Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Catholic Q&A Thread - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Q&A Thread (2520 Views)

The Six Catholic Seminarians Lying In State. Rip (Photo) / Catholic Priest Slumps And Dies In Anambra During Church Service / A Thread For Catholics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Q&A Thread by Nnenna1(f): 9:38pm On Jan 07, 2006
Hey, grin grin

This is for all christians and other religions interested in learning about catholicism. All types of questions (provided they are not posted in any form of harsh criticism) are welcome. I also wanted to put this in to clarify many misunderstandings about us. I will try to answer as much questions as I can cool, and invite all catholics to help out. Discussion flows are welcome.

What do you all think? grin
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by ldollier(f): 10:01pm On Jan 07, 2006
oh this thread will be very nice

i am pentecostal but anywho kindly explain to me the whole thing about purgatory
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Nnenna1(f): 10:26pm On Jan 07, 2006
Purgatory, according to catholic doctrine, is a place of temporary punishment for those who have commited venial sins and cannot enter heaven until these sins are purged (hence the word "purgatory"wink. Venial sins, simply put, are not indulgent sins (serious sins that might put you to hell) but minor, like, say, sins of omission (forgetting to give to the poor when you have more than enough, even though you are sincerely devout, for instance). They are sins, nonetheless, and must be accounted for before reaching God. For in the book of habakkuk His "eyes are too pure to behold evil" (Habakkuk 1: 13)

Although God pardons all sin, he does exert some form of punishment to purge the sinner, even when he confesses before he dies. The proof of this place's existence CAN be found in biblical roots.  When David sinned with bathsheba and confessed, God forgave him, but took away his son because he allowed people to blaspheme in his name (2 samuel 12: 13-14). 

Jesus himself said it that "whosoever shall speak against the son of man, he shall be forgiven: but whosoever speak against the Holy spirit, he shall not be forgiven, neither in this world, nor in the world to come (matthew 12: 32), indicating the possibility of some sins being forgiven in the afterlife, purged in one way or another, since God cannot behold anything evil.

Paul  further provides some proof in the letters to the corinthians (1 corinthians 3: 11-15):

"For other foundation no man can lay, but that which is laid; which is Christ Jesus. Now if any man build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay stubble: Every man's work shall be manifest; for the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire; and the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is. If any man's work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire."

while this passage is open to many other interpretations, seasoned scholars and theologans hold it as an intermediate state in which sins are burned and tossed away before an individual can enter the kingdom of God.

For more on purgatory, you can read the works of St. Ambrose and St. Augustine, which are available in many christian bookshops.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by ldollier(f): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2006
WOW cheesy cheesy WOW

Nnenna nne biko you rocks. thanks a lot that was very very very helpful. wink

nne keep up the good work. i might start up a thread like this. shoo who am i kidding

nice thread wink
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by ocho(f): 12:58am On Jan 10, 2006
nice one nnenna.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by larger20(m): 12:24am On Jan 11, 2006
Nnenna1 (f)

The status of virgin mary, some people see it as idolatry in the church. how do u defend this?
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by chrisd(m): 12:42pm On Jan 12, 2006
Now, according to Jesus himself, some of those who are good, still will have to give an account even for their idle words (which can be bad). Second, Paul says that we will have to give an account for all the deeds that we do, either good or bad. Thus, it shows that even those who are in Christ will be judged for their sins. Third, in the Book of Revelation, there is a great white throne judgment, when all will be judged. All will be judged according to their works. Those who have bad works, and are not written in the Book of Life will be cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:15). However, all will be judged on all their works. Finally, we see in 1 Peter 1, that the Father judges each one, according to his deeds. Thus, for believers, it is not just that we get judged for good deeds, but we get judged for all our deeds. These passages do not give us any idea that since we have an imputed righteousness of Christ, we won’t be judged for the bad works, which are sins. On the contrary, even believers will be judged for sins we commit. This destroys the theory of imputed righteousness of Christ as serving as the basis for the idea of there being no need for purgatory.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by cooltola(m): 7:00am On Jan 15, 2006
Nnenna ,
Why do catholics even pray to Mary to ask forgiveness for their sin? I mean Jesus was supposed to be the way and no one could see the kingdom without through Jesus.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by chrisd(m): 11:39am On Jan 16, 2006
Praying to Mary and the Saints

I will talk about the Catholic practice of asking Mary, saints and angels to pray for us. The Bible directs us to invoke those in heaven and ask them to pray with us.

