Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

How many Computers in Nigeria? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How many Computers in Nigeria? (4431 Views)

Top 5 Fastest Computers In The World / Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages / The Usefulness Of Computers In The Entertainment Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How many Computers in Nigeria? by obong(m): 12:25pm On Jun 15, 2005
I keep hearing about how many phones there are in Nigeria, but I'm curious about the amount of computers. Is that local manufacturer helping (I can't remember his name now)
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:58pm On Jun 15, 2005
The name of the local manufacturer you're trying to remember is Zinox Computers, and their official website is at: www.zinoxtechnologies.com. They are responsible for a very small percentage of computers bought by small businesses or individuals in Nigeria. (They are mostly patronized by the government and some very large companies.)

Why would you like to know the number of computers in Nigeria? Does it really matter?
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by IAH(f): 2:50pm On Jun 15, 2005
Is Zinox really manufacturing or just assembling?
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by obong(m): 11:38pm On Jun 15, 2005
Seun:

The name of the local manufacturer you're trying to remember is Zinox Computers, and their official website is at: www.zinoxtechnologies.com. They are responsible for a [I]very small[/I] percentage of computers bought by small businesses or individuals in Nigeria. (They are mostly patronized by the government and some very large companies.)

Why would you like to know the number of computers in Nigeria? Does it really matter?

Thanks for the info. I think just like the telephone the number of computers matter. Actualy the computer is more important than the phone. i wanted an idea to know if the people are keeping up with computers at the same rate they are acquiring phones.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by ILN: 6:35am On Jun 16, 2005
IAH:

Is Zinox really manufacturing or just assembling?

Assembling, as they use gigabyte made hard drives and components from different companies. If only there was better infrastructure in Nigeria with which to manufacture. rolleyes
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 9:23am On Jun 16, 2005
ILN, what really is the difference between assembling and manufacturing? Even companies like Dell and HP could be said to be assembling their PCs and laptops since they don't actually produce the components. The components are produced by their predominantly Asian suppliers and assembled by technicians.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... I couldn't find any web references to back up my assertion.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 11:13am On Jun 16, 2005
no you are right dell don't actually make components, usually they use specially customized parts though
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:31am On Jun 16, 2005
The keyboard and the branded case for Zinox computers are specially customized, too. I don't know if other components are. They also produce some laptops, which I assume would have a lot of customized components also.

Who cares? If it works, is affordable, and it comes with a good warranty, then it's good enough for me.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by obong(m): 3:53pm On Jun 16, 2005
Its better to manufacture and assemble though because of the amount of jobs its creates and the likely drop in price due ot not having to ship the computers back in
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by demmy(m): 5:05pm On Jun 17, 2005
Well i don't know about how many computers in Nigeria, but according to Bayelsa Gov. only 350,000 Nigerians are computer literate out of 140 million of us.

350,000 Nigerians computer literate - Alamieyeseigha

BAYELSA State governor, Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, has decried the low level of information technology in the country, disclosing that only 350,000 out of the nation’s 140 million people are computer-literate.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/Fri061705/sitefiles/ss3.html
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by obong(m): 2:15am On Jun 18, 2005
I doubt the number is that low. All those peopl that frequent the internet afes add up to as least 1 million
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 2:41am On Jun 18, 2005
it depends what they actually count as computer literate
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by dick: 5:40am On Jun 19, 2005
I THINK ALL AFRICAN NATION SHOULD BE ONE . grin
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 12:44pm On Jun 19, 2005
Uh wha thas that got to do with anything?
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by obong(m): 5:45pm On Jun 19, 2005
I dont see why there arent as many computers as TV since they cost about the same (depending on the TV and cmputer). With internet phone services, it'd even mak calling cheaper and easier

is zinox the only nigerian company making computers
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by ILN: 12:14am On Jun 20, 2005
Seun:

ILN, what really is the difference between assembling and manufacturing?  Even companies like Dell and HP could be said to be assembling their PCs and laptops since they don't actually produce the components.  The components are produced by their predominantly Asian suppliers and assembled by technicians.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... I couldn't find any web references to back up my assertion.

Looks like you're right about dell & hp wink. Assembling & manufacutring are not at all the same, however, as assembling is making the circuit boards & other components from scratch. It appears that just about ALL manufacturing is done in China and Taiwan, while assembling is done anywhere. Circuitboards for everything from modems, to routers, to computers are made in china & taiwan.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by Red(m): 8:37am On Jun 20, 2005
Zinox have some good stuff.I wish them the best cause they have some really good products.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by obong(m): 3:41am On Jun 30, 2005
http://www.flybellview.com/default.htm

anyone heard of the company omatek?
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by demmy(m): 8:10am On Jun 30, 2005
This is the first I'm hearing of this company. Seem interesting.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by obong(m): 1:08pm On Jun 30, 2005
What does oma mean in yoruba?
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by anton(m): 8:42pm On Oct 18, 2005
Hey, Fellas cool

Now tis is very interesting. I'm gon check those links after i finish this.

But check this out: Isn't true it that US companies get all the circuit boards and logic devices form east asian countries because the asians can do cheaper than over workers in the states; ie they have a very inexpensive labor base?
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by hisgrace(m): 1:10pm On Jan 28, 2008
I saw this post recently, although its old but I noticed the question "How many Computers in Nigeria?" was never answered. I would like to help out and would like other people to give their opinions about the answer I'm giving.
The answer to that question as at Dec 2007 is 1,536,038. This is contained in a report by eShekels Ltd tagged "ICT Forecast and Outlook Database". The company has been delivery valid data in the telecoms industry since 2001 so this answer could be accurate and near accurate.
I would like to know if anybody has contrary opinion to the answer and give valid reference.
Be well.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by zimit(m): 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2008
probably, half a million,
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by nazzyon(m): 9:56pm On Feb 04, 2008
1/2 a million.

Nah.

I know of at least 10 people who own Desktop PC's ranging from 2-5 functioning and Laptop as additional.

Desktop PC's alone will clock 7 - 15 million or even more in the Nigeria. Laptops alone will clock million.

Lots of people own either a Desktop or Laptop computer. While I was waiting @ a Starcomms office after the introduction of EVDO, the attendants sold out more than 20 in under an hour.

The percentages of people who buys computer (Laptop, Desktop, UMPC) increases every year in Nigeria.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by mmonwuba(m): 12:25pm On Feb 05, 2008
i think the no of computer literates in Nigeria is high. depending on ur definition of computer literacy, if it is about sending and receiving mails and searching Google and hacking credit cards, then it is high Because we have a high no of scammers here. check out the no of people waiting to solve one browsing problem or the other in any of the phone companies or isps. Check out the cybercafes and you'll know that computer literacy is increasing exponentially.
Re: How many Computers in Nigeria? by gizmokid(m): 8:52pm On Feb 10, 2008
Looks like you're right about dell & hp Wink. Assembling & manufacutring are not at all the same, however, as assembling is making the circuit boards & other components from scratch. It appears that just about ALL manufacturing is done in China and Taiwan, while assembling is done anywhere. Circuitboards for everything from modems, to routers, to computers are made in china & taiwan.

Thiese companies move their prodution to china cos labour is cheaper there not that the technology is originally from china
zinox Omatech and co use the standard clone structure unlike dell and co that have some propriety structure for their products nobody makes every component of their computers no even Apple.

(1) (Reply)

Which Laptop Can I Buy With A 60 Thousand Naira Budget? / Usb Continues To Disconnect / Please Can I Play Ps3/ps4 Games On Laptop?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.