Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,147 members, 7,811,239 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' (50734 Views)

Niger Ex-finance Minister Cries After Told To Explain Missing Funds Or Die / US Congress Under Siege, Trump Supporters Overrun Security, Invade Chambers / 117th US Congress Prayer Ends With "Amen And A Woman" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by Magichand: 5:23pm On Dec 12, 2018
US Congress asks Google CEO to explain why the photo of Donald Trump comes up when you type “idiot”

When you type in "Idiot" in Google search, photos of US president Donald Trump comes up and Republicans in the US Congress grilled Google CEO Sundar Pichai about this.

Republicans allege that Google's search results are biased and that Democrats who work at Google choose liberal websites over conservative views for prime placement on Google services like Google search.

Several Republicans on the committee, including Rep. Lamar Smith, said there was "political bias baked into" Google's culture.
Democratic Rep. Zoe Lofgren gave Google CEO a chance to explain and convince them that there's no conservative bias in Google.

Lofgren said to Pichai:
Manipulation of search results - I think it's important to talk about how search works. Right now, if you Google the word 'idiot,' under images, a picture of Donald Trump comes up. I just did that.

How would that happen? How does search work so that that would occur?

Pichai replied:
We provide search today for - anytime you type in a keyword, we as Google, we have gone out and crawled and stored copies of billions of webpages in our index. We take the keyword and match it against webpages and rank them based on over 200 signals, things like relevance, freshness, popularity, how other people are using it.

And based on that, at any given time, we try to rank and find the best results for that query. Then we evaluate them with external raters to make sure, and they evaluate it to objective guidelines, and that's how we make sure the process is working.

Lofgren added:

So it's not some little man sitting behind the curtain figuring out what we're going to show the user - it's basically a compilation of what users are generating, and trying to sort through that information.

And Pichai replied:

Last year we served over 3 trillion searches. Just as a fact, every single day, 15% of the searches Google sees, we have never seen them before.
So this is working at scale. We don't manually intervene on any particular search result.

See more:
https://zenithnaija.com/us-congress-asks-google-to-explain-why-trumps-photo-shows-when-you-type-idiot/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2018
Google should better replace it with Buhari picture.

594 Likes 54 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by GavelSlam: 5:28pm On Dec 12, 2018
And that's the person Ipob love to quote as calling our president lifeless.

grin

Idiot.

175 Likes 21 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by Ciscogod(m): 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2018
Jesus.. I just did that on google, low and behold.. Trump picture came up.

Waiting for trump next action

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by dominique(f): 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2018
It's search results from several pages across the internet. Google has nothing to do with it

Op copied this word for word from another site and neither credited the source nor added his own spin to the article. I hope to see the day when these copy and paste bloggers will start getting sued for millions for their copyright infringement. It's not by force to blog. If you cannot come up with your own content, look for something else to do.

98 Likes 7 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by ojun50(m): 5:53pm On Dec 12, 2018
Google don enter one chance

10 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by JasonScoolari: 5:56pm On Dec 12, 2018
dominique:
It's search results from several pages across the internet. Google has nothing to do with it
I tried typing the word "failure" and this picture popped up. This has nothing to do with Google. .

244 Likes 17 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by dominique(f): 6:05pm On Dec 12, 2018
JasonScoolari:
I tried typing the word "failure" and this picture popped up. This has nothing to do with Google. .

That's not what popped out in my own Google. Your Google must be made in China grin

200 Likes 20 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by JasonScoolari: 6:10pm On Dec 12, 2018
dominique:

That's not what popped out in my own Google. Your Google must be made in China grin
Oh, so you've a "personal" Google? grin

No wonder.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by Snoopyjaga: 7:18pm On Dec 12, 2018
grin
Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by helinues: 7:18pm On Dec 12, 2018
Its true oo especially when you search via google images

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by HardMirror(m): 7:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
I just tried it now. So funny.

I think the US Congress should be indexed with the word Stupid for asking google this stupid question.

The way the google search engine works is through indexed words. Meaning if a lot of blogs and sites associate trump with IDIOT then, the search bug would produce the query based on it's ranking on indexed list. It is not google's fault that a lot of people online has tagged trump an idiot.

Lets try the word lifeless and see what we get. grin

Modified.

Try searching lifeless president i think the nigerian senate should also sermon google for the embarrassing result

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by davibid: 7:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
Lolzzzzzz

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Before who him be before

grin

Google just made my evening grin

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
Good one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by festacman(m): 7:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
Can't stop laughing!

This is one guy that has degrading adjective for whoever he encounters. Why is he worried about about this harmless word?

6 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 12, 2018
JasonScoolari:
grin grin

3 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by notoriousbabe: 7:20pm On Dec 12, 2018
It should be replaced with Buhari's photo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by visijo(m): 7:20pm On Dec 12, 2018
Anytime you see a girl shaking her buttocks while walking, just Know
she is going to her guy's place.
How did I know??
because it's written on syrup bottles
"shake well before use".

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by mumumugu(m): 7:21pm On Dec 12, 2018
help me ask him why it shows buhari whenever I search "lifeless president"

2 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by tstx(m): 7:21pm On Dec 12, 2018
Hehe... Even Google bots know the guy is an Idiot

information the west don't want you to see
4 Unethical Medical Experiments That Used Africans As Guinea Pigs

2 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by kobabe(m): 7:21pm On Dec 12, 2018
Press like if you just tried it

25 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by MarianaTrench: 7:22pm On Dec 12, 2018
What?!

1 Like

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by Jonadull: 7:22pm On Dec 12, 2018
JasonScoolari:
We know you’re lieing . But continue

3 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by mikejj(m): 7:23pm On Dec 12, 2018
laugh wan kee me here... why wil sombody b searching for idiot to extent that he wil go an check picture.

2 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by blessedweapon(m): 7:23pm On Dec 12, 2018
I bet "Okechukwu Buhari" pops up when nitwit is typed undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by braveboy64(m): 7:23pm On Dec 12, 2018
See the idiot calling somebody lifeless

5 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by scopusng(m): 7:23pm On Dec 12, 2018
They need to change it to buhari the terrorist. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by Omega30(m): 7:24pm On Dec 12, 2018
Surprised Google why?
Wow!!!! Learn for free German, French, Chinese & other languages @ www.tobidam.com
You can also learn via a booked online tutor!!
Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by megareal: 7:25pm On Dec 12, 2018
Google has nothing to do with it. I guess during the elections, a lot of internet users may have called Trump an idiot and the search engine sort of filed it away and ranked it.

4 Likes

Re: US Congress Asks Google To Explain Why Trump's Photo Shows When You Type 'idiot' by ambrosedmax(m): 7:25pm On Dec 12, 2018
Maybe he needs to come over and explain to us too why I should just type life and lifeless president shows up

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Body of kidnapped Shani Louk Found, Confirmed Dead By Israel. / Mohsen Fakhrizadeh Assassinated Near Tehran / Russia Destroys $1.1billion US Patriot Missile System In Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.