Thus in Psalm 103, we pray, "Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will!" (Ps. 103:20-21).

And in Psalm 148 we pray, "Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise him in the heights! Praise him, all his angels, praise him, all his host!" (Ps. 148:1-2)

Not only do those in heaven pray with us, they also pray for us. In Revelation, John sees that "the twenty-four elders [the leaders of the people of God in heaven] fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints" (Rev. 5:cool. Thus the saints in heaven offer to God the prayers of the saints on earth.

Angels do the same thing: "An angel came and stood at the altar [in heaven] with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God" (Rev. 8:3-4).

Jesus himself warned us not to mess with small children because their guardian angels have guaranteed intercessory access to the Father: "See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." (Matt. 18:10).

Because he is the only God-man, Jesus is the only Mediator between man and God (1 Tim. 2:5), but this in no way means we cannot or should not ask our fellow Christians to pray with us and for us (1 Tim. 2:1-4), including those Christians in heaven, who have already had their sanctification completed, for "the prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects" (Jas. 5:16).

I would be willing to bet they do not even examine the prayers we use to 'petition' Mary. Have you ever heard of the word 'intercession'? It is when we ask someone to pray for us. Lets look at a few Bible verses...

Rom 15:30, "...help me by your prayers to GOD for me."
Col 1:9, "This is why we too have been praying for you unceasingly."
1Thes 3:10, "Night and day we pray more and more..."
2Thes 1:11, "To this end we pray always for you."
2Thes 3:1, "In conclusion brethren, pray for us..."
Jam 5:16, "...and pray for one another that you may be saved."
Rev 8:3-4 "...that he may offer it with the prayers of all the saints..."

The Bible is asking you to pray for one another. Have you ever asked someone to pray for you? Have you ever told someone you will pray for them? Why then, when the name of Mary is introduced, is it not to be asked of her? Was she not a created being like all the rest of us? Why can we ask everyone else to pray for us, but we can't ask it of Mary? Does it not stand to reason that her Son would listen to her and grant her requests?

He turned water into wine at Cana just by Mary making a remark, "They have no wine", Jn 2:3. He was subjected to her in Lk 2:51, and no doubt for many years until His ministry started at age 30. He listens to her now, just as He did then. She must have a lot more influence with Him than any of us do, since she is His mother.

Let us see what Catholics pray.

Have you ever listened to the words of the most used Marian prayer of all, the Hail Mary?

*** "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee." ***
This is nothing more than the salutation of Gabriel in Luke 1:28.

*** "Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb (Jesus)." ***
That is Elizabeth's greeting to Mary in Lk 1:42.

***"Holy Mary, mother of GOD." ***
She is a saint which makes her holy, and she is the Mother of GOD, because Elizabeth calls her the 'Mother of Our Lord' in Lk 1:43. Also if you take Jn 1:1 "...and the Word was GOD', and add it to Jn 1:14, "...and the Word was made flesh", GOD was made flesh, and who was His mother? Mary!

*** "Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, amen." ***
This is nothing more than petitioning Mary to PRAY FOR US, just like in the Bible verses I presented. Do we 'pray to' Mary, or are we only petitioning her to pray for us?

Now the next question is, 'Yes, but it is repetitious (the Rosary) and that is forbidden by scripture'. (Mt 6:7)

OK, look at the entries listed above which have the asterisk (*) in front of them.

