Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,349 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Dan Barker's Easter Challenge - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dan Barker's Easter Challenge (1598 Views)

Little Kids Talked About Easter (video) / One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. / Why Do More Muslims Converts To Christains More Dan Muslims Becoming Christains?just Wondering! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by KAG: 3:20am On Apr 08, 2007
I HAVE AN EASTER challenge for Christians. My challenge is simply this: tell me what happened on Easter. I am not asking for proof. My straightforward request is merely that Christians tell me exactly what happened on the day that their most important doctrine was born.

The conditions of the challenge are simple and reasonable. In each of the four Gospels, begin at Easter morning and read to the end of the book: Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20-21. Also read Acts 1:3-12 and Paul's tiny version of the story in I Corinthians 15:3-8. These 165 verses can be read in a few moments. Then, without omitting a single detail from these separate accounts, write a simple, chronological narrative of the events between the resurrection and the ascension: what happened first, second, and so on; who said what, when; and where these things happened.

Since the gospels do not always give precise times of day, it is permissible to make educated guesses. The narrative does not have to pretend to present a perfect picture--it only needs to give at least one plausible account of all of the facts. Additional explanation of the narrative may be set apart in parentheses. The important condition to the challenge, however, is that not one single biblical detail be omitted. Fair enough?

http://ffrf.org/books/lfif/?t=stone
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by monshege: 4:06am On Apr 08, 2007
what are yu trying to prove?

whats your point?
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by KAG: 2:00pm On Apr 08, 2007
monshege:

what are yu trying to prove?

whats your point?

Me? Nothing. Nothing at all.
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by Nobody: 3:26pm On Apr 08, 2007
KAG:

I HAVE AN EASTER challenge for Christians. My challenge is simply this: tell me what happened on Easter. I am not asking for proof. My straightforward request is merely that Christians tell me exactly what happened on the day that their most important doctrine was born.

The conditions of the challenge are simple and reasonable. In each of the four Gospels, begin at Easter morning and read to the end of the book: Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20-21. Also read Acts 1:3-12 and Paul's tiny version of the story in I Corinthians 15:3-8. These 165 verses can be read in a few moments. Then, without omitting a single detail from these separate accounts, write a simple, chronological narrative of the events between the resurrection and the ascension: what happened first, second, and so on; who said what, when; and where these things happened.

Since the gospels do not always give precise times of day, it is permissible to make educated guesses. The narrative does not have to pretend to present a perfect picture--it only needs to give at least one plausible account of all of the facts. Additional explanation of the narrative may be set apart in parentheses. The important condition to the challenge, however, is that not one single biblical detail be omitted. Fair enough?

http://ffrf.org/books/lfif/?t=stone

read the gospels and find out.
find some other hobby.
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by stimulus(m): 4:02pm On Apr 08, 2007
Hi @all,

There's no need for anyone to be offended. It's either we as Christians take the challenge or leave it (1 Pet. 3:15-16). At the end of the day, even where answers are offered, no one is compelled to abide by any answers - nor even any challenge for that matter.

Personally, I believe that the Lord Jesus said He would rise from the dead on the third day (Mark 9:31) - and that for me makes all the difference.

Cheers.
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by KAG: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2007
babyosisi:

read the gospels and find out.

I read the Gospels, I didn't find out.

find some other hobby.

Who has the time?
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by KAG: 4:28pm On Apr 08, 2007
stimulus:

Hi @all,

There's no need for anyone to be offended. It's either we as Christians take the challenge or leave it (1 Pet. 3:15-16). At the end of the day, even where answers are offered, no one is compelled to abide by any answers - nor even any challenge for that matter.

Exactly! When the challenge to find the connection between Jesus' story and the Easter bunny and Egg was given out, South Park rose to the occasion with grace; others decided to leave it be. At the end of the day, everyone had a laugh and shared some hugs.

Personally, I believe that the Lord Jesus said He would rise from the dead on the third day (Mark 9:31) - and that for me makes all the difference.

Cheers.

But is saying the same as doing?
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by stimulus(m): 5:07pm On Apr 08, 2007
Hi @KAG,

KAG:

Exactly! When the challenge to find the connection between Jesus' story and the Easter bunny and Egg was given out, South Park rose to the occasion with grace; others decided to leave it be. At the end of the day, everyone had a laugh and shared some hugs.

Well, there again. I don't see the connection at all.

KAG:

But is saying the same as doing?

No, it's not. It's quite a challenge, I must admit; but then I might try and make an attempt sometime soon.

Cheers.
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by KAG: 5:41pm On Apr 08, 2007
stimulus:

Hi @KAG,

Well, there again. I don't see the connection at all.

It's a long complicated story involving Peter Rabbit, Jesus and the Catholic church.

No, it's not. It's quite a challenge, I must admit; but then I might try and make an attempt sometime soon.

Cheers.

Better you than me - I gave up at the start.
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by KAG: 8:37pm On Jun 28, 2007
Just for chits and giggles.
Re: Dan Barker's Easter Challenge by stimulus(m): 10:44pm On Jun 28, 2007
Lol, I haven't forgotten actually - just been too lazy to finish the draft. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Old And New Covenant / Rip Bishop Dr Ben Naigbe / The Trouble With Richard Dawkins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.