Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,240 members, 7,957,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:05 PM

International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated (2359 Views)

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say / London 2012: Nigeria Was Disqualified In 4x400 Women's Relay / Maradona Hits Back, Says He Was Cheated And Lied To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Rossikk(m): 3:55pm On Jul 01, 2014
15 comments
Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10937034/France-v-Nigeria-Stephen-Keshi-accuses-American-referee-Mark-Geiger-of-being-biased-towards-Les-Bleus.html

Join the discussion…

johnny • 24 minutes ago

More result management from FIFA. Refs fixing results in the sure knowledge that they will never be sanctioned by FIFA because they are just carrying out FIFA's instructions. This is the most predictable World Cup there has ever been, and its not chance, big team wins, every time.

GKNEN • 2 hours ago

France should have been down to 9 men. Debuchy nearly broke Onazi's leg - it was a clear Red Card; and Giroud elbowed Mikel in the face - a clear Red Card - and the ref gave a yellow instead!

Nigeria should have been playing against 9 Frenchmen. I understand why Keshi is annoyed. When push come to elbow and leg breaker, the big nations always get the decisions.

I am sure Nigeria, who were giving 11 Frenchmen a tough old time, would have beaten 9 of them.

A. Tourney • 3 hours ago

Wow, do I need a tinfoil hat to join this discussion? Seriously, although the officiatingf as a whole has been suspect in this WC, this particular game was pretty solid. The offiside call was 100% correct - check the photo stills. The bad tackle could have gone red, but that's a judgment call, and one that is much more difficult to make in the speed of play and without the benefit of watching replays in slow motion over and over again. The fact is that Geiger and Co. called this game consistently for both sides. They allowed a more physical game and, as we like to say in America, they "let the boys play." This is one of several concepts that Euros and other foreign "futbol" fans can't figure out. Calls need to be balanced over the match, and certain calls should be avoided ay certain times so as not to materially affect the outcome of the game. (There is not better example of this than the dreaded stoppage-time penalty kick award; such a call should be avoided absent the most egregious circumstances. To draw an analogy with basketball, it's like calling a foul on the team leading by 20 points with 5 seconds left and awarding the trailing team 30 foul shots. Soccer - football, futbol, whatever - really needs to figure this out.) Both teams benefitted from this approach yesterday. And by the way, we Americans harbor many biases for sure - but favoring the FRENCH is certainly not one of them. What a ridiculous notion!

CockneyCat A. Tourney • 31 minutes ago

"Calls need to be balanced over the match, and certain calls should be avoided ay certain times so as not to materially affect the outcome of the game."

Wrong. All "calls" should be made as per the rules of the game and applied at all times, from the kick-off to the final whistle.

Theo Bear • 3 hours ago

The foul on Onazi was bordering on barbaric. As soon as I saw it, I could tell Matuidi had probably broken the guy's ankle, yet the referee could barely even bring himself to give Matuidi a yellow card, let alone a straight red. Had Matuidi walked, I think Nigeria would probably have won the game. There's a lot of very poor and downright suspicious officiating at this World Cup. It's a real shame because most of the football has been very good.

bushmaster80 • 6 hours ago

Ridiculous, bordering on scandalous, the officiating at this World Cup.

See also the Algerians last night against the Germans, every little coming together resulting in a German free-kick.

Has there been any concentrated study into the favouring of the 'big teams' with regards to contentious decisions? This can't just be perceived.

Philip Michael Hunt • 7 hours ago

I think that the Nigerian manager has a point, calls regularly went against Nigeria and the offside was anything but. Maybe FIFA wanted the big European countries to get through, perhaps to protect their sponsorship revenues, who knows.

Certainly, it helps that there is no offside detection technology or video referee to assist the referee in case anyone wants to deliberately skew the results of the match.

splatterpuss • 7 hours ago

Considering the Suarez ban for biting, it's almost comical that Matuidi didn't even get a red, let alone a ban, for the worst tackle of the world cup.

With a more egalitarian ref last night it's doubtful France would've even gone through with a man down. They seem to be having the luck of the Gods. Enjoyable world cup...but a very smelly one...

anothersmallcog splatterpuss • 2 hours ago

Yup
A wee bite is a damn site less important than a broken ankle, although getting the press and pundits to see that might be difficult.

roskolongdog • 7 hours ago

he may have a point because the refin the germany game seemed biased against algeria.it s impossible to prove though and too late to do any
classwillout • 7 hours ago

About as much substance as a commission for getting millions trapped in a bank bank out of central Africa...

rafaista • 13 hours ago

The Evra incident was a clear penalty. Africans don't complain or pressure the ref. As for kicking Onazi so they win and control the midfield, it worked. Matuidi was committing fouls all day. France were average. What is this hype about Pogba. Keshi must take the blame, too. He didn't change his set up to for the extra man in midfield. He is inflexible as a coach. Onazi and Mikel as receivers were coming under pressure. Keshi did nothing. Playing Moses was a terrible decision too. He was awful. The team's fitness was also poor. The players were clearly not fit for the final 20. So disappointing.