Are not Col 1:9, "This is why we have been praying for you unceasingly...", 1Thes 3:10, "Night and day we pray more and more...", and 2Thes 1:11, "To this end we pray always for you...", repetitious? Is this one of those so called 'Bible Conflicts' you hear about from time to time?

No, not at all. The answer is that the Bible refers to two types of prayer repetition 'Vain', in the manner of heathens, and 'Useful', NOT in the manner of heathens.

The Rosary is not vain repetition. Here is a list of some that you can check in your Bible.

Isa 6:3, Dan 3:52-90, Mt *26:44, Lk 6:12, Lk 18:1,9-14,21:36, Col 1:9, 1Thes 3:10,5:17, Jam 5:16, Rev 4:8

One final note:
Many non-Catholics have the belief that praying to "dead" people is useless. This is a mis-interpretation of what Holy Scripture teaches us, for the Blessed Virgin Mary and others who have gone on before us are not dead but live forever.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by ocho(f): 1:27am On Jan 18, 2006
uuu, the rosary! I love that prayer smiley
@chrisd:you're good!
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Txlonghorn(m): 1:47am On Jan 18, 2006
God bless you nne,I need all your prayers my sister I'm born catholic and not so active in church any more although I say my prayers as much as I can. Just thought I let you know, thank you for the post nne.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by truthhurts(f): 9:25am On Jan 20, 2006
Chrisd and Nnenna i have 2 commend you guys, been a catholic i cudnt have explained all this better. i do pray that God would meet you guys at the point of your need
i wud invite a whole lot of people to come to this thread so they would understand the catholic doctrine
keep up the good work guys
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Grouppoint(m): 5:49pm On Mar 19, 2007
I hope that this thread is still open.

Why has the church declared Mary the co-redemptrix along with Jesus? Does this not suggest that she redeemedus along with Christ?

Why is she regarded as Queen of Heaven? Doesnt this suggest that she is the wife of God the father?

Finally, I often wonder why the rosary would pray 10 times to Mary (hail mary), then once to God (our father). And then repeat the same thing again over and over.

Does this suggest that prayer through Mary are more potent than direct prayers?
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Bobbyaf(m): 6:59am On Mar 21, 2007
@ ChrisD

Praying to Mary and the Saints

I will talk about the Catholic practice of asking Mary, saints and angels to pray for us. The Bible directs us to invoke those in heaven and ask them to pray with us.

The bible does no such thing.

Thus in Psalm 103, we pray, "Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will!" (Ps. 103:20-21).

And in Psalm 148 we pray, "Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise him in the heights! Praise him, all his angels, praise him, all his host!" (Ps. 148:1-2)

Be honest now where in these texts do we see anything suggesting that we invoke angels or saints, assuming that sainsts are to be found in heaven anyway. What these texts are indeed saying is that angels should bless or praise the Lord. The phrase "O you his angels" is saying that the angels should praise God.

Let me give you an example of what an angel told John when he was in vision on the isle of Patmos not to do, and in no uncertain terms either. In Revelation 19:10 we read: 10 At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, Do not do it! I am a fellow- servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!

Not only do those in heaven pray with us, they also pray for us. In Revelation, John sees that "the twenty-four elders [the leaders of the people of God in heaven] fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints" (Rev. 5:. Thus the saints in heaven offer to God the prayers of the saints on earth.

Stop reading into the scriptures to suit your beliefs! The 24 elders were specially redeemed from the earth, but not for the purpose to which you are advocating. No way did the scripture say they were offering any prayers. They simply held bowls. Besides, all those persons that were canonised into saints supposedly by the RCC are in their graves and not in heaven as believed by catholics.

Angels do the same thing: "An angel came and stood at the altar [in heaven] with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God" (Rev. 8:3-4).

MOst of this is symbolic language and every effort should be made to interpret correctly. There is no connection here whatsoever.

Jesus himself warned us not to mess with small children because their guardian angels have guaranteed intercessory access to the Father: "See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." (Matt. 18:10).

So because angels have previleged access makes them our subject of adoration or invoking?

