Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,923 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG (5618 Views)

What Are The Functions Of NAFDAC? 17 NAFDAC Functions Listed. / Nasiru Gwarzo: 80% Of Kano Coronavirus Samples Test Positive / COVID-19: Countries With More Than 80% Recovery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by dre11(m): 7:19am On Nov 14, 2018
Dayo Ojerinde

The Director- General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control , Prof Mojisola Adeyeye , has said that 80 per cent of the equipment belonging to the agency has not been working .

Adeyeye made the statement on Monday in Lagos while receiving members of the Senate Committee on Health who were on a tour of federal health institutions in the state .

She said , “80 per cent of our equipment is no longer working and that is a major challenge to deliver on our mandate . The last time , the World Health Organisation visited our laboratory in Yaba , they scored us zero . ”

The NAFDAC DG also complained that the agency was understaffed and awaiting the approval of the Head of Service of the Federation to recruit more personnel.
On the debt profile of the agency , Adeyeye said she met a debt of N 3 . 2 bn when she assumed office , but she was able to reduce it to N 400 m .

The Vice - Chairman of the committee, Senator Clifford Ordia , urged the NAFDAC boss to jettison the idea of procurring buses manufactured abroad and patronise locally made vehicles in order to help grow the economy .

The Chairman Senate Committee on Health, Senator Lanre Tejuosho , commended Adeyeye for her efforts in revamping the agency .

Tejuosho , however , told the DG to prioritise the needs of the agency and present them to the Ministry of Health so that it would reflect in the 2019 budget.

The committee also visited on-going projects at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital , Idi - Araba , the Federal Medical Centre, Ebute Meta , Federal Neuro- Psychiatrist Hospital, Yaba and the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi .

Speaking with journalists at the end of the exercise , Tejuosho said the general observation in all the places the team visited was the problem of funding and prompt release of fund to the hospitals .

“ Most of them have only received about 10 per cent of their 2018 capital budget , which makes it difficult for us to blame them for lack of performance. We cannot expect them to do a lot with only 10 per cent of the fund they need for the whole year .

“ We chose the institutions that we visited today because they are the institution our people need to reverse medical tourism. Like the National Orthopaedic Hospital in Igbobi , they must be given special attention. This is because once you have an orthopeadic case , it is very difficult to be flown abroad until you are stabilised , ” Tejuosho said.

He also promised that his committee would ensure the improvement of the budget appropriation for the hospitals , as well as appeal to the Federal Government to make enough funds available to the health sector.

https://punchng.com/80-of-nafdacs-equipment-not-working-dg/
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by MetroBaba1(m): 7:27am On Nov 14, 2018
Everything in this Country exhibits 'Lifelessness'

12 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by nzeobi(m): 7:39am On Nov 14, 2018
embarassed immediately Dora akunyili left NAFDAC, that agency became comatose.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by princechurchill(m): 7:56am On Nov 14, 2018
If 80% of the equipment are no longer working how are they now approving drugs when it can't be tested properly

Why is my country like this Lord?
Why did u allow Lord luggard to join us?
Why is our leaders heartless and senseless?
Why did you use Nigeria to swear for me?

Lord am sorry if i wronged you in my previous country just take away this reproach from me and my fellow good citizens we don't deserve this.

31 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Nbote(m): 7:58am On Nov 14, 2018
D only thing dat made NAFDAC work all those years was Mrs Dora Akinyili of blessed memory... I can't remember her complaining of equipments or poor funding... Her zeal and work spoke for her and got her all d attention she needed

22 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Jman06(m): 8:54am On Nov 14, 2018
It's very unfortunate that an agency like NAFDAC that generates funds for the government is starved of funds while some other useless agencies get all the funds.
The government should stop playing politics with agencies like NAFDAC considering the critical roles they play in safeguarding people's lives...

2 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by dan900(m): 8:56am On Nov 14, 2018
no surprise.i wonder why an agency as big as NAFDAC should be in such mess. Nigeria, which way forward.