Philip Michael Hunt rafaista • 7 hours ago

Agreed, for the most part Nigeria had the better of France but the referee helped to even things out a little and give France a good chance.

redcardtheref • 13 hours ago

RedCardTheRef was about the only website I saw who reported the errors as they happened on Twitter and posted a review of the match immediately following. But nice follow-up by the telegraph.

Puckhead48E • 14 hours ago

There was no infringement....unless you count offside. Then...well...oh well. The tackle could have easily (and I feel should have) been a red. However, he missed the ball vice going over the ball, and the officials let them play throughout the match. And if we are going to start calling bear-hugs in the box a penalty, then the Italians and pretty much every South American team would have been down to 9 players and behind by multiple goals in every match they played.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 01, 2014
Nonsense.
When the ref was disallowing the legitimate Bosnia goal, the international community was on strike,ba?

Nigerians and this silly victim mentality.

We had a team that was obviously not ready in any form or fashion, yet we want to blame a ref for our inability to progress past the round of 16.

We were not good enough. simple and short.

1 Like

Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Rossikk(m): 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard: Nonsense.
When the ref was disallowing the legitimate Bosnia goal, the international community was on strike,ba? Nigerians and this silly victim mentality.
Many fans aired their views on the Bosnia game. But these are the knockout stages of the WC so the standard of officiating is more critical, and is watched more closely by fans... Not sure why you're attacking ''Nigerians'' for the comments made by foreigners.

1 Like

Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 01, 2014
Who b d international fan??
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by thorpido(m): 4:25pm On Jul 01, 2014
When the ref was disallowing the legitimate Bosnia goal, the international community was on strike,ba?

We had a team that was obviously not ready in any form or fashion, yet we want to blame a ref for our inability to progress past the round of 16.

Referees make mistakes,that does not mean it should be a trend that it has been in this world cup.
The international community criticises every game but the Nigerian match showed the referee favoured the bigger 'name' France.If it was a Nigerian that gave that Matuidi tackle,it would have been a straight red.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by alhajimikehell(m): 4:28pm On Jul 01, 2014

is dis retardded bullshiter a mad?....huz side r u on?.....d ref was biased against 9ja xterday and u know t.....close tu 3 P.Ks dat we were denied....d only player i might wonna blame z moses...dat niqqa z wack....i been tink say d guy sabi ball oo....

1 Like

Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Rossikk(m): 4:28pm On Jul 01, 2014
thorpido: Referees make mistakes,that does not mean it should be a trend that it has been in this world cup.
The international community criticises every game but the Nigerian match showed the referee favoured the bigger 'name' France. If it was a Nigerian that gave that Matuidi tackle, it would have been a straight red.

True.

1 Like

Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 01, 2014
alhaji mikehell: is dis retarded bullshiter a mad?....huz side r u on?.....d ref was biased against 9ja xterday and u know t.....close tu 3 P.Ks dat we were denied....d only player i might wonna blame z moses...dat niqqa z wack....i been tink say d guy sabi ball oo....
See your coherence.
did you even graduate at all?And you have the nerve to call me slow.
You write like a dyslexic m0r0n.

Type in simple English and get off the drugs. Just say no.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by alhajimikehell(m): 4:30pm On Jul 01, 2014
thorpido: Referees make mistakes,that does not mean it should be a trend that it has been in this world cup.
The international community criticises every game but the Nigerian match showed the referee favoured the bigger 'name' France.If it was a Nigerian that gave that Matuidi tackle,it would have been a straight red.
abeg no mind dat starfish-brained maggot
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by alhajimikehell(m): 4:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2014
Rossikk: Many fans aired their views on the Bosnia game. But these are the knockout stages of the WC so the standard of officiating is more critical, and is watched more closely by fans... Not sure why you're attacking ''Nigerians'' for the comments made by foreigners.

i do not support double standards.

I did not see any Nigerians go even close to mentioning that Bosnia had a legitimate goal chalked off to have taken the lead. Yet we are barking because of decisions that didn't go our way when it was obvious that our team was fragile to be diplomatic.

So where this phantom "International" Comunity of fans suddenly appeared from irks me to say the least.

Moral of the story: Do your homework first before howling that you've been marked wrongly. Nigerians just want to play the victim for the sake of it and nothing more.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2014
alhaji mikehell: abeg no mind dat starfish-brained maggot

I'm sure your mother breast-fed you with watery goat milk as an infant.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by alhajimikehell(m): 4:35pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:

I'm sure your mother breast-fed you with watery goat milk as an infant.
..dont have time for peeps like u...#ignored
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 01, 2014
alhaji mikehell: ..dont have time for peeps like u...#ignored
But you started the name calling.

