Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,168 members, 7,829,176 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man (12898 Views)

Man Kicked Out Of Anglican Church In Warri For 'Not Paying Tithe, Dressing Well' / "Winners Chapel Would Soon Be Paying Tithes Of Trillions" - Bishop Oyedepo / Has Daddy Freeze's #FreeTheSheeple Movement Stopped Anyone From Paying Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Image123(m): 5:30pm On Nov 26, 2018
mechanics:
But in actual sense, we are not to owe, the Bible talks about that also, let's put it this way, as one is paying his or her tithes, he or she should also settle his or her debts.

Fine, don't owe. Then don't even borrow in the first place/instance. It's not good to owe but it's not a damnable sin especially if you have the mind and will to pay back. Paul wrote to Philemon about a brother owing, and how he(Paul) was ready to owe for a while.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Image123(m): 5:34pm On Nov 26, 2018
dangoteinlaw:
we killing em English RIP......Rick ross grin

And you think you are writing English, or you're in English class? Grow up and contribute sensibly or read in silence.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Aarondan(m): 5:41pm On Nov 26, 2018
The most stupid and senseless question that's ever ask, what has tithe got to do with owing neighbors?
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 26, 2018
MorataFC:
u got it wrong bro,
Nobody pays tithes to pastor but God, when u go to church did u pray to pastor? The offering u gave did u give it to pastor? How come u now believe that your tithes goes to pastor pocket?
If you believed that your prayers go to God your offerings go to God then what makes tithes different, your tithes also go to God even you may no not how they spend them, leave that for God to judge not you.
Dumb shiit
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by femi4: 6:48pm On Nov 26, 2018
Jaynom:

No sir! Tithing was mandatory!
Not anymore, its voluntary now according to Jesus

Mt 23:23

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Faithfulness, mercy, love, justice are weighter than Tithe.

Jesus came to give us a better covenant. That's his position on Tithe

Same way observing the Sabbath day is no longer mandatory not to work on the day of Sabbath
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by ajani2311: 8:10pm On Nov 26, 2018
MorataFC:
u got it wrong bro,
Nobody pays tithes to pastor but God, when u go to church did u pray to pastor? The offering u gave did u give it to pastor? How come u now believe that your tithes goes to pastor pocket?
If you believed that your prayers go to God your offerings go to God then what makes tithes different, your tithes also go to God even you may no not how they spend them, leave that for God to judge not you.
chai......
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by desiredhome: 8:31pm On Nov 26, 2018
jadyclem:

point of correction, you don't pay tithe to pastors but to God. it's God that blesses a person, not the pastor. regardless of your grouse against pastors, there are still some genuine and spirit filled men of God out there. And also, it's not a crime for a pastor to be wealthy. stop judging!
Lol, if the so call Pastor are not using the money for it's purpose, rather living fat and venturing into other businesses while the real owners are becoming poorer? That is a crime.

It's Gods' money when it serve the needs of the congregation/people otherwise its pastors money which is the reason every where is Church Church Church, all for the money not for souls.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Jaynom(m): 9:21pm On Nov 26, 2018
femi4:
Not anymore, its voluntary now according to Jesus

Mt 23:23

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Faithfulness, mercy, love, justice are weighter than Tithe.

Jesus came to give us a better covenant. That's his position on Tithe

Same way observing the Sabbath day is no longer mandatory not to work on the day of Sabbath
I highlighted LAW

Giving/Sharing is Voluntary! Tithing is LAW . Being a LAW makes it mandatory.
1.Tithing is For Jews and not Gentiles
2 .Jesus never paid Tithe
3. Jesus' disciples never paid Tithe
4. PauL never paid tithe.
As a follower of Christ you should SHARE what you have with the needy, the orphans and the widows that is your obligation!
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by mechanics(m): 9:31pm On Nov 26, 2018
Image123:

Fine, don't owe. Then don't even borrow in the first place/instance. It's not good to owe but it's not a damnable sin especially if you have the mind and will to pay back. Paul wrote to Philemon about a brother owing, and how he(Paul) was ready to owe for a while.
if one owes and has the money to pay back and he has not paid is a sin, sin is sin.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Pataricatering(f): 9:33pm On Nov 26, 2018
That is not how they say it ! They curse you if you don’t pay tithe ! They threaten you with hellfire if you don’t pay tithe - stop making it seem like they give you a choice to pay or not pay !
elganzar:
What is it gaan naa(?), they said if you want to_ GIVE!!...If you don't want to _ DON'T GIVE...

