Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? (3299 Views)

Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe / Afemai Descendants Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 09, 2018
The yorubas did it? They made each one a sub tribal group and no one have dominance over each other..

I've no idea why this southern tribes claim unique ethnicity

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2018
But down there in south, every tribe is claiming ethnicity.

We can easily become 3 most populated tribe in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Stanweezy(m): 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2018
Sorry oooo
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2018
Sanchez01, efewestern , dafil22 ,macpetrus, redsquare,
Malcolmx12,esosuo.

What do y'all think
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by NIGHTMARE0O7: 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2018
Edodefender:
Malcolmx12,esosuo.

What do y'all think

This Yoruba Muslims again.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by macpetrus(m): 7:08pm On Dec 09, 2018
Edodefender:
Malcolmx12,esosuo.

What do y'all think

They all come under one umbrella of South South, but different ways of life, just like the yoruba in the west, they also have different tribe and their language is a bit different or the tone in which they speak, same ways goes together in the East and the North. It will be difficult to the seen as one before they have different tone and language
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 09, 2018
macpetrus:

They all come under one umbrella of South South, but different ways of life, just like the yoruba in the west, they also have different tribe and their language is a bit different or the tone in which they speak, same ways goes together in the East and the North. It will be difficult to the seen as one before they have different tone and language
most yorubas subtribes have different ways of life..

We don't get promotion and appointment because Nigeria operate a wazobia system that see us as minorities, if we can leave our ego behind and form a powerful ethnic group, trust me in space of 10 years we'll get the presidency.

But they have separated us and try to classify is as wazobia
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Ifiokumo: 11:38pm On Dec 09, 2018
Except for Bini and Esan, the rest can vote in the upcoming referendum to tell you who or what they are...
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by davidnazee: 12:27am On Dec 10, 2018
Like someone once said; before there was Nigeria, the major tribe in “southern Nigeria” area was Edo.. then came Nigeria and Edo suddenly became a minority.
Which magic happened there?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by FisifunKododada: 12:30am On Dec 10, 2018
More power to you

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by viscerion: 12:52pm On Dec 10, 2018
U cant compare the similarities between ilaje, ijebu, ekiti to the similarities between bini, esan, ikwerre, isoko, urhobo, there are too far apart to be grouped together, and they have as many similarities with other tribes as they have with edo
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by bigfrancis21: 3:12pm On Dec 11, 2018
Take Ikwerre people out of your Edoid subtribe count. Ikwerres have never been descended from Bini. The Ikwerres descend from the Arochukwu people of Abia state, their founding ancestor being Okpo Nwagidi. Ikwerre elders know this, don't believe into what the younger generation peddle online on the Internet about some recently made-up Bini history. Bini history has never been part of the Ikwerre ancestral folklore from as early as documents can prove until the 2000s at the height of anti-Igbo sentiments. The Ogbas and Ekpeyes of Rivers state, who speak Igbo today, have stronger and valid claims to being of Bini history compared to Ikwerre.

Asides Ikwerre, other tribes you mentioned there are related to the Binis.

8 Likes

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by viscerion: 1:20pm On Dec 12, 2018
bigfrancis21:
Take Ikwerre people out of your Edoid subtribe count. Ikwerres have never been descended from Bini. The Ikwerres descend from the Arochukwu people of Abia state, their founding ancestor being Okpo Nwagidi. Ikwerre elders know this, don't believe into what the younger generation peddle online on the Internet about some recently made-up Bini history. Bini history has never been part of the Ikwerre ancestral folklore from as early as documents can prove until the 2000s at the height of anti-Igbo sentiments. The Ogbas and Ekpeyes of Rivers state, who speak Igbo today, have stronger and valid claims to being of Bini history compared to Ikwerre.

isoko n uhrobo r as far from bini as ikwerre, if not try n state d similarities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by bigfrancis21: 4:10pm On Dec 12, 2018
viscerion:

isoko n uhrobo r as far from bini as ikwerre, if not try n state d similarities

You have a point but in terms of ancestry, Ikwerres have never held the Bini folklore until made up in the early 2000s. On the other hand, the Urhobos have stories of migrating from Bini and their language is Edoid. The Isokos are similar to the Urhobos but some Isokos have substantial Igbo ancestry as well as Bini.