Don't weasel out, nematode. Bring the noise, chicken livered coward.

You can't even type in simple English and you cannot argue without name calling yet you suddenly realize you are out of time

You are a gay.got with a candle stuck in your an.al cavity.

Your mum should have aborted you and your dad probably regrets wasting his 2rml of seminal fluid in conceiving you.

Get back to me when we can debate in simple English since your education is social media-based. That's why you type like an infant wit hthree fingers.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by slex(m): 4:37pm On Jul 01, 2014
FIFA is a fraud na today? Eminike goal was not offside. Evra fouled osaze. Remember the brazil crotia match?how was the penalty given?no be the same holding in the box? Why matuidi and giroud were not given red cards only that daft american ref knows
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Rossikk(m): 4:38pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:

i do not support double standards.

I did not see any Nigerians go even close to mentioning that Bosnia had a legitimate goal chalked off to have taken the lead. Yet we are barking because of decisions that didn't go our way when it was obvious that our team was fragile to be diplomatic.

So where this phantom "International" Comunity of fans suddenly appeared from irks me to say the least.

Moral of the story: Do your homework first before howling that you've been marked wrongly. Nigerians just want to play the victim for the sake of it and nothing more.

Dude, what is your problem? Are you saying we should not say anything after Onazi was deliberately taken out of the game by the dirtiest tackle in the world cup, with the offender not sent off? In this world you need to stand up for yourself, or you will be taken for a ride by others. If someone took out say Pirlo like that with no red card issued, do you think the Italians would keep quiet?
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
Rossikk:

Dude, what is your problem? Are you saying we should not say anything after Onazi was deliberately taken out of the game by the dirtiest tackle in the world cup, with the offender not sent off? In this world you need to stand up for yourself, or you will be taken for a ride by others.

Rewind. Because I'm not sure you watched that game.

Onazi was first injured in the 8th minute.
He probably wasn't 100% when the incident occured.
Peeps get tackled like that and continue the game. So stop wetting yourself in an attempt to justify your inane position.

I ask again: was this team worthy of a quarter final place? That for me is the issue.

Aside Enyeama, who consistently put in any kind of decent performance for us to be crying at the ref all through this campaign?

Get rational and lay off the sentiments.

Stand up for yourself? I laugh. So why didn't the Bosnians cry blue murder when a legit goal that was dsiallowed (which could be argued probably cost them qualification to the last 16 round)

The shoe is on the other foot and we're whining like teenage b*tches when we didn't do our homework.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Rossikk(m): 4:46pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:

Rewind.

Peeps get tackled like that and continue. So stop wetting yourself in an attempt to justify your inane position.

The guy suffered a career-threatening tackle that likely broke his ankle and all you can type is this pigshiit? Are u mad?
I ask again: was this team worthy of a quarter final place?

A reasonably FAIR game would have revealed that.

Stand up for yourself? I laugh. So why didn't the Bosnians cry blue murder when a legit goal that was dsiallowed (which could be argued probably cost them qualification to the last 16 round)

Unless you've been living under a rock, you would know the Bosnians and the entire international media, made a HUGE deal of that disallowed goal. To the point an online campaign to reverse the decision gathered over 25,000 signatures!!
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2014
Those guys were really targeting Onazi through the whole game.
TWO DIFFERENT TIMES, they slid and got away with it.

Then the elbow from Giroud...?
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 01, 2014
Rossikk:

The guy suffered a career-threatening tackle that likely broke his ankle and all you can type is this pigshiit? Are u mad?

Boy I'm done with you.

I can see why no one takes you seriously on the Politics section.
Apparently reasoning isn't your strongest suite.

Rossikk:

A reasonably FAIR game would have revealed that.
clutching at possibilities instead of facts is an example of an insecure fellow.
A reasonably fair game in which you were outplayed in every area of the game?
You are a dunce beyond comprehension if that is your answer.

Rossikk:

Unless you've been living under a rock, you would know the Bosnians and the entire international media, made a HUGE deal of that disallowed goal. To the point an online campaign to reverse the decision gathered over 25,000 signatures!!
Unless you're stu.pid by default, then you should stop crying ref when a similar incident from which you benefited from earlier on comes around to bite you in the a$$.
Kapish.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 01, 2014
bboiabb: Those guys were really targeting Onazi through the whole game.
TWO DIFFERENT TIMES, they slid and got away with it.
Then the elbow from Giroud...?
Yeah Onazi was our Zidane who was going to change the game in our favor till he was kicked out.