If earning N3k daily is not too small for you. Holla me. Let me open your eyes to empty carton biz. You can do it from anywhere. Holla me NOW. Check my signature for contact. It is so sweet.

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by TaiKuun(m): 8:57am On Nov 14, 2018
I doubt the remaining 20% sef.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 14, 2018
princechurchill:
If 80% of the equipment are no longer working how are they now approving drugs when it can't be tested properly?

Good question

Perhaps he didn't understand the full implication of what he was saying...
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Lilimax(f): 8:57am On Nov 14, 2018
Dora Akunyili of the blessed memory gave her best in NAFDAC
Her efforts shall never be in vain.

The rut in NAFDAC is exactly what is happening in all government parastatals in this Buhari's regime.
Every system has been infected with 'lifelessness'

2 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by naijacentric(m): 8:58am On Nov 14, 2018
May dora soul continue to rest in peace dats all i can say
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by jericco1(m): 8:59am On Nov 14, 2018
to think that NAFDAC gets budget year in year doesn't seem reasonable. I wonder how they detect fake goods.
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Racoon(m): 8:59am On Nov 14, 2018
Yet there are budgetary provision but they're being seriously embezzled.From NAFDAC, NEMA, NNPC, VON office(Ikoyi), NIHS, National Hospital Abuja to the DSS etc It's the same sad story.

The APC regime and virtually every agency under it are all enmeshed in one corruption scandal or the other because the government have long legalized corruption. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Lusola15: 8:59am On Nov 14, 2018
They want to go on another spending spree
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by mickybrown98: 9:00am On Nov 14, 2018
the poor infracstruture in nigeria is really alarming

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by CodeTemplar: 9:00am On Nov 14, 2018
No surprises there.
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Bitterleafsoup: 9:02am On Nov 14, 2018
You just noticed after how many years?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by inspector44(m): 9:06am On Nov 14, 2018
Then why is she there as a DG........... Government of complains
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Corrinthians(m): 9:06am On Nov 14, 2018
NAFDAC died with aunty Dora. Orhii buried it. angry
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Sealeddeal(m): 9:07am On Nov 14, 2018
They will be going about seizing goods without NAFDAC number while those with the number are not certified good and cannot be certified
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 9:14am On Nov 14, 2018
Nigeria no easy. Meanwhile for those on active sub on access and family package,check my last thread for compact sports
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by legibow: 9:17am On Nov 14, 2018
That one too, you will mention Buhari again ba.... That means all date on drugs and goods are not real ba.... We are not safe in this country
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by kevoh(m): 9:20am On Nov 14, 2018
It's not just NAFDAC, many agencies also have 60 to 80% of equipment not functioning! There is proof on paper that funds are budgeted for these equipment, whether or not the Agencies receive these funds or not and do or do not carry out equipment installations or upgrade is another story! I just tire for Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by joeyswift(m): 9:26am On Nov 14, 2018
Odudugboree. That means don't trust any drug or food with nafdac reg no because it has not been properly tested. Finally MA God dey save person
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by KanwuliaExtra: 9:28am On Nov 14, 2018
When they give you money, you embezzle it.
Now you are shouting? undecided
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by velocity25(m): 9:30am On Nov 14, 2018
what is better for this big for nothing Dark-area called nigeria is to divide
Re: 80% Of Nafdac’s Equipment Not Working – DG by Xisnin(m): 9:32am On Nov 14, 2018
Nbote:
D only thing dat made NAFDAC work all those years was Mrs Dora Akinyili of blessed memory... I can't remember her complaining of equipments or poor funding... Her zeal and work spoke for her and got her all d attention she needed
nzeobi:
embarassed immediately Dora akunyili left NAFDAC, that agency became comatose.

Do you think Dora was testing drugs with her fingers?
The lifeless one doesn't care because he is getting his drugs and medical care from foreign countries.
Nothing works without money.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Health Benefits Of Corn Pap Commonly Known As Akamu, Ogi Or Eko / I Need To Get Pregnant But I Havent Seen My Period In Three Months / Sure Ways To Get Rid Of That Yellow Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.