Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,246 members, 7,811,693 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. (4005 Views)

After Learning Driving On Youtube Channels, I'm About To Pick Up A Driving Job / Introducing The 2020 Ford Explorer (photos And Details) / The Good Old Days Of Ford Explorer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Shaderkul: 4:09am On Oct 27, 2018
Hello All,
I'll make this brief. I'm in the market for a new car and I'm considering a 2012 Ford Explorer XTL. All my friends and my mechanic are trying to discourage me from buying it, saying its a problematic car and truly, the little research I've done online is not looking good for it, with issues leading to recalls and the likes.

So, I want to know directly from the source:
- What is it like to own a Ford Explorer in Nigeria in terms of maintenance
- Is it prone to issues? What issues does it usually have and how much did it take to fix?
- Are parts readily available and where at what cost?
- What are the things i need to know before taking the plunge?
- Any tips and tricks?

Thank you all!
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by LuciferYaweh: 5:55am On Oct 27, 2018
It has enough space at the back for a decent sex romp which saves you hotel fees.

This is its most important feature.

6 Likes

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by sultaan(m): 7:15am On Oct 27, 2018
Shaderkul:
Hello All,
I'll make this brief. I'm in the market for a new car and I'm considering a 2012 Ford Explorer XTL. All my friends and my mechanic are trying to discourage me from buying it, saying its a problematic car and truly, the little research I've done online is not looking good for it, with issues leading to recalls and the likes.

- Is it prone to issues? What issues does it usually have and how much did it take to fix?
- Any tips and tricks?

Thank you all!

check the vin to make sure it was not flooded or too badly damaged.

I see a lot of the and the Ford Edge on Lagos roads so they must be performing great for the owners. It will be cheaper than the usual models and you can bargain better

3 Likes

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Computergloba: 9:47am On Oct 27, 2018
For your comprehensive vehicle history report

Contact us on today

1 Like

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Computergloba: 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2018
sultaan:

For Free Flood Check
For Free Flood Damaged Vehicle Checks . Visit https://www.nairaland.com/4030035/free-flood-damaged-vehicle-checks#60086379
Visit https://www.nairaland.com/4370199/buyer-beware-free-vin-checks

1 Share

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Lyoncrescent: 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2018
Shaderkul:
Hello All,

- Any tips and tricks?

Thank you all!

I cant speak for ford explorer but my experience with my Ford edge can help you. I used a Ford Edge 2009 for a period of three years. Bought it tokunbo and it came with two keys full option. The maintenance is a little bit high because the parts are quite expensive and you have to use motocraft oil for the servicing .Parts are avalaible

However, the biggest challenge i had with the car was the mechanics i was exposed to. Good mechanics that repair ford are very rare. If you take your car to coscharis or briscoe, they will charge you high. even the independent mechanics avalaible were trained by these companies. If your ford has a fault on the road, other mechanics in most cases will avoid it. Even one popular ford mechanic on nairaland enjoyed eating my money and still doing shakara because good ford mechanics are rare. There was a hillarious case where i met one mechanic who i was introduced to that repairs ford. Went to see him only for him to say he has stop repairing ford because an explorer he tried to repair kept giving problems and the owner a strict woman got him arrested.

In summary, using a ford is classy but you must be ready for premium maintenance as in most cases u must buy OEM spare parts not the knock offs. Secondly, you must pray to find a good ford mechanic. I currently use a toyota as mechanics for toyota are every where and parts are cheaper. From Brake pads to shock absorbers to brake discs to motocraft oil, all is premium parts and a mechanic who has both the technical skills and the fear of GOD. Compared to toyota mechanics, technical skills isnt an issue but fear of GOD on the part of mechanics is. Enventually sold my FORD Edge. If you can find a great mechanic and can afford premium maintenance then carry go.

Final Recommendation: DONT BUY A FORD PRODUCT

7 Likes

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by sultaan(m): 7:08pm On Oct 27, 2018
Lyoncrescent:

I cant speak for ford explorer but my experience with my Ford edge can help you. I used a Ford Edge 2009 for a period of three years. Bought it tokunbo and it came with two keys full option. The maintenance is a little bit high because the parts are quite expensive and you have to use motocraft oil for the servicing .Parts are avalaible

However, the biggest challenge i had with the car was the mechanics i was exposed to. Good mechanics that repair ford are very rare. If you take your car to coscharis or briscoe, they will charge you high. even the independent mechanics avalaible were trained by these companies. If your ford has a fault on the road, other mechanics in most cases will avoid it. Even one popular ford mechanic on nairaland enjoyed eating my money and still doing shakara because good ford mechanics are rare. There was a hillarious case where i met one mechanic who i was introduced to that repairs ford. Went to see him only for him to say he has stop repairing ford because an explorer he tried to repair kept giving problems and the owner a strict woman got him arrested.