Because he is the only God-man, Jesus is the only Mediator between man and God (1 Tim. 2:5), but this in no way means we cannot or should not ask our fellow Christians to pray with us and for us (1 Tim. 2:1-4), including those Christians in heaven, who have already had their sanctification completed, for "the prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects" (Jas. 5:16).

Apart from Moses and Elijah that appeared to Christ on the mount, what proof do you have that christians are in heaven? If christians were in heaven then why would there be a need for the resurrection. Paul says the "dead in Christ shall rise first" Since there has not been a resurrection as yet, how then can a person other than being translated enter heaven?

I would be willing to bet they do not even examine the prayers we use to 'petition' Mary. Have you ever heard of the word 'intercession'? It is when we ask someone to pray for us. Lets look at a few Bible verses,

Rom 15:30, ", help me by your prayers to GOD for me."
Col 1:9, "This is why we too have been praying for you unceasingly."
1Thes 3:10, "Night and day we pray more and more, "
2Thes 1:11, "To this end we pray always for you."
2Thes 3:1, "In conclusion brethren, pray for us, "
Jam 5:16, ", and pray for one another that you may be saved."
Rev 8:3-4 ", that he may offer it with the prayers of all the saints, "

All these requests were centered around live people, and not those who were dead and went to heaven supposedly. Don't confuse my asking for a brother or sister to intercede for me in prayrers, with our asking for canonised dead people to pray for us. Until you are in a position to prove that any of those "saints" are really in heaven, aside from the 24 elders, then your argument is shaky.

The Bible is asking you to pray for one another. Have you ever asked someone to pray for you? Have you ever told someone you will pray for them? Why then, when the name of Mary is introduced, is it not to be asked of her?

Because Mary is dead and buried thats why! And please don't tell me that Mary appeared to several people as proof that she is somehow alive. As much as you might not believe this, all those apparitions are not from Mary, but from demons themselves who are setting the stage for the final great universal deception. And the sad thing is innocent christians are being decieved.

Was she not a created being like all the rest of us? Why can we ask everyone else to pray for us, but we can't ask it of Mary? Does it not stand to reason that her Son would listen to her and grant her requests?

He turned water into wine at Cana just by Mary making a remark, "They have no wine", Jn 2:3. He was subjected to her in Lk 2:51, and no doubt for many years until His ministry started at age 30. He listens to her now, just as He did then. She must have a lot more influence with Him than any of us do, since she is His mother.

Using the argument that Christ's granting Mary's request for converting water into wine is proof that He was subject to her is no proof at all, and neither is it a basis to teach that she now intercedes for us. The fact is if that were so important a matter to be appreciated by the church now, how come the bible didn't stress her having gone to heaven to fulfil such. No hint has been supplied by scripture.

The truth is the assumption-of-Mary-to-heaven teaching was started later by the catholic church. Its a RC doctrine and has become part of the church's traditonal beliefs, but there is nothing biblical about it.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by decarpoo: 6:07pm On Mar 24, 2007
now let talk about marriage in catholic is it true that catholic dont allow the ladies to marry other christian from another church plz advise
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by banni: 1:15pm On Apr 30, 2008
decarpoo:

now let talk about marriage in catholic is it true that catholic don't allow the ladies to marry other christian from another church plz advise

This is not true and infact you can get special permission to marry an outsider.This is actually not very hard to get at all.

But families use marriage to convert followers .And then claim my daughter converted her husband.

This is actually a very bad practise which nowadays European Catholic priests strongly discourage because of the aftermath.

Lets face it this is almost a shotgun conversion .There is no way at all the man or woman who converted will take the religion seriously at all.If he was even ever thinking of becoming a proper catholic that is now totally gone as he will think this religion is nothing more then one that forces people to convert using their love for their partner.

It is time Nigerian Catholic Priests become more open and let the procedure for marrying outsiders be way easier .In time the man will probably come to church for the sake of the children and might like the Catholic Church.

