Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,772 members, 7,813,561 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge (1801 Views)

My Experience With Ford Galaxy Interstate Public Travel / Hyundai And Kia Develop World’s First ICT Connected Shift System (photos) / The New 2019 Ford Edge Unveiled In Nigeria By Coscharis Motors (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 5:36pm On Oct 28, 2018
Happy Sunday Automobile experts!

We have a challenge on Ford Edge car. The power steering pump was changed two days ago and the brain box was removed for security reasons. Yesterday, everything was fixed but we discovered the gear isn't picking well. The machine detected shift solenoid problem. What could have caused this? The gear was not touched at all
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by mayor2013: 6:44pm On Oct 28, 2018
BestChoiceTutor:
Happy Sunday Automobile experts!

We have a challenge on Ford Edge car. The power steering pump was changed two days ago and the brain box was removed for security reasons. Yesterday, everything was fixed but we discovered the gear isn't picking well. The machine detected shift solenoid problem. What could have caused this? The gear was not touched at all

Two things could have transpired.

1) wrong approach of pulling out ECU
2) fault has been there prior to having this new fix
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by cyborg123(m): 9:07pm On Oct 28, 2018
Have you tried unpluging and cleaning the sockets of the ECU.

I'm suspecting partial contact somewhere.
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 9:21pm On Oct 28, 2018
mayor2013:

Two things could have transpired.
1) wrong approach of pulling out ECU 2) fault has been there prior to having this new fix
Thanks
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 9:22pm On Oct 28, 2018
cyborg123:
Have you tried unpluging and cleaning the sockets of the ECU.

I'm suspecting partial contact somewhere.

Yes
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by cyborg123(m): 9:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
Then oga mayor has said it all.
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by sultaan(m): 12:34am On Oct 29, 2018
Why was power steering pump changed?

I still have a problem with half story after the fact

Sometimes people disconnect battery to reset ECU
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 4:48pm On Oct 29, 2018
sultaan:
Why was power steering pump changed?
I still have a problem with half story after the fact
Sometimes people disconnect battery to reset ECU
The steering was very hard to move.
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2018
I am very grateful to everyone who contributed here. Special thanks to Mayor 2013, Cyblog123 and Sultaan.
We have unplugged and cleaned the socket of the ECU but the problem remains.
Since the problem has been detected what could be done

1 Like

Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by mayor2013: 8:15pm On Oct 29, 2018
BestChoiceTutor:
I am very grateful to everyone who contributed here. Special thanks to Mayor 2013, Cyblog123 and Sultaan.
We have unplugged and cleaned the socket of the ECU but the problem remains.
Since the problem has been detected what could be done

If you are sure you have been doing your transmission oil change regularly. I would say next step is to have a close look at your ecu connectors well. Might just be a bent male pin at the ecu or a misaligned female pin at the connectors. These route are easy to go by first
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by sultaan(m): 9:04pm On Oct 29, 2018
Could you give the exact number the machine gave that made you think it is a shift solenoid, sometimes the code actually means it is not getting signal, but the sensor might be good.

Your mechanic could have blown a fuse, the normal routine is to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before doing any work. And make sure the part you replace is exactly like the one removed
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 9:07pm On Oct 29, 2018
mayor2013:

If you are sure you have been doing your transmission oil change regularly. I would say next step is to have a close look at your ecu connectors well. Might just be a bent male pin at the ecu or a misaligned female pin at the connectors. These route are easy to go by first

All has been checked!
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 9:10pm On Oct 29, 2018
sultaan:
Could you give the exact number the machine gave that made you think it is a shift solenoid, sometimes the code actually means it is not getting signal, but the sensor might be good.

Your mechanic could have blown a fuse, the normal routine is to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before doing any work. And make sure the part you replace is exactly like the one removed

I used launch diagnostic machine more than 5 times to check. It's more of electrical problem
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by sultaan(m): 9:26pm On Oct 29, 2018
BestChoiceTutor:

I used launch diagnostic machine more than 5 times to check. It's more of electrical problem

So what code did you get?

That code will point to where the electrical fault is.

If there is no fault then you need to give the symptoms of the fault what else is not working.

A mechanic who knows what he is doing will not remove the ecu.

So far you said steering was stiff, removed ecu, changed pump and solenoid fault.

The mechanic could have broken the connector and the code tells which of the solenoids is not working, anything else done by mechanic, because ecu is usually at top right and solenoid bottom left so they don't mix
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by mayor2013: 9:27pm On Oct 29, 2018
BestChoiceTutor:

State exact scan result as reported on the scan tool
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by BestChoiceTutor(m): 9:50pm On Oct 30, 2018
Joy at last! We unplugged & cleaned the ECU socket mouth with petrol today and it started working.

Thanks all

1 Like

Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by sultaan(m): 12:38am On Oct 31, 2018
Congrats, now you see that most problems were caused by mechanics who don't know what they are doing

I bet he said you should have gotten a Toyota that way they will change to a 22 pin transmission.

He contaminated the electrical system now used petrol to clean it?!

That is the wrong solvent use contact cleaner
Re: Shift Solenoid Problem With Ford Edge by dawahlarry: 6:50am On Jun 04, 2021
Hello house, please I'm also having shift solenoids problem with my car. Kindly suggest solutions to this. Here are the error codes;

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Kia
VIN: KNAFE121975378934

============1==============
P0700
Raw code: 0700
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Transmission control system, MIL request - circuit malfunction

============2==============
P0755
Raw code: 0755
ECU: Transmission control unit
OBDII: Shift solenoid (SS) B - circuit malfunction

============3==============
P0760
Raw code: 0760
ECU: Transmission control unit
Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Shift solenoid (SS) C - circuit malfunction

(1) (Reply)

Sold!!! 9ja Used Toyota Corolla03 At Ajah Lagos. For #1.2m. Call 08131291655 / Stolen Vehicle Pls Take Note / Camry Big For Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.