Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,471 members, 7,830,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 (544 Views)

MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 / How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market / Nigeria Remains Africa’s Largest Smartphone Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Pweetyteey: 7:15pm On Nov 15, 2018
Transsion Holdings, the parent company behind Chinese TECNO, Infinix and itel mobile recorded its highest ever share in the Nigeria smartphone sales for Q3 according to a research carried out by Counterpoint. The third quarter statistics for smartphone market share in Nigeria for 2018 reveals the Shanghai-based company dominating with a total market share of 41%, Samsung and Huawei mobile completes the top 5.

Nigeria’s smartphone sales also grew by 8% in Q3 due to new phones being launched and the increase in the number of smartphone users. Measuring individually, Samsung tops the smartphone market share with 29% with TECNO Mobile coming at second place with 22%, however, TECNO dominates the feature phone market share in Nigeria boasting 39% ahead of its closest rival itel at 38% whose major focus is on feature phones.

Speaking on Transsion’s dominance, a Research Analyst at Counterpoint stated, “The Transsion Group has taken a lead in both the feature phone and smartphone segments in Nigeria. The combined share of its brands, Tecno, Itel and Infinix, reached an all-time high in the third quarter of 2018, driven by its affordable offerings, advanced features and strong distribution network. The OEM also launched its affordable Android Go offering during the quarter which started off well, especially the 3G version.”

Due to the increase in smartphone penetration, internet users in Nigeria reached 140 million in July 2018. Counterpoint Research’s Associate Director, Tarun Pathak has this to say;

“The increasing number of internet subscribers is attributed to the reduced prices of smartphones and rising purchasing power of the citizens, reflecting the end of the recessionary cycle and the relative stability of the Nigerian currency. The growth in internet users along with upcoming investments by tech giants in the digital content space is creating a favourable ecosystem to promote Nigeria’s technology sector. Having said that, we believe that both feature phones and smartphones will stay relevant in the Nigeria market for some time. There are ecosystem players like KaiOS that are further working with OEMs and operators to launch affordable 3G/4G feature phones for ‘bottom-of-the-pyramid users where entry-level smartphone penetration remains modest”.

Infinix emerged as the fastest growing brand with its Hot 6 and Hot 6 Pro accounting for 38% of its total phone sales in Q3. Fellow Transsion brand, TECNO had its biggest sales with budget-device, Spark 2 selling the most.

The smartphone market share in Nigeria is expected to grow sequentially in Q4 2018 and next year 2019 with the entry of new players such as Tambo, Oppo and many more.

https://howtotechnaija.com/transsion-group-dominate-smartphone-market-share-in-nigeria-q3-2018/

Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by psoul12: 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2018
With this its total taking over the Nigerian Market and controlling the mobile phone industry....

This is the best thing so far, as so many tecno product are now very economically to purchase and with advanced features that can be compared with big phones ...

I just bought the tecno spark 2 after my iPhone was stolen just because its was cost friendly n the phone has been serving the purpose.

Nice article

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by leonard002(m): 7:33pm On Nov 15, 2018
Well, all budget smartphones. What do you expect
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Abiodunspectre(m): 8:38pm On Nov 15, 2018
Congratulations to transsion
Well deserved.
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Olodo24: 9:07pm On Nov 15, 2018
LuciferMessiah:
Poverty originates from Nigeria so why won't sub-standard & cheap products sell faster?

People can't afford real smartphones like Samsung & Apple so they settle for scrap plastic and force them to perform the functions of a phone.
12 months later, the scrap packs up & the gormless idiots are back looking for a new phone - inadvertently spending more money in the long-run than Apple / Samsung users.

Poverty is truly expensive.

If you're reading this comment from a device other than a Samsung, Apple, Sony Xperia or HTC, may thunder fire you & your entire extended family if you ever quote me on Nairaland again.

Bastards.

*spits angry
whether big budget or low budget, I don't just like using a phone for so long unless it's a side chick i.e a phone that serves as an extra hand to my major phone. So I take specs over durability. But I've never used a Tecno phone before. I prefer Samsung for a major phone. I've been using an infinix hot 4 as a n extra phone since October 2016 and so far, it has tried. My Galaxy S8 is still going strong
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Rubiesangel: 9:26pm On Nov 15, 2018
Transsion has a robust marketing style, which gives them the competitive edge.
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Yyvonne: 4:48am On Nov 16, 2018
Happy for them... They really deserve it
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Ejadike(m): 6:17am On Nov 16, 2018
These people just cashed in big on the biggest market in Africa
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Ejadike(m): 6:19am On Nov 16, 2018
LuciferMessiah:
Poverty originates from Nigeria so why won't sub-standard & cheap products sell faster?

People can't afford real smartphones like Samsung & Apple so they settle for scrap plastic and force them to perform the functions of a phone.
12 months later, the scrap packs up & the gormless idiots are back looking for a new phone - inadvertently spending more money in the long-run than Apple / Samsung users.

If you're reading this comment from a device other than a Samsung, Apple, Sony Xperia or HTC, may thunder fire you & your entire extended family if you ever quote me on Nairaland again.

Bastards.

*spits angry
Guy, not everyone is as financially bouyant as yourself, Tecno has bridged the gap between the rich and poor by creating an affordable means of communication.
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Rubiesangel: 9:46am On Nov 16, 2018
Please don't ever comment in public again. Trust me, it will help you.
LuciferMessiah:

Bastards.

*spits angry
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Behankey(m): 11:27am On Nov 16, 2018
And they will continue to dominate because they know what the people want

1 Like

Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by scarycuteface(m): 3:07pm On Nov 19, 2018
Not surprised. Their brands sell the most units. And i think their strategy is working
Re: Transsion Group Dominate Smartphone Market Share In Nigeria In Q3 2018 by Freelancerx: 4:09pm On Nov 19, 2018
This is no more news. We now know what Transsion is and how they are dominating markets.

(1) (Reply)

Sold / Need Help / How To Solve Common Google Play Store Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.