Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,120 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos (28053 Views)

5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos / UNIBEN Fresh Graduate, TJ Drowns In Swimming Pool (photo) / Flood Sweeps Away UNIBEN Student As He Drowns In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Kingsmeal: 8:53am On Oct 31, 2018
A 17-year-old boy identified as Ifeanyi Onyekwere, has reportedly drowned in a swimming pool in the Police College, Ikeja, Lagos State, few hours after he was assisting his mother at her shop before he left for the college where he died.

While speaking to PUNCH Metro, Ifeanyi’s 48-year-old mother, Ada, said lifeguards at the pool did not watch over the swimmers to keep them safe.

He said, “I was at my shop on Tuesday when a lady came to inform me that they rushed my son to a hospital at the police college. She said my son might have gone to swim because his clothes were wet.

"So, I went to the police college, but they refused to show me his body. After crying and pleading, they said they had taken him out of the place. I never knew he went to swim; we were together at the market before he left me. I did not see him going with anybody.

“I am sure lifeguards were there, but they were not monitoring the swimmers very well. I have not been able to do anything since the incident; my son’s life is more important to me than anything and I am just trying to recover from the shock. I don’t want anything other than him coming back to life.”

While also speaking to a correspondent, Ifeanyi’s elder brother, Benjamin, said he became suspicious over his brother’s death when he saw that his corpse was fully clothed in the mortuary.

The Police College Public Relations Officer, DSP Sholaye Oluwaseyi, disclosed that the college was not in control of the swimming pool, adding that it was run by a separate entity.

When a correspondent visited the swimming pool, it was noted that the entrance was locked. The manager of the swimming pool, who identified himself only as Fatai, refused to comment.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Chike Oti, confirmed the incident, adding that the command had commenced investigation into the death.

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/tragedy-as-17-year-old-boy-drowns-in-police-college-swimming-pool-in-lagos/

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by cooldipo(m): 9:00am On Oct 31, 2018
If you no sabi swim..... Don't go near water if possible!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Richdad50(m): 2:22pm On Oct 31, 2018
I feel for his mother who spent years raising a 17 year old boy. If you have never lost anyone before, you may never relate to the pain but for every family member who dies mysteriously or otherwise especially at a young age, the space and emptiness they leave behind can never be filled.
I pray the Good Lord grant you the heart to bear the loss of your son. And to everyone who has either lost a sibling, son, daughter, parent, sister, or brother, accept my heartfelt sympathy. I am sorry. I feel your pain too. We all do.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by TINKU01(f): 2:22pm On Oct 31, 2018
RIP
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by sunnysunny69(m): 2:22pm On Oct 31, 2018
Swimming pool should have a lifeguard, this is tragedy.

If the family doesn't sue, there will be another victim, they have to sue in order to teach them a lesson.

2 Likes

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 31, 2018
N
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Opinionated: 2:23pm On Oct 31, 2018
RIP Chai at month ending

This fight is just making me wonder if it's Nollywood or Chinawood? see for yourself

1 Like

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Phyqee10(m): 2:23pm On Oct 31, 2018
Life cut short.. So sad RIP to you bro.
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by maxzzo1(m): 2:23pm On Oct 31, 2018
cooldipo:
How will u learn if u don't go near water?

4 Likes

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Opinionated: 2:23pm On Oct 31, 2018
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by pisovi: 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
ahh.....this is so painful lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by AustineCJ: 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
Water no de swallow any body im no see the legs....

1 Like

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
What a sad news..

May his soul Rest in Peace.. embarassed
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by id4sho(m): 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
r
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by christejames(m): 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
RIP
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by papafoh: 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
OMG
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Richdad50(m): 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
One of the most insensitive statement i have heard in recent years. Quite Nasty coming from Dipo
cooldipo:

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by SarkinYarki: 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
My friends mother used to say the only safe water is water inside cup and even that one sef can choke and kill if care is not taken
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
Why go swimming when you can't swim? He probably dived and hit his head.

RIP.
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by sugolizez: 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2018
nawa
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by OkpaAkuEriEri(m): 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2018
Afonja HV use him 4 sacrifice

1 Like

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by mikoge3: 2:26pm On Oct 31, 2018
massive sadness cry cry cry cry
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by Promise47(m): 2:27pm On Oct 31, 2018
a graduate like you bros go fine work forget keke

1 Like

Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by kofazebum: 2:27pm On Oct 31, 2018
eeyah
Re: 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos by moscobabs(m): 2:27pm On Oct 31, 2018
H

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

National Open University Admission Forms Is On Sale Now.hurry! / Arthur Eze Donates N200m To Azman University, Kano / UNIILORIN Suspends Lecturers For Whistle Blowing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.