Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,387 members, 7,815,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry (4425 Views)

Roman Catholicism Is Idolatry And True Christianity Is Gnosis / 3 Lessons To Learn From Mary And Martha / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Nov 14, 2018
Roman Catholicism, Mary and Idolatry

Roman Catholics have an extremely high view of Mary and have attributed some astounding characteristics and abilities to her, such as her interceding for us, atoning for us, and delivering our souls from damnation: (See documentation below)

https://carm.org/roman-catholicism-mary-idolatry?

1 Share

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Righteousness89(m): 12:19pm On Nov 14, 2018
The Bible states Clearly

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....

Not thru
Mary
Peter
John
James
Paul or whoever or Whatever....

Mary was only a vessels thru which The savior of The Earth came through on Earth! Nothing more! She is just as any other woman..

Mary herself will not be happy about all that she is being used for here on earth!

Honoring or worshipping Mary is An act of idolatry!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Mizwisdom(f): 1:57pm On Nov 14, 2018
Righteousness89:
The Bible states Clearly

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....

Not thru
Mary
Peter
John
James
Paul or whoever or Whatever....

Mary was only a vessels thru which The savior of The Earth came through on Earth! Nothing more! She is just as any other woman..

Mary herself will not be happy about all that she is being used for here on earth!

Honoring or worshipping Mary is An act of idolatry!!

You are free to believe what you want, allow others to exercise the same freedom of choice

2 Likes

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:25pm On Nov 14, 2018
Mizwisdom:

You are free to believe what you want, allow others to exercise the same freedom of choice

Yes, 'you are free to believe what you want' but you must also be aware that you will be accountable to God for the choices you made from your free will. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Righteousness89(m): 4:09pm On Nov 14, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Did I Block you from your Freedom...

How are u speaking for others? How many person are u?
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by josh123(m): 4:45pm On Nov 14, 2018
All Catholics are idol worshippers,they all bow down to an image which they refer to as mary.The bible specifically told us not to bow down to any graven imge.The Pope and other priest have deceived so many people from time memorial ,moreover i suspect the pope is a Freemasonry. CHRISTIANS ALWAYS READ UR BIBLE

1 Like

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:39pm On Nov 16, 2018
Where is Ubenedictus when you need him, to explain how the OP is wrong? undecided
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Dnaz(m): 9:23pm On Nov 16, 2018
Is it ur Idolatory? @ OP

3 Likes

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Ubenedictus(m): 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2018
josh123:
All Catholics are idol worshippers,they all bow down to an image which they refer to as mary.The bible specifically told us not to bow down to any graven imge.The Pope and other priest have deceived so many people from time memorial ,moreover i suspect the pope is a Freemasonry. CHRISTIANS ALWAYS READ UR BIBLE
what about those who bowed and prostrated before images in the Bible... people like Joshua?

1 Like

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Ubenedictus(m): 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:
Where is Ubenedictus when you need him, to explain how the OP is wrong? undecided
why am I not surprised that certain Protestants selectively quote scripture without context.

2 Likes

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by josh123(m): 3:16pm On Nov 17, 2018
Ubenedictus:
what about those who bowed and prostrated before images in the Bible... people like Joshua?
tell me d chapters and verse u saw it
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by orunto27: 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2018
Mary is a Special S A I N T like Noah, Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Elisha, John The Baptist and The Apostles other than Judas.
Catholicism generally don't worship Mary but revere Her as a Special Prophet of God to qualify for The Prayers of The Saints.

1 Like

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLUWABIG(m): 11:04am On Nov 18, 2018
orunto27:
Mary is a Special S A I N T like Noah, Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Elisha, John The Baptist and The Apostles other than Judas.
Catholicism generally don't worship Mary but revere Her as a Special Prophet of God to qualify for The Prayers of The Saints.

how is Mary a prophet
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by orunto27: 12:51pm On Nov 18, 2018
OLUWABIG:

how is Mary a prophet

Direct Messengers of God are Prophets. Mary was one. She worked for God. Direct Messengers of Jesus Christ are Apostles.
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Ubenedictus(m): 8:43pm On Nov 19, 2018
josh123:
tell me d chapters and verse u saw it

Joshua 7:6

Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell facedown to
the ground before the ark of the LORD, remaining
there till evening. The elders of Israel did the
same, and sprinkled dust on their heads.

in case you forgot, the ark is simply a box with a staff and manna inside with two big moldings of angel aka cherubs on top.
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:00pm On Nov 20, 2018
Ubenedictus:

why am I not surprised that certain Protestants selectively quote scripture without context.

