Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? (14177 Views)

If You Don't Want People To Disrespect You, Stop Doing These 10 Things (Opinion) / Name One Thing You Are Addicted To, Someone May Help You Out / What Are You Addicted To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Sucuidalthought: 2:40am On Oct 19, 2018
I really need ur advices, coz i am thinking of taking my life my self if I can't get over this stuff by 5pm today...

I am a student of a public university in Nigeria,
300l economics,
I am addicted to gambling (bet9ja virtual to be precise), I have tried many times to stop this stuff but it is not working out, and is putting me into debts...

I just need ur advices coz I am fed up with life because of this virtual...

I know taking my life is not the best answer but at least, is gonna to save me from seeing the disgrace I have brought to my self and parents...

Fenks in anticipation..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by maturemindsonly(m): 9:47am On Oct 19, 2018
Don't take your life, I know you're playing bet9javirtual to make money, let's say to feed at least.. I'll advice you quit virtual, and stick to normal match system, you could make a fortune from it one day(if you'll eventually make it from.it sha) quit virtual.. I gamble too.. Lost MILLIONS on virtual too .. All in all.. If it gambling doesn't favour you.. Then quit it.. Make up your mind to quit, when you're determined to quit, you'll quit !!! Engage in other activities that'll take your time

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 19, 2018
sad who is this fool You even had to create a sympathetic moniker so probably people can PM you to render financial assistance so you won't kill yourself. Did bet9ja place a gun to your head that you must gamble by force? Haven't you heard of responsible Gaming You are not really addicted as you make it seem cos if truly you would have sold your phone to stake on virtuals and have no means to create this nonsense thread sad

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by BedLam: 10:46am On Oct 19, 2018
You won't quit if you don't reduce your zest for football. Stay away from football. Start doing other productive things on match days. Don't go to where they watch matches. Track your development and see of you are making progress. In the end you will realize you are wasting your youthful life on something that has no value for you; football. You will argue with me that it is an entertainment for you but it is killing you already. There are other things to entertain yourself with. Go and read. Sign up to Quora and medium.com.
Lastly, your peers, change them if they are a pressure to you.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:46am On Oct 19, 2018
When I was in university for my first degree, the knowledge that my sole responsibility was studying hard and that the time to work and make money would come obviated me from betting.

There is time for everything. You are in school and you need to read, not bet.

12 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by millionboi2: 10:46am On Oct 19, 2018
Consult ur village ppl.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Jaytecq(m): 10:46am On Oct 19, 2018
A man told me: "Anything you don't have power over or you can't stop is SPIRITUAL"
Those words have helped me and those i talked too about addiction.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 19, 2018
Sucuidalthought:
I really need ur advices, coz i am thinking of taking my life my self if I can't get over this stuff by 5pm today...

First tell yourself the truth:

What is the habit doing for you right now?

Because unless your priorities change, the cycle will keep repeating itself

You are so valuable so reject the thought of ending it all.

Be open with your creditors. Owing money isn't the unpardonable sin.

Talk to someone your parents respect, maybe an uncle or a priest. Appeal to them for help and understanding. Don't be afraid of any harsh words they may speak.

Don't give up. This is just a chapter in your story.

How do you want the next chapter to be?

It starts with choosing new priorities...

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by sammy4life2(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2018
Please help a brother in need some of us are in the same shoes right now

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by damifrost: 10:47am On Oct 19, 2018
by smoking weed ;Dby smoking weed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 19, 2018
I'm addicted to wanting to make more money grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Kingsley1000(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2018
If it's mastubation,quit visiting www.xvideos.com

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by osemoses1234(m): 10:48am On Oct 19, 2018
Two up two down goal goal if you know you know play me big

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by N0favors: 10:48am On Oct 19, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by AwesomeDuru(m): 10:48am On Oct 19, 2018
Virtual is a life ruiner. Until you quit, you'll never know what freedom tastes like.
Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 19, 2018
Simply find another addiction to take its place this time something more productive like reading, exercise and the rest..

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 19, 2018
As you are a student, I want to recommend a book for you to read.

The power of Habits by Charles Duhigg

It will help you a lot. You can download the PDF format on pdfdrive.net.
Save yourself with just 2mb

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by maklelemakukula(m): 10:49am On Oct 19, 2018
Addictions can hardly be created or destroyed but can easily be changed from one form to another.
That said, search meaningfully for another positive addition.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 19, 2018
The mind want pleasure, Addiction to gambling is giving the mind pleasure at your own detrimental effect but In the real sense you are actually addicted to making money at all cost, which has turn to a desire, and since your mind has think the easier way to make that money Is thought betting, it won't allow you to rest.. because of the extreme desire to make money,,,

The solution is Stop trying to making more money for now,, later you can convince your mind to look at other easy way to make money

Everyone want Money !!! Look for the best way to make , Don't hurt yourself, it normal

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by AwesomeDuru(m): 10:50am On Oct 19, 2018
Kingsley1000:
If it's mastubation,quit visiting www.xvideos.com
This is pure evil grin

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by qanda: 10:50am On Oct 19, 2018
Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by maticdamian(m): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2018
Am addicted to pussy...
Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Doerstech(m): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2018
Hmmmmm
Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by Kingsley1000(m): 10:53am On Oct 19, 2018
You can't stop it,just limit how often you play it.let's say,budget 500monthly for betting and dont exceed it...i have lost more than 400k in sports betting

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by modernWays: 10:54am On Oct 19, 2018
I laughed when i see people saying they cant stop something they were addicted to. True of the matter is that, humans tend to continue doing a particular thing as long as they still have the resources, will or chances to do it.

Nothing can help you until you start having a lot of responsibilities, gone broke and have no other means to borrow or steal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop Something You Are Addicted To? by IamAlexander: 10:54am On Oct 19, 2018
OP, I understand your concern and share your plight. Regardless of whatever the circumstance might be please suicide is not and never optional.

I congratulate you because you have broken the addiction by 50% for coming out to seek for helpful advise...good one!

However, for the remaining solution it will depend on your Mind..

Addiction is a thing of the mind. Please note that your freedom won't be easy but IF you are determined and make up your mind you will win the battle.

The practical steps to take are;

Ask yourself why am I into gambling? I know the primary reason why most people indulge in gambling is for financial freedom... Hear me, no freedom comes from gambling but rather bondage, depression, anger, poverty and penury. It's a pure lie that you can make it from gambling... Never! Rather you bring upon yourself pain, agony, sleepness night, debt-ridden life and loss of self value. You need to absorb this fact and change your mindset...

Live within your means... Forget all this flashy lifestyle of young ones this days all in the quest of showing off...it's all fake and will soon go away with the wind because it's never through genuine hardwork the money was made...Also, discourage yourself from borrowing. Debt is bad! Anytime you borrow you become a slave to the creditor.

Check your spending habit... What consumes your money, is it productive? Does it add value to your life? Are you the type that earns N100 and spend N120? This habit must stop.

Make access to money difficult-- only hold the cash you need at a time. You can form the habit of keeping your money--idle or unused funds in an account without Atm card or internet banking making it difficult for you to access. This is to control the urge to withdraw and use it on gambling.

Disconnect from friends that always encourage or sees nothing evil in gambling. They want to ruin your life.

Resist family or peer pressure... Stay in your lane. Learn to say NO to family demands or matching up with friends... Don't compare yourself with anyone. You are unique. Run your own race. The sky is big enough for birds to fly.

Seek divine help--lastly, I will advise you also pray whilst you put the above steps into action.

My one cent.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Smoking Zones In Japan.(Picture) / What Is Your Favourite Wise Words? / What Are The Lessons 2018 Taught You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.