Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure (5450 Views)

Super Falcons Get Paltry 10,000 Naira After Qualifying For 2016 Africa Women Cup / Eguavoen To Be Sacked After U-23's Match Today / Eguavoen's Facts On Amodu's Ineptitude (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 04, 2011
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16025108.stm

Nigeria's Under-23 coach Austin Eguavoen has quit after failing to qualify for the 2012 Olympic Games.

The so-called 'Dream Team V' crashed out in the group stages of the qualifying tournament in Morocco after losing twice and winning just once.

The 46-year-old leaves after Nigeria, runners-up at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, finished third.

In a resignation letter, Eguavoen cited the qualifying failure for the London Games as his reason to quit.

"I hereby resign my post as coach of the national U23 team despite all the support I received from the NFF," Eguavoen told the NFF.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't make it. I think it's just honourable for me to resign after failing to meet the set targets."

In a press statement, the former Nigeria international thanked the NFF and fellow Nigerians for their support and the opportunity to serve.

Continue reading the main story
I thank every Nigerian for being there for me and giving me all the support needed
Austin Eguavoen
"I apologise to Nigerians for our disappointing outing. I had confidence in this team, unfortunately it didn't turn out the way we wanted. I am deeply sorry," Eguavoen was quoted as saying.

"My contract is tied to this tournament with a target of reaching at least the semi-finals of the Olympics in London, but I have failed in that target.

"I thank every Nigerian for being there for me and giving me all the support needed for this tournament."

Chris Green, the chairman of the NFF's technical committee, confirmed the receipt of Eguavoen's letter to BBC Sport.

The Olympic disappointment completed a dark year for football followers in Africa's most populous country after country and club failures.

In October, Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

It marked the first time the Super Eagles had failed to qualify for a Nations Cup finals since the 1986 edition in Egypt.

Meanwhile, the Super Falcons, the most successful womens side in Africa, failed to qualify for the 2011 All Africa Games as well as the London Olympics.

And they may have won the world cup trophy thrice but Nigeria's under-17 side could not even qualify for the African championship.

In August, the Flying Eagles then lost in the quarter-final of the Under-20 World Cup in Colombia - while at club level, both Enyimba and Sunshine Stars made semi-final exits in the Caf Champions League and Confederation Cup respectively.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by mikuz(m): 12:39am On Dec 05, 2011
na wa o! Why did he quit? What a coward the man is. He cant face his problems squarely and with bravery just like blatter. How the hell does he want to correct his mistakes and get the street cred?
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by damola1: 12:50am On Dec 05, 2011
Commendable. Nigerians should learn to be like this, either you deliver or quit.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Echala: 12:51am On Dec 05, 2011
@Mikuz, he would have been fired anyways for not meeting the terms of his contract, just like Siasia.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by MeGaStReEt: 12:52am On Dec 05, 2011
they would have quitted him all the same. Good luck bro. I believe Nigeria football is under scientific attack
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by komole: 1:20am On Dec 05, 2011
If our politicians can start acting this honorably the way Egwavuan has done, then I think Nigeria will been a whole lot better in the nearest possible time.

It is only in Africa you find our people fail and don't perform yet they hold on to the position like it is their birth rite.

This year alone we saw leaders of Japan, Greece and even Italy step down when they couldn't meet the demands of their people.

A good one for Egwavuan. But I still think the entire NFF board should all resign, because these whole coaches can't be so terrible (as most of them have had wonderful track records in the past. I.e; Siasia). There is something absolutely wrong (physical or spiritual) in that Glass house.

Nigerians should force ALL of them to resign. Let's start our reforms of this great country Nigeria on them.

Football is the only thing that keep Nigerians going, and since we have lost it, then what next? SO SAD!
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by fxtopedia(m): 1:33am On Dec 05, 2011
before nko? smart move
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by MBG4Real(m): 1:42am On Dec 05, 2011
What happens to the pot belle boys called "Dream Team 5" aren't they quitting too. Agreed that Eguavoen failed, it is the boys who had opportunity to do us proud that disappointed us the most.  Life is not jut fair. I understand that the coach takes the bulk of the blame when his team fails to win, I am saying "Is it fair to put all the blame on him".
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by honeric01(m): 1:54am On Dec 05, 2011
The best action
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Kilode1: 2:08am On Dec 05, 2011
Hopefully our politicians can learn how to quit/resign after failing to meet set targets.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by otokx(m): 2:25am On Dec 05, 2011
Austin Eguavon has made me proud. That is what a man should do. Our politicians should take note.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Egelife(m): 2:47am On Dec 05, 2011
Hahahaha, I have always told peeps to look the other way in terms of nigeria football, why would they keep breaking their fans heart again and again, as for Eguavoen I regard him as an honorable gentleman, only if our leaders would emulate hIs action whenever nigerians believe they've failed
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by itiswell1(m): 5:57am On Dec 05, 2011
Nigeria football is jinx. Infact, na all aspect of Nigeria sector.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by chidyke77(m): 6:26am On Dec 05, 2011
Echala:

@Mikuz, he would have been fired anyways for not meeting the terms of his contract, just like Siasia.
spot on.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by speak2me: 6:46am On Dec 05, 2011
Please please u guys should hold on,

This is not an honourable move but a tactical move to avoid the shame of his inevitable sack which was looming over his head already,

Please dont lets be fooled abeg, he must have been hinted by his NFF Inside sources to take the action as a final option above been sacked,
Honourable my foot, angry
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by tainot2002(m): 7:00am On Dec 05, 2011
Kilode?!:

Hopefully our politicians can learn how to quit/resign after failing to meet set targets.

