Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,823 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women (40599 Views)

How Nigerian Women's Hairstyles Have Evolved Overtime / Foreign Second Hand Clothes Or New Nigerian Made Clothes. Which Do You Prefer? / Riyadhgoddess Nairaland Okrika Store (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Gossipninja: 9:12pm On Oct 19, 2018
Some Nigerian women interviewed in Umuahia, the Abia state capital recently, have revealed why they prefer to buy faily-used underwears, also known as 'Okirika'.

The business of fairly-used female underwear now enjoy high patronage among the womenfolk in Umuahia, Abia, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

The dealers of the materials locally called “okrika’’, are also recording high traffic of customers daily from neighbouring communities to the state capital.

Some of the women, mainly middle-aged, who shoved themselves around to enable them pick their choice of the underwear at Isi Gate Market, Umuahia, told NAN that they preferred the “okrika’’, especially pants, to new ones.

One of them, who made selections of different colours and designs, said she and most women now preferred the fairly-used underwear often imported from abroad.

Asked if she was not ashamed being seen buying the materials, the lady who pleaded anonymity, queried why she should be ashamed of her choice of underwear.

“Ashamed of what? Ashamed of something good? Ask this seller, l am her very good customer. As a matter of fact, she always alerts me whenever she has new consignment. The fairly-used underwear is durable.

“I don’t just buy them because they are cheap, but because they are of good quality.

“I usually buy the sexy ones and I feel very comfortable whenever I wear it. My husband usually tells me they are good on me, too,” she said.

A male passer-by, who spoke to NAN on the issue, on condition of anonymity, attributed the high patronage of the second-hand pants and other briefs to the nation’s bad economy.

“It is not only underwear that our women scramble for, they buy all sorts of fairly used wears. Anytime I pass this place I see them gather round the sellers, picking all manner of used clothes.

“I think this goes a long way to tell how bad our economy is. Nigeria is a dumping ground for all kinds of used products from America, Europe, Asia and other continents”.

But, a lady, who gave her name as Mary, said she did not like the idea of using fairly-used underwear. “I personally don’t like it. I don’t like the ones I saw.

“In fact, I don’t like it for health reasons. One is capable of contracting an infection through this. This is underwear, not outer wears.

“I don’t even know the health status of the person that wore it before now. The body of a woman is very exposed.

“So, why should I buy disease for myself just because I want cheap or so-called quality underwear; I prefer new ones for health reasons,” she said.

In her reaction, one of the sellers of the second-hand pants, dismissed the health hazard fear, saying that the new ones had more health risk “because of the chemicals applied on them’’.

She said: “Okrika (fairly-used) pants are durable and their prices are affordable, too. They don’t have any health risk provided they are soaked and washed in hot water.

“By the way, it is not all that are fairly-used. Those ones that have labels on them are not fairly-used, they are clearance sales (clothes that are out of season).’’
She said that she made a living from the sales as she enjoyed high patronage from women. “This is the only business that I do. I know how much profit I make daily,” she stated.

However, Dr Ifeyinwa Uma-Kalu, Principal Medical Officer I at the Abia Government House Clinic, said that fairly-used underwear could have dangerous health implications, if not properly treated.

According to her, if the underwear has been used by people that are ill, people that have one skin infection or the other and the buyer doesn’t treat it well, it could be a medium to contact infection.

“Common ones among them are fungi infections. So, a lady can be affected with a fungi infection called genital warts. It is advisable to treat the underwear properly, either with hot water or disinfectants, before use,” she said.

More.below:

https://zenithnaija.com/why-we-prefer-okrika-underwears-nigerian-women/

1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Betakeshi: 9:15pm On Oct 19, 2018
grin

2 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by NwaAmaikpe: 9:26pm On Oct 19, 2018
shocked

There's not one girl... I mean not one girl in all of Nigeria who has never worn okirika.

I stand to be corrected.