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 12, 2018
bigfrancis21:

You have a point but in terms of ancestry, Ikwerres have never held the Bini folklore until made up in the early 2000s. On the other hand, the Urhobos have stories of migrating from Bini and their language is Edoid. The Isokos are similar to the Urhobos but some Isokos have substantial Igbo ancestry as well as Bini.
children
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by fero007: 8:20am On Dec 13, 2018
bigfrancis21:

The stories imply an area in edo, not necessarily bini, anyway its not even all d urhobo clans dat ve dat ve does beliefs

den again, i think origin sud nt be used to group pepo as a tribe after all we dont call ourselves israelites though we all came from adam n eve
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by thinkafricanet: 10:52am On Dec 13, 2018
First of all - I am Yoruba, I don't know if that adds anything to your perception of "my agenda" . But just disclosing to allow you to decide what you want to do with that knowledge. My preference is that we don't discuss ideas based on Oyinbo tags.

2. The unity of Yorubas Today is mythical. I need only point to the state Britain found Yorubaland in when they conquered Nigeria, squabbling among ourselves. Every chiefdom wanting to be "an empire" , the Ife "empire", the Ijebu "empire", the Ondo "empire", the "Owu" "empire", the Ilorin "emirate". I am ridiculing our disunity. If you are honest, I think you should conclude that we are as disunited as those groups you mentioned. When Odudua came, polities already existed throughout Yorubaland.

3. The fact that we have had Ernest Sonekan and Obasanjo as president is NOT a big deal. Read up on Nnamdi Azikiwe who I respect and consider a visionary. Yes, the Southeast have made mistakes with Ironsi and Ojukwu but the reason I think king-makers have been afraid to have an Igbo president is that civil war was not a laughing matter, it was an unfortunate experience for both the Southeast and the rest of Nigeria.

4. Origin stories, the world over, are the excuses monarchs give for their right to rule. It isn't a ralling excuse for the masses. The typical excuses that work are:

(a) class. we are all poor, they are all rich, let's band together.
(b) ethnicity. i.e. forming a new subtribe.
(c) inhumanity. a percentage of the population should be slaves so that everyone else can be rich and enjoy the benefits.
(d) military acumen. we can fight WELL even though we can't read. They are just geeks with four eyes and no fighting knowledge.
(e) natural disasters. coming together against non-man threats.
(f) external threats. coming together because of an organised foreign threat is superior numbers.
(g) religious. we have a channel to God or a god. You can't make any decisions without our religious guidance.

The excuses are many. I have studied Native America history, European history, Indian, Chinese, Japanese and African (west, east, south and North, 3.3million years ago to 1800).

5. Scientifically, being Edo, Urhobo, Bini or Yoruba is a social construct, not a biological truth. Based on mitochondrial dna and Y-chromosome historical evidence. If you want to solve small problems, I think this line of thinking of the OP will keep you engaged and give you some hobby to think about. If you want to solve the problems created by the Berlin Conference of 1848-1884 however, I think you need to transcend those distinctions. It took all of us Nigerians to expel British rule. When we were divided, we were played off against each other.

People from Senegal helped France conquer Madagascar and Morocco.
People from Nigeria helped Britain conquer the Ashanti confederacy.
People from Senegal, Mali and Burkina Faso fought against the Germans in WW1 under France.
People from Senegal, Mali and Burkina Faso fought with the Germans in WW2 under France.

I am praying to God that we will learn from the mistakes of the past and no f--- up like our great grandfathers did by being used (divided) to abet colonisation. They screwed up so that we can learn, not to repeat the same mistakes.

6. The North are more f--ked than the South is. They have more illiteracy, itinerant cattle herders, more orphans, less access to clean water, less GDP per capita and less access to healthcare. Their illiteracy and poverty issues and their servitude to their elite is what allows their elite to manipulate them. They are as powerless, as you feel.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by RedboneSmith(m): 2:52pm On Dec 13, 2018
I do not understand why Ikwerre is there. The others speak Edoid languages and form a cluster with the Bini. But Ikwerre? Are you basing this Edo meta-ethnic group of yours solely on controversial oral traditions that are not even universally acknowledged among the Ikwerre.

6 Likes

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by SlayerForever: 10:35pm On Dec 13, 2018
You know,interestingly enough I've had cause to believe the Urhobo and Edo languages are actually quite farther than you may care to know. I've come across an Edo guy famzing Urhobo who couldn't comprehend jack in Urhobo. His translation of the language was so far it became comical.
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 14, 2018
macpetrus:

It would have been easy if they adopt one lingual franca
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 14, 2018
Edodefender:
most yorubas subtribes have different ways of life..