In summary, using a ford is classy but you must be ready for premium maintenance as in most cases u must buy OEM spare parts not the knock offs. Secondly, you must pray to find a good ford mechanic. I currently use a toyota as mechanics for toyota are every where and parts are cheaper. From Brake pads to shock absorbers to brake discs to motocraft oil, all is premium parts and a mechanic who has both the technical skills and the fear of GOD. Compared to toyota mechanics, technical skills isnt an issue but fear of GOD on the part of mechanics is. Enventually sold my FORD Edge. If you can find a great mechanic and can afford premium maintenance then carry go.

Good story about repairs when owner never mentioned any broken part. If the car was damaged by the roads, that happens to all cars in Nigeria.

Ending with the recommendation of Toyota is a classic finish by a kazeemized car user.

OP buy what you like and will enjoy, not what a kazeem thinks won't be business. Anyone is a mechanic should be able to fix Ford or GM cars all cars are the same they share a lot of parts

5 Likes

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by weyreypey: 7:23pm On Oct 27, 2018
looks like trouble
smells like trouble
it is probably trouble......walk away!!

2 Likes

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by paix(m): 8:48pm On Oct 27, 2018
weyreypey:
looks like trouble
smells like trouble
it is probably trouble......walk away!!
We're on the same page.
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by johnabraham: 10:07pm On Oct 27, 2018
i am a proud owner of 2013 explorer limited edition, it has 77424 kms on the odometer now. it was bought brand new from coscharis by the first owner. i am the second owner. USE ONLY RECOMMENDED FLUIDS and change at regular intervals. service the vehicle regularly. do not take it to road side kazeem. mine is maintained by oga Gazzuzz. parts bit expensive but a sturdy and reliable vehicle. doesn't develop problems easily. not too complicated to repair.

6 Likes

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Shaderkul: 12:01am On Oct 28, 2018
LuciferYaweh:
It has enough space at the back for a decent sex romp which saves you hotel fees.

This is its most important feature.

Mtcheeeewww!! grin
I'm married
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Shaderkul: 12:03am On Oct 28, 2018
johnabraham:
i am a proud owner of 2013 explorer limited edition, it has 77424 kms on the odometer now. it was bought brand new from coscharis by the first owner. i am the second owner. USE ONLY RECOMMENDED FLUIDS and change at regular intervals. service the vehicle regularly. do not take it to road side kazeem. mine is maintained by oga Gazzuzz. parts bit expensive but a sturdy and reliable vehicle. doesn't develop problems easily. not too complicated to repair.

Oh, thanks for the feedback. I will never let roadside Kazeems touch my car o!

1 Like

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Shaderkul: 12:08am On Oct 28, 2018
sultaan:

I see a lot of the and the Ford Edge on Lagos roads so they must be performing great for the owners. It will be cheaper than the usual models and you can bargain better

Yes, Ive already checked its history and its not accidented or damaged by flood.
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Shaderkul: 12:17am On Oct 28, 2018
Lyoncrescent:

Wow, thanks for the feedback. I dont mind buying premium parts for maintenance, they last longer than knockoffs anyway. And I think Ive gotten a good place to go for maintenance and repairs that wont charge me briscoe and Coscharis money
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Readonee35L(m): 12:56am On Oct 28, 2018
johnabraham:
At 77k km your car is still very young.
Aside oil i dont see anything that should need extra hand on the vehicle
So what has taken you to the mechanic ?

1 Like

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Lyoncrescent: 7:01am On Oct 28, 2018
Shaderkul:

Wow, thanks for the feedback. I dont mind buying premium parts for maintenance, they last longer than knockoffs anyway. And I think Ive gotten a good place to go for maintenance and repairs that wont charge me briscoe and Coscharis money

Please can you share the details of the good place you have gotten if you can . Thanks
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by johnabraham: 8:47am On Oct 28, 2018
apart from regular service, all i can recall is rear suspension bushings, brake pads, ac cabin filter

Readonee35L:

At 77k km your car is still very young.
Aside oil i dont see anything that should need extra hand on the vehicle
So what has taken you to the mechanic ?
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Mikkylounge: 8:44am On Oct 29, 2018
I don't use a ford explorer but I use a Jeep commander which is american. Explorers do not break down often and you can drive for months at a stretch without spending a naira on anything but fluids and filters. Take your ford to CARQUEST, by the Chevron toll gate, inward Ajah and be rest assured you're getting the best service at really pocket friendly prices+jamaican cuisine grin
Buy the explorer, you have nothing to fear

5 Likes

Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by olumide4christ: 6:57pm On Oct 29, 2018
Shaderkul:

Where is this place you intend to go for maintenance and repairs? Would you mind sharing contact details??
Re: Ford Explorer Owners: Please Share Your Experience! I'm About To Buy One. by Shaderkul: 3:08am On Oct 30, 2018
olumide4christ:

Where is this place you intend to go for maintenance and repairs? Would you mind sharing contact details??

These guys:
https://www.nairaland.com/4501821/milex-carquest-2nd-largest-usa

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

New Ivm Keke Selling At 950k. So Disappointed / Plz Help!!! My Car Jerks In Traffic / Question On Starting System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.