Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,720 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians (5154 Views)

Nigeria: Please What Language Is Similar To Hausa In The North? / End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) / Europeans And Asians Learning Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by sherlock229(m): 8:41pm On Nov 13, 2018
why do Yorubas tends to have Asian like features compared to any Nigerian groups.
just an observation .

this is to prove race is just a social construct.

comparison.

just a google search,this two looks really alike lol
simi(Nigerian Yoruba) and chipo Chung(Zimbabwe/Chinese actress)

also Sade the singer have the feature too,she's half white and half yoruba but technically the Yoruba side is what gives her the Asian like looks.

also most Yoruba terracotas have Asian features.

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2018
grin
Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by morpheus24: 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2018
sherlock229:
why do Yorubas tends to have Asian like features compared to any Nigerian groups.
just an observation .

comparison.

just a google search,this two looks really alike lol
simi(Nigerian Yoruba) and chipo Chung(Zimbabwe/Chinese actress)

also Sade the singer have the feature too,she's half white and half yoruba but technically the Yoruba side is what gives her the Asian like looks.

I wouldn't say similar, I would say their eyes are further away from the center of their head that's why.

these people below are the Africans that look more asian

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by sherlock229(m): 11:28pm On Nov 13, 2018
morpheus24:

I wouldn't say similar, I would say their eyes are further away from the center of their head that's why.

these people below are the Africans that look more asian

yeah khoisans looks more Asian especially since they're very light skinned too. but you can't deny Yoruba does share the look too.
Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by morpheus24: 12:09am On Nov 14, 2018
sherlock229:

yeah khoisans looks more Asian especially since they're very light skinned too. but you can't deny Yoruba does share the look too.

Their facial morphology is similar to that of Asians who also carry the same type of eyefolds as well.

Yoruba do not have these eyefolds.

The lighter variant of skin tones in the khoi I would attribute to adaptation and natural selection to their sub tropical environment, They are closer to the color of the Kalahari desert and further away from the sun that is hottest around the equator

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by HarryDuce(m): 11:09am On Nov 14, 2018
morpheus24:

Their facial morphology is similar to that of Asians who also carry the same type of eyefolds as well.

Yoruba do not have these eyefolds.

The lighter variant of skin tones in the khoi I would attribute to adaptation and natural selection to their sub tropical environment, They are closer to the color of the Kalahari desert and further away from the sun that is hottest around the equator
I beg to differ. The regions just outside the equator are the hottest and the Kalahari is just outside the equator. Low humidity and dryness are peculiar to the regions that fall in this category. There are many factors responsible for this. Also, The equator is not the hottest but humidity is very high. The situation can be likened to Sahara also where the natives are not as dark as their neighbours down south in spite of the heat.

I agree with the bold.
Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by morpheus24: 4:29pm On Nov 14, 2018
HarryDuce:
I beg to differ. The regions just outside the equator are the hottest and the Kalahari is just outside the equator. Low humidity and dryness are peculiar to the regions that fall in this category. There are many factors responsible for this. Also, The equator is not the hottest but humidity is very high. The situation can be likened to Sahara also where the natives are not as dark as their neighbours down south in spite of the heat.

I agree with the bold.

There is a correlation with skin tone and distance from the equator though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by HarryDuce(m): 4:52pm On Nov 14, 2018
morpheus24:

There is a correlation with skin tone and distance from the equator though
Yes. I wasn't disputing. I was just stating the fact that the equatorial belt is not the hottest but the regions just outside it.

But i see now that it's not relevant to the point you're trying to make so, carry on.
Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 14, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Many Yorubas seem to look somewhere between Ghanaian and Guinean.
This may be true. There is this Ethiopian lady that could pass for Omowunmi's sister. Funny thing is she's also a model.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by morpheus24: 8:54pm On Nov 14, 2018
ariketalks:

grin grin grin grin
Many Yorubas seem to look somewhere between Ghanaian and Guinean.

This may be true. There is this Ethiopian lady that could pass for Omowunmi's sister. Funny thing is she's also a model.

Yoruba's to me look more similar to groups in close proximity with them to the west of Africa such as togoloese, benin republic and ivory coast and less like the groups to the east of them such as efik, Ibibio, Fang and so on

I have been mistook for an Ethiopian male before but specifically an oromo male, so there are some groups of people within Africa that can pass for other groups with distinct looks, after all we all cluster phenotypical together than people with zero to no African genetics.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 14, 2018
morpheus24:

Yoruba's to me look more similar to groups in close proximity with them to the west of Africa such as togoloese, benin republic and ivory coast and less like the groups to the east of them such as efik, Ibibio, Fang and so on

I have been mistook for an Ethiopian male before but specifically an oromo male, so there are some groups of people within Africa that can pass for other groups with distinct looks, after all we all cluster phenotypical together than people with zero to no African genetics.
Are you Yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by morpheus24: 9:23pm On Nov 14, 2018
ariketalks:

Are you Yoruba?
Nope

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 14, 2018
morpheus24:

Nope
Okay
Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by OyinbowithaTan(m): 3:45am On Nov 16, 2018
Lots of Africans, Asians, Europeans look very similar if an adjustment to skin color is made.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by morpheus24: 12:08am On Nov 17, 2018
OyinbowithaTan:
Lots of Africans, Asians, Europeans look very similar if an adjustment to skin color is made.

their cranio metric, skeletal structure and face morphology are often different which is why anthropologists and the likes are able to discern what so called "racial" type skeletal remains clusters with.

Africa has the most diverse genetic makeup therefore it is not impossible for African people to display morphology, craniometrics or features that exist outside of the continent.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by tck2000(m): 8:10pm On Jan 11, 2020
sherlock229:

Re: Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians by ABCthings: 11:42pm On Jan 11, 2020
Nice keep the discussion rolling...

(1) (Reply)

Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land / How Did You Learn Your Language? / Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.