Those that know what they profit from giving tithe don't really need your counsel
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by jadyclem(m): 9:45pm On Nov 26, 2018
desiredhome:

Lol, if the so call Pastor are not using the money for it's purpose, rather living fat and venturing into other businesses while the real owners are becoming poorer? That is a crime.

It's Gods' money when it serve the needs of the congregation/people otherwise its pastors money which is the reason every where is Church Church Church, all for the money not for souls.

Let God be the judge. Don't allow your dislike for pastors prevent you from loving God, living for him and making eternity. All man shall stand for himself /herself and give account before God. So live your life and allow God to be the judge.
stay blessed!
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Johnjanrt: 10:11pm On Nov 26, 2018
Jaynom:

It was offering not tithing sir! Mathew 5:23
The Bible says EAT YOUR TITHES

Deutronomy 14:23 Then go to the one place where the LORD your God has chosen to be worshiped; and there in his presence eat the tithes of your grain, wine, and olive oil, and the first-born of your cattle and sheep. Do this so that you may learn to honor the LORD your God always.
this guy is in the spirit jor. Make I see person wey go dispute this one
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Image123(m): 10:20pm On Nov 26, 2018
mechanics:
if one owes and has the money to pay back and he has not paid is a sin, sin is sin.

Like I said, don't owe or borrow.

1 Like

Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by mechanics(m): 10:22pm On Nov 26, 2018
Image123:

Like I said, don't owe or borrow.
Okay, nothing bad in borrowing, but when one borrows, he or she must pay back.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Image123(m): 10:28pm On Nov 26, 2018
mechanics:
Okay, nothing bad in borrowing, but when one borrows, he or she must pay back.

Then it appears we're saying the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by mechanics(m): 10:29pm On Nov 26, 2018
Image123:

confirm.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by mechanics(m): 10:30pm On Nov 26, 2018
Image123:

confirm.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Emary(f): 10:40pm On Nov 26, 2018
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by lonelydora: 11:20pm On Nov 26, 2018
Richdad50:
There is no 'honour' in paying tithe when you are oweing your neighbour. Tithing is not a duty but honour. When you honour God, it becomes a lifting but, when you duty God, it becomes a burden.
Do not give in to those who believe tithing is wrong but also do not entangle yourself in the doctrine of men designed to sniff you of your earnings. Tithe to church to sustain what they do but also tithe to widows, orphans and the needy amongst you . Learn the art of balance and you will be happy with your deeds.

NB: Why do Nairaland restrict contributions to Islamic posts but open the Gospel to bashing by all. Very Shameful
#Richdadnuggets

I was banned severally for asking same question
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by femi4: 4:48am On Nov 27, 2018
Jaynom:

I highlighted LAW

Giving/Sharing is Voluntary! Tithing is LAW . Being a LAW makes it mandatory.
1.Tithing is For Jews and not Gentiles
2 .Jesus never paid Tithe
3. Jesus' disciples never paid Tithe
4. PauL never paid tithe.
As a follower of Christ you should SHARE what you have with the needy, the orphans and the widows that is your obligation!
We are no longer under the LAW but Grace. Under Grace, the "LAW" is no longer mandatory. That explains why Jesus and his Disciples didn't pay tithes.

If the LAW was perfect, there will be no need for Jesus to come. Why did we stop shedding animals blood for the atonement of sin?
Why did we stop going through Priest to enter holy of holies
These are LAWS but they are no longer valid

Heb 8:7

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

Also, in the new commandments, nothing like Jew or Gentiles. The scripture is a continuous book, why will a believer based his actions or inaction on commandments of old testament still baffles me.

Gal 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Jaynom(m): 8:45am On Nov 27, 2018
femi4:
We are no longer under the LAW but Grace. Under Grace, the "LAW" is no longer mandatory. That explains why Jesus and his Disciples didn't pay tithes.