165 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by aristocrazzy: 9:27pm On Oct 19, 2018
That guy nailed it, obviously nobody would want to buy fairly used stuffs when they have the cash to buy it brand new.
Anyways, it's important to wash it thoroughly before use.. Guys are also included since na OK boxers dey streets..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Memphis357(m): 9:27pm On Oct 19, 2018
*In Julius Agu's voice*.....
You mustu bend down select ooooooooo!!!

20 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by itiswellandwell: 9:27pm On Oct 19, 2018
Economy purchasing sense.

Very cheap 64gb s6 edge. Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Nwodosis(m): 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2018
Durable? How long does a lady intend to use a pant for her to talk of the durability?

21 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by OBoy50: 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2018
sad
Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by MumZee1010(f): 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2018
Bend down
Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by SingleWahala(f): 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2018
grin...... We dey look for the Oyinbo Woman we wear dis wan angry angry angry

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by hahn(m): 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2018
Summary: ....because it is cheap grin

2 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2018
cheesy

A poor man once said that buying an expensive car is vanity.

If you no get money, hide your face manage ok then upgrade when there is money.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2018
When will our cotton start being productive and our hands making clothes of our desire?

Of course we are underutilizing the population strength of this Country!!

Help Us God!!!

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Primusinterpares(m): 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2018
From this side we call it Gbonjo

1 Like

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by BIAFRONIGERIAN(m): 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2018
How they wear this cheap things and deceive us men remains a mystery scientists cannot fully explain

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by inoki247: 9:30pm On Oct 19, 2018
Okirika az bin saving life since 1900bc even if u go PEP store na Okirika dem dey sell no b everybody get data to buy from Amazon

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Ayoswit(f): 9:30pm On Oct 19, 2018
okrika underwears are durable.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by maestroferdi: 9:30pm On Oct 19, 2018
Which kind of nonsense is this?

Why Umuahia?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by oshe111(m): 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
The number of poor people living in Nigeria is more than the population of other west african countries combined

14 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by duduade: 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

There's not one girl... I mean not one girl in all of Nigeria who has never won okirika.

I stand to be corrected.

And there s not one guy in the whole of Nigeria who has never worn okrika boxers and jeans

I stand to be corrected

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by porshnuel: 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
Isi gate umuahia nd okirika be lyk
apc nd propaganda.....those hu have obidently aticulated should hit like nd share

3 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by JailBreaker(m): 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
wondafu

Study in London for Free - Newcastle University Fullfunded International Student Scholarship

Apply Now: http://studydegreehq..com/2018/09/newcastle-university-vcgs-scholarships.html
Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by SirLakes: 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
Okirika babes everywhere dey form nonsense

1 Like

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
Why did Buhari prefer 1984 agenda?

1 Like

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Yankiss(m): 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
The idea doesnt sound hygienic. But this is Nigeria. What do I know? The economy is quite bad! angry
Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
They'll wear okirika undies and still be forming slayqueens on Instagram.

Runs outgrin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by rapwide(m): 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by oshe111(m): 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
There is a difference btw "Okrika" and UK use

2 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by Butoneday2(m): 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
Where are the ladies nau they shuld come and defend them sef. They say na mumu dey go boutique. shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by oyetunder(m): 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
lipsrsealed No need for explanations...we know the styles of our ladies. They are even ready to marry a white octogenarian with a rotten banana not to talk of third hand pants.
Re: Why We Prefer Okrika Underwears - Nigerian Women by pocohantas(f): 9:33pm On Oct 19, 2018
I don't do okirika underwears.
Never liked the idea...

Some are really ugly and cheap, but surprisingly I have seen expensive okirika pants. They were mostly designers that would sell at a more expensive rate as brand new. Made me wonder why anyone would buy an expensive Fairly used pant, just because it is a known brand.

I buy okirika clothes till now.
Bought one yesterday sef grin

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Types Of Nigerian Make Up Artists We All Know. (with Funny Meme) / Fallacy About Acne(pimples) / Wholesale n Retail Shoes (kids, Adult- Female N Male)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.