Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,357 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. (71465 Views)

Detailed Guidelines For Buying A Car From Auctionexport.com / case closed / Car Buying From Cotonou @a Negotiable Price Now:08098443710,o.nana2011@gmail.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Nobody: 4:50am On Aug 01, 2010
A car buying tips and guidelines thread, designed to help NLers have a fullfilling and rewarding buying experience both on NL and elsewhere, is currently being planned.

I hereby seek short and to-the-point suggestions for inclusion in the final guideline. This thread will remain open for a couple of weeks after which a guide comprising of useful suggestions will be posted as a permanent sticky in this section.

All forumites are invited to make contributions. The hope is that, issues such as discussed in the "Preorder Mess" thread, will become a thing of the past, as NLers would be armed with more useful information.

Monitor_1
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by alabi4good(m): 7:36am On Aug 01, 2010
@ monitor_1,
       nice thread u gat  on here.I have a complain to make, i posted something this morning and to my greatest surprise, i was banned from posting.so i wonder what might have caused it cos i cant just comprehend.My user name is ademlabi so do get back to me on possible solution.

thnks.

1 Like

Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 01, 2010
alabi4good:

@ monitor_1,
nice thread u gat on here.I have a complain to make, i posted something this morning and to my greatest surprise, i wasd banned from posting.so i wonder what moght have caused it cos i cant just comprehend.My user name is ademlabi so do get back to me on possible solution.

thnks.

I've submitted your userid to the supermod investigation and possible resolution.

Monitor_1
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by limsneto(m): 4:26am On Aug 03, 2010
Hello Every One. It feels good to be back. When buying your new car, please remenber to insure it against all forms unforseen calamities. To know how to that, go to http://www.autoinsurancematters..com
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by ChristaD(f): 9:40am On Aug 03, 2010
This is a great post for those who are on their way to buying a new car. And an auto dealer exemption was signed into the financial reform bill. Auto dealers are more likely to deceive buyers since the auto lending regulation is no longer in place.

I found this here: Auto dealer exemption means first time car buyers must be wary

In case you are thinking about getting your first auto, these are the things you have to know first. They also need to do their homework before they get auto financing.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Olori(m): 4:53pm On Aug 04, 2010
wonderful thread.

pls all NL in the industry oblige us with what to look out for when making an auto choice, and those presently using any model to could share their experiences with the house esp with the maintenance.

good thinking
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by femy2010(m): 12:00pm On Aug 07, 2010
Great day Monitor,
I was trying to post on add on my thread when this came up.

Sorry femmy2010, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: Posting a message that seems like spam.
If this is a mistake, we're so sorry about this.

I would very much appreciate if you can kindly help me look into it as i do nothing close to spam.
Thanks for your anticipated response to my request.
Have a sweetest weekend and God bless.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 08, 2010
femy2010:

Great day Monitor,
I was trying to post on add on my thread when this came up.

Sorry femmy2010, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: Posting a message that seems like spam.
If this is a mistake, we're so sorry about this.

I would very much appreciate if you can kindly help me look into it as i do nothing close to spam.
Thanks for your anticipated response to my request.
Have a sweetest weekend and God bless.

I submitted your issue to the authorities and you will be unbanned shortly provided that the ban was not justified.

Monitor_1
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Nobody: 9:40pm On Aug 08, 2010
I find it quite interesting that folks are not participating in the topic of this thread. One would have expected all those who were complaining and offering views when one of the patrons was purportedly duped, would be contributing tips and advise for others.

Where are your tips guys? Abi people find threads, where fighting and bickering abound, more interesing? smiley

Monitor_1
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by marcus1234: 9:41pm On Aug 08, 2010
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 08, 2010
marcus1234:

NL= Holland [img]http://s07.flagcounter.com/count/DymW/bg=ffffff/txt=ffffff/border=ffffff/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/[/img]

Not in this neck of the woods! NL = Nairaland. smiley
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by femy2010(m): 10:33pm On Aug 08, 2010
Monitor,Thanks greatly.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by JesusloveU: 1:49pm On Aug 09, 2010
Goodday Admin,Please i want to know why i was banned .I post a reply to a topic on travel section,"First Time Abroad" and what i got back is your message is spam and that i lost my privilege right to post reply to any topic again.Please, am only talking from my personal experience,am not spamming the room.Please,review my post and unban me.Thank you.