Are you saying that scriptures quoted by the OP is without context? undecided
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by AryEmber(f): 6:18pm On Nov 20, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Abegi, are you not the Op?
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by josh123(m): 10:11pm On Nov 20, 2018
Ubenedictus:

in case you forgot, the ark is simply a box with a staff and manna inside with two big moldings of angel aka cherubs on top.
During DAT time d ark of God represent d present and glory of God,God told them to worship him.Mary is just a mare mortal like u and i,and Catholics decided to worship her. She was only previledged to b d mother of Jesus,any other virgin woman can b d mother of jesus

1 Like

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by LordReed(m): 7:31am On Nov 21, 2018
josh123:
During DAT time d ark of God represent d present and glory of God,God told them to worship him.Mary is just a mare mortal like u and i,and Catholics decided to worship her. She was only previledged to b d mother of Jesus,any other virgin woman can b d mother of jesus

So they worshipped an image representing god?

3 Likes

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:41am On Nov 21, 2018
AryEmber:

Abegi, are you not the Op?

I thought OP means opening post, no? undecided
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by AryEmber(f): 8:45am On Nov 21, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

I thought OP means opening post, no? undecided
Really? Funny, I thought it means 'Original Poster'
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:27pm On Nov 21, 2018
AryEmber:

Really? Funny, I thought it means 'Original Poster'

Let's ask the administrators. wink
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:46pm On Nov 28, 2018
Ubenedictus:

The Ark of the Covenant represented the presence of the Lord. Does the image of Mary represent the same? undecided
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by jnrbayano(m): 7:16pm On Nov 28, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

The Ark of the Covenant represented the presence of the Lord. Does the image of Mary represent the same? undecided

You no dey tire?
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23pm On Nov 29, 2018
jnrbayano:

You no dey tire?

Tired for shining the light? Naa.

1 Share

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Ubenedictus(m): 7:47pm On Dec 03, 2018
josh123:

the ark is simply pieces of wood and gold consecrated for God's service. it represents God's glory correct.

Mary is truly a creature of God, who was greatly graced, and is now living in his Glory, she is not just a representation of Gods Glory, in her God has manifested his glory
the ark was just a representation, in Mary we see a reality of glory called grace.
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Ubenedictus(m): 8:27pm On Dec 03, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

I'm saying the op is cherry picking scripture
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2018
Ubenedictus:

the ark is simply pieces of wood and gold consecrated for God's service. it represents God's glory correct.

Mary is truly a creature of God, who was greatly graced, and is now living in his Glory, she is not just a representation of Gods Glory, in her God has manifested his glory
the ark was just a representation, in Mary we see a reality of glory called grace.

If Mary is more of the presence of God as represented in the Ark then you are more than welcome to bow down before her image and worship the 'mother of God.'

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Ihateyoumod: 2:10pm On Dec 09, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

If Mary is more of the presence of God as represented in the Ark then you are more than welcome to bow down before her image and worship the 'mother of God.'

Firstly no catholic worships Mary, Mary is not God. Catholics only respect her because of her virtues and the critical role she played in our salvation. God could have done it without her, but in his wisdom he chose her, for him to chose her above every other woman den she is to be respected. If I can see my earthly mother, kneel down and greet her ( which by any means doesn't mean I'm worship her) den , I can also kneel down as a sign of respect and greet and respect the mother of God.

You are not God to determine worship or not. Do not judge my friend

1 Like

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:06pm On Dec 09, 2018
Ihateyoumod:

Firstly no catholic worships Mary, Mary is not God. Catholics only respect her because of her virtues and the critical role she played in our salvation. God could have done it without her, but in his wisdom he chose her, for him to chose her above every other woman den she is to be respected. If I can see my earthly mother, kneel down and greet her ( which by any means doesn't mean I'm worship her) den , I can also kneel down as a sign of respect and greet and respect the mother of God.

You are not God to determine worship or not. Do not judge my friend

See the documentation tabulated in the OP and check it against the references below and then try justifying why you do not practise idolatry.

