Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,355 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation (8498 Views)

Virginity Testing -what, Where And Methods Of Virginity Testing / UN Finally Offers Position On 'virginity Testing'(for Virgins Only) / Say No To Virginity Testing’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by G1STMORE: 5:35am On Oct 18, 2018
A group of United Nations (UN) agencies has issued a joint statement calling for a ban on tests meant to assess the virginity of a girl or a woman.

The statement, issued during the World Congress of Gynaecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) in Rio de Janeiro, stressed that such tests were both unscientific, and a violation of human rights.

The UN agencies are: the UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR), UN Women and the World Health Organisation (WHO).

“So-called ‘virginity testing’ – also often referred to as hymen, ‘two-finger’ or per vaginal examination – is a gynecological inspection of female Instruments carried out in the false belief that it can reliably determine whether a woman or girl has had vaginal intercourse,” the group said.

In a global call to eliminate violence against women and girls everywhere, the UN agencies said that “this medically unnecessary, and often times painful, humiliating and traumatic practice must end”.

The practice is a long-standing tradition documented in at least 20 countries, spanning all regions of the world.

Women and girls are often forced to undergo virginity testing for various reasons, including requests from parents or potential partners to establish marriage eligibility or even from potential employers.

It is mostly performed by doctors, police officers, or community leaders on women and girls, in order to assess their virtue, honour or social value.

In their statement, the UN agencies explained that the practice has “no scientific or clinical basis” and that “there is no examination that can prove a girl or woman has had sex”.

The agencies added that the “appearance of girl’s or woman’s hymen cannot prove whether they have had sexual intercourse or are sexually active or not”.

In addition, the UN agencies denounced virginity testing as a violation of the rights of girls and women, which can be detrimental to their physical, psychological and social well-being.

The examination can be “painful, humiliating and traumatic” and reinforces stereotyped notions of female sexuality and gender inequality.

In some regions, it is common for health professionals to perform virginity testing on victims of rape, supposedly to ascertain whether or not rape occurred, they said.

Given the lack of clinical basis, the procedure is deemed “unnecessary” and “can cause pain and mimic the original act of sexual violence, exacerbating survivors’ sense of disempowerment and cause re-victimisation,” the agencies said.

“The result of this unscientific test can impact upon judicial proceedings, often to the detriment of victims and in favour of perpetrators, sometimes resulting in perpetrators being acquitted.

“Given that these procedures are unnecessary and potentially harmful, it is unethical for doctors or other health providers to undertake them.

“Such procedures must never be carried out,” the joint statement read, calling for a collaborative response across societies, supported by the public health community and all health professionals.

Dr Princess Simelela, WHO’s Assistant Director-General for Family, Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health, said: “Health professionals can be great agents for change”.

“With support from health systems and governments, they can recognise that ‘virginity testing’ has no medical or clinical bases, refuse to carry out the harmful practice, and educate the public about this,” Simelela noted.

The WHO official added that, in doing so, they would be “upholding the Hippocratic oath of ‘do no harm’ and safeguarding the human rights of girls and women in their care”.

News via Gistmore :: http://gistmore.com/un-describes-virginity-testing-human-rights-violation

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by G1STMORE: 5:35am On Oct 18, 2018

1 Share

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Kingosytex(m): 5:55am On Oct 18, 2018
testing of virginity? i don't buy that idea, it should be discarded by wherever its been practiced.

i quite agree with the UN that its a violation of human rights

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by inoki247: 9:43am On Oct 18, 2018
that's why been a guy is bae the test no dey work for Male...

4 Likes

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by sinbadd: 9:43am On Oct 18, 2018
Huh shocked shocked shocked
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by tropaz(m): 9:43am On Oct 18, 2018
Most naija babes found way around virginity test a long tym ago...

Hint; give the doctor a free kpekus and he will confirm you 100% virgin...even though it's a long commissioned express way.