My username is IKedonn
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by mastro: 7:36am On Aug 10, 2010
My suggestions

Always go and view the car and drive it (you would be surprised the number of people who buy unseen, if dealer won't let you test drive at least sit in the car when it is being driven)

Get a mechanic to look at the car for you or at least a person who knows about cars.

Take a person with you, two heads are better than one, preferably someone who doesn't have a vested interest in the car so can be objective when pricing and noting condition of the car.

Check the VIN unless it was brought new in Nigeria, even when it has been in the country for years, a VIN check may surprise you, or do you really think all the 3 year old cars with 5000 miles are genuine mileage.

On Pre-order

Firstly and foremostly as a buyer go and see the seller and or his representatives in Nigeria verify they are who they say they are.

Get a lawyer involved to act as a escrow service. A proper dealer will be able to finance the purchase and only asks for a deposit to ensure that he isn't stuck with the car.

Mastro

2 Likes

Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 13, 2010
Moderator, why can't use take the same measure, barrister Matthew the moderator of properties section took, to limit the numbers of post per user a day on a section, some people will just come here and post all their auto bulletin, this doesn't give room for relevant information to appear and stay longer.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by luvinhubby(m): 8:58pm On Aug 14, 2010
If u are to buy a car, go for 1, Japanese (fuel economy) 2, Honda(available and affordable parts) , Toyota(Available and fairly affordable parts).

Avoid 6 or more cylinder vehicles `cos it develops electrical faults easily (no dealer or mechanic will tell you this), there parts are expensive (e.g. Honda babyboy 6 cylinder gear box is N150,000 while 4 cylinder own is N60,000).

1 Like

Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by sonibota: 5:38pm On Aug 16, 2010
For a green horn proper buying a Nigerian used car, the first thing is to open the radiator when the engine is cold and dip his finger to ensure there is no oil mixture. 2. he should check the exhaust pipe for black or oily smoke before he brings in the mechanic. Thereafter, insist the engine runs for about ten minutes before you start negotiations proper.

Last line: Even if you are picking a brand new ride from the car shop, you cannot shy away from incurring initial costs. Please ensure you set something aside for the initial repairs like documentation, servicing, tyres, etc.

Happy ride.

1 Like

Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Tadeus(m): 6:44pm On Aug 18, 2010
This is a welcome thread on Nairaland AUTO section
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by alabi4good(m): 5:05am On Aug 21, 2010
i happy that this thread is finally here, nice one bro
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by capsogiga(m): 8:42am On Aug 23, 2010
someone just offered me a 2003 toyota highlander with only 10,000 miles on the odometer!!! i did a simple arithmetic and arrived at an average of 1,428 miles per year. is this really possible? i am like the odometer has been adjusted and tampered with. 10,000 miles in 7 years? guys, pls what can i do to know if the odometer has been tampered with. guys, pls share your experiences. eagerly awaiting advice. thanks
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by OmoOwens1: 2:28pm On Aug 25, 2010
@capsogiga request for the VIN and check to confirm
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by CHARLOE(m): 7:44pm On Aug 25, 2010
Has anyone used nissan altima (1999 or 2001)? what can u say about a naija used one? are d parts expensive? any common problem(s)?
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by DaudaAbu(m): 1:32pm On Aug 27, 2010
Buying a car can be very tricky bt investing ur hard earned money on anything on wheel is xciting and something most guyz are luking forward to

so depending on what u intend to use the ride for

if its belgium car u ar buying depending on ur ride of choice carry out a simple research bout ur car of choice. with internet now things are easy. check wikipeadia and u wil get history on most cars their reliability and common problem associated with them.

