Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To (2327 Views)

International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated / Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To / Chelsea Was Cheated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by blacksta(m): 11:22am On Jul 29, 2010
Diego Maradona broke his silence Wednesday, a day after he was sacked as the national coach of Argentina, and said he was betrayed and lied to.

In a scathing attack, he said that the chief of the Argentine football association (AFA), Julio Grondona, and co-coach Carlos Bilardo lied to him and cheated him. He made a brief statement to journalists in capital Buenos Aires.

The AFA announced late Tuesday that Maradona's contract as national coach would not be renewed.

AFA spokesman Cherquis Bialo announced the coach's departure after talks on Monday between Maradona and Grondona failed to produce an extension for a contract that expires on Saturday.

The AFA could not accept the conditions that Maradona had set before he would sign a contract extension to remain at the helm of the national team through the 2014 World Cup in neighbouring Brazil, Bialo said.

A legendary striker who led Argentina to a world championship in 1986, the 49-year-old Maradona coached a team that struggled to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

Once in South Africa, though, Argentina raised expectations by running overshod in the group stage with three straight wins. They followed with a 3-1 victory over Mexico in the Round of 16 before being knocked out in Cape Town with a 4-0 humiliation against Germany.

Maradona, who read from a prepared sheet Wednesday, said that Grondona lied to him at the World Cup. After the defeat against Germany, Grondona told him in the changing room in South Africa in front of witnesses, that he would remain coach, Maradona said.

But things changed after the team returned home, Maradona claimed, and he was told that seven of his assistant coaches would have to be replaced.

Maradona also lashed out at Bilardo, saying that "while we were mourning (our elimination at the World Cup), he worked in the shadows to make sure that I was kicked out."

http://goalzz.com/main.aspx?showarticle=74579&obj=0
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by blacksta(m): 11:27am On Jul 29, 2010
Maradona is definitely not a mentally stable man - He might have been a good player but unfortunately 98.9 % good players with wonderfull playing careers have failed woefully when transition as a Manager occurs.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by mukina2: 11:34am On Jul 29, 2010
aww big teddy bear got sacked sad grin
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by tobaina: 11:37am On Jul 29, 2010
blacksta:

Maradona is definitely not a mentally stable man -He might have been a good player but unfortunately 98.9 % good players with wonderfull playing careers have failed woefully when transition as a Manager occurs.

else i wud av said guardiola!!!
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by reubeno(m): 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2010
Sacking Maradona had long been over due, i understand that this job was giving to him just to keep him mute from criticising the FA's and to keep his troubles at arm length. this was a coach who had no respect for the AFA, Ex-footballers and even FIFA. Diego had little or no tactics of a coach, he attached personal grudge to the game of soccer, maradona is not a good idol to the younger generations going by his drug related issues, hand of god and his personal disrespect for FIFA. Moreso, his back office staff are the real coaches no wonder he initially said if he was going to take the job the back office staff must stay with him.

This is a lesson for other FA's world over, the job of a coach should be giving to the one who can deliver not to satisfy a certain group of people.

Kudos to the AFA for not alllowing maradona (drug inspired kolo man) to kill the game of football in Argentina.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by otokx(m): 12:34pm On Jul 29, 2010
Maradona looked quite pathetic at the press briefing.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by bisiaet: 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2010
Well I knew he will be fire. I think Maradona need more work on his caching ability be a good footballer does not guarantee be a good coach so I think he need to go for more coaching training before venturing to handle a national team and a team like Argentina.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by sirp2007: 12:48pm On Jul 29, 2010
who made this man coach in the 1st place?he is not mentally fit to occuppy such position.Hope their F A learn from this tongue
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by seedord247(m): 2:07pm On Jul 29, 2010
How i wish he win the world cup and see him naked
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by PurestBoy(m): 2:13pm On Jul 29, 2010
He should have been sacked the moment he announced the WC list not listing Zanneti and Cambiasso
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by franklincn(m): 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2010
at least he did better than the lagerbacks and capello that were mentally stable
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 29, 2010
Good Riddance,
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by bawomolo(m): 4:45pm On Jul 29, 2010
franklincn:

at least he did better than the lagerbacks and capello that were mentally stable

it wasn't that hard to get to the quarterfinal considering the competition he faced.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by mamagee3(f): 6:36pm On Jul 29, 2010
That man is just crazy. . .

