Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming (3080 Views)

Catfish Vs Broiler Farming / 50 Bags Of Wet Broiler Poultry Liters (manure) Available At Gbenaje, Kola Alagba / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Youngext: 1:05am On Nov 18, 2018
Good morning nairaland AGROPRENUERS!
Please I need your sincere opinions/advices regarding which to go for, between catfish farming and broiler poultry farming.
I have gathered some knowledge about both ventures but am caught in a fix not knowing which would be better to invest in.
I plan to run for long (maybe lifetime) which ever one I would finally settle for, therefore I need your advices so as not to make a decision I would regret, based on your experiences and exposure to both subject matters please advice a brother.
I just want to know which to go for as I plan to make something profitable from which ever one I finally decide to do

NOTE: I might have enough capital to start the poultry with about 100 broilers and their feeding from day old to 8-9weeks (maturity) with plans to go organic
So also I have capital enough to get and feed 1000 catfishes from juveniles to melange (4-5 months)

Cc:
TURKS
ORGANICFOODS
EMMAACHILE

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 18, 2018
Youngext:
Please I need your sincere opinions/advices regarding which to go for, between catfish farming and broiler poultry farming.
I have gathered some knowledge about both ventures but am caught in a fix not knowing which would be better to invest in.
I plan to run for long (maybe lifetime) which ever one I would finally settle for, therefore I need your advices so as not to make a decision I would regret, based on your experiences and exposure to both subject matters please advice a brother.
I just want to know which to go for as I plan to make something profitable from which ever one I finally decide to do

NOTE: I might have enough capital to start the poultry with about 100 broilers and their feeding from day old to 8-9weeks (maturity) with plans to go organic
So also I have capital enough to get and feed 1000 catfishes from juveniles to melange (4-5 months)

Cc:
TURKS
ORGANICFOODS
EMMAACHILE
Poultry is easier and cheaper to run compared to catfish. Its also have faster and higher returns compared to catfish.
Focus on poultry first then you can diversify into catfish.
Remember to raise 1000 catfish, you would need about 200k naira minimum to raise them for 4-5 months. This is outside cost of renting the pond.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Youngext: 11:06am On Nov 18, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Poultry is easier and cheaper to run compared to catfish. Its also have faster and higher returns compared to catfish.
Focus on poultry first then you can diversify into catfish.
Remember to raise 1000 catfish, you would need about 200k naira minimum to raise them for 4-5 months. This is outside cost of renting the pond.

Okay sir,
Thanks for your timely reply
But please one more thing,
How much do I need to conviniently run the first batch of the poultry business, and how much at average can I sell each after farming?
Thanks in anticipation of your response sir
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 18, 2018
Budget about 100k for 100 broilers or 1,000 per broiler
If raised well, you should sell at 2,000-2,500 after 7 weeks.
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Youngext: 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Budget about 100k for 100 broilers or 1,000 per broiler
If raised well, you should sell at 2,000-2,500 after 7 weeks.

Thank you very much sir,
I think I found a business to settle for
Poultry it is then!

I really appreciate your advice
Can I have your contact so I can always refer to you for guidelines as I intend starting soon?
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by olaeffect(m): 1:24pm On Nov 18, 2018
I am not an expart to say, but i will give opinion based on my experience.
i strongly believe catfish farming is way easier to manage than poultry.

Poultry require keen monitoring right from brooding, vaccination to grow-out.
While in the case of catfish farming you can even be away from your farm for a day or two with proper water management system.

Seasonal demand dependency, poultry has high price fluctuations dependants on festive season. But catfish farming has relatively stable price all year through.

You can process your birds and have it frozen, when they have reached maturity and you cant find a market for it, but remember that refrigeration is still at a cost.
While in the case of catfish you can process by just simply roasting (forget about oven and fancy repackaging, the aboki roasted sandy catfish is still selling without advert)

Diseases? catfish is way easier to manage than poultry.

And finally, who says you must wait till 4 to 6 months to sell your catfish? variour sizes are in demand by different customers.

This is however from my peraonal experience. Also note that no business is "easy" or "risk free" if there is/are, everybody will be doing business. Therefore just try them both on a small scale and see the one that works for you.