If the LAW was perfect, there will be no need for Jesus to come. Why did we stop shedding animals blood for the atonement of sin?
Why did we stop going through Priest to enter holy of holies
These are LAWS but they are no longer valid

Heb 8:7

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

Also, in the new commandments, nothing like Jew or Gentiles. The scripture is a continuous book, why will a believer based his actions or inaction on commandments of old testament still baffles me.

Gal 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
That was going to be my closing remarks
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Judahudoh: 9:10am On Nov 27, 2018
jadyclem:

point of correction, you don't pay tithe to pastors but to God. it's God that blesses a person, not the pastor. regardless of your grouse against pastors, there are still some genuine and spirit filled men of God out there. And also, it's not a crime for a pastor to be wealthy. stop judging!

Please read your Bible more carefully.

The only giving you do to God directly is when you give to the needy among the Christian fold.

Remember: when I was hungry u gave me to eat, when I was sick you visited me and they asked lord when did we give you to eat?
He answered, when you did so to the least of ur brothers, you did it to me.
(It is Jesus himself that was speaking about this).

The only other direct giving is the sacrifice of our praise which is the fruit of our lips. . .

I read about one who said it should be a personal decision.

People must not be cadjuled to give to the work of God or the pastor in the name of tithe. Because that name alone references the giving to the law.

Other pastors will say Abraham gave tithe before the law - I ask a simple question, in Hebrews. 11, Abraham's name was mentioned most in that record of faith, why was his act of tithing not mentioned or omitted?

Again when he tithed, was he commanded by God? The levites (priests) were asked not to tithe because they had already paid their tithes while in Abraham's blossom.

What does scripture say about us - We ARE: A choose generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people....
So are we not King priests like Melchizedek ? (by virtue of which we all are qualified to receive tithe)

HEAR ME CLEARLY: There is no special blessing for the one who tithes in our days (The grace dispensation) ORDER than
1. The principle of giving and receiving at work.
2. The blessing God gives to people for honoring him with their substance (by giving towards his work) - This drives the prophesy that said "through prosperity shall thy nation's be spread abroad"
3. The blessing that follows one who gives to an anointed one (A man of God).

Where a born again child of God is, there is nothing like devourer and certainly nothing to rebuke. If there is anything to rebuke, the believer always has the irrevocable authority which is not attached to any laws.
"whatsoever you bind on earth. .."

That error in the body of Christ is totally unnecessary. People should be taught to give from their heart. Remember - Paul warned us of giving out of compulsion (It is indirect compulsion, at least no body in their ignorance wants the devourer to devour their finances).
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by desiredhome: 9:29am On Nov 27, 2018
jadyclem:

Let God be the judge. Don't allow your dislike for pastors prevent you from loving God, living for him and making eternity. All man shall stand for himself /herself and give account before God. So live your life and allow God to be the judge.
stay blessed!
Life is govern by simple principle, do the right thing and get the right result, Gal 6:7.etc. Christianity preaches righteousness, if you can't speak against people doing wrong then you are part of the problems.
Allow God to judge is one of the brainwash statement they use, even when they are caught in the evil act.
That means its God that will judge the politicians that are stealing our common resources, the arm robbers?It's this type of reasoning/mentality that has kept a black man in the dark/poor despite all the resources they have. Suffering and Smiling

1 Like

Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by Judahudoh: 11:07am On Nov 27, 2018
elganzar:
What is it gaan naa(?), they said if you want to_ GIVE!!...If you don't want to _ DON'T GIVE...

Those that know what they profit from giving tithe don't really need your counsel

They are profiting from giving not tithing.

There are principles in life, once they are deployed, the effects will always show up.

Giving and receiving
Sowing and reaping - seed time and harvest
Principle of seasons

Anyone who honours God with their substance is a candidate for a reward.

Whether or not you know anything called gravity, If you jump off a balcony on a storey building - nothing will stop you from falling.

Unfortunately there is nothing like the principle of tithing or one-tenth in the whole bible...

