Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption (4445 Views)

Pastor Gave Fake Prophecy That Destroyed My Marriage Of 10 Years / Aisha Babangida Ends Second Marriage / Mother In Law Has Destroyed My Marriage Due To Husband's Mamas Boy Nature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by missgstar2: 10:27am On Jul 27, 2010
after i was born (27 years ago) the doctors told my mum that she could not have anymore children. So my mum and dad have 3 daughters (including myself as the youngest)

All of a sudden, 5 years ago, my dad said that he wanted to marry a second wife in order to have a son. My sister's and I were against it, and my mum adopted a non-chalent attitude. We soon learnt that they had had this conversation hundreds of times over the years, and she refused for him to marry again. Before long we got a call to say that he had married again. We were never informed of when it was happening, or who this lady was! (we live in the UK, and my dad goes back and forth to Nigeria)

So after trying for a child with no success, a couple of years ago, my dad brought up the issue of adoption. My mother went crazy as this was what she was suggesting all these years instead of going to marry again. We also supported my mother and said no.

Lo and behold, last week, my father announced that he had adopted a new born baby boy.

How can a father do something like this without a care for how it makes his children and wife feel. he is tearing his family apart!
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 27, 2010
[s]will comment later, something doesnt just add up here[/s]
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Acidosis(m): 11:19am On Jul 27, 2010
Wahala dey o
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Blueice4re(f): 11:23am On Jul 27, 2010
Sorry i no it hurts but you all should try and forgive him, is just that he want you all to have a brother but he did it the wrong way.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by missgstar2: 11:27am On Jul 27, 2010
thanks for the replies guys. I understand the whole having a son for legacy business, but i also think it's unbelievably selfish. We are not bad children. We look after our parents well!
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 27, 2010
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Damysa(f): 1:26pm On Jul 27, 2010
hmmmmm that's so selfish of ur dad. yes hope he realises his mistakes someday soon.

who is caring 4 the son now, where is he. God is already punishing that man by not giving him children from the other wife. and yet he still didnt learn.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by missgstar2: 1:32pm On Jul 27, 2010
the boy was born last week, and is being looked after by his second wife back home. My dad is here recovering from chemo after having being diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. He's looking to head back to Nigeria asap.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by SALady(f): 2:56pm On Jul 27, 2010
I honesty think there's more to the story than your dad is letting you in on. Anyway just forget aabout it these are you fathers problems and you shouldnt make them your issues in any way whatsoever. I know it may not be an easy thing to do. Also do not take it out of your half/brother love him like your blood, and give your mother all the support she needs.

But you know what I am thinking here, I think your father has been living a double life for ages.  undecided  undecided  undecided
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by jumie(f): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2010
I think that boy is your fathers biological child from maybe the other woman or someone else!

1 Like

Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Bestglo(f): 3:42pm On Jul 27, 2010
jumie:

I think that boy is your fathers biological child from maybe the other woman or someone else!

were you reading my mind ?
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Nobody: 1:00am On Jul 28, 2010
jumie:

thats what i thought too but did not have the gall to say so
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Nobody: 1:11am On Jul 28, 2010
Is your father a yoruba man?
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by mamagee3(f): 1:43am On Jul 28, 2010
I think you should give your father a reality check.

And tell him that he's doing the wrong thing.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by missgstar2: 8:48am On Jul 28, 2010
Hi everyone

Thanks for the responses. My father is an Igbo man (through and through!) I don't think the baby could be his, as he has been in the UK for a year now, getting hospital treatment.

He is indeed living a double life, with his second wife back home, and my mother here in the UK. He only really comes to the UK for hospital appointments/treatment. To be honest, if it wasn't for that, I'm sure he wouldn't come at all!

We have tried to speak to him sooooo many times. Even getting other family members to mediate, but he just says that we don't understand, and that he's doing it for us so that when we get married we can still come to the house and have a say. That's just BS in my opinion. We have a very good relationship with my father's brothers, and couldn't really care less of what they decided to do with the family land, etc when my dad has gone!

How can you do something for someone, when they are begging you not to do it? Doesn't it then just become all about you, and nothing to do with them?!??!
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 29, 2010
@poster
i am wondering why he didnt divorce the second wifey when he discovered that she couldnt have kids of her own and then adopt a kid with wifey number one?!

i think the kid story is not the MAIN reason for all this mess but your father is an adult and can do what he damn well please so just accept it (as he obviously doesnt care what you people think)

also, if your mum lives in the UK and your father is always in 9ja then i understand why he would need some "companionship" over there to cook and clean for him etc and someone to take care of the kid.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Nobody: 12:07am On Jul 29, 2010
This sounds like an excuse to take a second wife.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by missgstar2: 9:20am On Jul 29, 2010
For as long as I can remember, there has always been talk about my dad's need for a son. My mother suggested many years ago, when I was young that they should adopt a boy, but my dad insisted that the child must be his blood. Hence the need for a second wife.

@MRbrownJAY My parents have been in the UK since the early 70's, but my dad has been going back and forth for many years. If he wanted companioinship, he should have taken his first wife with him!

Also, my dad will never get rid of the 2nd woman. He will never admit that he has done it all wrong. As per his own words- "you want me to go a lick my vomit?!?!?"

But like most are saying, my dad has made his bed, so he can lie in it.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by luap: 3:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
Everyone has a right to live there dream.  Your dad's was to have a son. He has my respect, despite what your mom and you daughters objections, he stood fast to his goals.  You should learn from your father, when you move to your own future, remember, everyone has a right to be happy and pursue their dreams.

Now if we can get people like your mother and sisters to support their men. We might be happier.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 25, 2014
This is like wat happened in my family, jst dat my mum dies nd left I nd my sis. My dad remarried bt the woman hasn't given birth till now. They were talkin of an adoption bt we jst kept mute. Nw my dad jst discovered he has a child frm anoda woman unknown to him. His son has refused to accept d fact dat my dad is his dad. As for me nd my sis, ntin concerns us. We're jst livin our lives. All we're waitin for is to get married nd honestly, if I shld hav my way, ntin will concern me wif my dad.
Re: My Father Has Destroyed The Family With Second Marriage And Adoption by spiralwedge(m): 3:26pm On Aug 25, 2014
@op, my comment is influenced by the nollywood films I've been watching lately.

- something went wrong with the marriage
- dad was influenced/advised by friends who have done same (a high % of Nigeria men residing in Europe keeps another family at home)
- mum might know something about the inability of the other woman to conceive
- the baby might be his
- he is probably being remote-controlled
- Best to leave him alone, pray for him and give him his space. he will return to his senses faster

(1) (Reply)

Some Times I Think Of How Easy It Would Be To Just End It All / She Doesn't Want Sex Anymore And She Doesn't Want Divorce / She Was Caught In The Act By Her Husband's Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.