But making it hard will make the man draw away from the religion the minute the wedding is over.I know of one chap who refused to go to the sunday mass the next day after his wedding because he felt pushed to join the church and never stepped foot again in a catholic church.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by cgift(m): 2:38pm On Apr 30, 2008
@Bobbyaf? You dey find trouble o! Trouble rest, you go wake am. You dey on your own o! grin
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by banni: 3:17pm On Apr 30, 2008
cgift:

@Bobbyaf? You dey find trouble o! Trouble rest, you go wake am. You dey on your own o! grin

I agree I wake old thread grin

I just the click the read na so i find this one and the last reply come raise something i just dey talk with some guy man few hours ago.

I don see how English Catholic priest dey behave and i done see our own .And make i talk truth catholic church don mordenise but many of our priest no want hear word is all.

Sign the document make people marry .End of story.He who go divorce go dirvorce .
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by samba123(m): 3:48pm On Apr 30, 2008
cgift:

Don’t just laugh contribute to your fellow
bobbyat are expressing his ideas what do you think, kindly give also yours reply lol.
undecided
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Carlosein(m): 5:10pm On Apr 30, 2008
banni:

I agree I wake old thread grin

I just the click the read na so i find this one and the last reply come raise something i just dey talk with some guy man few hours ago.

I don see how English Catholic priest dey behave and i done see our own .And make i talk truth catholic church don mordenise but many of our priest no want hear word is all.

Sign the document make people marry .End of story.He who go divorce go dirvorce .

and who do you think will be responsible for the divorce?
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Lady2(f): 8:29pm On Apr 30, 2008
Because Mary is dead and buried thats why!

Where did she die and where is she buried?

Doesnt this suggest that she is the wife of God the father?

hahaha, oh no!!!

Someone can be called Queen without being married.
Look at the monarchs of Europe, most especially Elizabeth I. She was definitely Queen but never married.

Apart from Moses and Elijah that appeared to Christ on the mount, what proof do you have that christians are in heaven? If christians were in heaven then why would there be a need for the resurrection. Paul says the "dead in Christ shall rise first" Since there has not been a resurrection as yet, how then can a person other than being translated enter heaven?

Where is your proof that they are not?
If they are not in heaven, where are they? Where are their souls? Wouldn't this prove purgatory?
If there's to be a resurrection, it means the souls are being held somewhere. Where is that if I may ask?

They simply held bowls. Besides, all those persons that were canonised into saints supposedly by the RCC are in their graves and not in heaven as believed by catholics

Where is your proof? If Moses and Elijah made it to heaven, why not the mother of our Saviour? She's not special enough ehn? But special enough to be the vessel of God, abi?

So because angels have previleged access makes them our subject of adoration or invoking?

They don't need to be adored. But what's wrong with their invocation, if Christ tells us they're praying for us. Why not invoke them to do more of the praying?

The truth is the assumption-of-Mary-to-heaven teaching was started later by the catholic church. Its a RC doctrine and has become part of the church's traditonal beliefs, but there is nothing biblical about it.

There are writtings by apostles about Mary and they are of her birth and her ascension. They were not put in the Bible because the Bible is not about her but about God. So now I ask you, if it were put into the Bible would it then implore you to honour her?
How did the Bible come about? That is another discussion for another day.

The issue about Mary did not come up recently in the Catholic Church. It has always been there. It was debated for centuries, but became accepted recently, does that mean that it isn't true, absolutely not. If you say it does then the Bible won't be truth, because it was agreed upon centuries after Christ's death and the founding of the Church.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by banni: 1:53pm On May 01, 2008
samba123:

Don’t just laugh contribute to your fellow
bobbyat are expressing his ideas what do you think, kindly give also yours reply lol.
undecided

Carlosein:

and who do you think will be responsible for the divorce?
The couple ofc.Whether they are muslims,catholic,or whatever .It falls soleyl to the couple to decide if they want to marry and if its fails its their fault entirely.
A priest who chats to them for a few hours and barely knows them certainly is not in a position to judge at all.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:18pm On May 04, 2008
Grouppoint:

I hope that this thread is still open.

