Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop (1369 Views)

I Need Udemy Courses On Photoshop And Illustrator / Unable To Open Mock-up Files On Photoshop 7 / Desire Help On Photoshop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 10:27am On Nov 01, 2018
An outline is the strength of a good illustration. A properly outlined illustration makes your work easier to navigate. It also makes the colouring process less strenuous.

Outlines can be categorised as bounding lines and suggestive lines.

Bounding lines are the main outlines that defines shape or form. They serve as guides in colouring. Bounding lines are the main outline and are usually close ended for ease in colouring.

Suggestive lines are little lines within a Bounding line that is aimed at adding a few details into the illustration. These might include wrinkles or facial lines, crease on clothes, ripples, etc. They make the colouring process easier by cutting down to many details.

The illustrations below is an example . The lips, the details in the ear and the eyes are all rendered in suggestive lines, while the other lines are the bounding lines.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 10:35am On Nov 01, 2018
Like earlier stated, a good outline guarantees easy colouring.

I use Photoshop pen tool to do my outlines. It's easier and faster. There is also an option of creating pen pressure to make your outlines smooth and fluid.

You can also outline on Adobe illustrator, Corel draw or Adobe flash. Virtually all design software have pen tool or other good tools to aid the outlining process.

If you have a Wacom tablet it is much easier, but this steps will benefit those who use mouse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 10:56am On Nov 01, 2018
Filling in your colours becomes easier.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 10:58am On Nov 01, 2018
And in no time. Your work is done.
I was able to finish this colouring in less than 45mins with mouse(not exaggerating). All thanks to a good outline.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 11:04am On Nov 01, 2018
If you will like to learn more on illustration, outlining and colouring, feel free to comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by LMandela(m): 10:21am On Nov 03, 2018
Please continue...

Thanks for this...

1 Like

Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 11:54am On Nov 03, 2018
LMandela:
Please continue...

Thanks for this...

Welcome bro,

Its encouraging to see my post is helpful.

I will add more tips as time permits .

My next post will be on vector illustration or icon art.
Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by Chidonc(m): 2:15pm On Nov 03, 2018
yuncka:
If you will like to learn more on illustration, outlining and colouring, feel free to comment.
continue bro

1 Like

Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by Marvel1206: 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2019
Please how do I use pressure sensitivity on illustrator without wacom tablet
Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by Marvel1206: 4:47pm On Feb 03, 2019
yuncka:

Welcome bro,

Its encouraging to see my post is helpful.

I will add more tips as time permits .

My next post will be on vector illustration or icon art.
Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 6:01pm On Feb 03, 2019
Marvel1206:

Hello Marvel,
I use Photoshop for my outlining. But for the pen pressure settings in illustrator, follow the instructions ( I copied it from a webpage)..

Step 1
Connect your graphics tablet to your computer. Launch Illustrator.

Step 2
Click the brushes icon in the right-hand toolbar to open the Brushes palette window. Double-click the brush you want to use to open its options window.

Step 3
Click the "Diameter" drop-down menu and click "Pressure." Click the "Angle" and "Roundness" drop-down menus, and click "Pressure" for each, if desired.

Step 4
Click "OK" to close the options window and turn on pen pressure in Illustrator.

Tell me if it helps.
Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by Marvel1206: 9:27pm On Feb 03, 2019
yuncka:

Hello Marvel,
I use Photoshop for my outlining. But for the pen pressure settings in illustrator, follow the instructions ( I copied it from a webpage)..

Step 1
Connect your graphics tablet to your computer. Launch Illustrator.

Step 2
Click the brushes icon in the right-hand toolbar to open the Brushes palette window. Double-click the brush you want to use to open its options window.

Step 3
Click the "Diameter" drop-down menu and click "Pressure." Click the "Angle" and "Roundness" drop-down menus, and click "Pressure" for each, if desired.

Step 4
Click "OK" to close the options window and turn on pen pressure in Illustrator.

Tell me if it helps.
Actually, the tablet is the problem. How do you outline with photoshop
Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 11:43pm On Feb 03, 2019
Marvel1206:

It can be done by freehand, you have to set your brush well.

The other alternative is the use of pen tool, this will work well if you are very conversant with using pen tool .

Other ways I explored is with Corel draw and Adobe Flash. They have brush smoothening functions that make your strokes more fluid like a pen pressure. Sometimes I create my outlines over there and save as PNG to work on Photoshop.
Re: Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop by yuncka: 12:06am On Feb 04, 2019
Marvel1206:

To achieve pressure sensitivity using pen tool on mouse;,

*Use pen tool to do your tracing.
*Choose a normal basic brush.
*On the brush preset menu, check "shape dynamics."
*Go back to your pen tool, right click on the work and select stroke path.
*Then check "simulate pressure" on the pop up that follows. Then click ok.

I used pen tool to outline the boy and the man illustrations below. The cartoon character was outlined on flash.
The signature on the illustration was created on coreldraw with mouse ...

(1) (Reply)

ADOBE Premiere Pro CC- Gurus Pls Come / Any 2d Animator In Umuahia Should Hit Me Up For A Project / Feedback On My Greeting Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.