Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,341 members, 7,839,608 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? (954 Views)

Photo: What A South African Said About Nigerian Pastors / Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / Lagosians Chide Pastors Over Self-advertisement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by adconline(m): 8:08am On Apr 09, 2007
I was just wondering that cozy relationship some Nigerian pastors have with some politicians might make them to mortgage their conscience. Sunday Mbang has been an avid supporter of Obasanjo, so is Enoch Adeboye of RCCG. Do you not think that some of these pastors might compromise their beliefs and philosophy in order to have a photo opportunity with the president? Rev. Sunday Mbang officiated Obasanjo's 70th Birthday Thanksgiving Service. Bishop Oyedepo was also in attendance.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200704093571528

I was reading about Chimaroke and found out that Anglican Bishop of Enugu is a member of governing council of Renaissance University,   a private university founded by Chimaroke.

Can these religious leaders really speak truth to power if necessary? I am not saying that they should adopt Tunde Bakare's approach of seeing and prophesizing evil, but I think that religious leaders should maintain some level of decency and spirituality when dealing with politicians.

http://www.rnu.edu.ng/governingcouncil.html
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by pilgrim1(f): 8:22pm On Aug 05, 2007
Shows how some 'pastors' have misconstrued their their callings and instead are looking to civil powers and approval for their divine callings. undecided
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by Aproko(f): 10:27pm On Aug 06, 2007
i've always believed a pastor should be politically neutral and leave the criticisms for the critics. a pastor should pray for his country and give spiritual advise when called upon to do so, not political analysis and false prophecies. so any pastor that involves himself with politics, i regard as one that doesn't understand his calling, or may not even be called at all.
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by otuwe(f): 10:10am On Aug 07, 2007
[size=18pt]i wonder oh[/size] angry
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by pilgrim1(f): 4:37pm On Aug 08, 2007
Aproko:

so any pastor that involves himself with politics, i regard as one that doesn't understand his calling, or may not even be called at all.

Actually, there's nothing wrong in pastors and Christian leaders making informed contributions to the politics that shape the cultures of the day. However, it is truly doubtful that God intended Christian leaders to become preoccupied with politics or any secular matters over their divine vocation.

-------

@Aproko and otuwe,

Una try, no be small! Shé una don disappear finish? After leaving me all by myself the past week! I go do my own back! grin
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by TV01(m): 4:42pm On Aug 08, 2007
Politics and religion (man-made) are the cause of all the worlds conficts.

Listen carefully. The kind of person who gravitates towards the grubby world of politics is the same sort who finds a home in the murky waters of man-made religion.

They are brothers in arms and it was only ever a matter of time till it become open and has always been very clear to those who see. The ho' and the beast. What a lovely couple

Pastor-President
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by pilgrim1(f): 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2007
Mr pastor/president,

Christians have a civil responsibility to their political governments. If they do not, that should be a 100% clear STAY OUT! And as such, we don't owe no civil or political government any tax - which would be contrary to what is stated in Romans 13.
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by muhsin(m): 5:00pm On Aug 08, 2007
No wonder.[size=8pt][/size]
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by pilgrim1(f): 5:01pm On Aug 08, 2007
@mushin, how bodi? grin
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by TV01(m): 10:44am On Aug 09, 2007
pilgrim.1:

Christians have a civil responsibility to their political governments.

Did I say they didn't?

pilgrim.1:

If they do not, that should be a 100% clear STAY OUT!

Out of what exactly

pilgrim.1:

And as such, we don't owe no civil or political government any tax - which would be contrary to what is stated in Romans 13.

Another convoluted submission. And I still haven't eaten. First things first my dear grin!

Daddy-Pastor
Re: WHY ARE NIGERIAN PASTORS OVER PRAISING POLITICIANS? by pilgrim1(f): 12:55pm On Aug 09, 2007
TV01,

My point was concise and clear. If you have a problem understanding simple issues, let me recommend that you go read Romans 13 and then come back to re-read my submission. This parrying around and knotting yourself in issues you little understand has grown out of use.

Good morning.

(1) (Reply)

Jesus' Transfiguration - On Which Mountian / The Law Of Attraction: Does It Work? / Purity Ring (promise Ring, Chastity Ring)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.