Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Photo ID Card In Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Photo ID Card In Nigeria? (8022 Views)

National Id Card / Application For Passport, World Birth Card, Birth Certificate, & Id Card / Using Credit Card In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by oasis: 8:43pm On Jan 08, 2006
Is there such a thing as a photo ID in Nigeria?

I know students get issued photo ID in school, and some may have work ID with a photo on it. Also, a driver's license will have a photo on it.

But what about the ordinary folks who are not students, do not work in government, and do not drive? Is there any kind of government issued ID that they can get.

I would like to hear from anybody who knows the answer please.

If there's such a thing as a photo ID card in Nigeria, how does somebody currently living in Nigeria go about applying for it?
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by snazzydawn(f): 8:47pm On Jan 08, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy in your dreams!!! grin grin grin grin grin that will be in the next world!!!
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by adesodgi(m): 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2006
national ID card.....u mean?
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by oasis: 9:44pm On Jan 08, 2006
in your dreams!!!

Are you sure, or are you just making bland comments?

I have heard a few people say they have it.  See this: http://www.nigeriaworld.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2992

If anybody knows the answer for sure, please respond.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by snazzydawn(f): 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2006
hello,I live in Nigeria,there was supposed to be such a thing,but till date,its a white elephant project.Citizens in Nigeria don't move around with ID cards!!!get it?
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by oasis: 10:03pm On Jan 08, 2006
hello,I live in Nigeria,there was supposed to be such a thing,but till date,its a white elephant project.Citizens in Nigeria don't move around with ID cards!!!get it?

Thank you. Now that is a more clear-cut response than the first. Try to take the sensationalism out of your speech and you wouldn't confuse people about your message.

I sent some money home, and the recipient couldn't collect it.

I then called up moneygram to ask why, and I was told the recipient needed a photo ID. My response then was that there is no such thing as photo ID in Nigeria. The customer service guy insisted they have people presenting photo ID's to collect money.

I needed to verify his statement, that's why I wanted a definitive answer to that question.

Basically, unless you drive in Nigeria, there's no way for somebody to send money to you by moneygram or western union. Wow! We're really backward.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 1:20am On Jan 09, 2006
OAsis.. u made a mistake when u were sending the money. U are always to write "NO ID REQUIRED" on the money gram form.

That happened to my dad once, he sent the money and forgot to put the thingy... my cuzzs in naija said they didn't get it.. cos they was asking for ID.. and then my dad had to go back and do some shirime so that they could get the money. Always write on it that "no ID required".

What you do is, choose a password for the money retirival, and give the password to whoever u sending the money to. It's the password that they'll use to get the money.

No ID in nigeria.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by oasis: 4:29am On Jan 09, 2006
u made a mistake when u were sending the money. U are always to write "NO ID REQUIRED" on the money gram form.

That happened to my dad once, he sent the money and forgot to put the thingy... my cuzzs in Nigeria said they didn't get it.. because they was asking for ID.. and then my dad had to go back and do some shirime so that they could get the money. Always write on it that "no ID required".

What you do is, choose a password for the money retirival, and give the password to whoever u sending the money to. It's the password that they'll use to get the money.

No ID in nigeria.

Thanks so much for that response.  This is the kind of info I needed when I called the customer service, but the dumbass rep was bent on proving to me that Nigeria has state-issued ID.  These idiots work for a company, with little knowledge of the operation of the business.  Everything they know is centered around the way things happen in America.

Once again, thank you for the help.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by snazzydawn(f): 7:18am On Jan 09, 2006
errrmmm,okay,i get your point now.If you send money to someone via western union or any other means,the person has to present an ID.Not necessarily your national ID card,but your school ID,driver's licence,international passport.That is the only way you will get your money,not national ID card.Get it?
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 7:43am On Jan 09, 2006
You r welcome oasis.

Snazzy, you don't always have to tender an ID... just the password is enough for 'em.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by snazzydawn(f): 7:46am On Jan 09, 2006
(clears throat and drags hotA by the collar)come back here,kiddo cheesy cheesy cheesy....it's Aunty Snazzy,remember?well,where I live,you better tender one o!!!else...hmmmmm...no show for you grin grin grin grin ,plus de password o!!!then you will wait for 30mins for everything to be processed.Na wa for this my country sef o!!!
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 7:47am On Jan 09, 2006
*adjusts... *

Okay aunty snazzy. smiley
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by snazzydawn(f): 7:50am On Jan 09, 2006
okay okay,sorry eh?hmmm,see ogoo for where I knock you.Take icepack do am eh?mmhmmmm.... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 9:45am On Jan 09, 2006
Yes, there is a national ID card but those that don't have it right now won't be able to get it until several years from now when another ID card exercise is carried out.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by oasis: 3:17am On Jan 14, 2006
Yes, there is a national ID card but those that don't have it right now won't be able to get it until several years from now when another ID card exercise is carried out.

Nobody seems to have a clue what is going on in that country.
One person says there's no national ID, somebody else says the exact opposite.
And both lay it down with full conviction.

This is not a swipe at your guys.  Just amazed at the disarray of life in Nigeria.

Our current generation of leaders are clearly too old-fashioned to effect changes into the new millenium.

