you wouldn't have to suffer and beg and be miserable at the end.

You really do not have to act petty and call anyone a fool. We all learn by presenting constructive criticisms and not throwing insults

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Xcelinteriors(f): 1:21pm On Oct 21, 2018
izzou:

I don't see why you should call people fools because they do not agree with your opinion. Nobody is dragging that away from you. Stop being defensive

The op did not say you should not take care of your children. He only meant you should plan your life and your welfare outside of theirs. So that when you clock 70, you wouldnt have to depend on your children for your basic needs and welfare. Your investments, business and saving will carry you through. All he is saying is that we should plan our lives, so that whatever becomes of our children, you wouldn't have to suffer and beg and be miserable at the end.

You really do not have to act petty and call anyone a fool. We all learn by presenting constructive criticisms and not throwing insults
Oga if your prayer is your children to abandon you at old age, God will answer it but as for me, all my hustling are for my children, they are my source of Joy and I pray they take care of me at old age because I know God will bless them richly. Sorry for calling anyone fool

1 Like

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by izzou(m): 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2018
Xcelinteriors:

Oga if your prayer is your children to abandon you at old age, God will answer it but as for me, all my hustling are for my children, they are my source of Joy and I pray they take care of me at old age because I know God will bless them richly. Sorry for calling anyone fool

Lol

There are people who lost all their kids in an accident. There are people who their own children are still struggling even after their parents have invested in them. There are people who their children hate so much, courtesy of what Pastors, Daddies, GO and Prophets told their kids about them. Do you think these people do not know God? Or they didn't pray to God as you are doing?

Like the op said, he did not say you should not take care of your kids. He only advised that you should make plans for yourself even as they grow up. I don't see anything wrong in that

Anyways, it's good to hold on to your understanding. Everyone is entitled to that.

Happy Sunday

13 Likes

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by SMJay: 4:06pm On Nov 01, 2018
Hi there! Are you a single parent and like to join a support group as well as some insights into this situation – with the aim of helping other people who might be in the same situation? Call Ada +234 811 048 7611 OR Call https:///C1AfWblMpZ756UO004fAFw
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by lavylilly: 9:26am On Jul 29, 2021
Na wao
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by lavylilly: 11:15am On Jul 29, 2021
Agbaletu:
The message is loaded.
A lot of us are still making that mistake.
It is well.
very loaded
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by LauraClasikVibe(f): 3:31pm On Jul 29, 2021
wink
JonnyConnection:
Many of you are legitimately going to end up like your parents: waste the opportunity to built yourself a retirement safety net,and then preying on your children to "do well in life" not for their sake really, but because you want them to have enough to take care of you when you're old.

Many of your parents couldnt give you a better quality life AND cant take care of themselves without relying on your meager resources because they wasted the spoils of their youth taking care of siblings who today "face their front" and do not give a F about you and your problems.Take care of you family, take care of your parents. But remember, REMEMBER, mind the source FIRST. Be sure the water pump is primed with water always so it doesn't go dry.

For those of you who are dumb and will misconstrue this to mean, "don't do anything for people who did everything for you", go ahead and tear your panties.

You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 30, 2021
JonnyConnection:

For those of you who are dumb and will misconstrue this to mean, "don't do anything for people who did everything for you", go ahead and tear your panties

You're welcome.

100% correct. Wish I could give 1000 upvotes. I try to help out occasionally but will never be a source of income for lazy relatives.
I don't support laziness.

1 Like

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Divoc19(f): 7:50am On Jul 30, 2021
I don't know why a lot of Africans seem to ignore the importance of having a Retirement Plan for their old age, people are even advancing to having death plan. Only a few rich people do these things... that is why there is always commotion during/doing burial arrangements in our society.

I think our religious centers have infiltrated the whole idea of "I will not die" and "I my generation shall never be poor" mentality into us that we don't care about reality of life/ nature anymore. Untill it starts haunting us like OP said.

JonnyConnection:
You're welcome.
Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Klass99(f): 8:55am On Jul 30, 2021
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by jahsharon: 9:03am On Jul 30, 2021
My children go to the best private school in my Local Government here in Lagos. But, I am at the same time developing myself. As I am paying for my children's school fees, I am also paying my second Master's school fees and also planning for my retirement. As for extended family and relatives, I don't know them. My parents jointly took care of us without any family support, so others too should take care of their children.

My parents are not a burden to me, my father still gave me money several times during the lock down, so I too will never need anything from my children at my old age.

3 Likes

Re: Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70. by Karleb(m): 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2021
jahsharon:
My children go to the best private school in my Local Government here in Lagos. But, I am at the same time developing myself. As I am paying for my children's school fees, I am also paying my second Master's school fees and also planning for my retirement. As for extended family and relatives, I don't know them. My parents jointly took care of us without any family support, so others too should take care of their children.

My parents are not a burden to me, my father still gave me money several times during the lock down, so I too will never need anything from my children at my old age.

Nothing wrong with helping your siblings out or needing something from your children at old age so long you don't make them your retirement plans.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get A Wrinkle-free Skin With These Lovely Home Remedies / Best punitive measure for a child / How Much Sex Should You Be Having?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.