Naija, I hail thee!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by DonFreshmoney(m): 9:43am On Oct 18, 2018
Mtcheeew.. how I wan know if my wife be virgin? No be to test am virginically

3 Likes

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Bawizzo(m): 9:44am On Oct 18, 2018
Not in nigeria, pls!
Some of our naija sisters were birthed without hymen as certified olo......i didn't say nofyn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by opyzy(m): 9:44am On Oct 18, 2018
I agree with the UN 100%, this bullshiiit must end especially in Africa, it is humiliating and dehumanizing.
There are other pressing issues in the continent other than chuku chuku girls privates in the name of virginity test angry

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by scopusng(m): 9:44am On Oct 18, 2018
Noted. Buhari is a terrorist and a goat

5 Likes

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Shehunoshewhat: 9:45am On Oct 18, 2018
Ok
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by SarakiBukola: 9:45am On Oct 18, 2018
I usually test with my......

Hope i have not violated any human rights, United Nations? shocked

3 Likes

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Cocao(f): 9:46am On Oct 18, 2018
Yes please.

Virginity sometimes is overrated please.

Just saying.
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 18, 2018
Is this targeted at parents...? Cos I see nothing wrong with a parent trying to be sure a girl child has not been abused....Cos lota of girls don't like to talk when they are raped cos of the stigma some underaged girls don't even know the meaning of what happened to them cos they are too young....And many parent have been able to get justice just becos they randomly check their minors.....

Other than this......Who does virvinity test?.....This people can lie ..Which employer ask for virginity test

Boys for street no care...Who want to waste time removing gate ...It's not even fun...

4 Likes

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Justseyii: 9:48am On Oct 18, 2018
They have a point, or not??
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Sweetcollins: 9:48am On Oct 18, 2018
Where them dey check am

1 Like

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by breakeven: 9:52am On Oct 18, 2018
All this trash only happen in Africa. Traditions that have dragged the continent back for centuries. The rest of the world are thinking of going beyond the moon. Ours is to test virginity. Smh.
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 18, 2018
Tell AFRICANS

1 Like

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Chineke1stSon: 10:00am On Oct 18, 2018
breakeven:
All this trash only happen in Africa. Traditions that have dragged the continent back for centuries. The rest of the world are thinking of going beyond the moon. Ours is to test virginity. Smh.
Africa is not backward because of tradition..Africans are not more traditional than the Chinese or the Japanese or even Indians..but these people are making rapid developments on all spheres of life..Africa is backward because of the lack of quality education, poverty and the mismanagement of resources..there are European countries with very bizarre traditions and that has not hampered their growth..

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 18, 2018
finally!!!

I always cringe when I hear that parents test their children for virginity. I never understood it, neither did I find it funny.

parents like to see themselves as God, controlling every aspect of a child's life. if God wants to monitor us the way parents do ehn, you would be afraid to cough.

please let this stop!! I even heard they use a full blown egg to test. wtf!!! a girl's private parts is hers and she can do whatever she wants to do with it. Train your children well and leave the rest!

6 Likes

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 18, 2018
Chineke1stSon:

Africa is not backward because of tradition..Africans are not more traditional than the Chinese or the Japanese or even Indians..but these people are making rapid developments on all spheres of life..Africa is backward because of the lack of quality education, poverty and the mismanagement of resources..there are European countries with very bizarre traditions and that has not hampered their growth..
oh please!! even the European and Americans have traditions. we all do. while theirs is progressive, ours is backward, irritating, breaching on dehumanizing and pure witch craft. I agree with you that we have other problems but our traditions are still dehumanizing..

1 Like

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by thedio(m): 10:08am On Oct 18, 2018
Cocao:
Yes please.

Just saying.

Tell ur daughter

1 Like

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 18, 2018
UN should educate Nigeria Islamic federation about this. Where is Buhari and his gangs
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by xpmode(m): 10:23am On Oct 18, 2018
breakeven:

No wonder you are backward. OP quoted Brazil as a case study, you are thinking of Africa. Am so sure you have not created anything

2 Likes

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by omoelerin1: 10:24am On Oct 18, 2018
breakeven:
Mr man, Fi ara buruku bale. Where did you read that the message is directed at Africa? Is this all about a particular continent or region?
How many places in Africa have you been to? How many of such experience have you personally witnessed in those place?
Why you people like spewing rubbish? If you don't have something sensible to say, you better keep shut.

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by holyfather(m): 10:25am On Oct 18, 2018
HannahHitler:
oh please!! even the European and Americans have traditions. we all do. while theirs is progressive, ours is backward, irritating, breaching on dehumanizing and pure witch craft. I agree with you that we have other problems but our traditions are still dehumanizing..
Pray tell, what are the american traditions that are 'progressive' and those of africa that are not?

