Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31246 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 8:42pm On Apr 04, 2006
@ okenzo, would be nice if you would post in small letters and not shout(use all caps). what exactly do you want to know about Linux? We have stated quite a number of resources for downloading and using linux as your operating system.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Rhodalyn(f): 8:44pm On Apr 04, 2006
Niggy:

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 04, 2006
Rhody what are you doing in this thread? i will recompile your kernel, fsck your booty disks and rmmod your defences, then i will send you to /dev/null.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:34pm On Apr 04, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy U're really on me today grin grin grin grin why's dat angry angry angry
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 04, 2006
cos i like you that's why

Cos i'm toyr worst nightmare cool
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by thekrafter(m): 9:46pm On Apr 04, 2006
grin grin

Na wa for you o Gridlock!! You'll soon start talking about unzip[/b]ping, [b]touch[/b]ing, then [b]finger, partitioning, then mount, umount and sleep.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by thekrafter(m): 9:47pm On Apr 04, 2006
Rhodalyn:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy U're really on me today grin grin grin grin why's that angry angry angry

He is?? shocked shocked
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:47pm On Apr 04, 2006
Gridlock:

because i like you that's why

Cos i'm toyr worst nightmare cool
shameeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tongue tongue tongue i dnt like U angry angry angry               grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 04, 2006
now u cracking me up! omg! hahahahahaha!

nice one.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:48pm On Apr 04, 2006
thekrafter:

He is?? shocked shocked
cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked shocked shocked nt on me as in . . . . wink on me as in he wan dey ma top today angry cheesy cheesy
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 04, 2006
Rhody u are ruining this thread. oya let us carry our fight to https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-9014.0.html before somebody gets upset.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by seyiox(m): 11:47am On Apr 05, 2006
i've been using linux for the past four years and since then my cdrom drive hasn't "touched" a windows installation CD. Anyway my point is this linux is fast and it gives you so much flexibility that you will overlook some minor issues with it (i.e you actually need to learn). The real reason why i feel nigerian PC users should migrate to linux is this if you cant afford to get an original windows OS with all the packeges ORIGINAL and not "otigba". Then move to linux 'cause you probably will get the same and you won't be drawn into this software piracy madness. Face it! windows says you are pirating my software and i will sue you but the keep allowing you to go on that way you become so dependent on windows. That what i call e-slavery.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by allonym: 6:54pm On Apr 09, 2006
. . . I don't think anyone advocating windows is simultaneously advocating piracy.

I would definitely suggest linux as an alternative if one cannot afford windows.

I've had my current . . . hard drive (with windows installed) for almost a year now. This hard drive migrates from laptop to laptop and I've never had to reinstall windows. I'd expect that I could do this with linux (assuming that the components could use the same drivers) and with a mac os, assuming i'm transferring the hard drive to an identical laptop. Windows is the only OS in my experience which can achieve seamless transfer from one machine to another one which is radically different.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:08pm On Apr 12, 2006
@Niggy, like I promised, I upgraded Amarok to 1.4 beta 3 today and it rocks. It now has a built in lyrics manager to download lyrics of your mp3s and also an artist manager which links to wikipedia to give you info on the artist right in amarok.

I also noticed a mood thing which will play tunes according to how its been rated. All in all, a wonderful tool.

BTW,once my adsl is upgraded next week,am going to dl and install FC5 just to give it a whirl. keep u posted on dat
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 12:15pm On Apr 13, 2006
I'm already missing Fedora core 4 sad

I m currently up to date on the latest fedora release. CORE 5
Thanks to some good friend dat just brought it to ma door step.(Mayowa, u are the best!)
I've been doin lot of studin on core 5 and will soon post my review on it. Many things have changed really.
L8a.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 1:04pm On Apr 13, 2006
Just installed amarok-1.4 beta. It ROCKs!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 1:49pm On Apr 13, 2006
Was just wondering, is it not possible to upgrade FC4 to FC5? Debian distros can be upgraded using apt. For example, I installed Ubuntu 5.10 and on finishing, changed my repositoris to those for dapper and ran apt-get dist-upgrade in konsole to get my system upgraded to the latest possible system.

Can rpm based systems like FC and Suse do this?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 2:38pm On Apr 13, 2006
Don't know bt i think i always prefer a clean installation
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 3:37pm On Apr 13, 2006
so u have a separate partition for your /home? Thats what I do, so weda am using Kubuntu, Mepis, Suse, Kanotix or whatever, then I still have all my settings intact.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 4:03pm On Apr 13, 2006
i use only one distro, so i don't bother about dat
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 4:36pm On Apr 13, 2006
LOL, am a distro-LovePeddler but I seem to have settled down with (K)Ubuntu for now at least but will like to try FC5 for a couple of days next week.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 4:55pm On Apr 13, 2006
shocked, don't think i like any of this *buntu. Too joking for me.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:03pm On Apr 13, 2006
My Core 5. Feel it.

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 8:18pm On Apr 13, 2006
Saw this report somewhere. What do you guys think?

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Apr 13, 2006
@Niggy: Hey i just messed up my FC4 install, (while experimenting with fdisk); my CDs have a bad checksum (surprise after 6 months of use) and i was wondering if u could help me with that? downloading takes forever, and my ISP has the bittorrent ports blocked.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 1:26pm On Apr 14, 2006
you are not specific with the problem.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 10:16pm On Apr 14, 2006
I think he was messing about with Fdisk and somehow dabaru'd his partition table so he needs to reinstall but he aint gat no install disks
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 10:07am On Apr 17, 2006
Jogego and Niggy can you guys help me with detailed instructions on installing and running VMWare and WINE on Ubuntu?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 10:52pm On Apr 17, 2006
I don't use either but you can check out this sites for detailed instructions:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wine?highlight=%28wine%29

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingVMWare?action=show&redirect=VmWare+guide%3A+How+to+install+VMware+in+Breezy

Just do a search in Ununtu wiki for them.

g luck

by the way, what program are u trying to run?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 1:43am On Apr 19, 2006
Snapshot of my new Mepis installtion. Took 3 hours to download the .iso, and unbelievably 15 minutes to install. This on a P2 lappy. I finally got kbfx to work. Upgraded amarok to 1.4 beta as u can see. Will start dling FC5 later today.

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Zahymaka(m): 3:20am On Apr 19, 2006
Jogego -- please where can I download mepis. It's thrilling me.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 11:21am On Apr 19, 2006
@ Zahymaka, he he he, www.mepis.org and the actual download site is

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/testing/

what you need there is the 6.0 Alpha. For an alpha software this is really something. It is based on the Ubuntu software framework. The new Ubuntu 6.06(http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight6?highlight=%28flight%29%7C%286%29) has a new installler called espresso and it installed in less than 30 minutes.Cos I was used to 1 hour for it, I didnt bother to time it, but will time it when I re-install again.

Mepis has an advantage over Ubuntu which is that all codecs are pre installed so flash sites, java sites etc work out of the box, also you can play wma files because the win32 codecs are pre installed as well. Amarok just worked without any tweaking unlike in Ubuntu. Since its based on Ubuntu, i wonder what will happen if I did apt-get install ubuntu-desktop? It should work since gnome desktop is in the software repositories.

I prefer to use the GDM login window because i can change it to whatever I want.The icon theme am using is from KDE-look.org and is called metagold. Desktop wallpaper is off KDE-look as well.

BTW, is anybody using the new firefox? Mine seems to just shut down? Is this a bug or what? I have had these happen on two diff linux machines but its stable on my imac so far

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Windows 8: The Thread / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.