Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School (1064 Views)

He Is Your Son, But I Am Not Going For Any DNA Test. Wife Tells Husband(video) / Trendsviva Haute Fashion School Scholarship Is Back! / Trendsviva Haute Fashion School/ With our Bespoke styles. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by wonyi: 9:28am On Nov 28, 2018
Good day Family,

Deciding between going for my PGD in education or Registering in a Fashion school has being a tough cookie.

I am a chemical engineering graduate with a 2.2 from a prestigious university. Immediately after graduation I started teaching and I have 5 years experience in teaching . Although while teaching, I did some courses in safety (not NEBOSH) and Chemical Engineering ((HYSYS and PDMS) just to prepare me for a chemical engineering job. Still searching and yet to get a job in my field, although ready to work for free for some time as long as I will be trained and absorbed into the organisation after the stipulated time.

Currently not working but intend building a career or learning a skill.

BUILDING A CAREER
since I have five years in experience in teaching and I have a passion for supporting young students, I thought of going for a post graduate diploma in education. My choice of school is NOUN (NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA).

Reasons
1. It's flexible (online learning)
2. No strike
3. No need for accommodation
4. The finance is quite affordable
5. I can use it to gain some points while making moves
for Canadian immigration.
6. I can be certified as an educator/teacher

But my fear is
1. Will any reputation federal/state University(Nigeria) accept my certificate for masters?
2.can I further my education abroad with NOUN CERTIFICATE if eventually I succeed in my Canadian moves?

LEARNING A SKILL
I prefer tailoring. Current location is Port Harcourt. After a year of intensive training,I should be able to sew nice dresses. Cost of registering in a Fashion School is 150k. Then purchasing sewing machine and other important equipment.

Reasons
1. I will be my own boss
2. Start earning money for myself
3. Build a business empire,employ skilled tailors and also make money from students registering for internship/training.

THE COST FOR BOTH IS ALMOST THE SAME. GOING WITH THE TREND OF UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN NIGERIA, CURRENTLY IN A FIX.

PLEASE FAMILY, LET'S DISCUSS.
Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by eluquenson(m): 9:37am On Nov 28, 2018
Follow your instincts.

But my piece of advice is go for the tailoring.

My situation might be different from yours but Nigeria today needs multiple streams of income.
Dangote is a good example, anyway is a way.

After your studies and you started working, two things are involved, either you get a lucrative job or otherwise. Then plan B will knock, but time might be insufficient.

Learn your vocational skills now.

2 Likes

Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by okirewaju(f): 12:09pm On Nov 28, 2018
Fashion designing

1 Like

Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by seyigiggle: 12:13pm On Nov 28, 2018
whatever makes you independent

1 Like

Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by Funky123(f): 2:30pm On Nov 28, 2018
I will advice you go for fashion designing,there is no job anywhere in the country and even after PGD,That might not increase your pay as a teacher because they don't pay well expect it's government sch......Now,learning in fashion school has made everything easy as no one is going to ask you to wash children's cloth or run errands and if your canada visa clicked.....Then you can continue schooling there and still be doing your fashion designing. I wish you the best in whichever you choose.

1 Like

Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by eniolorunfe: 3:18pm On Nov 28, 2018
If you are really serious about migrating to Canada, then all your goals and objectives should be channeled towards achieving that and you shouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by wonyi: 9:40pm On Nov 28, 2018
eluquenson:
Follow your instincts.

But my piece of advice is go for the tailoring.

My situation might be different from yours but Nigeria today needs multiple streams of income.
Dangote is a good example, anyway is a way.

After your studies and you started working, two things are involved, either you get a lucrative job or otherwise. Then plan B will knock, but time might be insufficient.

Learn your vocational skills now.

Thank you
Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by wonyi: 9:40pm On Nov 28, 2018
eniolorunfe:

If you are really serious about migrating to Canada, then all your goals and objectives should be channeled towards achieving that and you shouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

Thank you
Funky123:
I will advice you go for fashion designing,there is no job anywhere in the country and even after PGD,That might not increase your pay as a teacher because they don't pay well expect it's government sch......Now,learning in fashion school has made everything easy as no one is going to ask you to wash children's cloth or run errands and if your canada visa clicked.....Then you can continue schooling there and still be doing your fashion designing. I wish you the best in whichever you choose.

Thank you
Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by wonyi: 9:41pm On Nov 28, 2018
okirewaju:
Fashion designing

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Going For A PGD Or Registering In A Fashion School by wonyi: 9:41pm On Nov 28, 2018
seyigiggle:
whatever makes you independent

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

This Photo Of A Cycling Woman Depicts The Industry Of African Women (PHOTO) / Nigerian Feminist, Ozzy Etomi Calls Out Her Dad For Calling For A Family Meeting / Don't Marry Him If He Won't Die For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.