As the newer, tech-savvy generation ascends into power, we'd begin to see a shift in thinking.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by vichel(m): 10:20am On Jan 22, 2006
There is definitely a National Identity Card.I think it started in 2002, and the distribution was gonna be in 03 or 04
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by Whitelady1(f): 11:14am On Jan 22, 2006
@ Oasis
There is actually a national ID in Nigeria. I am shocked to hear that some Nigerians based in Nigeria dont know about its existence. The registration/application for the ID was well advertised and the registeration was on for more than a week(if i remember correctly). I registered for the ID in Ogun state, some of my folks registered in Lagos, my sister and her family registered in Abuja and now we all have our national ID! Even my brother in US has it. I wouldn't blame the government but some Nigerians for their negligence and non-challant attitude. My elder in Nigeria doesn't have the national ID. Why? He thought it was all crap and refused to register. Now he wants it but doesn't know how to get it! Many Nigerians, like him, refused to register, and to me, they are at fault.

For those who dont have the National ID and want it, go to the L.G. secretariat nearest to you and inquire. They should be able to help you out.

1 Like

Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by snazzydawn(f): 2:55pm On Jan 22, 2006
@whitelady-----well,there was all that and more,but that ID card project was a white elephant project.The person in charge of it then is still under probe for fraud....
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by joftech(m): 8:16am On Jan 23, 2006
There's national ID here in Nigeria. The only thing is that they have just started the distribution, so it's not everyone that have it yet.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by medube(m): 11:41am On Jan 23, 2006
snazzydawn:

@whitelady-----well,there was all that and more,but that ID card project was a white elephant project.The person in charge of it then is still under probe for fraud....

snazzydawn just for your information, White Lady and joftech are right. Some people have started getting their National ID cards. They commenced issuing them out last december. Though I will admit, it is a headache to get it if its there because of the crowd and the poorly organized distribution. Also a lot of people who registered with me at the same center have gotten their, but not me sad I have been asked to re-register as they say my own may have gotten lost in transit.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by larger20(m): 7:18pm On Jan 23, 2006
Infact areas of research in nigeria is just too much and anyone that wants to make money out of goods ..this is one of the areas to invest on,...

Networking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong if a company go to the fedral government to take on a project that will eventually give every nigeria an identification card.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by joftech(m): 8:33pm On Jan 23, 2006
It will be a good thing if anyone can surely come up with larger20's idea.

But when you look at the logistics required it's only the government that can execute such project.

It would have been better if govt provide the logistics and then the private companies charge people say like N100/ID.

N100 in 120 Million places is sure jackpot.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2006
yea...just write NO IDE REQUIRED and u have 2 put a security question and an answer and den u give da person u r sending da money 2 da answer AKA PASSWORD and datz how da person can get da money... kiss
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by oasis: 10:26pm On Jan 23, 2006
yea...just write NO IDE REQUIRED and u have 2 put a security question and an answer and den u give da person you're sending da money 2 da answer AKA PASSWORD and datz how da person can get da money...

I was told you could do it that way, but it didn't work.  Even moneygram told me that would be fine.  But the bank in Nigeria refused to give out the money.

I had to cancel the transaction and send it to somebody else who had a photo ID.

Update: before you send money to somebody who has not photo ID, first make sure the bank will agree to give out the money.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by oasis: 10:47pm On Jan 23, 2006
There is nothing wrong if a company go to the fedral government to take on a project that will eventually give every nigeria an identification card.

It's not so much a case of somebody/company being able to carry it out, as it is verifying the identity of the individual to whom the id is being issued.  How do you ascertain the identity of somebody in Nigeria, especially that of the older generation?  Unless it's closely monitored by the government, issuing id cards would be fraught with fraudulent id's being issued all over the place.

I don't understand why we still don't have a national database in Nigeria.  The UK has National Insurance, US has Social Security, even Mexico that is as corrupt as Nigeria has US-style id cards for its citizen.  Naija needs something similar. 

The only way for a person's identity to be unique is to tie the full name to a specific postal address + birthdate, then issue a unique id # to that person.

With open source database softwares out there, it can be accomplished with very little financial commitment.

Do people pay income taxes in Nigeria?  If so, how does the government track it without a national id? We're really backward.
Re: Photo ID Card In Nigeria? by larger20(m): 10:28pm On Feb 10, 2006
joftech:

It will be a good thing if anyone can surely come up with larger20's idea.

But when you look at the logistics required it's only the government that can execute such project.

It would have been better if govt provide the logistics and then the private companies charge people say like N100/ID.

N100 in 120 Million places is sure jackpot.

Ofcourse an individual cannot do it alone. A company cannot do it alone without influence from the government. There is what is called advanced engineering, it looks on how other engineers can team up with their diffrent expertise to make a product.

Same Idea here, talk to the nigerian government, they will help u with the following:

- Privatization
- They will use the current passort offices as hardcore offices plus few other offices you will create in each state.
- They will supply you with experince becasue they have been managing the passport offices before you
- Government will provide funding and also take a stake in your company
- Your funding will help too.

This is all i can say not but if anyone is intrested in such a project, buzz me and maybe i will be your senior project manager.

(1) (Reply)

Travelling To Trinidad And Tobago / Nigeria A Beautiful West African Country (pictures!!!) / Help Me. I Need Direction To Vi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.