1. Catholic Encyclopedia, Tradition and the Living Magisterium
2. Catholic Encyclopedia, Idolatry
3. vatican.va
4. newadvent.org
5. history.hanover.edu/texts/trent.html
6. cin.org/vatiidoc.html
7. scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
8. Dr. Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Tan Books and Publishers Inc, Rockford Ill. 1974
9. Rev. Peter M.J. Stravinskas, Phd., S.T.D., Our Sunday Visitor Publishing Division, Huntington IN, 2002
10. Summa Theologica, 2nd Part of the 2nd Part, Questions 93, newadvent.org/summa/3093.htm
11. Strong, J. (1996). The exhaustive concordance of the Bible : Showing every word of the text of the common English version of the canonical books, and every occurrence of each word in regular order. (electronic ed.) (H7812). Ontario: Woodside Bible Fellowship.
12. Fundamentals of Catholic dogma, Ott, page 213
13. Vatican Website: Encyclical of Pope Leo 13th on the Rosary, Octobri Mense, Pope Leo 13th, 1903-1914
14. CCC 966
15. CCC par. 969
16. The Vatican Website translates this verse as, "I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written, so that none of you will be inflated with pride in favor of one person over against another.
17. Catholic Encyclopedia, Idolatry
18. Catholyc Encyclopedia, Altar of Our Lady
19. Catholic Encyclopedia, Adoration
20. Labor Pain is part of the curse and Mary is not supposed to be under the curse. Therefore she would not have felt labor pains and this could not refer to her.

Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by Ihateyoumod: 3:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

See the documentation tabulated in the OP and check it against the references below and then try justifying why you do not practise idolatry.

1. Catholic Encyclopedia, Tradition and the Living Magisterium
2. Catholic Encyclopedia, Idolatry
3. vatican.va
4. newadvent.org
5. history.hanover.edu/texts/trent.html
6. cin.org/vatiidoc.html
7. scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
8. Dr. Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Tan Books and Publishers Inc, Rockford Ill. 1974
9. Rev. Peter M.J. Stravinskas, Phd., S.T.D., Our Sunday Visitor Publishing Division, Huntington IN, 2002
10. Summa Theologica, 2nd Part of the 2nd Part, Questions 93, newadvent.org/summa/3093.htm
11. Strong, J. (1996). The exhaustive concordance of the Bible : Showing every word of the text of the common English version of the canonical books, and every occurrence of each word in regular order. (electronic ed.) (H7812). Ontario: Woodside Bible Fellowship.
12. Fundamentals of Catholic dogma, Ott, page 213
13. Vatican Website: Encyclical of Pope Leo 13th on the Rosary, Octobri Mense, Pope Leo 13th, 1903-1914
14. CCC 966
15. CCC par. 969
16. The Vatican Website translates this verse as, "I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written, so that none of you will be inflated with pride in favor of one person over against another.
17. Catholic Encyclopedia, Idolatry
18. Catholyc Encyclopedia, Altar of Our Lady
19. Catholic Encyclopedia, Adoration
20. Labor Pain is part of the curse and Mary is not supposed to be under the curse. Therefore she would not have felt labor pains and this could not refer to her.

The OP quoted scripture literally, he has a very shallow understanding of scripture. Moses made a bronze serpent, didn't the law of not making graven images apply to him.

Ur defense would be he was commanded to do so. My response is, is God confused??....y would he say thou shall not graven images and den go against his own law asking moses to make an image. Couldn't he have saved them withoit using an image??....pls answer this last question. Finding an answer to tht question will open ur mind to the fact tht u don't read one portion of the Bible n begin to judge others like Pharisees do.
Re: Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:52pm On Dec 09, 2018
Ihateyoumod:

The OP quoted scripture literally, he has a very shallow understanding of scripture. Moses made a bronze serpent, didn't the law of not making graven images apply to him.

Have you read the second column where he compares the scriptures with your church traditions?

Ihateyoumod:

Ur defense would be he was commanded to do so. My response is, is God confused??....y would he say thou shall not graven images and den go against his own law asking moses to make an image. Couldn't he have saved them withoit using an image??....pls answer this last question. Finding an answer to tht question will open ur mind to the fact tht u don't read one portion of the Bible n begin to judge others like Pharisees do.

God commanded that they should look on the bronze serpent to be healed He did not say that they should worship and bow down to the bronze serpent. You will not find the Israelites looking on any bronze serpent after that episode except many years after when they started to idolise this image. Today God commands us to look unto Jesus who is the author and finisher of our faith, not bowing down before Mary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Killed More People In The Bible, 'God' Or 'Satan'? / Daily Ramadan Dua: From DAY 1 To DAY 30 / A Demon Spoted At The Top Of A Church In Italy(with Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.