They won't quit when they know what is coming into their pocket every single day, Najia we dey try,
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by moderatorr: 7:24am On Dec 05, 2011
checkout TB Joshua's shocking comment on the match

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-817741.0.html
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Konnektions146(m): 7:33am On Dec 05, 2011
this guy is smart. he just lleft honourably rather than bein jettisoned shamefully , at least his pride still intact. yu get sense bro
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Ndkings1(m): 7:36am On Dec 05, 2011
If na u ,u nogo quit?
Nigeria :
bunch of failures
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Reference(m): 7:43am On Dec 05, 2011
For Eguavoen it is right to quit such an important position at the instance of failure but in the case of Nigerian football at this time it is too simplistic.

If a part of a functional system is bad it is removed. If the system is dysfunctional you sit back and analyse first. The former is what local mechanics do taking rash decisions that ruin vehicles. The NFF should suspend his notice and get him debriefed properly so that they know what exactly went wrong with a view to correcting things going forward. That is why they are given structured contracts running to the end of tournaments.

The circus of Siasia's exit did not produce any credible information that Keshi could use hence some past errors are already manifesting.

But I guess since his employers rarely know better this may sit fine with them, a fall guy so they may continue to grope around and tinker like our local clueless mechanics.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by dustydee: 7:52am On Dec 05, 2011
Good move.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by OmoTier1(m): 8:00am On Dec 05, 2011
What about the useless NFF   Is't it time for them to quit? And Jonathan does He not understand that sports is part of the 'TRANSFORMATION'  of Nigeria? What has he done or is doing about the drastic decline in sports generally since He took over the helms of my beloved country?

As for Eguavoen, He did the right thing by stepping aside, I guess Obuh was right whe He called for the whole U20s' that played the last world cup to be kept together as a 'TEAM'. Those guys made me proud and gave me hope that Nigeria football wasn't dead afterall but this useless NFF having nothing to offer other than failures!
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by texazzpete(m): 8:02am On Dec 05, 2011
speak2me:

Please please u guys should hold on,

This is not an honourable move but a tactical move to avoid the shame of his inevitable sack which was looming over his head already,

Please dont lets be fooled abeg, he must have been hinted by his NFF Inside sources to take the action as a final option above been sacked,
Honourable my foot,  angry

Stranger things have happened in Nigeria. How many other Nigerians will offer to resign in this manner?
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by texazzpete(m): 8:03am On Dec 05, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I guess Obuh was right whe[b] He called for the whole U20s' that played the last world cup to be kept together as a 'TEAM'[/b]. Those guys made me proud and gave me hope that Nigeria football wasn't dead afterall but this useless NFF having nothing to offer other than failures!

Those guys were largely well over 20 years of age and their age is already beginning to show grin
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Adexchelsea19(m): 8:07am On Dec 05, 2011
The guy shuld be ban by the president 4rm coachin any Nigeria national team and also 4rm coachin within Nigeria either clubside or national team, he knws nothin abt coachin,dnt 4get dsame eguavoen lost d 1st match against Guinea in d ACN qualifiers.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by olajide8(m): 8:38am On Dec 05, 2011
Uncle Joe, Naa you remain they sacked sia 1, eguavoen quit GEJ what would be your move, Minister of petroleum your nko, finance I dey wait O!
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 05, 2011
Atleast it better not to get sacked
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Dennisana(m): 8:56am On Dec 05, 2011
@speak2me, U̶̲̥̅̊ 2 much.Wetin una dey talk self?wetin honourable there?na nw him know say him no sabi anytin.after all d campn abroad,frndly matches,him still fail.now him quit,una say it is honourable.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by Dpharisee: 9:39am On Dec 05, 2011
When GEJ said he was banning the country from international football for two years we shouted and called him names, now finally we have banned ourselves from every international competition both male and female after spending so much money on all the travels and foreign training camps.
Disband NFF now and focus on improving the local league where talents can be nurtured remember Eguavoen, Keshi, Amochachi, Siasia all started from the local league before becoming international stars.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by naso2(m): 9:52am On Dec 05, 2011
He was told even before the match against algeria that win-or-lose, he was going to be sacked, so i suspect they had some backdoor meeting to make it honourable and call it a resignation.

A Nigerian team has not played that badly in a long while. After a month of camping the boys still played like they just met at the next bus stop 15 minutes to the match.

Eguavon is a failure, though his propects with the NFF still look brighter than siasia's because though sia1 is a much better coach, eguavon is a good "yes man" in the hands of football authorities.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by alex406(m): 10:45am On Dec 05, 2011
na_so:

He was told even before the match against algeria that win-or-lose, he was going to be sacked, so i suspect they had some backdoor meeting to make it honourable and call it a resignation.

A Nigerian team has not played that badly in a long while. After a month of camping the boys still played like they just met at the next bus stop 15 minutes to the match.

Eguavon is a failure, though his propects with the NFF still look brighter than siasia's because though sia1 is a much better coach, eguavon is a good "yes man" in the hands of football authorities.
Exactly to avoid public disgrace and consequences.
Re: Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure by medjai(m): 11:25am On Dec 05, 2011
So he jumped before he was pushed. . . nice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Rivers United Confirm Confed Cup Progression / Exclusive Match Predictions Plus Free Leaked Fixed Match Chatroom / WWE Fans, Enter To Get The Latest News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.