5 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Youngext: 1:42pm On Nov 18, 2018
olaeffect:

While in the case of catfish farming you can even be away from your farm for a day or two with proper water management system.

Seasonal demand dependency, poultry has high price fluctuations dependants on festive season. But catfish farming has relatively stable price all year through.

You can process your birds and have it frozen, when they have reached maturity and you cant find a market for it, but remember that refrigeration is still at a cost.
While in the case of catfish you can process by just simply roasting (forget about oven and fancy repackaging, the aboki roasted sandy catfish is still selling without advert)

And finally, who says you must wait till 4 to 6 months to sell your catfish? variour sizes are in demand by different customers.

This is however from my peraonal experience. Also note that no business is "easy" or "risk free" if there is/are, everybody will be doing business. Therefore just try them both on a small scale and see the one that works for you.

Thanks sir
Advice noted!
How much is fish sold now?
I mean melange
And price if feed
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by olaeffect(m): 3:51pm On Nov 18, 2018
Youngext:

Thanks sir
Advice noted!
How much is fish sold now?
I mean melange
And price if feed

Google is your friend sirgrin
I just Google and fund this http://ojolowofarms.com.ng/fishportal/
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by ajast(m): 12:55am On Nov 19, 2018
Pls bro, do poultry if you cannot get a place where you will drain off water everyday, I once built a room size fish pond but when I realized the needs to drain off water everyday and my place is not having drains and far from canal I quickly converted the fish pond to poultry for 100 broilers from day old now 32 days to be sold for Xmas.

Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Youngext: 4:41am On Nov 19, 2018
Wow nice one bro
Enough motivation I need to start up
Thanks alot for the heads up
Poultry all the way
Maybe later I might do catfish farming as a plus to my portfolio

Once I am starting, I would update you guys with weekly updates of how I approach the business
Am really grateful
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by wengerman: 10:18am On Nov 19, 2018
give yourself a head start by joining my training where I will be teaching feed cost reduction strategies for broiler like feed fermentation,mash gel feed and converting materials like pig waste product (excreta ) to a highly nutritious chicken feed contact 08050761678 on whatsapp for more information
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by fakati(m): 3:07pm On Nov 19, 2018
Better go for broiler but first go for like 50 to test the water and increase it as you progress.
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Turks: 7:10am On Nov 21, 2018
Poultry is the way to go, particularly broilers. You have to learn the ropes though, you can lose all your investment at the slightest error.

Life is all about taking risks.
Youngext:

Cc:
TURKS
ORGANICFOODS
EMMAACHILE
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Youngext: 10:12am On Nov 21, 2018
fakati:
Better go for broiler but first go for like 50 to test the water and increase it as you progress.
Thanks sir
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Youngext: 10:13am On Nov 21, 2018
Turks:
Poultry is the way to go, particularly broilers. You have to learn the ropes though, you can lose all your investment at the slightest error.

Life is all about taking risks.
Okay sir, thanks for your advice
Have learnt alot and still learning, plus I won't hesitate to seek advices from bosses like you every time I need one
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 21, 2018
olaeffect:

awesome.. and fish pond is less expensive to construct.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 21, 2018
the first thing to consider b4 setting up a farm is the profit maximization. poultry market is seasonal but fish is all year round with almost stable price.. cat fish is a hardy fish, meaning it's easy to train and is profitable. but I hope you have knowledge of both poultry and fish, if not ..pls do well to learn so that you will not run at lost.
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by oby333: 12:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
i think poultry is better than catfish,i started just last month with 50 birds my target is xmas sales, i followed this thread with guru EMMACHILE ADVICE ON VACCINE and am glad i did.look at my birds just 4 weeks and 3 days

Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by crossblane1(m): 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2018
oby333:
i think poultry is better than catfish,i started just last month with 50 birds my target is xmas sales, i followed this thread with guru EMMACHILE ADVICE ON VACCINE and am glad i did.look at my birds just 4 weeks and 3 days
Do u formulate ur own feed
Re: Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming by damoceile: 9:41am On May 17, 2019
oby333:

just stumbled on this thread, so bro how is the poultry now...

(1) (Reply)

Update On My Grafted Plants; Mango ,avocado, Treculia Africana / How To Start Pig Farming In Nigeria And Grow To Giant Piggery / To Breed Or Buy Piglets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.