Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? (2592 Views)

Is Opel Zafira A Good Car For A Transport Business / Lady Buys A New Car To Celebrate Her 24th Birthday (Photos) / Man Fined For Strapping Car To A Hot Air Balloon & Flying It 98ft Over The City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 6:12pm On Dec 07, 2018
So we’re thinking of getting a Passat. Don’t know much about cars – we just like the shape of the Passat. smiley

Is it a good car to buy in Nigeria given the usual considerations –

- Durability/ruggedity
- Ability to stand our roads
- Availability of parts
- Local mechanics/ servicing expertise
- Fuel economics
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:02pm On Dec 07, 2018
Not a bad car but there are less stressful options.

2 Likes

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 7:45pm On Dec 07, 2018
JuanDeDios:
So we’re thinking of getting a Passat. Don’t know much about cars – we just like the shape of the Passat. smiley

Is it a good car to buy in Nigeria given the usual considerations –

- Durability/ruggedity yes
- Ability to stand our roads yes but not water
- Availability of parts yes
- Local mechanics/ servicing expertise not really
- Fuel economics yes

maintenance is complicated

2 Likes

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by oriste(f): 7:39am On Dec 08, 2018
How is it complicated? i drive a passat cc and no serious ish so if u love it just get it right

3 Likes

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 8:04am On Dec 08, 2018
oriste:
How is it complicated? i drive a passat cc and no serious ish so if u love it just get it right
Lies
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:12am On Dec 08, 2018
CityNGR:

Lies

You can't just say "Lies" without giving an explanation, mate.

2 Likes

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 8:21am On Dec 08, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Not a bad car but there are less stressful options.
Thank you. So what stress is associated with Passat that you won't get from say, Corolla or Accord?
CityNGR:

maintenance is complicated
Can you explain a bit?
oriste:
Thank you.
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 9:16am On Dec 08, 2018
JuanDeDios:

Can you explain a bit?
For example... My Audi A4 2.0 one of the simplest vw engines... For you to replace the engine coolant thermostat.. You'd have to remove the serpentine belt, alternator, intake manifold with the attendant plenty other things to be removed just for that manifold to come off. Now you have practically striped the engine to borale ... For what? Just to replace engine coolant thermostat!!!

Do I need to tell you about the yeye dual mass fly wheel?
Or the fact that when your temperature gauge stops you hardly know which one of the coolant sensors is responsible.. Or is it the door lock mechanism that I need to explain?
Like heavenlybang said there are less stressful options

2 Likes

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:29am On Dec 08, 2018
CityNGR:

For example... My Audi A4 2.0 one of the simplest vw engines... For you to replace the engine coolant thermostat.. You'd have to remove the serpentine belt, alternator, intake manifold with the attendant plenty other things to be removed just for that manifold to come off. Now you have practically striped the engine to borale ... For what? Just to replace engine coolant thermostat!!!

Or the fact that when your temperature gauge stops you hardly know which one of the coolant sensors is responsible.. Or is it the door lock mechanism that I need to explain?

Lol, ridiculous.
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 9:57am On Dec 08, 2018
CityNGR:

I see. Thank you. Which would you say are less stressful options, for example?
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 9:58am On Dec 08, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Lol, ridiculous.
How so?
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:03am On Dec 08, 2018
JuanDeDios:

How so?

I was referring to the procedure required to change the thermostat. He's absolutely correct, too. Audi--and VAG--can be rather anal about their design.

Honestly, depending on your budget I'd advice you to get a Jap equivalent. Or, even better, a C Class.

2 Likes

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 10:11am On Dec 08, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

I was referring to the procedure required to change the thermostat. He's absolutely correct, too. Audi--and VAG--can be rather anal about their design.

Honestly, depending on your budget I'd advice you to get a Jap equivalent. Or, even better, a C Class.
I see. C-class? I thought Mercs were tougher to maintain?
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:13am On Dec 08, 2018
JuanDeDios:

Fake news.

1 Like

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 10:33am On Dec 08, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Fake news.
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 12:17pm On Dec 08, 2018
JuanDeDios:

I didn't finish. I have a Mercedes Benz E320 of the same year.. Bro I can remove the thermostat without embarking on such unholy procedures... Despite being a v6 12 plugs engine... Hence I am naturally tilted towards the Mercedes!!

1 Like

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 12:17pm On Dec 08, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Fake news.
Big fake news..

1 Like

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2018
JuanDeDios:

grin
In addition... Did you know that in that vw Audi removing the radiator involves dismantling the headlights... And removing the front bumper?

Talk about stress!!

1 Like

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 12:53pm On Dec 08, 2018
CityNGR:

I didn't finish. I have a Mercedes Benz E320 of the same year.. Bro I can remove the thermostat without embarking on such unholy procedures... Despite being a v6 12 plugs engine... Hence I am naturally tilted towards the Mercedes!!
Good. But ease of opening aside, I hear Merc parts are costlier. And how about fuel economics?
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 12:59pm On Dec 08, 2018
JuanDeDios:

Good. But ease of opening aside, I hear Merc parts are costlier. And how about fuel economics?
Not true. My Mercedes Benz radiator tons coated 8k. My VW Audi radiator is 12k with abeg both direct from Lagos dealers. And while you'll find the Benz parts easily my Audi radiator is very scarce... Hence plenty shakara

2 Likes

Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by JuanDeDios: 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2018
CityNGR:

Not true. My Mercedes Benz radiator tons coated 8k. My VW Audi radiator is 12k with abeg both direct from Lagos dealers. And while you'll find the Benz parts easily my Audi radiator is very scarce... Hence plenty shakara
Good. How do they compare in fuel consumption?
Re: Is Passat A Good Car To Buy? by CityNGR: 1:56pm On Dec 08, 2018
JuanDeDios:

Good. How do they compare in fuel consumption?
I4 vs V6...google.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Replacing Toyota Rav 4 2008 Windscreen / .. / Golf 3 For Sale At 250k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.