The German cars are known for their reliability and ruggedness (german Machine) the body work and every part is normally quality metal. thou most of em part are xpensive eg benz , BMW, jetta passat etc etc

the japanese cars are also known for their reliability interms of equipment, engine and economy of fuel. and most of them hav poor 2nd hand value. eg honda, nissan, mitsubushi etc wit d xception of toyota which d purchase price is moderate and 2nd hand value fairly ok.

are u goin to b usin the car for the distance run or long distance travel? dat shuld also determine the type of ride u buy.

But in general for the initial purchase look out for:

HOW EASY THE CAR STARTS AND THE KIND OF SMOKE FRM D XHAUST IS IT WHITE OR BLACK.

HOW NEAT THE ENGINE RUN WITHOUT MUCH NOISE AND BE SURE THE ENGINE IS NOT SPRAYED. AND DOESNT LOOK TOO DIRT AT SAME TIME WHICH MIGHT INDICATE WORK ON IT HENCE OILINESS WHICH ATTRACTS DIRT.

TRY MOST OF THE EQUIPMENT INSIDE THE CAR AND B SURE THEY ARE WORKING PROPERLY IF NOT TRY TO FIND OUT WHATS WRONG AND HOW MUCH IT MIGHT COST TO REPLACE

IF THEIR IS A SIGN THAT THE WIRING IS TAPED TRY TO FIND OUT WHY TO AVOID IF SOME MAJOR WIRING HAS BEEN BYPASSED AND SO ON

1 Like

Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by TonyAM: 10:33am On Aug 30, 2010
Please can any one help with an idea of how much it will cost for Custom duty of a Toyota Camry 2000/01 bought @ Cotouno Ports
Thanks for ur usual posive response
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by femy2010(m): 10:49am On Aug 30, 2010
It would be in the N200k range.
If you desire to buy a 2000 vehicle from Cotonou and still pay duty then i would simply advice you buy from Lagos because you wont be saving money then as you will arrive at what it cost to buy same in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by TonyAM: 1:50pm On Aug 30, 2010
If you eventually got it down without the custom papers, how do you go about it ? I'm sorry I'm a novice in this area.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by femy2010(m): 7:25pm On Aug 30, 2010
To be frank,
Majority of vehicles on our roads are without custom papers and all you need do is register and you are good to drive.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by femy2010(m): 6:47pm On Aug 31, 2010
Monitor,
I got a cant post message on my femmy2010 ID,I would appreciate you helping me forward it for correction.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by idiopathic: 12:42pm On Sep 04, 2010
A friend of mine was sent a vehicle from USA via RoRO which arrived lagos port yesterday but one of it's rear windows was not wind up. The car is in the process of being cleared and my friend asked the agent to wind up the window to avoid rain soaking the vehicle, but the agent claimed he is not allowed to touch the vehicle until it is cleared.

Does any member has a similar experince?
What is the implication of having an open window?
Is there a danger that 'wharf rats' have taken components from the vehicle?
How long doe sit really take to clear a car (toyota camry 2004) once all the papers (bill of landong, original title) have arrived with the agent?
Can anyone be instructed to close the open windows while the car is being cleared? My friend is concerned that thieves may have ripped off [arts of his auto or the rain/sun may have done afiar damage considering 3 weeks spen on the high sea.

Regards
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Jiggest(m): 9:29am On Sep 05, 2010
Please i need answer to my question ASAP

Is 1.6M a good price to buy a Toyota Corolla with mileage of 117,484 ?

See attached pictures for more information

Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by newmi(m): 8:24pm On Sep 09, 2010
nice and a well thought out thread l certainly hope it will endeavour to meet all the auto purcahsing need.
Re: Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. by Wylout: 10:57pm On Sep 09, 2010
Nice thread==== there are lots of people who need these info
For all experienced ==== please share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Benz Keke That Will Replace Okada In Onitsha And Awka (Photos) / The Motorcycle I Saw Today! ENGINEERS HELP!! / Hot CAR Product You Can Start Selling Now And Make Millions Of Naira This 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.