Meanwhile, continue with your giving but study your Bible - As a believer you should be ready always to give a reason for your faith when asked, So the scripture acknowledges...
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by destinable(m): 12:10pm On Nov 27, 2018
All you Christians with misplaced priorities. All you do is read the bible out of it's context or believe whatever your pastors says to you with doing due diligence. I can't believe we are still discussing tithe. I always wonder why of all the laws of Moses, and those that predates him, Pastors chose to stick only to tithes.

James 1:26-27.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by jadyclem(m): 1:52pm On Nov 27, 2018
desiredhome:

Life is govern by simple principle, do the right thing and get the right result, Gal 6:7.etc. Christianity preaches righteousness, if you can't speak against people doing wrong then you are part of the problems.
Allow God to judge is one of the brainwash statement they use, even when they are caught in the evil act.
That means its God that will judge the politicians that are stealing our common resources, the arm robbers?It's this type of reasoning/mentality that has kept a black man in the dark/poor despite all the resources they have. Suffering and Smiling

what proof do you have that pastors are embezzling money paid as tithe? if you've worked in a church before you'll know that most churches have lots of expenses. most churches pay instrumentalists, choir directors, pastor's assistant, secretaries and other senior and junior pastors. So you can't really say for sure that pastors are enriching themselves with church money.

if you no the number of people some churches are sponsoring in school and assisting, bro you'll be very amazed. that's why I said judgement should be left to God. pastors are much different from politicians and money paid as tithe and offering is different from tax payers money that the politicians are embezzling. What a church does with money you've given to God should be non of your business because you were not forced to give the money to God or the church. but what the politicians do with our taxes is our business because we were compelled to pay such taxes

if a church raised Money for a project and the project wasn't executed, the members have every right to know what happened to the money. such scenario is different from tithe and offering. tithe and offering are for the maintenance of the church, the ministers and the work of God. bro church get many expenses o! if you've not worked in a church before you won't know that most churches are paying many people from tithe and offering. like I said before, let God be the judge. stay blessed.
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by jadyclem(m): 2:00pm On Nov 27, 2018
Judahudoh:

Please read your Bible more carefully.

The only giving you do to God directly is when you give to the needy among the Christian fold.

Remember: when I was hungry u gave me to eat, when I was sick you visited me and they asked lord when did we give you to eat?
He answered, when you did so to the least of ur brothers, you did it to me.
(It is Jesus himself that was speaking about this).

The only other direct giving is the sacrifice of our praise which is the fruit of our lips. . .

I read about one who said it should be a personal decision.

People must not be cadjuled to give to the work of God or the pastor in the name of tithe. Because that name alone references the giving to the law.

Other pastors will say Abraham gave tithe before the law - I ask a simple question, in Hebrews. 11, Abraham's name was mentioned most in that record of faith, why was his act of tithing not mentioned or omitted?

Again when he tithed, was he commanded by God? The levites (priests) were asked not to tithe because they had already paid their tithes while in Abraham's blossom.

What does scripture say about us - We ARE: A choose generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people....
So are we not King priests like Melchizedek ? (by virtue of which we all are qualified to receive tithe)

HEAR ME CLEARLY: There is no special blessing for the one who tithes in our days (The grace dispensation) ORDER than
1. The principle of giving and receiving at work.
2. The blessing God gives to people for honoring him with their substance (by giving towards his work) - This drives the prophesy that said "through prosperity shall thy nation's be spread abroad"
3. The blessing that follows one who gives to an anointed one (A man of God).

Where a born again child of God is, there is nothing like devourer and certainly nothing to rebuke. If there is anything to rebuke, the believer always has the irrevocable authority which is not attached to any laws.
"whatsoever you bind on earth. .."

That error in the body of Christ is totally unnecessary. People should be taught to give from their heart. Remember - Paul warned us of giving out of compulsion (It is indirect compulsion, at least no body in their ignorance wants the devourer to devour their finances).