You Nigerians make me laugh really.
The same Onazi who has been stinking up the whole joint in all the games he appered in suddenly becomes our Messiah while Musa who scored two superb goals vs Argentina completed the game.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Rossikk(m): 5:04pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:
Boy I'm done with you.

I can see why no one takes you seriously on the Politics section.
Apparently reasoning isn't your strongest suite.
Not sure where riffraff like you emerged to tell us what goes on ''in the politics section''.

A reasonably fair game in which you were outplayed in every area of the game?

You must have been watching a different game from the rest of the planet. What other effects of cocaine can you muster?

Unless you're stu.pid by default, then you should stop crying ref when a similar incident from which you benefited from earlier on comes around to bite you in the a$$.
Kapish.

So you now agree the Bosnians ''cried blue murder'', do you? I thought you claimed they didn't until I proved otherwise? Do you suck white nuts for fun or do you get paid for it?
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by omar22(m): 5:41pm On Jul 01, 2014
We lost the game due to 2 people

Enyeama's error and Keshi's substitution.

The disallowed goals was a wrong call from referees assistance not the referee. Nigerians always blame the ref after we loose a crucial game, When Onazi went off, who did Keshi sent on? one of his pay players? the hole was there to see by everyone, this gave the French the impetus to have a real go at us. The tackle wasnt deliberate or over the top with his studs showing, Onazi was unfortunate that the French caught his ankle, but please blaming the ref is like clutching at straws. Keshi had the chance to change the game by sending a target man (Shola) and drop Emenike a little deep, which will trouble the French's defence, Keshi did nothing, Keshi didnt react when Didier Deschamp moved Benzema into the middle and brought on the speedy winger, am sorry blaming the ref, FIFA or Sepp blatter is like crying over spilt milk.

The goal Pogba scored deflated the whole team which came from Enyeama's error
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by macof(m): 5:51pm On Jul 01, 2014

I don't know if you are just being stupid or ignorant

in the Bosnia match, they got the goal they deserved but was ruled out...everybody knows that, and we all condemned it. Bosnia are a good side.

These comments aren't Nigerian, so jst shut ur mouth

this is a world cup round of 16, officiating should be at it's best
One wrong call shouldn't be accepted in this critical stage
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by macof(m): 5:54pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:

Peeps get tackled like that and continue the game. So stop wetting yourself in an attempt to justify your inane position.

I ask again: was this team worthy of a quarter final place? That for me is the issue.

Aside Enyeama, who consistently put in any kind of decent performance for us to be crying at the ref all through this campaign?

The shoe is on the other foot and we're whining like teenage b*tches when we didn't do our homework.

You are really mad, so if I give u such a tackle and walked away without a single caution you would see it fair?

Surely you have no medium for information and enlightenment
The Bosnia match has received much more blasting than you know

I blame your ignorance
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:
Yeah Onazi was our Zidane who was going to change the game in our favor till he was kicked out.

You Nigerians make me laugh really.
The same Onazi who has been stinking up the whole joint in all the games he appered in suddenly becomes our Messiah while Musa who scored two superb goals vs Argentina completed the game.

Comments like these make it obvious that you have no idea on how to analyse a game. Is it a coincidence that France applied pressure IMMEDIATELY after Onazi went off and they scored in under 20mins whereas we were playing better the whole game.

Please shut up because you have nothing smart to say...Bye.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by Ryabcool(m): 7:03pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:

You can't even type in simple English and you cannot argue without name calling yet you suddenly realize you are out of time

Your mum should have aborted you and your dad probably regrets wasting his 2rml of seminal fluid in conceiving you.

Get back to me when we can debate in simple English since your education is social media-based. That's why you type like an infant wit hthree fingers.
Guy, STFU.
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by hollandis(f): 7:09pm On Jul 01, 2014
slaves undecided
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by meforyou1(m): 7:48pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:

u are a stuupid bafoon. Fool
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by zanga420: 8:58pm On Jul 01, 2014
bboiabb:

Comments like these make it obvious that you have no idea on how to analyse a game. Is it a coincidence that France applied pressure IMMEDIATELY after Onazi went off and they scored in under 20mins whereas we were playing better the whole game.

Please shut up because you have nothing smart to say...Bye.
This just summarizes the whole argument. The ref didnt do his job
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by halmeyd(m): 9:22pm On Jul 01, 2014
StarBoard:

seun abeg we nid dislike-buttons nd slap-buttons
Re: International Fans Say Nigeria Was Cheated by igbo2011(m): 2:57am On Jul 14, 2014
Ivory Coast got cheated. THey could have beat Costa Rica too, I am still mad about that1!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Footballer Who Has Both Male And Female Organs Cannot Have Sex, cries / Former Super Eagles defender, Efe Sodje Jailed For Taking Charity Money / Sport Bettings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.