1 Like

Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 18, 2018
Cocao:
Yes please.

Just saying.

So why do u ladies lie about it?
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Etizz: 10:40am On Oct 18, 2018
Lol....thats how she closed legs seriously tight just because her dad takes her for check up every 3 months.......

I don't support it sha oh, but it keeps little fear on dem virgin Girls....... So they don't burst it prematurely
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by Timekeeper: 10:54am On Oct 18, 2018
Cocao:
Yes please.
Just saying.
Lagos Ibadan I hail u ma
Re: UN Describes ‘virginity Testing’ As Human Rights Violation by marvinsync(m): 11:39am On Oct 18, 2018
G1STMORE:
A group of United Nations (UN) agencies has issued a joint statement calling for a ban on tests meant to assess the virginity of a girl or a woman.

The statement, issued during the World Congress of Gynaecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) in Rio de Janeiro, stressed that such tests were both unscientific, and a violation of human rights.

The UN agencies are: the UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR), UN Women and the World Health Organisation (WHO).

“So-called ‘virginity testing’ – also often referred to as hymen, ‘two-finger’ or per vaginal examination – is a gynecological inspection of female Instruments carried out in the false belief that it can reliably determine whether a woman or girl has had vaginal intercourse,” the group said.

In a global call to eliminate violence against women and girls everywhere, the UN agencies said that “this medically unnecessary, and often times painful, humiliating and traumatic practice must end”.

The practice is a long-standing tradition documented in at least 20 countries, spanning all regions of the world.

Women and girls are often forced to undergo virginity testing for various reasons, including requests from parents or potential partners to establish marriage eligibility or even from potential employers.

It is mostly performed by doctors, police officers, or community leaders on women and girls, in order to assess their virtue, honour or social value.

In their statement, the UN agencies explained that the practice has “no scientific or clinical basis” and that “there is no examination that can prove a girl or woman has had sex”.

The agencies added that the “appearance of girl’s or woman’s hymen cannot prove whether they have had sexual intercourse or are sexually active or not”.

In addition, the UN agencies denounced virginity testing as a violation of the rights of girls and women, which can be detrimental to their physical, psychological and social well-being.

The examination can be “painful, humiliating and traumatic” and reinforces stereotyped notions of female sexuality and gender inequality.

In some regions, it is common for health professionals to perform virginity testing on victims of rape, supposedly to ascertain whether or not rape occurred, they said.

Given the lack of clinical basis, the procedure is deemed “unnecessary” and “can cause pain and mimic the original act of sexual violence, exacerbating survivors’ sense of disempowerment and cause re-victimisation,” the agencies said.

“The result of this unscientific test can impact upon judicial proceedings, often to the detriment of victims and in favour of perpetrators, sometimes resulting in perpetrators being acquitted.

“Given that these procedures are unnecessary and potentially harmful, it is unethical for doctors or other health providers to undertake them.

“Such procedures must never be carried out,” the joint statement read, calling for a collaborative response across societies, supported by the public health community and all health professionals.

Dr Princess Simelela, WHO’s Assistant Director-General for Family, Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health, said: “Health professionals can be great agents for change”.

“With support from health systems and governments, they can recognise that ‘virginity testing’ has no medical or clinical bases, refuse to carry out the harmful practice, and educate the public about this,” Simelela noted.

The WHO official added that, in doing so, they would be “upholding the Hippocratic oath of ‘do no harm’ and safeguarding the human rights of girls and women in their care”.

News via Gistmore :: http://gistmore.com/un-describes-virginity-testing-human-rights-violation

there is no problem with checking virginity
as long as it's not compulsory ( as In they are not forced to ) , it's not painful (they ensure their patients don't experience harm) and long as the test is accurate .

I hate when the UN or ( calling it as it is) the west , try to change people beliefs and systems to match theirs because they feel that they are the only ones that are correct

I'm some cultures women should be virgins before marriage, and they create systems to confirm the virginity , it's their culture ! the UN should mind their fvcking business !

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

NCDC Launches Campaign ‘6232’ / Can I Take Anti Biotic While On Anti Malaria / How To Beat Diabetes Even If You've Been Managing It For Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.