Why has the church declared Mary the co-redemptrix along with Jesus? Does this not suggest that she redeemedus along with Christ?

Why is she regarded as Queen of Heaven? Doesnt this suggest that she is the wife of God the father?

Finally, I often wonder why the rosary would pray 10 times to Mary (hail mary), then once to God (our father). And then repeat the same thing again over and over.

Does this suggest that prayer through Mary are more potent than direct prayers?

I recently came across this passage about the queen of heaven, could it be referring to the queen of heaven that is in question?

Jeremiah 44:15-23 (King James Version)

15 Then all the men which knew that their wives had burned incense unto other gods, and all the women that stood by, a great multitude, even all the people that dwelt in the land of Egypt, in Pathros, answered Jeremiah, saying,

16 As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the LORD, we will not hearken unto thee.

17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

18 But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.

19 And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?

20 Then Jeremiah said unto all the people, to the men, and to the women, and to all the people which had given him that answer, saying,

21 The incense that ye burned in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, ye, and your fathers, your kings, and your princes, and the people of the land, did not the LORD remember them, and came it not into his mind?

22 So that the LORD could no longer bear, because of the evil of your doings, and because of the abominations which ye have committed; therefore is your land a desolation, and an astonishment, and a curse, without an inhabitant, as at this day.

23 Because ye have burned incense, and because ye have sinned against the LORD, and have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, nor walked in his law, nor in his statutes, nor in his testimonies; therefore this evil is happened unto you, as at this day.

Does this have anything to do with why the Roman catholic priests burn incense, and to whom?
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Lady2(f): 6:52pm On May 05, 2008
Does this have anything to do with why the Roman catholic priests burn incense, and to whom?

hahaha, no. The queen of heaven that is being spoken of is a goddess that is worshipped.
If your insinuating that this is Mary, your wrong. She is never worshipped but honoured for being the ark of the covenant.

No incense is burnt to her. Don't forget that Zezhariah the father of John the Baptist was a priest and he also burnt incense. Luke 1:9
Are you insinutating that he was burning incense to Mary?

The use of incense can be found mentioned in many scriptures in the Bible as a way to pay homage to God. It is used today in ceremonies not only as a method of blessing, but also to encourage meditation and prayer.

Hope that answers your question.

People we don't preach that Mary is God or offer sacrifices to her. No Saint can take the place of God, Mary definitely cannot. But we do know that she is with God and that she prays for us. She is the ultimate mother. You cannot deny the Mother of God, even if you don't see that she's the Mother of God, you cannot deny the Mother of your saviour Jesus Christ. She birthed him and nursed him and raised him, certainly he wouldn't kick her to the curb. He won't say well your just a means for me to get on this earth and now you're irrelevant.
For those who don't think people make it to heaven what about Moses and Elijah, what about the thief on the cross?
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by cgift(m): 7:43am On May 06, 2008
~Lady~:

hahaha, no. The queen of heaven that is being spoken of is a goddess that is worshipped.
If your insinuating that this is Mary, your wrong. She is never worshipped but honoured for being the ark of the covenant.

No incense is burnt to her. Don't forget that Zezhariah the father of John the Baptist was a priest and he also burnt incense. Luke 1:9

The use of incense can be found mentioned in many scriptures in the Bible as a way to pay homage to God. It is used today in ceremonies not only as a method of blessing, but also to encourage meditation and prayer.

People we don't preach that Mary is God or offer sacrifices to her. No Saint can take the place of God, Mary definitely cannot. But we do know that she is with God and that she prays for us. She is the ultimate mother. You cannot deny the Mother of God, even if you don't see that she's the Mother of God, you cannot deny the Mother of your saviour Jesus Christ. She birthed him and nursed him and raised him, certainly he wouldn't kick her to the curb. He won't say well your just a means for me to get on this earth and now you're irrelevant.
For those who don't think people make it to heaven what about Moses and Elijah, what about the thief on the cross?

