Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,353 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam (8763 Views)

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Mawlid Nabiyy / Criteria Of The Right Role Model In The Light Of Islam / #EndSARS: Protests, Demonstrations And Civil Disobedience In The Light Of Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:50am On Dec 15, 2018
The idea of celebrating the date of your birth is a pagan tradition. In fact, many Christians didn’t celebrate birthdays historically, because of that link to paganism.
Pagans thought that evil spirits lurked on days of major changes, like the day you turn a year older.
The ancient Greeks believed that each person had a spirit that attended his or her birth, and kept watch. That spirit “had a mystic relation with the God on whose birthday the individual was born,” says the book The Lore of Birthdays.
Source

Islam is not a religion that accepts innovation in the matters of worship! The way we pray, fast, perform udhiyah, Hajj, celebrate, etc should be the way our Prophet Muhammad did it. Technological innovation and its likes may or may not be acceptable depending on that particular technology, it's use, among others.

Celebration is part of worship! Why not as well join (other innovated pagan festivals like) Eyo festival ( also known as Adamu Orisha play) in Lagos, World Sango Festival at Alaafin Oyo Palace in Oyo State or that of Osun-Osogbo in Osun state.

A Muslim is not a carefree celebrator. We do not celebrate just any Tomiwa, Dike and Haruna celebration. We do not celebrate birthdays (Personal,....,Mawlid & Christmas), Valentine's day, Eyo Festival and the likes. There are many pagan celebrations around us that are shunned just because they are not widely accepted! Not all things that are widely accepted are religiously (i.e. islamically) permitted.

Celebration and worship: No Celebration for Muslims except the two 'Eids

Anas bin Maalik (radi Allahu anhu) said: “The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) came to Madinah and the people had two days when they would play and have fun. He said, ‘What are these two days?’ They said, ‘We used to play and have fun on these days during the Jaahiliyyah (Days of Ignorance). The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, ‘Allah has given you something better than them, the day of (Eid) Adhaa and the day of (Eid) Fitr.’”
[Sunan Abu Dawood - Classed as Sahih by Shaykh al-Albaani]

One would wonder what got Muslims to join in all forms of birthday celebrations today. is it the fear of being left behind in the society? or of being termed backward and uncivilised? What does the Prophet say about imitation and innovation?

The Prophet (peace be upon him) stated Whoever introduces something into this affairs of ours that is not of it, it is to be rejected. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) also stated: Whoever performs an act which is not of our Shari`ah, it is to be rejected. (Related by Muslim)

Also, it is related by Muslim in his Sahih on the authority of Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) from the Prophet (peace be upon him) that he used to mention during the Friday Khutbah (sermon): To proceed, the best of the speech is embodied in the Book of Allah, and the best of the guidance is the guidance given by Muhammad. And the most evil affairs are innovations; and every innovation is an error.

Ibn `Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) stated: Whoever imitates any people is one of them. (Abu Dawood)

It is reported in the Two Sahih Books ( Al-Bukhari and Muslim) on the authority of Abu Sa`id (may Allah be pleased with him) from the Prophet (peace be upon him) that he stated: You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too. They said: O Messenger of Allah, (do you mean) the Jews and the Christians? He said: Who else?

We pray the innovations won't reach this level:

It was narrated Ibn Al-Musaiyab: The companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“Some men from my companions will come to my Lake-Fount and they will be driven away from it, and I will say, ‘O Lord, my companions!’ It will be said, ‘You have no knowledge of what they innovated after you left: they turned apostate as renegades (reverted from Islam).
Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Book 81, Hadith 174

The Prophet should have been the first to celebrate Birthday:

The best of mankind, our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), did not celebrate his birthday during his lifetime, nor did his Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet) after his death, or the Tabi`un (Followers, the generation after the Companions of the Prophet) during the first best three generations. If it had been a commendable act to celebrate the Prophet's birthday or any person's birthday, these grand people would have hastened to celebrate birthdays and the Prophet (peace be upon him) would have instructed and urged his Ummah (nation) to do so, or would have celebrated such occasions himself. Since neither of these took place, we have deduced that celebrating birthdays is a Bid`ah that should be abandoned and avoided as a way of obeying the Commandment of Allah (Glorified be He) and His Messenger (peace be upon him).

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, my Salat (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). {Qur'an 6 vs 162}

And I (Allah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone). {Qur'an 51 vs 56}

But verily, over you (are appointed angels in charge of mankind) to watch you. Kiraman (honourable) Katibin writing down (your deeds).
They know all that you do. {Qur'an 82 vs 10-12}

And finally to all non-Muslims reading this:

"For me are my deeds and for you are your deeds! You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do.

To us our deeds, and to you your deeds.

To you be your religion (of disbelief in Islamic Monotheism) and to me my religion (of Islam).

Powered by Source

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by firstolalekan(m): 9:06am On Dec 21, 2018
ftc
so what next?

3 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by yassjib: 9:08am On Dec 21, 2018
hmm
Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by muta1996(m): 9:17am On Dec 21, 2018
Jazakallahu khairan

3 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by muta1996(m): 9:19am On Dec 21, 2018
Kamelot77:
Av been eating Christmas food since I was a kid and I will continue to eat in every year.

The holy prophet {'s.a.w) was breed ND nourish with idol worshipper money

My brother, Please be careful... try and seek knowledge to know the truth.

9 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by collinometricx: 9:21am On Dec 21, 2018
Kamelot77:
Av been eating Christmas food since I was a kid and I will continue to eat in every year.

