Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

See How This Young Man Turned His Career Around Despite Graduating With A 2.2 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / See How This Young Man Turned His Career Around Despite Graduating With A 2.2 (540 Views)

Advice Someone Who's About To Kickstart His Career In Music Production / Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree / How Your Passion Can Turn Your Life And Your Career Around For Good (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

See How This Young Man Turned His Career Around Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by HiDee2(m): 4:23pm On Nov 06, 2018
As a young graduate, facing life in Nigeria after graduating from the university with a second class lower (2.2) may look really bleak. If you can, study hard to finish with a first class or a second class. But if after all is said and done, should you finish with a 2.2, life does not have to end – you can always turn your career around. This is my true life story.

My initial thought was to only share this story with colleagues on Wastesmart Initiative’s closed Whatsapp group but following the massive feedback from members after I shared it on the group, I realised I had to share my story with the bigger youth population in Nigeria. Thus, my motivation for sharing this personal story of how things took a positive turn in my career is that I hope my story inspires you to find the courage to also turn your career around and go on to fulfill your dreams.

There is no law that guarantees that you will get all that you deserve. So also, there is no law stopping you from getting anything good in life.

I know a young man that graduated with 2.2 from University of Ilorin (Unilorin) Biology Education, Ilorin, Nigeria. However, he has loved Genetics from his High schools days, and desired to do Masters in Genetics & Molecular Biology at the best University in Nigeria, University of Ibadan (UI), Ibadan, Nigeria.

Are you kidding me?

With a 2.2 (Second Class Lower), he was not even convinced he would qualify for a Master’s in any Nigerian University, not to talk of the highly competitive MSc Genetics program at UI… Back then, it looked unattainable. But still, he tried and applied.

He followed his gut, applied, and competed fair and square during the entrance exams and screenings. Eventually, he got the admission.

Upon graduation, he finished as one of the best in his set, published papers in international journals, became renowned for his research and data analysis prowess and all of that.

However, no job for him until he accidentally stumbled on the signpost of a Security Consulting firm while he went to register his MTN SIM card. He walked into the company, applied for job, got invitation for interview and sat to compete with over ten other well qualified applicants with intimidating CVs.

Thank goodness. He got the offer and replaced a Lawyer as Head of Corporate Services. This made his first organised job.

Within two years of joining the company, he was made the Head of the Risk Management Department, a post that enabled him to start attending Management Team Meetings.

Isn’t that unbelievable? From Education Biology to Genetics to Security Consulting.

But the story is not over...

Source:
https://wastesmart.org/2018/11/turn-your-career-around-john-babadara/

Re: See How This Young Man Turned His Career Around Despite Graduating With A 2.2 by falcon01: 4:48pm On Nov 06, 2018
Who cares about your grade? Well Some may but I dont am all about what you can do.

(1) (Reply)

Study Abroad Scholarships In Europe / I Need A Driver For My New Napep I Just Bought / What are the job opportunities for an AWS certified solution architect !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.