He has graduated from boasting to being arrogant and now a crybaby. grin

Congrats to him!!!
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Acidosis(m): 6:52pm On Jul 29, 2010
Hmmn. . . Side effect of various drugs he used while he was a player
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 29, 2010
PurestBoy:

He should have been sacked the moment he announced the WC list not listing Zanneti and Cambiasso

You are deluded if you think those two, especially  37 year old Zanetti, would have made a blind bit of difference. They have never been that fantastic for Argentina
He did the best he could with the players he had.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 29, 2010
reubeno:

Sacking Maradona had long been over due, i understand that this job was giving to him just to keep him mute from criticising the FA's and to keep his troubles at arm length. this was a coach who had no respect for the AFA, Ex-footballers and even FIFA. Diego had little or no tactics of a coach, he attached personal grudge to the game of soccer, maradona is not a good idol to the younger generations going by his drug related issues, hand of god and his personal disrespect for FIFA. Moreso, his back office staff are the real coaches no wonder he initially said if he was going to take the job the back office staff must stay with him.

This is a lesson for other FA's world over, the job of a coach should be giving to the one who can deliver not to satisfy a certain group of people.

Kudos to the AFA for not alllowing maradona (drug inspired kolo man) to kill the game of football in Argentina.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. He was appointed because Argentina were in danger of not qualifying for the world cup. He took them to fifth place in this competition their highest position since 1990 and overall has won 18 out of  a total of 24 matches in charge. That is a win ratio a win ratio of 75%.
Moreover he was commited to bold attacking and entertaining football a  far cry from the regimented catenaccio tactics favoured by too many coaches at international level.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by canuck(m): 8:35pm On Jul 29, 2010
The koro-koro cheat and liar himself accusing someone else of the same.

I think he's showing withdrawal symptoms from the white powder.

Arrogance and bravado do not win football matches.

I won't be surprised if Nigeria hires Maradona  grin  grin  grin
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 29, 2010
^ Does timidity and fear win matches then?
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by canuck(m): 8:42pm On Jul 29, 2010
^ ^ ^
Yeye questions! Nor make me vex o!!!  angry

Technical competence, ability to read the game and a mild temperament serves a coach better - Rather than throwing tantrums on the sidelines and fighting fans.

Sharp guy like you suppose know na!  cheesy (I know you're a die-hard fan of Maradona - No wahala!)
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 29, 2010
Na you sabi. But I would rather have a coach with the passion and fire in his belly than boring workhorse mercenary.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by mamagee3(f): 9:12pm On Jul 29, 2010
tensor777:

^ Does timidity and fear win matches then?
grin cheesy grin
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Ltrust(m): 10:11am On Jul 30, 2010
But he is not a good coach!! We know that. You can't win matches with your words and statue alone. If I were him, I won't dabble into coaching. He has belittle himself already.

Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by jokingmary(m): 10:40am On Jul 30, 2010
Old Maradona has been disgraced embarassed
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 30, 2010
Ltrust:

But he is not a good coach!! We know that. You can't win matches with your words and statue alone. If I were him, I won't dabble into coaching. He has belittle himself already.

You are kidding yourself if you somehow imagine that this is the end of Maradona's coaching career. He has done reasonably well and given his antecedents and personality, I am sure he will bounce back from this setback.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by ddippset(m): 10:28am On Jul 31, 2010
there are ONLY two categories of coaches in the world. those who have been sacked and those who are yet 2 be sacked! all coaches get sacked. though others like jose mourinho who are over ambitious last a bit longer because they only go 2 clubs where they can be given billions 2 spend.
Re: Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 03, 2010
nooooooo i liked maradona he made football funny to watch!!!!!!! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

(1) (Reply)

Who Knows Whereabout Of Reuben Agboola? / Authentic Vs Replica Jerseys - How To Know The Difference / 2007/2008 Champions League Draw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.