We don't get promotion and appointment because Nigeria operate a wazobia system that see us as minorities, if we can leave our ego behind and form a powerful ethnic group, trust me in space of 10 years we'll get the presidency.

But they have separated us and try to classify is as wazobia
Well you are right. Edos especially binis are loving people although not all. This attribute had contributed to the growth of Benin city as a whole. The South South should adopt one language probably Bini or Ijaw. This goes to boost unity among thrm
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 14, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Yet same Ikwerre are denying their lineage. They claim that they are not igbos yet they bear Igbo names

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by FisifunKododada: 7:43pm On Dec 14, 2018
fero007:

The stories imply an area in edo, not necessarily bini, anyway its not even all d urhobo clans dat ve dat ve does beliefs

den again, i think origin sud nt be used to group pepo as a tribe after all we dont call ourselves israelites though we all came from adam n eve

Adam and Eve where not Israelites, they were Africans.
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Nobody: 6:09am On Dec 15, 2018
asuustrike1:

Well you are right. Edos especially binis are loving people although not all. This attribute had contributed to the growth of Benin city as a whole. The South South should adopt one language probably Bini or Ijaw. This goes to boost unity among thrm
impossible
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Favor99(m): 7:50am On Dec 15, 2018
asuustrike1:

I agree with you. A united south south with a united language. There’s too much division in Nigeria. We are so much related and connected especially in the south and some of the middle belt
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by bigfrancis21: 5:10pm On Dec 16, 2018
Favor99:

I agree with you. A united south south with a united language. There’s too much division in Nigeria. We are so much related and connected especially in the south and some of the middle belt

Isn't the united language in the south becoming Pidgin English, often to the detriment of local languages?

Up until the civil war, Igbo language was a de-facto unifying and second language in the ND region, just as Hausa is in the North but it is all history.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Suyapaper: 6:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Isn't the united language in the south becoming Pidgin English, often to the detriment of local languages?

Up until the civil war, Igbo language was a de-facto unifying and second language in the ND region, just as Hausa is in the North but it is all history.

Eastern Niger Delta maybe. That is from Brass in Bayelsa Eastwards to Calabar. But even then, I don't how necessarily true that is.
An average Berom of Tyap man from Kaduna can speak Hausa, not sure an average Ibibio can even say "My name is Akpan" in Igbo.
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Favor99(m): 10:21pm On Dec 16, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Yea true pidgin is widely spoken in the SS states. Its like the lingua franca there like Benin, Warri, For Harcourt, specially since these cities and states are multi-cultural and multi-ethnic
Oh ok I didn't know Igbo was the unifying language up until the civil war. Yea I can see how it was the unifying language given how some groups in the SS speak Igbo, like the Ikwerre's , Delta North(Aniomas) and Etche and Ogba
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by bigfrancis21: 5:00am On Dec 17, 2018
Suyapaper:

Eastern Niger Delta maybe. That is from Brass in Bayelsa Eastwards to Calabar. But even then, I don't how necessarily true that is.
An average Berom of Tyap man from Kaduna can speak Hausa, not sure an average Ibibio can even say "My name is Akpan" in Igbo.

@bold....Are you referring to Pidgin English or Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by Sinistami(m): 4:06pm On Dec 17, 2018
We already speak a Unifying language and that's Pidgin. it just needs refining and a standard written and spoken dialect that we could use. If only this Wazobia Government would understand and legalize it as a full fledged language of its own. And them we would know who is who here.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by fero007: 4:17pm On Dec 17, 2018
FisifunKododada:

Adam and Eve where not Israelites, they were Africans.

lol, but the whole world dont all call ourselves africans, u get my point
Re: Why Can't Bini, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Isoko, Esan, Afemai Be Seen As One? by fero007: 4:48pm On Dec 17, 2018
Sinistami:
We already speak a Unifying language and that's Pidgin. it just needs refining and a standard written and spoken dialect that we could use. If only this Wazobia Government would understand and legalize it as a full fledged language of its own. And them we would know who is who here.

as in ehn, dey think we jus dey rake, they keep deceiving themselves cuz know deep down that on fair grounds no region can stand d SS in any aspect

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oduduwa And The Nimrod (lamurudu) Connection. / Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? / Igbo Progenitor Story Vs Yoruba Progenitor Story, Facts & Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.