Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,721 members, 7,824,049 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages (6641 Views)

Top 5 Fastest Computers In The World / The Usefulness Of Computers In The Entertainment Sector / How many Computers in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 06, 2013
Some Nigerians in the Diaspora are currently finalising plans to roll out made-in-Nigeria laptops that would recognise Nigeria’s three ethnic languages of Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa, in a strategic move to promote the nation in the global Information Communication Technology (ICT).

Disclosing this yesterday in Abuja at the Global Institute of Commerce and Technology (GICT), Professor Udochukwu Mbanasa, one of the facilitators of the project, explained that prototypes of the laptops are currently available and fully functional. According to him, the laptops have been produced to encourage study of and preservation of Nigerian languages, in addition to leveraging on the Nigerian brand that would compete favourably with other global brands in terms of quality

Mbansa, who is based in the United States America, however said that the slight delay in rolling out the product was due to branding considerations, as some Nigerians in Diaspora were divided on whether it should bear logos or insignia such as a flying eagle or a green eagle to indicate its country of origin.

He said that Nigerian Diaspora experts, in partnership, built the laptops, which were originally named Globe ICT, with key global ICT manufacturing company. The product, he said, have been built to compete in the international market and made in line with modern computer technology skills. “I am glad to let you know that as we speak, prototype of these laptops are on ground. They have been built to best international standard. They were initially called Globe ICT, but some people said we needed to indigenise them by using names or symbols that indicate Nigeria. Examples are flying eagle, a green eagle among others.

“So, we are yet to finalise on that and as soon as that is done, we would roll out the products. We have also made sure that and they are products that can compete anywhere in the world in terms of quality, speed, durability, and even battery life span.”

Acting Director-General of the Directorate of Technical Cooperation in Africa (DICA), Shuabu Suleiman said the development would open Nigeria to greater opportunities for future growth.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/business/business-news/140107-nigerians-in-diaspora-to-produce-computers-in-local-languages

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by KenJak(m): 12:54am On Dec 06, 2013
Good. We need to let the white people know we're not lagging behind. We're sensible too. May God help you. Thanks for making africa proud.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 06, 2013
This project is very much welcomed. It will give folks in the rural areas, who don't have an intermediate command of English, the opportunity to become IT compliant.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Mamacita007(f): 4:26am On Dec 06, 2013
good idea. i wanna use microsoft word in igbo grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Afam4eva(m): 6:28am On Dec 06, 2013
It it the keyboard that will be in the local languages or the software? I think Zinox did something similar.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 06, 2013
Afam4eva: Is it the keyboard that will be in the local languages or the software? I think Zinox did something similar.
I think it will contain both
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by LadyH(f): 1:08pm On Dec 06, 2013
WOW
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by sonety2k(m): 3:38pm On Dec 08, 2013
cool
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Emmyk(m): 8:07am On Dec 09, 2013
Awesome!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by 9jahubcom(m): 10:12am On Dec 10, 2013
this would be a nice step i think
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by 9jahubcom(m): 10:13am On Dec 10, 2013
CFCfan: This project is very much welcomed. It will give folks in the rural areas, who don't have an intermediate command of English, the opportunity to become IT compliant.
your on point pal
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Otunbab: 10:13am On Dec 10, 2013
Am not Igbo but I think igbo's are the brains in Nigeria. I just pray that every Nigerian do their best to patronize this and not allow another talent go down the drain.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by 9jahubcom(m): 10:14am On Dec 10, 2013
Mamacita007: good idea. i wanna use microsoft word in igbo grin grin
na wa oh..oya na
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by gen2briz(m): 10:14am On Dec 10, 2013
Can wait
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by adezjamz(m): 10:16am On Dec 10, 2013
A good idea but they'll have to teach & make these languages compulsory right from primary school for it to be effective coz using it by us will be another problem.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Sheenor: 10:16am On Dec 10, 2013
Amazing!.....
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:16am On Dec 10, 2013
God bless these dudes. I like innovative lads.
Last Bullet:
This is to remind the FG to step up the urge of learning our indigenious languages in schools.
Expecially private secondary schools.
I v observed that students can't read well our indigenious language unlike english.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by sonickay(m): 10:16am On Dec 10, 2013
They embarked on a hard job. I wish them success in it. Such scheme will take into consideration whole lots of yoruba encylopedia and history. Good luck, it will be nice to read Animal Farm and Oliver Twist in yoruba, igbo and hausa language.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Kingtim(m): 10:21am On Dec 10, 2013
look what apc have caused, after they will be blaim tinibu
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by pmc01(m): 10:23am On Dec 10, 2013
ok
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Segadem(m): 10:24am On Dec 10, 2013
The Redeemed Christian Church Of God is having it again.
Holy Ghost Congress Tagged ``THE OVERFLOW'' Starting Dec.9-14.@Redemption Camp.
Make Sure You Are There To Enjoy God's Overflow Blessing.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Olugbenger(m): 10:28am On Dec 10, 2013
Otunba.b:
Am not Igbo but I think igbo's are the brains in Nigeria. I just pray that every Nigerian do their best to patronize this and not allow another talent go down the drain.

Maybe, we wouldn't have known how s.tupid you are if you didn't make this statement.
smiley

20 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by seangy4konji: 10:29am On Dec 10, 2013
ok
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by dridowu: 10:30am On Dec 10, 2013
Hmmmmm nice innovation, dy shd also do d 1 dat can speak my dialect " Ijebu "..............................cheesy lol
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by gidzbobby: 10:33am On Dec 10, 2013
Calabar needed asap...
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Lifebender(m): 10:35am On Dec 10, 2013
Am impressed.We are moving forward little by little.I just hope Nigerians patronise and buy dis computers...starting from out high ranking officers to the students.

And by the way is this GRIDluck cheesy invention
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Dygeasy(m): 10:35am On Dec 10, 2013
Kingtim: look what apc have caused, after they will be blaim tinibu

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by redsquare(m): 10:36am On Dec 10, 2013
Good development. Like seriously, how many of us write/type or read in our local languages? How many of us use Google/Wikipaedia in Hausa,Igbo or Yoruba? I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I foresee this project failing.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by AdemolaA2: 10:36am On Dec 10, 2013
I know this ain't the right place to post this but just heard Bangalee ft Burna boy-Won da mo and i can't seem to pause the song. on repeat since momo.someone should pls post it here for peeps to feel what i am feeling ooo..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 10, 2013
CFCfan: This project is very much welcomed. It will give folks in the rural areas, who don't have an intermediate command of English, the opportunity to become IT compliant.
and what's the scope for indigenous IT growth? Who needs this? Who will pay for it? The folks behind this arrogantly claim they are building world class products that can compete any where in the world, but common sense dictates that someone has to pay.. will we subsidise this one with free govt money? Someone has to pay..who would? The teeming mass of rural dwellers who can't read in their native language anyway? Meh..like olpc, like most other romantic ideas developed in the west without taking into account the morass of underlying factors at play, this ones doa
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by kambili999(f): 10:37am On Dec 10, 2013
was passing by so tot to drop by n say i was ere.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by matzoro(m): 10:38am On Dec 10, 2013
nobody is taking note of d tribe cos...

For those of us shouting that it wont work, y dnt u wait and see? Was d chinese language a major language last ten years?
Should we fold our hands and allow our languages to die, just cos they are not global languages?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Hynet Issues; Please Help / 10 Best Command Prompt(cmd) Tricks, Tips & Hacks For Windows - 2015 / SHOPPING Or BUSINESS WEBSITE/LANDING PAGE/BLOGS WITH .com.ng/.com FOR SMALL FEE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.