But your pope has declared the mary of the apparition as your saviour?
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:25pm On May 10, 2008
~Lady~:

I have just come across this article about the Queen of heaven.  It will be very disturbing if this story is true. Is Roman Catholism truly "Christians" as she claims?

Check it out in the weblink below

http://www.cuttingedge.org/articles/rc109.htm
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by reindeer: 12:05am On May 13, 2008
did you guys read the link above?its scarily accurate!
Idolatry, Paganism, disguised new age religion, na wah o!
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by AKO1(m): 11:30am On May 13, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

I have just come across this article about the Queen of heaven.  It will be very disturbing if this story is true.   Is Roman Catholism truly "Christians" as she claims?

Check it out in the weblink below

http://www.cuttingedge.org/articles/rc109.htm

"the Spouse of the Holy Spirit." That one got me laughing my backside off! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Can anyone explain why this is so?
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 13, 2008
@olaadegbu
Why not look up these other titles of Mary in the book of Jeremiah. We are waiting.

Holy Mary

Holy Mother of God

Holy Virgin of virgins

Mother of Christ

Mother of divine grace

Mother most pure

Mother most chaste

Mother inviolate

Mother undefiled

Mother most amiable

Mother most admirable

Mother of good counsel

Mother of our Creator

Mother of our Savior

Virgin most prudent

Virgin most venerable

Virgin most renouned

Virgin most powerful

Virgin most merciful

Virgin most faithful

Mirror of justice

Seat of wisdom

Cause of our joy

Spiritual vessel

Vessel of honor

Singular vessel of devotion

Mystical rose

Tower of David

Tower of ivory

House of gold

Ark of the covenant

Gate of heaven

Morning star

Health of the sick

Refuge of sinners

Comforter of the afflicted

Help of Christians

Queen of Angels

Queen of Patriarchs

Queen of Prophets

Queen of Apostles

Queen of Martyrs

Queen of Confessors

Queen of Virgins

Queen of all Saints

Queen conceived without original sin

Queen assumed into heaven

Queen of the most holy Rosary

Queen of Peace
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by smile4kenn(m): 3:16pm On May 13, 2008
Mary is the Mother of God,
Queen of heaven and Earth.
Shes special because she was born without original sin(remember, every human on earth was born with original sin). Mary also lived without a sin
She was concieved my the Holy spirit
Prophet Isiah, Moses Prophesized about her.
She was the begining of Jesus Miracles on Earth, during the wedding at canaan.
Angel Gabriel adored her
Jesus asked her to look after us while he was on the cross
She was with the disciples when they received the Holy Spirit from heaven during the pentecost,
Shes is an interceder, a mediator(just like ur mother here on earth)

You call God, "Our Father" but remember to always pray to "Mother of God", shes d greatest interceder
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Lady2(f): 4:44pm On May 13, 2008
From this pagan beginning, the story of the Virgin Mother ( Queen of Heaven) spread throughout the world. In:

Wouldn't this then imply that the Story of the Virgin Mother in the Bible is copying of paganism?

Why is she still the virgin mother in your Bible?

Remove her from it, because according to that article, it is derived from paganism.
Re: Catholic Q&A Thread by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 13, 2008
I love the Catholic church. I was born and bred in the Catholic Church. I cant imagine any other denimination. But, theres something I've never really come to fully appreciate about the church, the issue of Confession, Why confess to a priest?? I could live with the idea of counselling, but confession?? How can a fellow man determine punishment for me for a sin I comitted?? How can saying one decade of the rosary automatically atone for sin?? how the preists be objective in the disbursement of penance??

(1) (2) (Reply)

"boko Haram" Are They Fighting A Just Cause? / Photos Of Praise & Worship Leader, Don Moen With His Grandson's, Hank And Luke / Christianity And The Burden Of Proof...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.