Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,454 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! (817 Views)

Gideon Yobo And Wife Welcome Baby (photos) / Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure / Eguavoen To Be Sacked After U-23's Match Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by wales(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2010
Acting Super Eagles coach Augustine Eguavoen has given up hopes of fielding Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Joseph Yobo against South Korea in their friendly game in Seoul, South Korea on August 11.

Eguavoen has allegedly been in talks with the Nigeria Football Federation to include the Everton duo in his team for the encounter, as he believes they will add experience to his team that will be largely made up of home-based players.

But Yakubu and Yobo are still under intense criticisms from some Nigerians for their below-par performances at the World Cup and the NFF officials do not want to incur the wrath of the fans.

Speaking with our correspondent on the telephone on Monday, Eguavoen said he had settled for a game plan that would bring the best out of the players picked for the game.

The former Eagles coach dismissed the suggestion that Yakubu and Yobo were no longer relevant to the national team.

He said, ”Despite what happened at the World Cup, Yakubu and Yobo are still very good players. What happened to them could‘ve happened to any player.

”We saw what happened to Arjen Robben in the final against Spain. He could have won the match for Holland but he failed to take the two clear chances that came his way. And the Dutch have not crucified him for the sad misses.

”There were defenders whose mistakes cost their teams at the World Cup. It happens in football.”

”We would‘ve loved to have them but we‘ve decided to give other players a chance.”

Eguavoen, who praised the NFF for having confidence in him, insisted the friendly game could unveil a new generation of players for the national team.

”We need new players in the Super Eagles and the game against South Korea offers an opportunity,” the Tunisia‘94 Nations Cup winner said.

”Seyi Olofinjana and Vincent Enyeama came into the limelight when I featured them in the friendly game against Senegal in 2002. We want to do the same in Seoul,” he added.

The Koreans held Nigeria to a 2-2 draw in their South Africa 2010 World Cup group game.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201008033311685

Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by snowdrops(m): 7:09am On Aug 03, 2010
what silly experience are they expected to bring into the team. is this aguaveon guy for real. its coaches like him that need to be kicked out of the national team. they are old fashioned and bereft of idea.

[size=20pt]bring on siasia.[/size]
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by Fogman(m): 7:50am On Aug 03, 2010
Yobo and Yakubu are finished, they ve got nothing to offer us again. Experience my foot, where was the experience when Yakubu could not score in front of an open post. Most time i m wonder what they used to becloud David Moyes.
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by Acidosis(m): 7:52am On Aug 03, 2010
Yakubu & Yobo are no longer relevant in the national team!
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by Okijajuju1(m): 7:54am On Aug 03, 2010
After a statement like this, I think he shold be sacked now, before its too late.
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by 12large: 8:23am On Aug 03, 2010
this guy should be sacked immediately what a useless coach. so he thinks nigeria dislike yakubu because of just that game against korea vwery stupid man.
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by kannymoore(m): 10:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
Why cant eguavoen call up ighalo, the u-20 skipper? He plays as a very good holding striker and i heard that he scored about 15goals in 20 games for granada: on loan from udinesse. Also, what about joel obi and obiora nwankwo? Cant he invite them both? Whatever happened to giving victor moses and nedum onuoha call ups sef? Rabiu ibrahim nko? Shebi its just a friendly match? Why is eguavoen and the nfa so bereft of ideas
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by Jarus(m): 6:35pm On Aug 09, 2010
Yakubu ke

Is he still eligible to play fro Nigeria?
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by ow11(m): 6:55pm On Aug 09, 2010
Please I pray he gives up on Mikel too! We don't need lazy footballers in our squad until we find a backbone to build our team around then we can recall the likes of lazy Mikel and Yobo.

Argentina dropped Riquelme and Germany dropped Frings so I say drop MIKEL and YOBO now!
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by Ibime(m): 7:28pm On Aug 09, 2010
Ive always known that Eguavoen is a fool since his reckless penalty against Italy in USA 94.

Nigerians dont want Yakubu, not because he missed a chance against South Korea, but because he is OLD and 3 or 4 years past his retirement date!!!
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by mamagee3(f): 8:25pm On Aug 09, 2010
I thought they longed removed them from the squad. . .

What are they waiting for?. . .Another failure and poor performance from them.

They should remove them completely from the squad and put in talented players.
Re: Eguavoen Gives Up On Yakubu, Yobo ! by deb(m): 2:10pm On Aug 11, 2010
Typical fans comment.

Eguavoen is not a bad coach.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Premier League Rangers 0 Vs Kano Pillars 1 / Uche Brothers Dedicate Goal To Michelle! / God Of Soccer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.