Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,632 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Do You Need Unix Account? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do You Need Unix Account? (1743 Views)

Bash/shell Scripting In A Unix/linux Environment / Bash Shell Vulnerability Affects Linux, Unix And Mac OS X / How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Need Unix Account? by sbucareer(f): 12:10pm On Jan 09, 2006
If you are interested in learning Unix, then online account would be a start. You can have your free personal website (NOT commercial) and free email account.

If you are interested let me know
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by Seun(m): 2:17pm On Jan 09, 2006
Sbu, Can you give us a link to a website where we can learn more about your offer?
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by sbucareer(f): 4:24pm On Jan 09, 2006
Actually Senu, it is my Unix box at home as I run a local ITSP (Internet Telephony Service Provider) in the UK. I am still developing the site. I am working alone and have very little time devoted to designing my website.

Senu, I can give you admin privileges to create accounts for people. You need a SSH program to remote login. My telnet is blocked and other related services. Here is a program call putty, a light weight remote login it uses port 22 http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Don't use telnet, Rlogin or Raw rather use ssh, in the Host name IP adress put yexon.co.uk. Tell me if you need account I will create it for you with admin privileges.
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by Seun(m): 4:48pm On Jan 09, 2006
I think you have taken a very commendable step.

However, are you not afraid of the security implications of giving remote login privileges to people you've never met in person? What if some of them are hackers? Hope you don't use the system for any serious work that may be compromised if your system is hacked?
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by sbucareer(f): 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2006
Thanks Senu for the insight, but my infrastructure drops any packet to my internal ITSP. I provide dial-up, broadband services and cheap local calls and international. The way I have design my system will not allow any packet beyond some switches and routers. All the securities are implemented at TCP/IP layer. The Unix box is on a different subnet mask.
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by anton(m): 6:09pm On Jan 09, 2006
Sounds dreadfully interesting, Sbucareer. Sign me up!

I would love to flex my *nix fingers over the web in true Unix fashion. I agree with Seun, this is an awesome step and a darned good idea to boot. I see great things coming out of this. I've been meaning to crank back up my Unix studies.

I'm down sbucareer cool
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by gbengaijot(m): 9:36pm On Jan 09, 2006
sbu can u please sign me up as well. I am really interested.
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by JP(m): 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2006
sbu could you please sign me up as well. I am interested.
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by gabng(m): 4:08am On Jan 10, 2006
sbu could you please sign me up as well. I am interested.
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by anton(m): 7:12am On Jan 10, 2006
Cool, i just logged off and it was pretty cool. Brought back memories of my frst experience with shrike 3 years agos. I will be sure to post my site soon as i get it designed.

Free Unix account that you can access from a doze box? What more could you ask for if you don't want to deal with dual booting and want to get your feet wet with the command line? I love it.

Take advantage folks. cheesy
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:54pm On Sep 20, 2006
i've never seen how a unix system looks the closest i've got is the linux i use on my pc can u please sign me up
thanks
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by sbucareer(f): 1:28am On Sep 21, 2006

adewaleafolabi, make sure you download [url=http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html]putty[/url] for your system. If you plan to login into a GUI, you would need RealVNC. Download the VNC Free Edition Viewer for Windows.

You details are as follows:

username: adewaleafolabi
passwd: Send me your email I will email it to you
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:09pm On Sep 21, 2006
thanks my email is adewaleafolabi2@yahoo.com
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by segebee(m): 7:17pm On Sep 21, 2006
pls im interested also
my mail is segebee1@yahoo.co.uk
im just learning linux
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by stannesi(m): 9:05pm On Sep 24, 2006
Dude, i guess i'm interested, sign moi up, & give me more info, & hw i can logon, i'm already familiar wit Linux, i guess it wil not take me much time to get aquinted wit unix, dude, do u run a server or wat?
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by hayprof(m): 11:22pm On Sep 24, 2006
@sbu: I think i need more info about this oo. i dnt av an idea what it is sha but u can sign me up if it will a plus[+] for me.
My e-mail addy is :haycubez@yahoo.com
tanx!
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by CHUKWUTEM(m): 8:24am On Sep 26, 2006
Sbu sign me up.Though I have little or no foreknowledge of Unix.Thanks.nkemomede@yahoo.com
Re: Do You Need Unix Account? by Taysay(m): 3:39pm On Sep 21, 2007
@ SBU,
How is the going
PLs I need a UNIX account, my email add is

taysay1@gmail.com,taysay_shaguy@yahoo.com

tanx have a pleasant week end

(1) (Reply)

Fortran / Easily Convert PDF Files To HWP For Processing Properly / Python Masters, Kindly Help Me Rectify This Python Problem.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.