One of the few peace loving Muslims

26 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Abbeyrazaq20(m): 9:22am On Dec 21, 2018
Jazaqumulah khairan

3 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by justkebir(m): 9:28am On Dec 21, 2018
May Allah grant us all the understanding of the deen. many who partake in this innovated act do it as their desire Wills them when the Rasul SAW has warned us against every innovated matter. which leads to disbelief and later lead to hell.may Allah safeguard us

let's shun Innovation plz..Allah has completed the religion for us.no add ur own

الله المستعان

8 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Mccullum: 9:38am On Dec 21, 2018
Actually an imported religion will some how be difficult to understand fully due to it didn't grow from one's land.

Many Muslims doesn't understand that it's not permitted to celebrate birthdays in Islam and due to influence of what many muslims grown with such as as western world and Christians around us affecting awareness of many don'ts in Islam.

So therefore, may Allah soft our heart for total submission.

5 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by mareeam802(f): 9:47am On Dec 21, 2018
JazakaLlAahu khayran OP.

2 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Firebomber: 9:48am On Dec 21, 2018
Lol.. so funny when a Muslim is talking about celebrating Christmas as if Christian are forcing you to celebrate it with them... who care if you celebrate birthday or not, but I guess you can't make your comment without dragging Christian or Christianity into it...smh

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by xage(m): 9:52am On Dec 21, 2018
Thank you at @OP

Longtime ago I have stopped wishing them and have stopped eating their Christmas sacrifices...

To them is their belief and to us is ours.

3 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Jaqenhghar: 9:59am On Dec 21, 2018
Your business. Even your president celebrated his bday... 2wice

10 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by dhammielare(m): 10:07am On Dec 21, 2018
Which either way we chose to worship won't bring us to heaven what we have inside of us, the way we live our life when alive and the pact we have towards God is what will.
Have u heard of anybody saying when they got to heaven they ask them if they where Christian or Muslim before??
Definitely religion doesn't guarantee hell or heaven be wise my pple.

2 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Friend01(m): 10:11am On Dec 21, 2018
collinometricx:

One of the few peace loving Muslims

He is peaceful now because he is towing your line of thinking.
If tomorrow he goes against a fundamental aspect of your faith will call him peaceful?
Is this not hypocrisy?

4 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by xage(m): 10:16am On Dec 21, 2018
mamaafrik:
you are an idiot with that funny thing you typed.Even Baboon wont type such,christains needs to pick up their phones and complain to NCC about this bias dichotomy on Nairaland,they can comment on your own Christian threads without swearing an oath but you can't do the same on islamic thread,are you a second class citizens,Nigerian communication commission is toll free ,an they take and work on peoples complaint,dial 622 to do so.

Oh! Yes! So much moral and politeness from a Christian that they now see fellow human as baboon.

Anything else you like to teach me about Christianity religion

3 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by binsanni(m): 10:17am On Dec 21, 2018
Allahu Akbar

May Allah Increase you in knowledge.

Alhamdulilah for being a muslim

Juma't Kareem to you all

May Allah accept our prayers ameen

2 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Friend01(m): 10:18am On Dec 21, 2018
Firebomber:
Lol.. so funny when a Muslim is talking about celebrating Christmas as if Christian are forcing you to celebrate it with them... who care if you celebrate birthday or not, but I guess you can't make your comment without dragging Christian or Christianity into it...smh

Even at that, birthday celebration are not Christ like, but nothing but paganism.
You Christians are a very funny set of people.
You use the same mouth that you use in condemning paganism and the same mouth to praise and practice paganistic worship and you still say you are Christ followers.
If you are indeed christ followers, show us where he celebrated his birthday or any of his disciples in your Bible.
I know you can't, but you just follow. you desire and look for an ambiguous verse in your Bible to buttress it.
If this is not hypocrisy,I don't know what is.

3 Likes

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Embell: 10:19am On Dec 21, 2018
Hope you know there are pro-mawlid scholars.
Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by Friend01(m): 10:20am On Dec 21, 2018
mamaafrik:
you are an idiot with that funny thing you typed.Even Baboon wont type such,christains needs to pick up their phones and complain to NCC about this bias dichotomy on Nairaland,they can comment on your own Christian threads without swearing an oath but you can't do the same on islamic thread,are you a second class citizens,Nigerian communication commission is toll free ,an they take and work on peoples complaint,dial 622 to do so.

Hmm... Oya call NCC now.

As if somebody is forcing you to comment on a Muslim thread.

If you don't like it you can as well log out and never come back here.
Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by anigbajumo(m): 10:30am On Dec 21, 2018
Firebomber:

Read and understand bro,not only Xmas but other religion. Read up bro!!
Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by anigbajumo(m): 10:32am On Dec 21, 2018
Friend01:

Even at that, birthday celebration are not Christ like, but nothing but paganism.
You Christians are a very funny set of people.
You use the same mouth that you use in condemning paganism and the same mouth to praise and practice paganistic worship and you still say you are Christ followers.
If you are indeed christ followers, show us where he celebrated his birthday or any of his disciples in your Bible.
I know you can't, but you just follow. you desire and look for an ambiguous verse in your Bible to buttress it.
If this is not hypocrisy,I don't know what is.

Lol,Christianity is synonymous to western culture. You don't even amazed seeing them with semi-unclad dress to their place of worship every Sunday ..
Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by muta1996(m): 10:41am On Dec 21, 2018
Jaqenhghar:
Your business. Even your president celebrated his bday... 2wice
So is the president a proof for us to celebrate birthday too?
Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by irosky52(m): 10:43am On Dec 21, 2018
Jazzakumullahul khairan

1 Like

Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by makadon: 11:01am On Dec 21, 2018
Kamelot77:

this is what we called love
Re: Birthday, Christmas And Mawlid Celebration In The Light Of Islam by OkunrinOloro: 11:03am On Dec 21, 2018
grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Forced Divorce In Islam / Qur'an 109:6: The Height Of Hypocrisy / Ruling On Giving Medicine To The Patient Without His Knowledge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.