Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:28 AM

Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce (956 Views)

A Simple Explanation Of These Engines : V6, Flat 6, Inline 6, V8, V10, V12, Vr / Why Is The LS430 Super Scarce In Nigeria? / 2018 Audi R8 V10 RWS Price And Specifications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce by Sawzer(m): 7:20pm On Dec 13, 2018

I would like to know why the V10 engine is scarce.I also noticed that cars using the V10 engine like BMW M5 opted for V8 in the later model which for me is sad embarassed
Re: Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce by Observer007(m): 7:26pm On Dec 13, 2018
The same reason some vehicle models ordinarily made for V6 opted for I4 turbocharged engines. Same or similar power output and performance but lower fuel consumption and carbon emission.
Re: Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce by Sawzer(m): 7:31pm On Dec 13, 2018
Observer007:
The same reason some vehicle models ordinarily made for V6 opted for I4 turbocharged engines. Same or similar power output and performance but lower fuel consumption and carbon emission.

Yeah, you make sense also V10 is heavier too.
But imagine turbocharging the V10 engine grin
Mad sound and power, forget fuel consumption because you know what you bought wink
Re: Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce by nurey(m): 7:50pm On Dec 13, 2018
Sawzer:

Yeah, you make sense also V10 is heavier too.
But imagine turbocharging the V10 engine grin
Mad sound and power, forget fuel consumption because you know what you bought wink

The only reason V10 engines are minimal is because due design and balancing of power it's only good for high revs, it's easier to slap in a V12 since its just 2 V6 engine placed in an angle to each other. The same reason why we also have very few 5 cylinder engine makers I think only volvo still stands in that 5 category VW/Audi don run grin

That high rev is a mad advantage means you change gear less often and can utilise more power at a particular band, just like the launch control of the Nissan GTR @ 4500rpms from stationary position
Re: Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce by MobilityExpress: 7:57pm On Dec 13, 2018
I think they got scarce because technology got better. Fewer cylinders can now produce same or even better power / torque output.
Re: Why Is The V10 Engine Scarce by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:04pm On Dec 13, 2018
Big engines like the V10 are going out of style because of increasingly stringent emissions standards. It's a shame, really, since there's no replacement for displacement.

(1) (Reply)

Reg Toyota Highlander 2006 Model Just 3 Weeks / Neat 2013 Honda Accord For Sale / Tyre Blowouts On Nigerian Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.