Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land (5155 Views)

Artificial Rain Making: How Is It Done? / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land / Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by redsun(m): 11:40am On Jul 30, 2009
There are men reputed for rain making and prevention  in my part of nigeria(east)They are usually consulted on big occasions and ceremonies to prevent rain from falling and if not consulted,as believed,they are said to make the sky piss down non stop and disrupt the occasion.The men are usually seen as disruptive sorcerers in the society and when they die,on their interment day,for some coincidental reasons rain never stop pissing and in some extreme cases,they are buried in flooded graves.

For those that have a hint of what i am talking about,how realistic is this superstition or rather phenomenon? can people induce or prevent rain?
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by Thor(m): 11:43am On Jul 30, 2009
Absolute 100% nonsense and only stupid, illiterate and uneducated people would believe such rubbish.

If it is going to rain it is going to rain  grin grin grin
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by redsun(m): 11:51am On Jul 30, 2009
The society tend to take it seriously and for reason the so-called rainmakers make money from it and it just similar to a pastor or iman making money from praying for people for success in their endeavours.

1 Like

Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by redsun(m): 12:03pm On Jul 30, 2009
Al unproven beliefs are superstious and hypnotic,be it oyinbo,arabic or african beliefs.
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by ifyalways(f): 12:29pm On Jul 30, 2009
Omo,i no fit shout. grin
D thing dey my mama place,they are rainmakers.lol
The fact is in as much as it looks superstitious,one fact that cant be ignored is that the rainmakers read the weather and keep records of changes and seasons,reason some of them are successful and are accurate with their predictions.
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by MrCrackles(m): 12:31pm On Jul 30, 2009
Thor:

Absolute 100% nonsense and only stupid, illiterate and uneducated people would believe such rubbish.

If it is going to rain it is going to rain grin grin grin

GBAM! grin
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by MrCrackles(m): 12:35pm On Jul 30, 2009
I remember last year when i was in Nigeria. . . I spent some time with my nephews

We were all gisting in front of the telly, and had him playing with the remote

The dude mustav planned to prove something to us all as well as send some information across on the day

So roll on, NTA news weatherman, came around and predicted "IT IS GOING TO RAIN TOMORROW"

The lil boy just shouted, "IT IS A LIE" shocked shocked shocked grin

We asked him "what is a lie?"

His response - "they said it was going to rain two days ago, it didnt, they said it yesterday, it didnt - So they must be liars. . . .  grin

We all laughed!

ONE LESSON - Never predict what only God is capable of making happen!
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by ifyalways(f): 12:37pm On Jul 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

I remember last year when i was in Nigeria. . . I spent some time with my nephews

We were all gisting in front of the telly, and had him playing with the remote

The dude mustav planned to prove something to us all as well as send some information across on the day

So roll on, NTA news weatherman, came around and predicted "IT IS GOING TO RAIN TOMORROW"

The lil boy just shouted, "IT IS A LIE" shocked shocked shocked grin

We asked him "what is a lie?"

His response - "they said it was going to rain to days ago, it didnt, they said it yesterday, it didnt - So they must be liars. . . . grin

We all laughed!

ONE LESSON - Never predict what only God is capable of making happen!

rofl
Maybe it did not rain in ur part/side of Abeokuta  cheesy
BTW,its not only the traditional rainmakers,what abt preachers that claim to hold the rain druing crusades and seminars and "agents of devil" that claim to "send down the rain" to disrupt christain activites ?
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by redsun(m): 2:30pm On Jul 30, 2009
ifyalways:

Omo,i no fit shout.  grin
D thing dey my mama place,they are rainmakers.lol
The fact is in as much as it looks superstitious,one fact that cant be ignored is that the rainmakers read the weather and keep records of changes and seasons,reason some of them are successful and are accurate with their predictions.

We seems to have lost all natural intuitions and observations that was pass down to us by our ancestor to oyinbo and arab ideas,cultures,beliefs and traditions that we can never understand.We have lost all the original ideas of the world we live in and that is why we are totally confuse as a peopl.,All creatures are born with natural intuitions for survival,without it,survival is impossible.

Just months ago here in england,there was a widely publicised predictions by the met office that this summer will a barbeque summer but at this moment in time,it is nothing but wet and gloomy summer  .
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by mamag3: 6:42pm On Aug 04, 2009
That's nonsense.
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by tamme: 7:19pm On Sep 24, 2009
its actually true
my friend from Imo state told me about it
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by udezue(m): 3:03am On Sep 25, 2009
rubbish. never heard of it and i'm igbo born and bred in igbo land
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by presido1: 9:18am On Sep 25, 2009
It happens, you believing it or not does not change anything. I have seen it with my two eyes, a rain maker made the rain fall on 24th of december.When he was consulted with some money and hot drinks he did the reverse and the rain stopped. This is not a case of somebody told me or something. Their are rain makers in Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by udezue(m): 11:47am On Sep 25, 2009
All deez broke ass niggaz tryna make it rain but when I do my thang I make it HURRICANE grin
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by fingard02k(m): 11:53am On Sep 25, 2009
You can say what ever you like,if you like belive it ,if you dont like dont belive it but all i gotta say is that it happens thier is no lie about it and for you that said you were born and grew up in Igboland and never believe or heard of it  (let me not use offencieve words) you are a big liar,I myself was born in east and grew up here in east i know alot about my ethnic and tribe very well so for you all that said that its not possible or that it cant be true believe me its true it does happen i have witnessed the even many times and confirmed it.Chelu kam tunye gi azu e.g haven't you gone to crusade in summer where pastor or preacher is saying that "evil people or enemies  of the even had send rain to disturb the crusade but he the pastor or the preacher will stop it  with the name of Jesus" which i have witnessed many times and it does stop.so shot your mouth up if you dont believe or know thier is supernatural power in this planet earth

1 Like

Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by sayso: 12:06pm On Sep 25, 2009
is that thing still possible?
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 12:24pm On Sep 25, 2009
sayso:

is that thing still possible?
So, are you saying that you believe it was once possible?
Re: Rain Making And Prevention In Igbo Land by ifyalways(f): 2:15pm On Sep 25, 2009
udezue:

rubbish. never heard of it and i'm igbo born and bred in igbo land
u are funny.so cos u think u are born and brought up in igboland and have never heard of this makes it [i]rubbish? [/i]what BS.

(1) (Reply)

How Did You Learn Your Language? / Yoruba Facial Features Is Similar To Asians / Why Do Nigerians Speak Fake Fune, Especially Outside Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.