I'll respond to you with the questions below:

why did God as the Israelites to pay one-tenth of their harvest as tithe to the priest?

does the church of today have needs and expenses to be met?

what do you think should be the best way for church to raise money to cater for it's expenses and the work of God?

do you think God that said in his word that there are blessings in giving and tithing is a liar?

bro, try read the word of God with understanding?
stay blessed!
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by desiredhome: 9:53pm On Nov 27, 2018
jadyclem:

what proof do you have that pastors are embezzling money paid as tithe? if you've worked in a church before you'll know that most churches have lots of expenses. most churches pay instrumentalists, choir directors, pastor's assistant, secretaries and other senior and junior pastors. So you can't really say for sure that pastors are enriching themselves with church money.

if you no the number of people some churches are sponsoring in school and assisting, bro you'll be very amazed. that's why I said judgement should be left to God. pastors are much different from politicians and money paid as tithe and offering is different from tax payers money that the politicians are embezzling. What a church does with money you've given to God should be non of your business because you were not forced to give the money to God or the church. but what the politicians do with our taxes is our business because we were compelled to pay such taxes

if a church raised Money for a project and the project wasn't executed, the members have every right to know what happened to the money. such scenario is different from tithe and offering. tithe and offering are for the maintenance of the church, the ministers and the work of God. bro church get many expenses o! if you've not worked in a church before you won't know that most churches are paying many people from tithe and offering. like I said before, let God be the judge. stay blessed.

The question you should ask yourself is if not for tithes, offering, seeds etc they do in the Churches will there be Churches everywhere as it is today?
How come despite the Churches everywhere crime is increasing?
It is only in Nigeria that any body that has no job suddenly opens a Church, so Church is now source of income, on top peoples head (the gullible ones)
The Lord has given you sound mind II Timothy 1:7.

The Church of God is not the gigantic building you spend billions on, the Church is the you, the me, the people in it. the reason for the offering or money is to meet the needs of the needy among you, today your greedy/selfish pastorprenour has twisted it to favour them. They only preach Malachi 3:10, bring to the house that there will be meat in the store house, yet there is no meat in their store house.
Of what use is the billions naira buildings you are competing to build (the biggest Church) when over 60% of it's members are hungry/poor?
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by jadyclem(m): 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2018
desiredhome:

The question you should ask yourself is if not for tithes, offering, seeds etc they do in the Churches will there be Churches everywhere as it is today?
How come despite the Churches everywhere crime is increasing?
It is only in Nigeria that any body that has no job suddenly opens a Church, so Church is now source of income, on top peoples head (the gullible ones)
The Lord has given you sound mind II Timothy 1:7.

The Church of God is not the gigantic building you spend billions on, the Church is the you, the me, the people in it. the reason for the offering or money is to meet the needs of the needy among you, today your greedy/selfish pastorprenour has twisted it to favour them. They only preach Malachi 3:10, bring to the house that there will be meat in the store house, yet there is no meat in their store house.
Of what use is the billions naira buildings you are competing to build (the biggest Church) when over 60% of it's members are hungry/poor?

is church responsible for the increase in crime? imagine if there were no churches how the crime rate would have been. I see that you're not getting my point because your mind is already made up to speak I'll against churches and pastors. carry on en! bye
Re: Should You Be Paying Tithe While You're Owing People Money? — Nigerian Man by desiredhome: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2018
jadyclem:

is church responsible for the increase in crime? imagine if there were no churches how the crime rate would have been. I see that you're not getting my point because your mind is already made up to speak I'll against churches and pastors. carry on en! bye
Well I don't know how long you've given your life to God or a Christian, years back when there were less Churches, there was relatively peace in the society, more love among brethren and contentment and above all respect for God, today the GOs has turned Christianity to a private businesses, no longer seeking God and righteousness, instead of Spirituality what you hear is Materialism, taking advantage of the poverty in the land to manipulate the ignorant/gullible Nigerians.
No more sound doctrine from the pulpit, all you hear is money, seed etc, not minding how they make the money. Every body want to get the money by all means.
When you use the church contribution to build School in the name of Church School, at the end the same members can't afford the School, that is a scam,
Its only the rich and politicians that are stealing the country dry that can afford such schools, are you not part of the destruction of the society?
The pastors are worst than the politicians,
There is nothing like hatred, if you are a true Christian you should do the right thing, Christianity is not about material wealth, what they are practicing is Manmon. Take care, Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Daily Fountain Devotional Guide 2019 (Anglican Communion) / How To Train Your Dragons – Killing Pet Sins Before They Kill You / Where Is My God-given Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.